Cafe Sceptico: The Objectivist Cafe
Aug 17, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #16 of 497
I'll have a Pellegrino!

Aug 17, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #18 of 497
I missed that. When did he first get published in comic book form? BTW, did you ever see his "How To Strip Your Baby"?

Here is a clip I'm using as a teaser for the screening where he talks about it...

[VIDEO]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gL9zI-WI0Go[/VIDEO]

Never seen how to strip. What's that?

Aug 17, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #19 of 497
Oooo! A couple of fancy calls! Gonna have to send out to Trader Joes for some of that!

Aug 18, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #21 of 497
Quote:
Never seen how to strip. What's that?

Viet Nam era Army manual, "The M16A1 Rifle, Operation and Preventive Maintenance" Here's a link to page two, they are all here. Has to be one of the more fun Army manuals.

http://www.ep.tc/problems/25/02.html

Nice film, thanks!

Aug 18, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #22 of 497
Ha! Robert Osborne did a raft of great cartoons for training manuals too.

Aug 18, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #24 of 497
Some iced tea for me.

I'm adding a subwoofer to my game room in less than a week. It's my first subwoofer build. Going to be using a TC Sounds Epic 12" driver, NU3000DSP amp, and a 2.25 cu foot box. It's sealed, so the low end response is kind of lacking, but for my first build it should be pretty good. As far as I'm concerned it's going to be the first subwoofer that I've owned. I had a Z-5500 at one point, but... yeah. I should be able to use room gain and a little EQ to overcome the weaknesses.

Aug 18, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #25 of 497
I just integrated a sub into my system this year. It takes a little doing to balance it properly. If it's just for games, a separated boom boom is probably fine. But if you plan to play music, it needs to couple with your mains seamlessly.

I've been using the Reiner recording of Marche Slav by Tchaikovsky to set my levels. It has a whole lot of bass on several levels at once, so you can hear the crossover from sub to mains clearly. I started by just adjusting the volume level, setting it so the sub bass wouldn't jump out over the mains bass. Then I started EQing, looking to smooth out the handoff between the sub and mains. When I finished that, the sub was a little loud, so I balanced the volume levels again... Which threw off the EQ a litle... And so on. Eventually, through parallel parking with smaller and smaller corrections each time, I got the transition as smooth as butter.

When you first add a sub, the temptation is to goose the sub bass. But as you listen, that becomes annoying and tiresome. Balanced is better.

Edit: oh! One more tip... When you're doing the corrections, start out at a fairly low volume level and gradually creep the overall volume up as you get closer to balanced. It's easier to hear big differences softer and small differences bigger.

Aug 18, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #26 of 497
Quote:
If it's just for games, a separated boom boom is probably fine. But if you plan to play music, it needs to couple with your mains seamlessly.

It's primarily for games, but I'll be trying to keep it balanced. If I need some extra rumble I can just crank my tactile transducer up.
tongue.gif

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #28 of 497
I'm jazzed tonight. My brother just offered to give me his custom made 12 inch three ways from the 70s. He's used them in his Macintosh system all these years. Now he's downsizing and doesn't want them any more. This gives me four matching monitors. The woofers in these are to die for. The guy who built them worked for JBL and Rogers Sound Lab. He made these "ultimate" speakers just for his friends.

Aug 19, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #29 of 497
Quote:
I'm jazzed tonight. My brother just offered to give me his custom made 12 inch three ways from the 70s. He's used them in his Macintosh system all these years. Now he's downsizing and doesn't want them any more. This gives me four matching monitors. The woofers in these are to die for. The guy who built them worked for JBL and Rogers Sound Lab. He made these "ultimate" speakers just for his friends.

Nice.

There are some giant RSL towers downstairs in my house. I think they used to be my grandpa's. Don't really know anything about them though.

Aug 19, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #30 of 497
Fire em up!

I noticed something interesting about my 5:1 system yesterday. When I am playing straight stereo and the sound is coming from in front of me, it sounds much better if I cup my hands behind my ears. It fills in the sound that is blank behind me. My walls are panelled with knotty pine that is almost as soft as balsa wood. There's very little reflection off the walls, so with no sound behind me, it's empty. Cupping my hands fills in.

When I turn on the 7:1 Stereo DSP setting on my Yamaha amp, it sounds *exactly* like cupping my hands with stereo. The DSP isn't rechanneling the sound at all. It's just filling it in behind the way a room really should.

No wonder I liked that 7:1 DSP. I didn't expect to like any of the synthetic ambiences, but that one works perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back