Cable Upgrade for Sennheiser HD600
Mar 6, 2008 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

LordofDoom

100+ Head-Fier
Well now that I bought my LD MK III, I figure I may as well go all the way... so as it seems, a cable upgrade is the next thing to do. I don't really have any money at the moment, so now is a good time for me to plan and figure out which cable I would want and why. I'll give a better price range this time since last time I said 200 for the amp and ended up spending 250
biggrin.gif

So, the thing is, I'm looking to spend $100 or less, preferably $50 or less on a cable upgrade for my Sennheiser HD600s next month or thereabout.

Is this doable in my budget? If so, what should I get? If not, why not and what should I look up towards?

I'd much appreciate some help in this matter.

PS: Before the cable haters step in, these upgrades and other things have to matter, they have to do something. I know, because my own mother recognized a substantial improvement when I upgraded other components, why would the cable be different
biggrin.gif
? All naysayers in this thread will be regarded as sarcastic so as to not stray from the topic at hand.

Thanks!

Mar 6, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #2 of 37
Dude if you are DIY capable order Senn Pins (32 bux) and get a cable from Blue Jeans Cable that is bare but stripped about 15 inches on one side and 1/4 or 1/8 tip on the other. 6 feet (20 bux or so). I recabled my MS-1's and never looked back. I am about to make a few cables for my HD 580's, 1/4, 1/8, Balanced. With your budget, This may not be a bad way to go?

Mar 6, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by manofmathematics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you need balanced? Also, you can get the HD650 cable cheaper directly from Sennheiser. Just go to their website.

Ah yeah, just noticed that. Sorry, when I bookmarked the link yesterday I didn't realize that the only upgrade was that it was balanced.

Well anyways, one of the main reasons I want new cabling (if not for sound quality) is because I think the current cable is REALLY tiny and I'm always afraid of it tearing out for some reason
redface.gif

Mar 6, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 37
Well, you'll probably have the same complaint about the HD650 cable. If you want a larger cable, you'll have to spend around $120.00 used, $150.00 new at a minimum.

If you can extend your budget by $50.00 bucks I would suggest cruising on over to Moon Audio's website and taking a look at their Blue Dragon cable.

Mar 6, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordofDoom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well anyways, one of the main reasons I want new cabling (if not for sound quality) is because I think the current cable is REALLY tiny and I'm always afraid of it tearing out for some reason
redface.gif

I felt the same way about the HD580 cable (same as the cable on the 600). The HD650 cable is significantly more robust and solid feeling.

Mar 7, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #11 of 37
What you can do is get some Senn plugs. Then get like 10ft of Cardas cable, some heatshrink, some Techflex, and a Cardas 1/4" Plug. Heck you might even be able to polish it off with some Cardas solder. All that and you will still come in close to your budget, depending how long you want to go, without paying someone else $300 for it.

Mar 7, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by crewchief /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What you can do is get some Senn plugs. Then get like 10ft of Cardas cable, some heatshrink, some Techflex, and a Cardas 1/4" Plug. Heck you might even be able to polish it off with some Cardas solder. All that and you will still come in close to your budget, depending how long you want to go, without paying someone else $300 for it.

But where can you get the senn plugs from? I didn't think they were sold seperately?

Mar 7, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #13 of 37
I know they have been sold sperately somewhere but I can't remember where. You can also just take the hit and order a 580 cable from Senn and cut the plugs off and chuck the cable

Mar 7, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by crewchief /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A few of the links redirect me to the same place...

But what exactly should I get, what do I need to assemble it, and what do I need to know about soldering (if needed) because I don't know much about it :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back