Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
Dec 23, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #436 of 1,332
As you probably have seen from your internet research, the SP12b is a well regarded "full range"driver.  It doesn't have a lot of very top end treble, or super deep bass, but should produce a pretty pleasant sound overall.  If you wanted to add a super tweeter you could, but you would have to fuss with some sort of high pass filter for it and cross it over very high, maybe at like 8-10K or something.

How do they sound now?

Dec 23, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #437 of 1,332
Another person suggested I add a super tweeter too. How difficult would it be to add a high pass filter and crossover?

The sound, as is, is good (but I also don't have any loudspeakers to reference it too). Right off the bat, I did notice the top end being slightly smoothed over. Also, the shy sub bass was taking away from the sound's authority and presence (realism?), but I was able to remedy that by using the loudness bump on the 2275. After adjusting a few more knobs, the sound is really there. It sounds good now. On a few tracks, I've found the sub bass to lack the proper oomph of a bass guitar, but overall, the speakers haven't disappointed
smile.gif

Dec 23, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #438 of 1,332
In the early 1960's I built an enclosure (singular, as in mono) using a 12 inch Electro Voice driver and an Electro Voice horn tweeter.  Can't recall the model numbers.  Thought it sounded pretty good at the time, but then I didn't know much better.  Powered it with a Scott Kit amplifier.

Dec 28, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #439 of 1,332
So my NOS Infinity Kappa 6's arrived. They were for sure NOS - absolutely look unused and in original packaging.  Hard to imagine, really...I guess just discovered sitting in some warehouse...and the seller had 5 pairs! I was a little worried at first, but I am glad I took the chance.

They sound GREAT.  I am really impressed.  The Kappa was Arnie Nudell's last great speaker line at Infinity...and these things are terrific...amazing for the $560 I paid INCLUDING shipping of the 90 pound box...

Dec 28, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #441 of 1,332
Thanks Meewoo 
smily_headphones1.gif

They certainly sound different! I like them both quite a bit.  The Kappa 6 definitely is a little more refined.  That EMIT tweeter is something special.  But the HPM-100 has a very robust sound I really enjoy.  I will keep the HPM-100 in my main vintage rig upstairs, and the Kappas will live in my basement system.  I am lucky to have a couple of places to put stereos 
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #442 of 1,332
Quote:
Thanks Meewoo 
smily_headphones1.gif

They certainly sound different! I like them both quite a bit.  The Kappa 6 definitely is a little more refined.  That EMIT tweeter is something special.  But the HPM-100 has a very robust sound I really enjoy.  I will keep the HPM-100 in my main vintage rig upstairs, and the Kappas will live in my basement system.  I am lucky to have a couple of places to put stereos 
biggrin.gif

You have quite the leniency to have several systems... Lucky you.
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #443 of 1,332
The Kappas bring back memories for me.  I had two different pairs of the Kappa 9's   I bi amped them with two Krell 80 stereo amps  that I eventually turned into  Krell 160 mono blocks.

I only had them for about 6 months because one of the drivers failed on the first set and by the time I realized it Infinity had already put out a "B" revision of the Kappa 9's and so they sent me the "B" revision pair instead.   They were very dynamic speakers and excellent for Jazz but I was more fond of planars so I sold them for the top of the line Maggies at the time which I then proceeded to burn out the tweeters at least once a month.  

The Kappas had this control on the back of the speakers  (none of these photo are my own)   I didn't really like messing with all the controls another reason I traded them in.

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #444 of 1,332
Wow, those are beauties, WA. I understand why you didn't keep them, the 9's were a beast!  Sounded great I am sure but dipped to like 1 ohm, so I have read.  The little brother Kappa 6 are much easier to deal with
wink_face.gif

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #445 of 1,332

Quote:
Wow, those are beauties, WA. I understand why you didn't keep them, the 9's were a beast!  Sounded great I am sure but dipped to like 1 ohm, so I have read.  The little brother Kappa 6 are much easier to deal with
wink_face.gif

Those were my bachelor days.   I lived by myself and rented a house just for listening so space wasn't a problem.  I had a bed, a table to eat at, a couch and one system or another.  The 1 ohm dip wasn't a problem for the Krells.  I actually had my heart set on the Infinity RS 1 B's at the time but then Magnepan, The Wilson Tiny Tots & Pupps, and Martin Logan came into the picture.  For a while the Infinity RS 1B's were all the rage in the audio world.  To me those were the best days in audio.  It was still a time were a working man could get a really good system before the price of everything went into the 6 figure stratosphere.   The same thing is happening to headphones and headphone amps now. 

Jan 10, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #446 of 1,332
So I joined the club and purchased a set of HPM-100s last week. Finally found some acceptable stands for them too.

Right now they're being powered by a Marantz 2275. The HK730 and SX650 shown here need a bath before they can play 
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #447 of 1,332
Got these babies for almost nothing last weeks of 2011 wee~ Now serving as TV/HTPC speakers in one of the rooms in my place hehe Those monstrous 12" woofers really rock the house!

Jan 10, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #448 of 1,332
Hey Now,

I have an opportunity to get a vintage Wharfedale W70D speakers for $125, anyone know anything them? Thanks.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Jan 10, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #449 of 1,332

Quote:
So I joined the club and purchased a set of HPM-100s last week. Finally found some acceptable stands for them too.

Right now they're being powered by a Marantz 2275. The HK730 and SX650 shown here need a bath before they can play 
biggrin.gif

Looks great, Treal!

Jan 10, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #450 of 1,332
Quote:
Hey Now,

I have an opportunity to get a vintage Wharfedale W70D speakers for $125, anyone know anything them? Thanks.

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Id grab them, hopefully the cabnits are in good condition. $400-1000 resale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back