Cafe Sceptico: The Objectivist Cafe
Aug 25, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #77 of 497
I'm going to say something that might be controversial.

Bass is such an integral part of classical music, I can't imagine listening to it seriously on headphones. And bookshelf speakers just don't cut it. I've been going through a classical jag latey, and I only want to hear it on my big speakers.

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #78 of 497
I suspect that you are talking large-scale orchestral works - I cant speak for anyone else here, but the only classical in my playlists is softer piano and string concertos. Absolutely nothing that begins with fusiliers firing an antique cannon.   
biggrin.gif

Horses for courses, as always. 

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #79 of 497
"Classical music" is such a broad classification, more about intent than anything to do with style, form, instrumentation, whatever.  It's hard to be more vague, except that usually you're dealing with acoustic instruments mostly.

Though to be honest, I'd expect most string concertos to contain a decent amount of bass.  There's plenty with very little bass, less than that.

Also, plenty of headphones can do bass fine, in terms of what goes to the ears.  It just feels lacking, for obvious reasons.  But it's not like the interpretation of the music is confounded by the bass not being felt, so I'd say that serious listening is definitely plausible using headphones even when bass is prevalent.

I was going to write more, but I'm beginning to think that I just have a different conception of "serious listening."  I'm thinking more along the lines of listening to interpret and analyze the musical ideas.

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #80 of 497
Quote:
Whoa, Nelly - as much as I admire the Mini-Maggies, there are limits to a speaker system like that - I am currently leaning toward the KEF Q300 or similar for the desktop and a more exotic set of Thai speakers for the living room. I merely raised that photo because I cant see how anyone is supposed to actually sit at that desk, yet that is exactly the configuration the designer intended the system for. Those hellbent on filling a room with sound really need to read this - several times .... 

http://www.avguide.com/review/magnepan-s-mini-maggie-speaker-system-revisited-playback-53

Effectively, it comes down to this - are you happy to listen to 90% of your music seated at a desk or do you have a larger room and need serious bass thump ? If the answer is 'Door A' and you have 1500 USD, be my guest.  
biggrin.gif

I also need to point out that these may not be the best speakers for those who are after eye candy on their desk. To the Magnepan faithful, I expect that is the equivalent of a hanging offence, so I'll leave the beauty question to my fellow beholders.  

I would add that I like the fact that these were designed to be genuine 'desktop' speakers, not standmounts masquerading as such. (<cough>KEF Q300</cough>)

That's what has me so intrigued about the MiniMaggies. I've found that the options for near-field monitors are pretty limited, and every other high-end two-way is designed for stand mounted listening in a normal listening space. The idea that Magnepan could have designed a planar magnetic speaker specifically for desktop listening is pretty damn sweet. I'd probably skip the subwoofer; like you said there's no good way to place one when you're sitting at a desk.

Aug 25, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #81 of 497
I'd just mount a pair of nice Klipsch bookshelves on the wall.

Aug 25, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #83 of 497
I have some as my rear channel mounted on the wall and they sound great. Older model. Similar to these...

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-Reference-Series-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B0040LG96O/

Aug 25, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #84 of 497
Quote:

That's what has me so intrigued about the MiniMaggies. I've found that the options for near-field monitors are pretty limited, and every other high-end two-way is designed for stand mounted listening in a normal listening space. The idea that Magnepan could have designed a planar magnetic speaker specifically for desktop listening is pretty damn sweet. I'd probably skip the subwoofer; like you said there's no good way to place one when you're sitting at a desk.

The sub is part of the Mini-Maggie 'system' - I doubt that you can buy the Mini Maggies without it. I'm sure there are mounting options other than that shown in the photo. 

Aug 25, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #85 of 497
What am I not getting? When you are alone at a computer, why not headphones? I don't drag my big Stax over there, but my Beyers wax any nearfields in the SQ department.

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #86 of 497
My man speaker system is driven by a computer. They say computers are moving into the living room and entertainment center more and more recently.

Aug 25, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #88 of 497
Bass is such an integral part of classical music, I can't imagine listening to it seriously on headphones. And bookshelf speakers just don't cut it. I've been going through a classical jag latey, and I only want to hear it on my big speakers.

I agree that classical has a much larger bass component than people (who don't listen to classical) think. At the same time, I've had some good experiences with headphones capturing those lower notes. Maybe I'm just fooling myself, there's no way I can have a speaker set upon the foreseeable future.

Sorry I'm late to the cafe, give me an espresso, with a lemon twist, thanks.

Aug 25, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #89 of 497

You don't have the right headphones. Stax 007 series present whatever bass is on the recording. No more, no less. I have two sets of large, very good floorstanders and going to the Stax loses nothing for me.

Aug 25, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #90 of 497
"Classical music" is such a broad classification, more about intent than anything to do with style, form, instrumentation, whatever.  It's hard to be more vague, except that usually you're dealing with acoustic instruments mostly.

Though to be honest, I'd expect most string concertos to contain a decent amount of bass.  There's plenty with very little bass, less than that.

Also, plenty of headphones can do bass fine, in terms of what goes to the ears.  It just feels lacking, for obvious reasons.  But it's not like the interpretation of the music is confounded by the bass not being felt, so I'd say that serious listening is definitely plausible using headphones even when bass is prevalent.

I was going to write more, but I'm beginning to think that I just have a different conception of "serious listening."  I'm thinking more along the lines of listening to interpret and analyze the musical ideas.

Total agreement. My listening favors Twentith Century and Baroque. I tired of the Romantic era and its huge ensembles several decades ago. I still enjoy Classical. Here is to sixteen piece orchestras, quartets, duos and solo works.

I admit that I have found serious Jazz to be the equal of "Classical" in every respect. Plus, it never banished improvisation. "Classical" has been impoverished in that department ever since cadenzas were written out. They used to be solo, improvised and in free time. All elements missing for more than a century.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back