Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
Jul 26, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #946 of 1,332
Lets say for giggles that I was thinking of mounting some dynaco's near the ceiling corners in my bedroom. How would they sound up there provided that they were angled properly? And how would you go about mounting them there?

Jul 26, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #947 of 1,332
About the only advice I can give you is that if you do that, make sure the tweeters are down and the woofers are up toward the ceiling.

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #948 of 1,332
Anyone else know anything about the Dahlquist DQ-18?  They are back for sale locally on craiglist again for $270, something about them just calls to me, and I'm chomping at the bit.  I know I wouldn't be able to power them appropriately, but I'm looking down the road here.

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #949 of 1,332
If I wanted to add a small sub to my vintage speaker/receiver setup, is this possible? There is no sub out on the receiver of course. The sub is a Polk PSW10 active.

thanks...

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #950 of 1,332
Quote:
If I wanted to add a small sub to my vintage speaker/receiver setup, is this possible? There is no sub out on the receiver of course. The sub is a Polk PSW10 active.

thanks...

When I was picking up my Spec 2 amp last Saturday there was a guy talking to the Guru about this................all I overheard was "use the B speaker connections via RCA/Lineout"...................sorry I wasn't part of the conversation but I'm sure someone here or on AK can guide you. 

It can be done is what I believe. 

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #952 of 1,332
Jul 31, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #953 of 1,332
That's the right way - assuming you have a receiver with both an A and B speaker out, get a sub that is powered of course but has speaker-level inputs, which must do.  Very easy.

Jul 31, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #954 of 1,332
Quote:
That's the right way - assuming you have a receiver with both an A and B speaker out, get a sub that is powered of course but has speaker-level inputs, which must do.  Very easy.

So how close was I?  Do you use a Schosche line out thingie into RCA's into the powered sub?   Or are you saying the sub should be speaker wire acceptance type?  (Sorry, kind of butchered that question).   That may be very interesting to try myself. 

By the way Skylab - did you sell all your Darth Beyers?  I have a pair on the way..............going to try to revive that niche! 

Jul 31, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #955 of 1,332
Just to be clear, many if not most powered subs have speaker level inputs, which are simply converted in the subwoofer to line level before amplification.  This allows a very easy connection scheme to a vintage amp or receiver that has A/B speaker inputs where the user is only connecting one pair of speakers - the sub gets connected to the B speaker terminals, but because it it powered, essentially presents no load on the amp/receiver.

Jul 31, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #956 of 1,332
Another question guys. I have two pair of Vintage speakers. One KLH 38's and Dynaco a25's. Overall, I enjoy the KLH more. It just seems to suit my ear better for tone particularly with the mids. I tried stacking the KLH and Dynaco and while I did enjoy the increased "presence" of sound, the tone got kinda wonky. So now I'm thinking to sell off the Dynaco's and get another set of closely matched KLH to stack. 

If I'm way off on this, feel free to say so.

thanks...

Jul 31, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #957 of 1,332
I have never understood the idea of running two pairs of speakers full range at the same time.  I DO run my S-901's at the same time as my B&W DM-16's *BUT* basically only as a non-powered subwoofer - I have an 80 Hz low pass filter in line with the S-910's.

Jul 31, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #959 of 1,332
Indeed you could.  You just need to add a pair of these in line:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=266-442

Aug 1, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #960 of 1,332
I'm a little blue today - someone offered me a crazy fistful 'o money for my favorite speakers (that I didn't even have for sale...), so I had to say yes. Now I'm down to one pair of McIntosh's. I hope I find another set of XR-14's/16's soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back