Cafe Sceptico: The Objectivist Cafe
Aug 21, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #46 of 497
Quote:
I dunno. Without all those misconceptions it'd be like sipping a hot water and carbon solution in an all-middle-aged-male cafe.

If that's what reality is then so be it. Some people take the red pill, and some people take the blue pill.

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #48 of 497
Quote:

What speakers do you have?

A pair of RS621's that are being driven by an Emotiva A-100 amp.
redface.gif

Aug 21, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #49 of 497
@Rebel975

You hear a lot of people with differing opinions on boutique parts. If the component does indeed measure better, then yes, there is an objective difference. Conceivably, the circuit will perform more closely to spec and you'll have a better speaker. High quality components are nice to have, but sometimes the price tag is a bit too high IMO. Will you hear an audible difference? Will you be able to differentiate between the two in a DBT? I'm skeptical, personally. You could probably do without it. But I wouldn't go so far as to call it snake-oil. Snake-oil is some guy selling magic cables out of his basement at a 1000% markup.

Good luck on that speaker build!

Aug 21, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #51 of 497
Quote:
@Rebel975

You hear a lot of people with differing opinions on boutique parts. If the component does indeed measure better, then yes, there is an objective difference. Conceivably, the circuit will perform more closely to spec and you'll have a better speaker. High quality components are nice to have, but sometimes the price tag is a bit too high IMO. Will you hear an audible difference? Will you be able to differentiate between the two in a DBT? I'm skeptical, personally. You could probably do without it. But I wouldn't go so far as to call it snake-oil. Snake-oil is some guy selling magic cables out of his basement at a 1000% markup.

Good luck on that speaker build!

Yeah, I'd have a hard time justifying the extra cost. As for the speakers, they will likely be a project I take on 2-3 months from now. As of right now I'm building a subwoofer. In fact, the tracking info shows that the sub and parts were just delivered to my house.
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #52 of 497
I think the natural distortion and response deviations of the speakers themselves will make insignificant things like that completely impossible to hear.

Personally, if I was spending that much on speakers, I'd rather get something larger. You get more bang for the buck with cabinet speakers or towers than with bookshelves.

Aug 21, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #53 of 497
I don't have room for tower speakers. Maybe I should just stick with the RS621's until I have more room?

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #55 of 497
I will in a few days. I'm building one using a TC Sounds Epic 12". :)

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #56 of 497
A nice 12 inch sub will teach the neighbors how a bass line sounds. Good job!

Aug 22, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #58 of 497
And that's the sub FOR YOUR CAR STEREO!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back