Caffeine addicts anonymous
Jan 30, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #1,756 of 3,173
so far the worst coffee I spent my money on is eight o'clock brand. When using the French press I can really distinguish the difference between not only the roast but the quality of the bean and so eight o'clock not only has poor flavor but the bean seems artificial and lacking any genetics. As far as bags I can get from the grocery store, Starbucks doesn't seem to be nearly as low grade. I have been enjoying the gevalia costs rican single origin. for a grocery store bag it's not bad. Quality seems to be about on par with the magnum exotics but the roast flavoring while just my opinion, isn't as good as the magnum exotics.
I've got a quick question, i got a bag of beans that has great flavor but there's an oily or waxy aftertaste. I can't help but think the oily part isn't suppose to be part of the flavor and that maybe it needs to be brewed differently.

Yes eight o'clock is terrible, I emptied the hopper in the grinder and dumped the beans after the first cup, it had no flavor, liquid cardboard.

Jan 30, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #1,757 of 3,173
so far the worst coffee I spent my money on is eight o'clock brand. When using the French press I can really distinguish the difference between not only the roast but the quality of the bean and so eight o'clock not only has poor flavor but the bean seems artificial and lacking any genetics. As far as bags I can get from the grocery store, Starbucks doesn't seem to be nearly as low grade. I have been enjoying the gevalia costs rican single origin. for a grocery store bag it's not bad. Quality seems to be about on par with the magnum exotics but the roast flavoring while just my opinion, isn't as good as the magnum exotics.
I've got a quick question, i got a bag of beans that has great flavor but there's an oily or waxy aftertaste. I can't help but think the oily part isn't suppose to be part of the flavor and that maybe it needs to be brewed differently.

I thought that eight o' clock was pretty nasty as well.

How long do you let your brew steep in the French Press? Is it a dark roast? I tend to leave mine sit for a bit longer than recommended and with darker roasts I get that oily flavoring you speak of. Also happens when I grind too fine.

Jan 30, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #1,758 of 3,173
Haven't had 8 o'clock yet, but the worst I've had was Folgers. I can't tell if it tastes like coffee flavored styrofoam, or styrofoam flavored coffee. I think the second would be worse actually, because then it would also count as flavored coffee. :p

Jan 30, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #1,759 of 3,173
I brew for 4 minutes. The roast I got that was oily or waxy tasting is magnum exotics African rainforest and is a medium roast.

Jan 30, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #1,761 of 3,173
8bbe6cea_coffeecat.png

Jan 30, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #1,762 of 3,173
Haven't had 8 o'clock yet, but the worst I've had was Folgers. I can't tell if it tastes like coffee flavored styrofoam, or styrofoam flavored coffee. I think the second would be worse actually, because then it would also count as flavored coffee.
tongue.gif

At least it didn't taste like cat litter.
blink.gif

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #1,763 of 3,173
It's been a while. I've been working 16 hour days, 6 days a week at work the past couple months, so COFFEE is my drug. I've learned to tolerate Nespresso since we have one of those in our office here. We have the same Rancilio Silvia/Rocky combo I have at home in my other building I work at but I havent seen that building much lately because I've been supporting work in our production factory lately.

Anyway, yes, Hair Bender is wonderful. Second only to Black Cat Espresso (Intelligentsia).

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #1,764 of 3,173
Just an update on my situation. I went 1 week with absolutely no caffeine. No coffee, soda, tea, or chocolate. It was basically hell going from ~9 cups a day to zero. I had 1 cup this week but other than that I am still trying to avoid coffee. Only slight grogginess and minor/mild headaches recently.

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #1,765 of 3,173
Just an update on my situation. I went 1 week with absolutely no caffeine. No coffee, soda, tea, or chocolate. It was basically hell going from ~9 cups a day to zero. I had 1 cup this week but other than that I am still trying to avoid coffee. Only slight grogginess and minor/mild headaches recently.

I'm just about to start my caffeine session for the day and am already having withdrawal symptoms.
ph34r.gif

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #1,767 of 3,173
I have no intention of cleaning up my act. I had 8 shots of espresso today and if I wasn't lazy tired, I'd have two more.

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:55 AM Post #1,768 of 3,173
  I have no intention of cleaning up my act. I had 8 shots of espresso today and if I wasn't lazy tired, I'd have two more.

HARDCORE.

I'd be topped out on 3 x doubles...my upper limit for a day.

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #1,769 of 3,173

HARDCORE.

I'd be topped out on 3 x doubles...my upper limit for a day.

I've done 12 in a day, doesn't faze me or keep me up past my bedtime. Thought I probably have lively dreams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back