Caffeine addicts anonymous
Jan 27, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #1,741 of 3,173
  If you're interested in a tea with comparable caffeine to coffee, might I suggest yerba mate? Has the same health benefits as green tea, and the same or more caffeine as coffee. The flavor takes getting used to though.

As far as standard teas go, green white and black have much less caffeine than coffee; so you'd have to be drinking insane quantities to have equivalent caffeine intake.

Yerba mate. Don't think I've ever had it. I will definitely check it out. Thanks for the tip! Seems more sensible than drinking eight gillion cups of green or black a day. --)

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #1,742 of 3,173
Technically its not "tea" per-say since it isn't from the tea plant, but is instead from a root. It's originally from Argentina, but has recently gained traction in the US. I see at least 10 people a day on my college campus drinking mate (pronounced ma-te btw).

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #1,743 of 3,173
Lol on the t-shirt.

Yerba mate -as yet not tried it. Maca is great and add mucuna plus a double latte.....oh boy.

Jan 28, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #1,744 of 3,173
If you have a beef with Starbucks, try drip coffee at a diner and try not to gag. Not all of Starbucks offerings are as horrible as some people make it out to be. By the way my Stumptown beans arrived on Thursday so I'm good. I just have to remember to order in advance with a larger margin for shipping delays or just walk the extra distance and carry it home on the commute. They have a better variety online so I'll probably be going that route.

Jan 28, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #1,745 of 3,173
  If you have a beef with Starbucks, try drip coffee at a diner and try not to gag. Not all of Starbucks offerings are as horrible as some people make it out to be. By the way my Stumptown beans arrived on Thursday so I'm good. I just have to remember to order in advance with a larger margin for shipping delays or just walk the extra distance and carry it home on the commute. They have a better variety online so I'll probably be going that route.

I do have a bit of a beef w/ Starbucks because while they aren't the worst, they still aren't good and they market themselves as a premium coffee source, which most laymen fall for. This irks me in the same way that Beats do because its deceptive for the most part. 

Diner drip coffees are less offensive to me because there isn't a pre-existing expectation of it being good, and often they're just watery and not burnt or rancid. McDonald's drip coffee is without a doubt the worst though, the one time I had it it literally tasted the way garbage smells.

Jan 28, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #1,747 of 3,173

+ 2 Belmonts were breakfast for many years :D

McD's Iced coffee was decent 90% of the times. Had a few bad ones but the $1 summer deal was bomb ba bomba bomb bomb. And with Belmont, many times my lunch.

Jan 29, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #1,748 of 3,173
  I do have a bit of a beef w/ Starbucks because while they aren't the worst, they still aren't good and they market themselves as a premium coffee source, which most laymen fall for. This irks me in the same way that Beats do because its deceptive for the most part. 

Diner drip coffees are less offensive to me because there isn't a pre-existing expectation of it being good, and often they're just watery and not burnt or rancid. McDonald's drip coffee is without a doubt the worst though, the one time I had it it literally tasted the way garbage smells.

Starbucks is passable but way overpriced. I see, you've been spared experiencing funky diner coffee, you've been blessed.
To all, "May the grinds be with you."
beerchug.gif

Jan 29, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #1,749 of 3,173
Jan 29, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #1,750 of 3,173

Makes sense. Starbucks does seem to come across as the epitome of TOTL coffee based on their hype. While it is absolutely a step above diner and gas station hot water trash, it's definitely not the best of the best level coffee.

With that being said, I got a bag of veranda yesterday while I wait for some of my green coffee to arrive. Got a sampler pack from Burman Coffee which includes a sampling of 3 of their more popular beans as well as 1lb of "espresso blend". 

Jan 29, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #1,751 of 3,173

which stumptown do you get? Hairbender is my personal favorite. 

anyway, it's been a while. hello again to you caffeine heads.

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #1,754 of 3,173
so far the worst coffee I spent my money on is eight o'clock brand. When using the French press I can really distinguish the difference between not only the roast but the quality of the bean and so eight o'clock not only has poor flavor but the bean seems artificial and lacking any genetics. As far as bags I can get from the grocery store, Starbucks doesn't seem to be nearly as low grade. I have been enjoying the gevalia costs rican single origin. for a grocery store bag it's not bad. Quality seems to be about on par with the magnum exotics but the roast flavoring while just my opinion, isn't as good as the magnum exotics.
I've got a quick question, i got a bag of beans that has great flavor but there's an oily or waxy aftertaste. I can't help but think the oily part isn't suppose to be part of the flavor and that maybe it needs to be brewed differently.

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #1,755 of 3,173
  which stumptown do you get? Hairbender is my personal favorite. 

anyway, it's been a while. hello again to you caffeine heads.

Yes I got Hairbender which is what they use for making espresso and lattes at the café. Great stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back