Calling all SOURCE pictures!
May 7, 2005 at 4:55 PM Post #76 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69
My NAD 502 CD player (transport) and Ack! dAck! v2.0 D/A converter...
621380_54_full.jpg

Hey! That was my first true cd player. Just five days!!. it started to fail and they (the shop) changed for the NAD 512.

May 7, 2005 at 4:56 PM Post #77 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by bundee1
Oski what kind of speakers are those? You have the most aesthetically pleasing set-up Ive seen in a while. I especially like the 45/33 poster.

Thanks Bundee, I appreciate that. The 45/33 print is by Evan Hecox who did some of the graphics for Burton snowboards. The speakers are B&W P6 that is now discontinued.

May 7, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #78 of 126
Quote:

My NAD 502 CD player (transport) and Ack! dAck! v2.0 D/A converter...
621380_54_full.jpg

kontai69, what isolation platform do you have under the player in that pic? I don't think I've see that one or at least I don't think I have. I don't have a true rack and have been considering a platform of some kind to isolate as well as getting some sort of padding/barrier to place on top of my Sony player to give me another spot for gear while at the same time adding a bit of stabilization. I guess what I really need to do is appropriate the sitting area of my master bedroom for a listening area. Buy a super comfortable chair, rack and have my own space for a change. Only one thing standing in my way.....but heck, I love her so.....

May 7, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #79 of 126
640 crop P1010001.jpg

My new fragile one-off: dddac1543 with 16 chips in parallel, improved clock power regulator, powered off a 12v 18ah battery, el cheapo 12 step attenuator, blah blah.

May 7, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #81 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shosta
Hey! That was my first true cd player. Just five days!!. it started to fail and they (the shop) changed for the NAD 512.

Yeah, I've read alot about problems with the 502. I guess I've been lucky. Other than an intermitent "sticking" drawer, the unit has performed flawlessly for over 12 years.
I've recently bought a new Cambridge Audio 640C for use as a transport for my Ack! dAck!. I am NOT pleased with it. The bass is weak. The treble is too bright. There is an overall "harshness" to the sound. The soundstage is too forward for my liking. Using the 640C's analog output, the sound is similar. And yes, I let it burn in (>36hr). In contrast, the 502's sound, both as a transport and as a player, is nice and warm, with deep bass and overall smoothness. I'm really convinced now that transports do matter.

May 7, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #82 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
kontai69, what isolation platform do you have under the player in that pic?

KenW,
It's a Townshend Audio platform. I bought it over a dozen years ago and TMK, they are no longer in business. I've seen them on eBay every now and then. It was pretty expensive for what it is...a bicycle inner tube sandwiched between two metal platforms. I'm sure one could easily fabricate a similar device for less.

May 7, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #83 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulbarras
Here's my little setup.

The source is a Marantz CD-7, the little red tin is a cheap headphone amp, Dr. Head, I think it is called. The headphones are obviously HD 600s, and the amp is a Burmester Rondo 991, linked to a set of Totem Rainmakers.

Not the best matching of components, admittedly, but budget and space constraints prevent further expenditures.

The budget can't be too bad if you have a CD-7
icon10.gif

May 7, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #84 of 126
Quote:

KenW,
It's a Townshend Audio platform. I bought it over a dozen years ago and TMK, they are no longer in business. I've seen them on eBay every now and then. It was pretty expensive for what it is...a bicycle inner tube sandwiched between two metal platforms. I'm sure one could easily fabricate a similar device for less.

Thanks. I'd seen a DIY project very similar to what you describe. Nice looking. Too bad they're out of business. I'll keep my eyes open on ebay. Curious as to what a good price for a used one would be should I stumble across it. What did it go for new?

May 7, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #85 of 126
Quote:

In contrast, the 502's sound, both as a transport and as a player, is nice and warm, with deep bass and overall smoothness. I'm really convinced now that transports do matter.

I agree, the bass in NAD CDs (512 too) is warm and solid as a rock. I have yet the NAD 512 but now my primary source is a Musical Fidelity A3 CD, less solid bass but extended, and more detailed and liquid sound.

May 7, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #86 of 126
Quote:

The budget can't be too bad if you have a CD-7

The budget wasn't too bad, but after the CD-7 and the amp, it was gone. Hence the lack of furniture and fancy CD Racks.

But at least it sounds good.
icon10.gif

May 7, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #87 of 126
Head-Fi'ers --

I am not trying to be demanding or power-hungry here, but...
The topic calls for a specific user response, source pictures.
wink.gif

I am trying to keep this thread's bandwidth as low as possible.

Please try to stay on topic, you hooligans!
biggrin.gif

BANGPODDER

May 8, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #88 of 126
Should a thread stay on topic? Yes. Does text take up a lot of bandwidth. No!

Alright, here's a picture of my favorite sauce:
jar_trad_7gMarinara.jpg

May 8, 2005 at 1:28 AM Post #89 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Curious as to what a good price for a used one would be should I stumble across it. What did it go for new?

I paid around $150 new. Used it actually goes for around the same price! Here is a product currently available that appears similar...

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...m%20in%20Black

May 8, 2005 at 1:40 AM Post #90 of 126
immtbiker --

You need a taste of your own medicine, methinks!
wink.gif
The following is what YOU remind ME of!
biggrin.gif

Rhinoceros.jpg

BANGBANDWIDTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back