CALLING ALL CUSTOM IEM'S
Apr 13, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #226 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by TEHTARIK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3030177334_157e5ca457.jpg

my beloved ue-11s. in pink glory!

That color is activating my sweet-tooth almost as much as my "Jolly Rancher Sour Apple Green" ES3X...

headphoneaddict-albums-headphone-gear-picture2037-westone-es3x.jpg

Apr 13, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #227 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by TEHTARIK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3030177334_157e5ca457.jpg

my beloved ue-11s. in pink glory!

omg the colour and the shine!!!!
nice pink UE-11 u got there
n those IPOD still looks new
nice one TEHTARIK

Apr 19, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #232 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blue Hot Chili Peppers, or is that Orange Hot Chili Peppers?
wink.gif

Heh, I was going for a Californication theme with their logo. Turned out pretty well I think.

Apr 23, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #235 of 559
I started boycotting ABC when they started making us wait until January for the new season of Lost, while the other new shows came out in Sept. and Oct... They did the same thing with Alias a few years back so they could hype thier pre-Christmas DVD sales. And guess what? I'm surviving fine wihout it. Sorry to rant but back to your choice. I think it would be fine but there is so much more opportunity for expression than that.

Apr 24, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #236 of 559
Oh believe me I know haha... I was mostly testing the waters to see if anyone would kill me or not. Definitely not something I would get, but I would get a chuckle out of seeing someone else with them.

I am getting my first pair of customs in August, and I literally can't decide. I'll have the funds to comfortably purchase the UE-11s, but with so many lower-costing options out there, its hard not to re-consider. Is UE really the best? How come there is such a large price range across brands for 3-driver 'phones? How can Sleek really claim their 1-driver custom is on par with the UE-11?

So many questions. I could answer them myself by extrapolating from all the posts I've read here (I've been doing quite a bit of research for the past 6 months or so), but the answers I come up with are vague and backed by nothing.

As with any market that has certain companies that dominate that market (e.g. the computer software market, Microsoft), "paying for the name" becomes an issue. Hearyourself.com offers their triple driver custom for $375. Westone; 875. UE; 900.
Ultimate Ears has a stronghold on the professional market (live musicians), and therefore a large portion of the consumer market. Westone comes in second by being known as a good audio equipment company in general. Hearyourself.com seems to be (and I don't know the company's history, so forgive me if I make a royal mistake) targeting the lower end of the market in order to gain share. As I've read here and elsewhere, the custom art option seems to be a kicker for a lot of people, and in response, the custom IEM companies charge or don't charge for art depending on the product.

Now by all means there are more companies for customs (FreQ, Livewire, Sleek, etc...), but I'm just perplexed by the wide variety of options and prices for custom IEMs.

I would love to get the 11's, but if I can get the same SQ from something half as expensive, why not?

Apr 24, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #237 of 559
I had the SA6 that the sleek customs is built off of and they are nowhere near my C-3's. They better stay in coach and let UE fly first class. It's proposterous for anyone to put them any where near the UE's. It's been said by others who have tried both Hearyourself.com C-3's and UE11's that the C-3's are not as good but the price difference is probably not worth that much cash. Personally if I had the cash, I'd get some Senn HD800's and keep my C-3's.

Apr 24, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #238 of 559
There are probably less than a dozen driver options from the two main companies that supply them, So all of the IEM labs are using pretty much the same drivers in different configurations. The differences I feel are in Marketing, Reputation, crossover design, and build quality. UE has the marketing, Westone has the Reputation, and Heayourself/Alien ears and Livewires have the masses that can't afford to pop down over 800.00 for Westy's or UE's. they all have different ideas of how the crossover should be built. Freq's was really starting to make a name for it'self but then went "Chichi Arrivas" It was rumored that the freq's and Hearyourself were both made by Fisher labs in Florida who also makes thier own line of customs.. There's a company called E.A.R Inc. with a five driver custom with the livewires swivel connector but I have never heard of anyone who has heard them. and they are practically non-existent on the web. Not to give your too many more choices or anything.

Apr 24, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #239 of 559
i wonder how the freqs would hold up the new models entering the market constantly...i wonder if my freqs would one day be considered old and obsolete or something to that extent!

Maybe i should try to cheer myself up that i'm in an exclusive group who still have freqs!

Apr 24, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #240 of 559
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nar1117 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll have the funds to comfortably purchase the UE-11s, but with so many lower-costing options out there, its hard not to re-consider. Is UE really the best? How come there is such a large price range across brands for 3-driver 'phones? How can Sleek really claim their 1-driver custom is on par with the UE-11?

Then how about you just donate to the new "Help Zach Buy a Set of Alien Ears C3's" fund?

Haha but I do some graphic design as a hobby on the side so if you want me to try and draw you up a design just shoot me a PM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back