Calling all AKG K701/2 owners: Do you like your phones with these tracks?
Jun 8, 2010 at 12:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

bhanja_trinanjan

500+ Head-Fier
Jun 8, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #2 of 45

Quote:
Hi,
                Here are a couple of tracks to test your K70x cans with!
Mozart:

http://rapidshare.com/files/396708377/11_Track_11.wma.html

Wieniawski:
http://rapidshare.com/files/396708586/05_Wieniawski_Violin_Concerto_No._2_-_II_-_Romance.wma.html

Pay special attention to the Mozart track in the interval from 00:28 – 00:45.

Doesn’t the woodwind player sound vague on the K70x?

Is this presentation in line with your other phones?

re: Mozart - vague, no, not at least to these ears.  this is with either the K702 or K271.

Jun 8, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 45
On the Mozart track around 1min 27sec. the 702 sounds kind of odd. Otherwise, right from the beginning of the piece, the clarinet(?) doesn't have quite as much solidity/weight with the 702 as with my other h/ps...but it sounds very natural otherwise. I can tell why people love them for classical. The light and airy sound sig. works very well here. No major complaints with the Mozart piece for me with a fairly brief listen.

Jun 9, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #4 of 45

Quote:
On the Mozart track around 1min 27sec. the 702 sounds kind of odd. Otherwise, right from the beginning of the piece, the clarinet(?) doesn't have quite as much solidity/weight with the 702 as with my other h/ps...but it sounds very natural otherwise. I can tell why people love them for classical. The light and airy sound sig. works very well here. No major complaints with the Mozart piece for me with a fairly brief listen.

Exactly!
That clarinet does not have enough solidity on the K702.

It just seems to have some kind of weirdness in the midrange that it sounds a bit meek… as if some harmonics in the midrange are simply not expressed at all… the clarinet has better presence on just about every other headphone/speaker I have heard. (SHURE E4C – better tone, Diamond 9.1 – amazing tone and a real sense of presence,  DALI LEKTOR 1/2, Monitor Audio Gold GS10, PSB Platinum)

The K70x has good resolution, imaging and airiness.

But it is too lightweight in the midrange.

The Wieniawski track too sounds way better on my speakers, just because of a better tone!

Jun 9, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #6 of 45

Quote:

"The K70x has good resolution, imaging and airiness.
But it is too lightweight in the midrange."

I don't mind so much with classical as I do with jazz or rock. I sometimes prefer the dt250 with jazz because it gives more weight to the midrange instruments, and that sounds to me more realistic...more like what you hear when you're at a live performance. A sax or trumpet or piano played live in a club often has real impact or punch which you don't always get with the 702.

Jun 11, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #7 of 45
Listening to a Mozart piano concerto I found the exact same issue come up. The 240DF was not as distant/diffuse with the piano as the k702. Has anyone else noticed this with piano?

Jun 11, 2010 at 11:56 AM Post #8 of 45
Downloading now...
I think the limit of the K702, IMO, is how handles a full orchestra. To me the sound looses consistency, the instruments separation is not as good as with small ensemble, and the listening fatigue increases.
But they're absolutely magical with chamber music (string quartets for example) or small chamber orchestra.

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #9 of 45

Quote:
Downloading now...
I think the limit of the K702, IMO, is how handles a full orchestra. To me the sound looses consistency, the instruments separation is not as good as with small ensemble, and the listening fatigue increases.
But they're absolutely magical with chamber music (string quartets for example) or small chamber orchestra.

Nice with string quartets... but not perfect... largely because of under-expressed harmonics in the midrange and flawed integration of mids, upper mids and treble. Just play that Wieniawski Romantic Violin Concerto on a good speaker and you will find that the clarinet has greater presence and sweetness. And the violin sounds more integrated (string and body resonance)

The under-expressed harmonics make woodwinds lose their fullness.

The K702 is excellent in a number of areas like bass control, timing, damping and imaging... but has a flawed tone, IMO.... Just not good enough to sound like real, live music... I am a bit frustrated as I write this... I just don't have the $ for a Beyer T1... time to move to budget speakers to gain tonal authority by trading in the excellent resolution and low-level details of the K702?

Or is my source (Cambridge 640C) the culprit?

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #10 of 45
I've listened to the Mozart track, a few times actually. To me there's nothing wrong with the clarinet: the sound is clear, and the instrument is perfectly positioned on the right, precise on the sound stage...maybe a bit forward to my ears, but absolutely natural.
To my ears, maybe the "fagotto" (I guess it's the bassoon) has not the weight I'd expect, it's slightly overwhelmed by the melody.

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #11 of 45

Quote:
I've listened to the Mozart track, a few times actually. To me there's nothing wrong with the clarinet: the sound is clear, and the instrument is perfectly positioned on the right, precise on the sound stage...maybe a bit forward to my ears, but absolutely natural.
To my ears, maybe the "fagotto" (I guess it's the bassoon) has not the weight I'd expect, it's slightly overwhelmed by the melody.

Thanks Realmassy... what speakers do you have for your home hifi?
regular_smile .gif

And how about that Wieniawski track?

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #12 of 45
No speakers, unfortunately :frowning2:
I'm going to listen the violin concerto (and I'm curious because I don't know the composer!).
Then I'll upload one of my reference, some string quartets by Haydn, I want to know your opinion :)

Jun 11, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #13 of 45

Quote:
No speakers, unfortunately :frowning2:
I'm going to listen the violin concerto (and I'm curious because I don't know the composer!).
Then I'll upload one of my reference, some string quartets by Haydn, I want to know your opinion :)

Oh Sure! Most welcome :) And that Wieniawski track is one of my most favourite violin pieces.... so beauuutiful!

Jun 11, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #14 of 45
OK, very nice music first of all.
The orchestra here is "incidental". The winds are are very very distant, more than the strings.
Nice recording by the way, with a very deep stage.
There's something "odd" between 2.30 and 3.00, where the instruments are a bit messy. Especially at 2.58 I realize there's a wind playing only when the other instruments stop or playing softer, and I actually don't understand if the wind is a flute or a oboe.

Jun 11, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #15 of 45

Quote:
OK, very nice music first of all.
The orchestra here is "incidental". The winds are are very very distant, more than the strings.
Nice recording by the way, with a very deep stage.
There's something "odd" between 2.30 and 3.00, where the instruments are a bit messy. Especially at 2.58 I realize there's a wind playing only when the other instruments stop or playing softer, and I actually don't understand if the wind is a flute or a oboe.

You are right ... with the K702, the winds are very very distant... but the real emotion of this piece unfolds when those winds come a bit forward... then the contrast of the strings and the winds blossom... and so does the music!
bigsmile_face.gif

It is recorded with relatively even balance between the winds and the strings and that's just how it sounds on my speakers! (But the winds should NOT DOMINATE at any point!)

Acix, time for you to step in and judge the balance of the Wieniawski track on your Phonitor-K702?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back