Cafe Sceptico: The Objectivist Cafe
Aug 26, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #106 of 497
The cello is the equivalent of the male voice. Makes sense that it's great.

Aug 26, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #107 of 497
So I'm a male chauvinist listener? Oh, great. :D

I wonder what the equivalent of the female contralto is? All my favorite singers in all genres are contraltos.

Aug 26, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #109 of 497
Quote:
If it's classical music you're looking for, I'd recommend going to the Amazon mp3 downloads section and search for "rise of the masters". Those are massive collections organized by composers for pennies a track. Great performances and audiophile recordings from the BIS label. I particularly recommend the Grieg set.

Quote:

I'd go with a macchiato.  I hear they make good ones here.

Thanks, I think I will enjoy them 
beyersmile.png

Anyone here listens to symphonic rock? Or rock musicians with an orchestra? I really like the pairing of violins with a electric guitar. Something like what royal philharmonic orchestra does or when Steve Vai performs with a orchestra. 

Aug 26, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #111 of 497
Only symphonic rock I can live with is Nightwish and even they have moments which look horribly close to Eurovision Song Contest highlights.
eek.gif

Bands like Epica make me glad I have the complete works of Iron Maiden to fall back on.  

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #112 of 497
Quote:
Thank you!

Hm, well the issue with mapping instruments to voices is that the frequency range of the instruments is generally larger—unless maybe you're looking at male voice and including falsetto range.

Many oboe parts in most ensembles including orchestras are often in the second or even third octave of the instrument (above A4, the tuning note), not really the right range.  Actually, contralto parts go down to about F3 (F below middle C), while the lowest note the oboe can play is B-flat3, the fourth above that.  The viola's range covers it better.  That said, I think the timbre of the oboe is maybe a little better match, but I've never checked the harmonics though.

I would suggest the English horn (aka:  oboe in F, a fifth lower) instead.  That has many of the same properties, maybe something a little more throaty, and it actually covers the correct range.

Aug 29, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #113 of 497
Is it safe to crack jokes and be sarcastic in this thread? The reason I ask is because I've just snorted 3 crystal piccolino cables and I'm really paranoid about getting busted by the heat, ya know? I can hear your thoughts through the internet and I'm noticing an improved soundstage, tightened bass response, and your dynamic range sounds fantastic as you yammer on with your inner dialogue...

Aug 29, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #114 of 497
Ha! I've got a wide open soundstage between my ears!

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #116 of 497
Quote:
Is it safe to crack jokes and be sarcastic in this thread? The reason I ask is because I've just snorted 3 crystal piccolino cables and I'm really paranoid about getting busted by the heat, ya know? I can hear your thoughts through the internet and I'm noticing an improved soundstage, tightened bass response, and your dynamic range sounds fantastic as you yammer on with your inner dialogue...

I have completely lost track of what the hell this thread was initially about - the last 3 pages dont seem to bear much relationship to the thread title, but the OP doesn't seem to mind. Beats me - I just go with the flow. I guess it is Sound Science, after all. 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #117 of 497
This thread is a place for objectivists to shoot the bull.

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #118 of 497
Okay, have a laugh, guys. I just bought a set of custom iem cables for about 100 USD. A lot of people claim there will be more detail in the highs and an improved soundstage, and I took the bait. Laugh it up. 

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #119 of 497
Can you return them if they don't?

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #120 of 497
Quote:
This thread is a place for objectivists to shoot the bull.

I thought buffalo hunters took out the lead cow 1st to start a "stand" - shooting a entire herd from one spot without them running

Users who are viewing this thread

Back