Calling all HD 800, HD 800S, and HD 8XX owners
Mar 15, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #106 of 182
Hello Head-Fi!

When the original HD 800 was launched in 2009, it ushered in both a sound and design that was unlike anything we had done before. We’re seeking input from owners of the open 800 family (past and present models) in the form of a quick survey. Because the questions span a few different response types (ranked choice, check boxes, multiple choice) you'll need to click the link below to take it, however It is anonymous, quick, and does not require registration of any kind. Lastly, the questions range from acoustics to ergonomics.

The survey will close on April 3rd. If you have any questions about the survey, @ericpalonen will be here to answer them.

Thank you for your time and feedback.

>>The Survey<<

--

I filled out the survey based on my experience with a HD 800 S model.

Just a brief comment: I feel like the questions in the survey didn't really leave any room for feedback on the domain of sound quality. It's a decent headphone, really good for specific music genres, but has it's often mentioned drawbacks (eg bass representation).

Mar 15, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #107 of 182
I filled out the survey.

If we could get a cable that does not eventually fall apart at the rubber y-split, that would be cool! (See image below). Also, removing the proprietary connectors would make replacing this cable less painful by being less expensive.

l4VrjfN.jpg

I do not think the sound signature needs to be touched. Especially if at the expense of the subjective sound qualities I love. I did not like the direction the 8xx, 58x, 660s, and 660s2 went with the sound (mid bass boosts and recessed treble, muddying up the vocals and treble detail). There's always compromise with tuning changes, and I think where the 800/800s ended up was good! If I want to change the sound signature, I can always EQ. The last thing I want is more damping added to the front, which I believe will just blunt the trailing tones, dull the dynamics, and overall create a less natural sound.

As for comfort, it's all around good, but I sure do love suspension straps! A suspension strap would better distribute the weight, feel cooler on the head, and could provide an opportunity to make the sliders more stable/robust.

Mar 15, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #108 of 182
Worshipping a fine flagship as @listenerwww almost suggests does not bring progress. We might as well have stayed with the HD-600/650, judging by widespread worshipping! Then the 800/800s would have never appeared.
Fun fact: Grell’s vision for the HD800 actually began around 1994, and took 15 years to get right. Which I don’t think is incompatible with my view of “stop iterating on legendary lineups with worse designs.” HD800 was not an iteration of the 6 series, but was always planned to be an entire next step forward. Which is why they still sell HD600 and 650; they’re different but still amazing.

Innovation is important, but since the scope of this thread and this survey was about improving the existing 8 series, the bulk of my messaging has been re: what changes fans of 800 actually want. Most of the opinions that actually hold weight from long time users (to me) are regarding comfort/accessory quality, and that both makes sense & means Sennheiser likely should just focus on those things instead of experimenting with rear damping as the pictures I posted suggest.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Mar 15, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #109 of 182
Fun fact: Grell’s vision for the HD800 actually began around 1994, and took 15 years to get right. Which I don’t think is incompatible with my view of “stop iterating on legendary lineups with worse designs.” HD800 was not an iteration of the 6 series, but was always planned to be an entire next step forward. Which is why they still sell HD600 and 650; they’re different but still amazing.

Innovation is important, but since the scope of this thread and this survey was about improving the existing 8 series, the bulk of my messaging has been re: what changes fans of 800 actually want. Most of the opinions that actually hold weight from long time users (to me) are regarding comfort/accessory quality, and that both makes sense & means Sennheiser likely should just focus on those things instead of experimenting with rear damping as the pictures I posted suggest.
No successful company focuses on minorities.
Companies focuses on attracting as much people as possible.
I like Sennheiser for their durable products, but when it comes to sound i would preferred Utopia.
Now if Sennheiser can improve technicalities and tuning im sure many people would be all over it.

Senns are great, but none of them can play majority of genres well.
Hd800S and hd650 are special in some genre, but awful in anothers.
Better tuning would help.

Mar 15, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #110 of 182
...since the scope of this thread and this survey was about improving the existing 8 series...
We cannot be sure about that unless it is clearly stated. The call asks for "input from owners of the open 800 family (past and present models)" but does not specify the intended use of the results. It could just us well mean "please comment on the current flagship because we plan to make an even better/more successful one". Sennheiser selected not to say more at this time, which is quite normal. All we know is that an HD-800S2 is not coming (denied twice), but of course decisions can change. I am almost confident that Sennheiser will make the best use of the survey but we need to do so in the first place. (That's why I pasted the survey link in some other threads too.)

Mar 15, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #112 of 182
No successful company focuses on minorities.
Companies focuses on attracting as much people as possible.
I like Sennheiser for their durable products, but when it comes to sound i would preferred Utopia.
Now if Sennheiser can improve technicalities and tuning im sure many people would be all over it.

Senns are great, but none of them can play majority of genres well.
Hd800S and hd650 are special in some genre, but awful in anothers.
Better tuning would help.
Fwiw I don’t think I disagree with a single thing you’ve said. The tuning change I and others have said they need to make is one that IMO make it more of an all rounder (fixing the 2kHz dip). I don’t think that’s a fringe opinion.

The “more bass” opinion may be more popular, but is harder to do acoustically with this design and will almost certainly come at the expense of other things. That’s all :)

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 15, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #113 of 182
I love my pair of HD800s, but my only gripes that I think many other people have are the connectors, using something like even the connectors on the 600 line up, mini 4-pin, etc would all be a much needed change in my opinion. On a more subjective note I think having a little more linear extension on the bass would be a welcome change but other than that they're my perfect open backs in terms of comfort, soundstage, etc.

Mar 15, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #114 of 182
Fwiw I don’t think I disagree with a single thing you’ve said. The tuning change I and others have said they need to make is one that IMO make it more of an all rounder (fixing the 2kHz dip). I don’t think that’s a fringe opinion.

The “more bass” opinion may be more popular, but is harder to do acoustically with this design and will almost certainly come at the expense of other things. That’s all :)
I think they should change design completely for next flagship... Maybe improve hd800S and name it hd800S2 xd and make hd900 with completely different desing?
He1 desing is great why they cant reuse it for hd900?
I believe models like that would be wildly succesful and maybe people with deep pockets would buy both models?
I probably talking too much nonsene... Will shut up now.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #115 of 182
It's crazy how the "majority" evidently wants "more bass" at the expense of everything else that makes the 800 great ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
Who said more bass "at the expense of something" ? No one. This is just a fear. Those who fear that, have surely not listened to the Neumann NDH 30. Since Neumann+Sennheiser technologies have already offered the most complete and almost faultless dynamic headphone under $ 2000, (for $ 640), then Sennheiser can improve on that or at least "repeat" it. It is not magic. But I am sure they target higher.
My only "fear" would be pricing. We "audiophiles" prove constantly that we need to spend silly money to reassure ourselves that we bought the best possible sound (how stupid). And companies know that. Some small ones are based entirely on that.

Mar 15, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #116 of 182
Filled out the survey. I had 4 different hd800/S in the past. i settled with an old serial number SN 144xx silver HD800. I found the widest soundstage and most clean and analytical technical sounding from all headphones I owned (including utopia , He1000 and other Hd800/S ) . Most of all for me , the laser sharp technical capabilities and wide soundstage is the most important. The driver needs to render every small hidden nuance in the music and it needs to be presented in a very spacious way to be truly an immersive listening experience, and it needs to be presented in the most lifelike tuned way. I hope the new HD800S2 or named anything, is coming .

Mar 15, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #117 of 182
Who said more bass "at the expense of something" ? No one. This is just a fear. Those who fear that, have surely not listened to the Neumann NDH 30. Since Neumann+Sennheiser technologies have already offered the most complete and almost faultless dynamic headphone under $ 2000, (for $ 640), then Sennheiser can improve on that or at least "repeat" it. It is not magic. But I am sure they target higher.
My only "fear" would be pricing. We "audiophiles" prove constantly that we need to spend silly money to reassure ourselves that we bought the best possible sound (how stupid). And companies know that. Some small ones are based entirely on that.
Disagree vehemently. NDH-30 has plenty of faults, and IMO more of them than things less than half the price. NDH-30 has quality control/unit variation issues, headband discomfort, too much weight, significant positional variance, midrange suckout (2kHz) and overly-dulled treble. I’d say HD650 only shares about half of those problems.

IMO there’s just no reason to spend $650 on NDH-30 when you can spend 30% of that on HD650, which has better QC, comfort, build, and sonics across the board except for perhaps raw bass extension.

NDH-30 continues the trend that 560S started where bass extension seemingly as a major design goal causes them to introduce significant acoustic impedance and heavily damp the system to bring bass SPL relatively higher. It results in it being an incredibly dull listen.

With 660S2 they did this by lowering driver F0, which is no doubt a better way to do this, but IMO still not worth it to do when people already like the driver like with HD 800S.

These products *are precisely* the reason we are worried about bass extension being overly harped on, as it leads to (in the cases of 560S, 8XX, NDH-30) overdamping the system.
660S2 may have been a genuine improvement over the 660S, but certainly is not over the previous predecessors. But the trend of Sennheiser’s recent releases focusing on bass extension is hard to debate, as basically everything since the first 660S has targeted bass extension as a goal (and been marketed to reflect that goal).

I want to be clear, I’m not saying we’re against bass. I’m saying, acoustically the compromises that come with how you add more bass to a headphone are predictable in how they would negatively affect other metrics, and the trade off just isn’t worth it usually IMO.

Last edited:

Mar 15, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #118 of 182
Purchased the HD800s just to participate in the survey :thumbsup: :L3000:

My 02cents, let the HD800s be. If you want to make improvements based on its strengths and success, create a new model and call it whatever you want, e.g. HD900... etc.

Don't dilute what will become a lasting legacy!
20230315_153616.jpg

Mar 15, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #119 of 182
Disagree vehemently. NDH-30 has plenty of faults, and IMO more of them than things less than half the price. NDH-30 has quality control/unit variation issues, headband discomfort, too much weight, significant positional variance, midrange suckout (2kHz) and overly-dulled treble. I’d say HD650 only shares about half of those problems.

IMO there’s just no reason to spend $650 on NDH-30 when you can spend 30% of that on HD650, which has better QC, comfort, build, and sonics across the board except for perhaps raw bass extension.

NDH-30 continues the trend that 560S started where bass extension seemingly as a major design goal causes them to introduce significant acoustic impedance and heavily damp the system to bring bass SPL relatively higher. It results in it being an incredibly dull listen.

With 660S2 they did this by lowering driver F0, which is no doubt a better way to do this, but IMO still not worth it to do when people already like the driver like with HD 800S.

These products *are precisely* the reason we are worried about bass extension being overly harped on, as it leads to (in the cases of 560S, 8XX, NDH-30) overdamping the system.
660S2 was a genuine improvement over the 660S, but not over the previous predecessors. But the trend of Sennheiser’s recent releases focusing on bass extension is hard to debate, as basically everything since the first 660S has targeted bass extension as a goal (and been marketed to reflect that goal).

I want to be clear, I’m not saying we’re against bass. I’m saying, acoustically the compromises that come with how you add more bass to a headphone are predictable in how they would negatively affect other metrics, and the trade off just isn’t worth it usually IMO.
I am sorry to conclude that this is an answer from someone who can not even start to imagine how the NDH 30 sounds or feels. It is clear that you have never touched one (not even talking about listening to it). These are just random collected complaints irrelevant with the actual product - apart from the "very heavy" ...352 gr! Heavier than the HD-800S by the vast amount of 22gr !!! LoL (I will comfort you by saying that my pair weighs 372gr actually). Let's be serious about weight...

Product variation is something I hate and can hardly forgive. I can't comprehend how many manufacturers accept it. If this happend to Neumann too, they know how to solve it, once and for all. Moreover, Sennheiser says for Neumann (exact words): "Neumann is incredibly strict on tolerances for this model (NDH 30) in a way that it's on the edge of what's possible in headphone series production, which may contribute to positive characteristics like soundstage".

A slight and very careful implemented midrange "suckout" of the NDH 30, practically inaudible, scares an HD-800 admirer??? Strange, since the HD-800 has a larger and deeper one (crinacle, solderdude, and others), but you love it as it is.

Headband discomfort? Yes, sometimes I forget to take my headphones off after the music stops, while working in my office. If I have been listening for 2-3 hours, an extra idle hour might annoy me and remind me that I am wearing them without reason. I would like a wider headband with a little deeper foam. Uncomfortable it is not!

Significant positioning variance? No, only SLIGHT because of the off-centered and angled drivers. The hype about this started by an unfortunate user (NDH 30 thread) who didn't realize he was wearing the headphones reversed, with the drivers firing almost from behind his ears. It has been proven much later. That way, the variance is big and the sound has much less treble. Wearing them correctly a few times (cable on the RIGHT) makes the user position them exactly and intuitively. We are talking about a non existing problem after the first uses.

Incredibly dull listen??? I am 53 but have always cared for my hearing. My high frequency loss is minimal for my age. Sometimes I feel I need more treble with the NDH 30, sometimes less. It is the recordings not the headphones. With the HD-800 almost all young persons dislike the excess of treble, I certainly did and rejected it many years ago. HD-800S repaired the treble issue but not completely. If you read somewhere that the NDH 30 is dull, please read the NDH 30 thread, filtering out all that you think is hype. The rest is enough. Or much better, dare to listen to it. But I warn you, it will ruin it for you. You will be forced to reconsider many things as many already did. The world advances, it is not magic, it is technology and knowledge combined by two major makers Sennheiser and Neumann.

[When you will listen to it, you are going to laugh remembering that you compared it to the HD-650. Which is my most loved headphone through the years. Bought in 2003 and again in 2022, two fine working and extremely enjoyable pairs. But the NDH 30 is a big improvement in everything sonically.]

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #120 of 182
While the HD800/S certainly has its strengths it is by no means perfect and I'd hope Sennheiser would address its sonic shortcomings. They definitely suit some genres of music such as classical where the staging and lean overall tone with a lack of bottom end work. I'd hope Sennheiser can build on those strengths while making the "HD900" or whatever it's called a more well rounded headphone that will work with a wider variety of music.

Also, I hope Sennheiser don't follow the industry trend and sell it at a completely unaffordable price. The 800/S has always seemed to me to provide outstanding value and I hope that continues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back