Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
Nov 13, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #391 of 1,332

Quote:
Wow, that seems pretty serious. Ill be sure not to do that!

Well you don't start out to do it....
very_evil_smiley.gif

ZoomButt.gif

i think I did it a lot with the Maggies because although I love their sound I guess I was always trying to get more dynamic slam out of them so I would at time turn up the volume more and more until..

I  went through a lot of ribbon tweeters on my maggeis for sure. i've had the large maggies one per side and the four 

I had two kinds of maggies in the 80's  the MG 3's which are two panels, one right speaker and one left speaker like you see today and the Tympani I's.

You have to see the tympani I's to believe them. Here is a link or two.
http://www.msshifi.com/crazy-super-insane-sales/speakers/floorstanders/magnepan-tympani-1-speakers-not-working.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnepan-Tympani-1-speakers-not-working-/350500025365#ht_1404wt_1398

ZoomButt.gif

Nov 13, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #392 of 1,332
I guess I should work my way in here since I'm needing some speakers in the near future and my dad won't give me his La Scala IIs 
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #393 of 1,332
I think it was sometime in the summer of 1974, I was at a backyard party. The guy throwing the party had a pair of JBL L100's on his terrace. As I recall, he had em hooked up to a Marantz 2270 Receiver inputting  a Dual 1219 Record Changer. I really can't recall what LP's were spinning that night; but, I do remember, as I listened to the music, I said wow. I'm still  wowed by those speakers.   I think JBL L100's are just awesome.

I could  not afford to buy JBL L100's at that time; but, later, I got a pair of  L100t3's,  which I'm not sure sound quite like the original L100's, although I'm not complaining. My L100t3's are paired with L20t3's, a JBL Cinema Center, and a JBL B380 passive sub-woofer, for a really spectacular HT system. Piano, cello, guitar, and vocal solos are too real on this system. Last night I played Yo-Yo-Ma's--Bach: Cello Suites, from computer to the JBL 100t3's;. and, it really wowed me too.

Nov 13, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #394 of 1,332
Quote:
Well you don't start out to do it....
very_evil_smiley.gif

ZoomButt.gif

i think I did it a lot with the Maggies because although I love their sound I guess I was always trying to get more dynamic slam out of them so I would at time turn up the volume more and more until..

I  went through a lot of ribbon tweeters on my maggeis for sure. i've had the large maggies one per side and the four 

I had two kinds of maggies in the 80's  the MG 3's which are two panels, one right speaker and one left speaker like you see today and the Tympani I's.

You have to see the tympani I's to believe them. Here is a link or two.
http://www.msshifi.com/crazy-super-insane-sales/speakers/floorstanders/magnepan-tympani-1-speakers-not-working.html
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnepan-Tympani-1-speakers-not-working-/350500025365#ht_1404wt_1398
ZoomButt.gif

Wow, replacing panels is a few hundred dollars too now adays. Those are some odd looking speakers, they fold up and are 6 feet across by the looks of it...

Quote:
I think it was sometime in the summer of 1974, I was at a backyard party. The guy throwing the party had a pair of JBL L100's on his terrace. As I recall, he had em hooked up to a Marantz 2270 Receiver inputting  a Dual 1219 Record Changer. I really can't recall what LP's were spinning that night; but, I do remember, as I listened to the music, I said wow. I'm still  wowed by those speakers.   I think JBL L100's are just awesome.

I could  not afford to buy JBL L100's at that time; but, later, I got a pair of  L100t3's,  which I'm not sure sound quite like the original L100's, although I'm not complaining. My L100t3's are paired with L20t3's, a JBL Cinema Center, and a JBL B380 passive sub-woofer, for a really spectacular HT system. Piano, cello, guitar, and vocal solos are too real on this system. Last night I played Yo-Yo-Ma's--Bach: Cello Suites, from computer to the JBL 100t3's;. and, it really wowed me too.

I had the same setup, not really a Marantz guy, got my L100's for $100. You'll find a pair, just gotta give it some time.

Nov 14, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #395 of 1,332
I'm real happy with my L100t3's. Supported by a B380 sub, a Cinema Center, and L20t3's used as surrounds, I've got an awesome sound from my HT. My neighbor has original L100a's though and there is something about those that still appeal to me.

Nov 14, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #396 of 1,332
i have two sets of vintage speakers:

the [original] large advent [which i love...] and a MK sat and sub combo - the original satellite-1 with the volkswoofer

the advent is a classic, does any and everything i ask of it from home theater to guitar to vocals etc, and the MKs are such a surprise every time i listen to them, they both image and stage very well - those are mainly for music

Nov 16, 2011 at 7:39 AM Post #397 of 1,332

Quote:
Yup, those qualify. What are you running them with?

Hey Now,

The KEFs are juiced by a Hafler DH-220 and a Bottlehead Quickie pre-amp. I primarily use a Rega Planar 2 w/Grace 707 tonearm and AT-M440MLa cartridge via my Margules Magenta FZ47 phono stage or a Harman Kardon HD990 CD player/DAC with ALAC files. Mostly vinyl lately. I bought the speakers new and used it with an NAD7120 integrated for many, many years. Since upping the juice with the Hafler it has scaled up quite nice I must say 
wink_face.gif

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #398 of 1,332
Quote:
Hey Now,

The KEFs are juiced by a Hafler DH-220 and a Bottlehead Quickie pre-amp. I primarily use a Rega Planar 2 w/Grace 707 tonearm and AT-M440MLa cartridge via my Margules Magenta FZ47 phono stage or a Harman Kardon HD990 CD player/DAC with ALAC files. Mostly vinyl lately. I bought the speakers new and used it with an NAD7120 integrated for many, many years. Since upping the juice with the Hafler it has scaled up quite nice I must say 
wink_face.gif

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Very cool, im finally diving into right now as i got a great deal on a ADC 1600DD turntable with a Stanton EEE cartridge. FMI what does the phono stage perfect?

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #399 of 1,332

Quote:
Very cool, im finally diving into right now as i got a great deal on a ADC 1600DD turntable with a Stanton EEE cartridge. FMI what does the phono stage perfect?

First thing you might want to do is get a better mat and dampen the plinth.  It has a decent arm and motor but the entire body is plastic and will resonate easily.

Nov 17, 2011 at 10:18 AM Post #401 of 1,332
Figured I should check in here. 

I've got a set of JBL 4301Bs in my living room. They're used exclusively for the TV right now but I'll be revamping my speakers system over the next year or so along with wrapping up my headphone one. 

I need quite a few things to get it rolling though. I've got my CD player now, but I recently received a Pioneer PL518 TT that needs a new cartridge. I also need to rebuild and re-cap my Marantz 2238.

Hopefully in around 6 months I'll be looking at something like this...

Marantz SA8004 / iMac > W4S DAC 2 / PL518 > Marantz 2238 > JBL 4301B

And then I'll probably replace the JBLs... :D

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #402 of 1,332
Quote:
First thing you might want to do is get a better mat and dampen the plinth.  It has a decent arm and motor but the entire body is plastic and will resonate easily.

Thank you and ill look into these. FMI, have you looked at this turntable? I know it can resonate, but the body is solid, stated by some...

Nov 19, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #403 of 1,332

Quote:
Thank you and ill look into these. FMI, have you looked at this turntable? I know it can resonate, buy the body is solid, stated by some...

I have and removed the tonearm for project use.  I still have the dustcover lying around here and I kept the feet as they seem to be half decent, the rest has been recycled.  I think I have the platter somewhere too but I found it to be quite light in comparison to other turntables of that same era.  The tonearm is the only positive quality of that table, imo, it's still not a bad starter table but no where near the quality of my other tables. 

The plinth may look the part but it's hollow inside.  Which is why I suggest you get a better platter mat and dampen the plinth.  A good quality rubber mat and some clay or putty and you're good to go.

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #404 of 1,332
SOLD on November 23, 2011

Head-Fi doesn't have a vintage speaker section in the For Sale forum.  So, I'll make you aware of these in this thread.  If this is not allowed, mods please delete the post.

[size=1.2em] FS: JBL L40 speakers[/size]

$100, local pickup preferred in western PA area. Will ship if you pay the UPS packing/shipping fee, which could run in the neighborhood of $100 (a guesstimate based on past experience).

Specifications are listed in the attached PDF file.

I'd rate these 8.5 out 10 on cosmetics and 10 out of 10 on functionality. One grill cloth has a very small snag. There are a couple of small nicks in the veneer. The marks on the black baffles will come off. I had just finished waxing them when the pictures were taken.

The drivers are all original, woofers refoamed by me. They sound great.

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #405 of 1,332
Wow, some one got really good deal on JBL L-40. If I don't have too many speakers, I will jump on the deal at first glance.

Anyway, I have Pioneer HPM 60 recently picked up. I think only difference between hpm 60 and 100 is woofer size. Or maybe the wood veneer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back