Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
Dec 8, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #421 of 1,332

Quote:
Did you get them? And your in Michigan, aren't you?!

Oh, unfortunately, I did not end up getting them -- but that was due to scheduling conflict. The seller posted them on craigslist the day before he was leaving for a 2-month trip to Cairo and I didn't want to cancel my plans just to see the speakers. Ahh, well. It wasn't meant to be. I'm going to keep an eye out for another set nearby (in California, btw). 

Dec 8, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #422 of 1,332
Quote:

Oh, unfortunately, I did not end up getting them -- but that was due to scheduling conflict. The seller posted them on craigslist the day before he was leaving for a 2-month trip to Cairo and I didn't want to cancel my plans just to see the speakers. Ahh, well. It wasn't meant to be. I'm going to keep an eye out for another set nearby (in California, btw). 

I understand, there was a pair on my craigslist (Michigan) for $300 as well.

Dec 8, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #423 of 1,332
Quote:

although you are allegedly hating the quest, how about a JBL Paragon cabinet? very high WAF: see it here

Dec 20, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #425 of 1,332
Quote:
I have a Marantz 2265B and looking for a pair of nice bookshelf/monitor to match it.  I don't want to spend over $500, what do you guys recommend?

Where are you located?

Dec 20, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #427 of 1,332
I haven't really checked out vintage bookshelf speakers.  Small bookshelf speakers really didn't exist much back in the day - as it was not really possible back then to get much bass from them, and there really weren't subwoofers.

That said I would love to have a pair of vintage Rogers LS-3/5A's, which are small bookshelf speakers, and sound great with no sub, but they go for $1,500-2,500/pair.

Dec 20, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #428 of 1,332
Quote:

Maybe look at studio monitors as they are very neutral but in your size. Adam, Genelec, etc all make speakers as such. Also look into vintage B&W for vintage bookshelf as they did make some good stuff!

Dec 21, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #429 of 1,332
Good point about some vintage B&Ws - that could be a great way to go.

Dec 21, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #431 of 1,332
Passive woofer domes on the KG4s are easily fixed with a vacuum cleaner hose judiciously applied to pull them back out.  Killer price!!!

Dec 21, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #432 of 1,332
Dec 22, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #435 of 1,332
Over the week, I was able to get my mom to part with my grandfather's speakers he built (he assembled the cabinets with the speakers) in the early 60s. After a little searching and reading, it seems the Electro-Voice SP12B is a well thought of speaker for its time. I don't intend to alter the original build too much, but I would like to improve the sound.

Since I don't know much when it comes to speakers, any input is welcome. It looks like the cabinet has room to grow in the top (horn?) and in the middle/side (tweeters?). I just don't know if that would be good or necessary in my current environment. These speakers will be used in a small living room (11.5x13) with wooden floors, a high ceiling, and powered via Marantz 2275. So far, the only mod I have in store is a Vibrapod (http://www.vibrapod.com/) of sorts for the base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back