Calling all HD 800, HD 800S, and HD 8XX owners
Mar 14, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #76 of 182
Hello, this thread made me create an account :), I just had been a visitor so far enjoying all your discussions. I have owned a HD 800S for around 4 years and have loved it and often said that it has been my best purchase ever (note when I bought it, it cost one quarter of the money I had). But here is what I wanted to say. Often in reviews the reviewers mention the HD800s has a wide soundstage but headphones like HE1000Se/Arya/Stax X9000 are attributed with a tall and deeper soundstage with instruments and objects having height and width, whereas with the HD800s it sometimes seems the sounds are coming from points. Now these are subjective terms but the reason I am mentioning this is because even before seeing the reviews I told myself that sometimes the sounds do seem to be coming from specific points in space and I did miss them having some form of body. So this idea just did not come to me after I watched the reviews.
Dan Clark while talking about the Expanse specifically mentioned this effect, mentioning that this is caused by a lack of energy in a specific portion of the frequency response. At 11 minute mark of this video he starts talking about this :
A headphone reviewers say has a big soundstage comparable to the HD800s but still feels natural is the Warwick Bruvara.
Apart from this, I would hope that all the good things of the HD800S are preserved, the fact that it is so comfortable, and does not put any pressure or stress on the ears. I pray the soundstage width is not reduced if possible but I understand the limitations.

Thanks for sharing your experiences! Welcome to the community and please reach out at any time. We appreciate you choosing the HD 800 series when there are so many choices out there. Please scroll to the first post to click and take the survey...its a quick one, and could use your input. Cheers!

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Mar 14, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #77 of 182
Thanks for sharing your experiences! Welcome to the community and please reach out at any time. We appreciate you choosing the HD 800 series when there are so many choices out there. Please scroll to the first post to click and take the survey...its a quick one, and could use your input. Cheers!
Thanks for your reply and warm welcome. I already filled up the survey :)

Mar 14, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #78 of 182

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Mar 14, 2023 at 4:46 PM Post #79 of 182
Hello Head-Fi!

When the original HD 800 was launched in 2009, it ushered in both a sound and design that was unlike anything we had done before. We’re seeking input from owners of the open 800 family (past and present models) in the form of a quick survey. Because the questions span a few different response types (ranked choice, check boxes, multiple choice) you'll need to click the link below to take it, however It is anonymous, quick, and does not require registration of any kind. Lastly, the questions range from acoustics to ergonomics.

The survey will close on April 3rd. If you have any questions about the survey, @ericpalonen will be here to answer them.

Thank you for your time and feedback.

>>The Survey<<

--
I’ve owned the HD800 since 2013 and the HD800S I purchased more recently. I very much like both, and will keep both.

I design tube amplifiers and associated equipment professionally, and the 800 series is my top reference headphone.

I do also have various other Flagship planar headphones for various purposes and for variety of listening experience, but the HD800 series are for me irreplaceable and my most important and overall most favored headphones.

Please Sennheiser, I hope you are *NOT* planning any radical changes to the HD800 series. Please don’t radically modify the performance characteristics to try and appeal to everyone. IMO, the fact that the design and aesthetic of the 800 series has changed so little over the years is a significant factor in the appeal of these headphones. These headphones have become a reliable and esteemed reference in the industry.

You could perhaps add a little more padding to the ear foams and headband foam, and maybe shorten the cable set to 2 meters or so. Other than these few things, I sincerely hope very little else will be changed.

Whatever changes might happen, I sincerely hope that there would be substantial reverse-compatibility and interchangeableability of parts with the existing 800/S headphones.

The overall look and design of the 800 series has become something of a timeless classic, and is instantly recognizable from a distance in any scene or setting. Please take care, not to unduly change this iconic and esteemed headphone.

Think long-term staying-power and reputation built through time, and not so much short-term sales figures driven by the temporary excitement of things merely new or different :wink: The headphone world needs consistent and reliable standards through time such as HD800 series.

Thank you, for considering my thoughts.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #80 of 182
A point I forgot to mention in my first comment regarding my experience with HD 800S.
I noticed for some songs the transition of sound from left driver to right or vice versa is too stark, as if there is nothing in-between. At one point there is sound in the right and the next moment its on the left which seems a bit unnatural. I am not sure what causes this effect, but have seen reviewers praise the Goldplanar GL1200/ Raal Requisite sr1a as one where the transition between drivers is very smooth.
At 11:47 of this video

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #81 of 182
Honestly, I do not understand people, who are insisting on current sound signature and do not want any changes to sound at all. Does it mean that you would buy exactly same headphone sound-wise with updated design or comfort?
HD800S will remain available, so what's the point then?
Other manufactures proved that there is big space for an improvement in many aspects of the sound with the exception of soundstage maybe...

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #82 of 182
I don't think anyone needs to worry about the HD800 IMO - it sounds like they are developing from ground up, which is what they should be doing at this stage. Time for some new tooling and possibly drivers.

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:36 PM Post #83 of 182
Honestly, I do not understand people, who are insisting on current sound signature and do not want any changes to sound at all.
A lot of us are simply those who've been promised that new iterations on older designs are "improvements," yet are disappointed time and time again when they actually aren't.

The examples are myriad.

Clear MG (from Clear OG), Utopia 2022 (from Utopia OG), HE6se V2/Susvara (HE6 OG), HD660S (HD 650), HD8XX (HD 800), Meze Elite (Empyrean), Audeze LCD-5 (LCD-4), and those are just the ones off the top of my head.

All of the above are (in the opinion of myself and many others I know) downgrades from their predecessors, to the point where it seems the trend of the headphone market writ large is that things have just been getting worse.

If they intend on replacing HD 800S with a retuning, accomplished through any of the common pitfalls mentioned in my original reply, they'd unfortunately be exhibiting the same trend they and most other brands have already fallen victim to at this point. I'd genuinely rather it stay the same then witness the last truly great dynamic driver headphone (save for HD600/650) get replaced with something inferior.

Does it mean that you would buy exactly same headphone sound-wise with updated design or comfort?
Yes, or rather, I'd still be okay recommending it to others. I already own HD800 and it is plenty comfortable for me, but that can definitely be fixed to give others a better offering.

Other manufactures proved that there is big space for an improvement in many aspects of the sound with the exception of soundstage maybe...
Sure, but how many ways of improvement are actually possible with this design without altering (or killing) what makes it special?

Tuning a headphone is always a game of compromise, and if we're gonna have to lose something to gain something, I'm not confident (given Sennheiser's modern direction) that the tradeoff would be worth it to me or the others who like the design as it is.

What would be worth it... is a suspension strap :D

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Mar 14, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #84 of 182
Clear MG (from Clear OG), Utopia 2022 (from Utopia OG), HE6se V2/Susvara (HE6 OG), HD660S (HD 650), HD8XX (HD 800), Meze Elite (Empyrean), Audeze LCD-5 (LCD-4), and those are just the ones off the top of my head.
That's your opinion. I disagree.

Mar 14, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #85 of 182

Mar 14, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #86 of 182
Just want to add, I would personally prefer it if you kept the pad and headband material synthetic. They work fine, a lot of people prefer them for their breathability, a lot of people aren't into leather for ethical reasons, and personally I don't find much validity in the 'it should have leather because leather = luxury' argument. An option for those who want it? Sure. But not bundled in with the headphone.

Mar 14, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #87 of 182
Define this first 👆
"A lot of us are simply those who've been promised that new iterations on older designs are "improvements," yet are disappointed time and time again when they actually aren't."

I can't speak to the entire consumer spread as a monolith, and I don't want to. But my experience in the community (in places Sennheiser has no eyes, which could be a failing on both of our parts; willing to work with you to remedy this if you are interested) has been that many *many* people feel this way about the products I mentioned earlier (660S, 660S2, HD820, HD8XX).

In my experience, audiophiles absolutely do not want more bass extension, soundstage, etc. out of an HD6 or HD8 series if it has to sacrifice what makes those headphones special (or downright legendary) in the first place to get there.

For HD660S and S2, Sennheiser sacrificed the midrange and treble of arguably the most legendary midrange and treble headphone of all time (HD650).
In my and others' opinions, there is *nothing* you could've gotten in return that would've made that tradeoff remotely worth it.

With HD820 and 8XX, you added pressure chamber and acoustic impedance problems to a design whose claim to fame was having an incredibly low acoustic impedance while still being based on a dynamic driver principle. This fact about HD 800(S) is hugely responsible for the almost unilateral praise it receives for it's "soundstage" (surprising for any headphone, given headphones are fundamentally devices of in-head localization.)

I was recently asked what my "Mount Rushmore of headphones" would be, if I had to pick four.

I cannot overstate how unique and special it is that after hearing (basically) everything out there, Sennheiser has two of the four entries locked.

Out of all of the headphones out there for all time, HD600 (sharing a spot with HD650) and HD800 get two out of the four spots.

Sennheiser has captured lightning in a bottle, not once, not twice, but three times! Most brands don't even do it once, and if they do, it's either an accident/something that they cannot replicate, or something they eventually get tired of and "improve upon." (The other two are HE6 and Focal Utopia OG, in case you're wondering.)

That is why Sennheiser is my favorite brand...

...and it's why I can't help but be disappointed when things like HD8XX are even taken seriously, let alone touted as an improvement or "next step forward."

...or why I'm so disappointed by the fact that 660S2 (which no doubt fixed some problems of the original 660S) are seemingly available in stores nationwide for people to try, while the HD600 and 650 are seemingly impossible for consumers to find for demo in stores.

I don't mean to come off as aggressive, accusatory, or overly negative. This is Head-Fi, I am a passionate consumer of headphones who cares enough about these products to type lengthy posts that I know will likely fall on deaf ears and never get anywhere near the people who actually make decisions.

The embarrassment of earnestly yelling into a void is worth it if there's even .1% chance of stopping HD 800S from being succeeded by another misstep in a market filled with them.

Please reach out in DMs if you are actually interested in seeing these places and meeting the people who are unhappy with the modern direction that's led to HD 660S, HD 660S2, HD 820, and HD 8XX, because they generally don't come to Head-Fi. We are all massive (arguably the biggest) fans of Sennheiser and we'd love to actually have our voices heard by the brand we hold in such high regard. I'm happy to answer any additional questions if you have them as well.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Mar 14, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #88 of 182
Just want to add, I would personally prefer it if you kept the pad and headband material synthetic. They work fine, a lot of people prefer them for their breathability, a lot of people aren't into leather for ethical reasons, and personally I don't find much validity in the 'it should have leather because leather = luxury' argument. An option for those who want it? Sure. But not bundled in with the headphone.
An excellent point, actually. Something like the suspension strap used on the Philips Fidelio X2 would be an excellent choice.

Screen Shot 2023-03-14 at 8.22.56 PM.png

Mar 14, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #89 of 182
A comment section would have been very appropriate. I have replaced 3 drivers (broken), 6 earpads (moldy), 3 headbands (moldy and worn out) and 3 cables (always fraying at the headphone connector ends.. It would have been good to comment how the materials chosen are not able to last in some environments (High humidity here). At this price level it needs fixing.

I love these headphones, but I would like them to not cost me the same money again in spare parts.

Mar 14, 2023 at 9:07 PM Post #90 of 182
A point I forgot to mention in my first comment regarding my experience with HD 800S.
I noticed for some songs the transition of sound from left driver to right or vice versa is too stark, as if there is nothing in-between. At one point there is sound in the right and the next moment its on the left which seems a bit unnatural. I am not sure what causes this effect, but have seen reviewers praise the Goldplanar GL1200/ Raal Requisite sr1a as one where the transition between drivers is very smooth.
At 11:47 of this video

CrossFeed will cure that affect, it has more to do with the recording than the headphones themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back