Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
Nov 1, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #376 of 1,332
pictures please.

Quote:
Well I couldn't wait until Wednesday to pick up the forte II's. At 400.00 I was afraid they wouldn't last till then(they go for close to 1000.00 on ebay). When I got there to try them out, I noticed one of the high frequency horns was out. The seller dropped to price 50.00, and that makes this a even better steal. I was already planning to upgrade the diaphrams to the Bob Crites, so now I'm only out 10.00 since the Crites only cost 60.00. Since these are the same diaphrams in the kg4s I just swapped them when I got home. I was first surprised how similar they sounded to the kg4's. But they sounded way better. The soundstage is much bigger, much deeper and tighter bass. The mids are sooo much more refined now since these not only have horns for the treble, but also have mid horns. Although they share a similar sound signature they are in another league. But like the kg4's the epics have a completely different sound signature, and it's a pitty kilpsch only made these for a short period. But I do prefer these to even my epics which I love. I think the epics sound much better than their 2000.00 msrp would suggest. The forte II's with the Bob Crites just sound gorgeous!!

Nov 1, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #377 of 1,332

Quote:
What was your favorite type of chair? I love Herman Miller chairs, just dont have that type of money to shell out yet. I bet some have vintage MCM lounge chairs...

Herman miller chairs are pretty to look at but not very comfortable for the long haul.  The best chair has good lumbar support to keep your lower back position in the proper lordosis, a seat that doesn't extend to far out to cur off circulation to you legs, and a good back support so your upper back can get support when you need it.  Sessions can go 10-12 14 or more sometimes.  A bad chair can kill you.

I just dont know about them electrostatics. I have some L100's now, but it seems like electrostatics need monoblocks or some special amp, im an amature when it comes to this type of speaker.

Here are my most favorite electrostatics.  The Martin Logan CLS II.  You can drive them with a Krell KSA 80.  Which is an 80 watt amp or pretty much anything worthy of high end.  It's not so much that they need current as much as they need a very good high end amp.  something with great transparency and resolving power.    What is an "amature"    

If I were to get back into speakers again I'd have to buy a used pair of these (because they don't make them anymore) and send them to Martin Logan to refurbish.   If I couldn't go electrostatic with Martin Logan CLS II's my second choice would be one of the high end maggies.  

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #378 of 1,332
Quote:
Cool!  At least the seller is reasonable.  I've dealt with some with non-functioning tweeters and they barely dropped the price due to whatever justification they had in their minds.  Even if the horn was completely dead, $50?  Hard to pass on that!

Same with me, when picking up the L100's i noticed no grills, more thick damage than i imagined (thought it would be more scratches, but i had a chunk missing) and he was giving me the lecture, in person, that he told me that these problems were there, he didn't really, and so he would not drop the price at all. He tried threatening me saying that he could at least double what he was asking (got em for $100) so i just bought them at $100 and left.

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #379 of 1,332
Quote:
Herman miller chairs are pretty to look at but not very comfortable for the long haul.  The best chair has good lumbar support to keep your lower back position in the proper lordosis, a seat that doesn't extend to far out to cur off circulation to you legs, and a good back support so your upper back can get support when you need it.  Sessions can go 10-12 14 or more sometimes.  A bad chair can kill you.

Here are my most favorite electrostatics.  The Martin Logan CLS II.  You can drive them with a Krell KSA 80.  Which is an 80 watt amp or pretty much anything worthy of high end.  It's not so much that they need current as much as they need a very good high end amp.  something with great transparency and resolving power.    What is an "amature"    

If I were to get back into speakers again I'd have to buy a used pair of these (because they don't make them anymore) and send them to Martin Logan to refurbish.   If I couldn't go electrostatic with Martin Logan CLS II's my second choice would be one of the high end maggies. 

"Amature" i meant as i dont know much about electrostatic speakers. Are you familiar with the Steelcase Think chair? Those are also im my book of chairs that im looking at. Old 1990's electrostatics you can find commonly for $100-200, whether or not they play, is another subject in itself.

Nov 1, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #380 of 1,332

Quote:
"Amature" i meant as i dont know much about electrostatic speakers. Are you familiar with the Steelcase Think chair? Those are also im my book of chairs that im looking at. Old 1990's electrostatics you can find commonly for $100-200, whether or not they play, is another subject in itself.

Wit which 1990's electrostatics are you talking about?   I might be interested in something.    I never se any ads for electrostatics...

the only way to pick a good chair is to go sit in it. 

Nov 1, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #381 of 1,332
Quote:
Wit which 1990's electrostatics are you talking about?   I might be interested in something.    I never se any ads for electrostatics...

the only way to pick a good chair is to go sit in it. 

The Maggies, you can find them on craigslist and estate sales for that type of speaker. I saw a craigslist ad about 7-8 months ago on a pair for $200 and i called them, but they were gone. That was the time i wanted a pair of speakers tall than me
tongue.gif

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #382 of 1,332

Quote:
The Maggies, you can find them on craigslist and estate sales for that type of speaker. I saw a craigslist ad about 7-8 months ago on a pair for $200 and i called them, but they were gone. That was the time i wanted a pair of speakers tall than me
tongue.gif

Ah, I hope I wasn't misleading placing the maggies in the same sentence as the Martin Logan CLS II's since they are not electrostatics but magnetic planars.  I 'm not too keen on buying Magnapans used myself.  They can be abused more than some speakers might be and so I'd always go for them new.  I've had maggies where I've driven the panels to arc and spark causing pinholes in the mylar.   

Nov 2, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #383 of 1,332
Quote:
Ah, I hope I wasn't misleading placing the maggies in the same sentence as the Martin Logan CLS II's since they are not electrostatics but magnetic planars.  I 'm not too keen on buying Magnapans used myself.  They can be abused more than some speakers might be and so I'd always go for them new.  I've had maggies where I've driven the panels to arc and spark causing pinholes in the mylar.   

Ya, they are pretty fragile and thats why one of the panels usually have to be replaced.

Nov 2, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #384 of 1,332
Just to be clear, Maggies are planar magnetic, and not electrostatic, and as such, the panels cannot and do not arc.  That is a problem exclusively for electostats.  Maggies are actually remarkably tough speakers.  With electrostats, however, you can arc them, and cause small holes in the diaphragm, which clearly isn't good.

Nov 2, 2011 at 6:11 PM Post #385 of 1,332

Quote:
Just to be clear, Maggies are planar magnetic, and not electrostatic, and as such, the panels cannot and do not arc.  That is a problem exclusively for electostats.  Maggies are actually remarkably tough speakers.  With electrostats, however, you can arc them, and cause small holes in the diaphragm, which clearly isn't good.

Sorry rob I was thinking about the tweeter ribbons in the maggies of which I have melted my share. Usually by running the volume way too high and not using the correct fuse for the tweeter (trying to cheat death).   I have seen problems such as holes occur in the maggies mylar and what appears to be some sort of sparking or maybe more to the point sparking snapping sounds when driven way with high current amps at very high volumes.    Never did see my CLS II's spark though. 

Nov 2, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #386 of 1,332
Yeah, that can be a big problem, melting the wires on the ribbon by juicing them and not having a low enough fuse value.  

Nov 12, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #388 of 1,332
Quote:
Yeah, that can be a big problem, melting the wires on the ribbon by juicing them and not having a low enough fuse value.  

Wow, that seems pretty serious. Ill be sure not to do that!

Nov 12, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #389 of 1,332
Hey Now,

I have a pair of KEF Reference 103.2's that are just superb. I have used them daily since the early 80's. I believe they started production in 1979. Do they qualify as vintage? I am on the verge of snagging a pair of KEF Reference 101's to use as my near field computer monitors. I guess I love that KEF sound signature. :p

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Nov 13, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #390 of 1,332
Quote:
Hey Now,
I have a pair of KEF Reference 103.2's that are just superb. I have used them daily since the early 80's. I believe they started production in 1979. Do they qualify as vintage? I am on the verge of snagging a pair of KEF Reference 101's to use as my near field computer monitors. I guess I love that KEF sound signature.
tongue.gif

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Yup, those qualify. What are you running them with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back