Cable Upgrade for Sennheiser HD600
Mar 7, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordofDoom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few of the links redirect me to the same place...

But what exactly should I get, what do I need to assemble it, and what do I need to know about soldering (if needed) because I don't know much about it :p

well i think that may be the way to go. Building your own cable. If i did a good jb of the soldering would there be much difference in the original cardas and my own cable creation?

Mar 8, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #17 of 37
Take the little tabs at the bottom of the screen and click on interconnects. That will pull up the 4 wire Cardas which is perfect. Then click on the other tabs like heatshrink and then Tekflex. When you link to the plugs page again look at the bottom for the cardas tab. There you will find the 1/4" plugs or you can find some others in mini. I plan on ordering all of this stuff with 5' of cardas and mini plug to recable my SR225's. So there is no need for the Senn plugs to do this, but I will make a cable for the Senn some day. At this point though I see myself deffinately holding on to the 225's. I might want to trade my 580 down the road for a 650, then I would keep my custom cable for the 650's.

Mar 8, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by aamefford /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/sen...g-found-53010/

About $32 - $35 from DIY Cable and Headroom, probably any Cardas dealer can get 'em, special order.

Man that sound really pricey there. Wouldn't it be cheaper to by replacement cables straight from Senn and cut them off and solder them onto your cable. Then you also cut off the plug and save that for later as well.

Mar 8, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by crewchief /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man that sound really pricey there. Wouldn't it be cheaper to by replacement cables straight from Senn and cut them off and solder them onto your cable. Then you also cut off the plug and save that for later as well.

It would be cheaper but you will have to cut into the plastic to get to the plug leads and then find some way to seal it with epoxy or hot glue (looks really crappy), otherwise you're looking at soldering onto the senn cable which defeats the purpose altogether. At least with the Cardas it's a fresh start.

Mar 8, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #21 of 37
LoD,

Take the money you had planned to spend on cable upgrades and put it into better NOS tubes for your MkIII.

You can revisit a cable upgrade later. DIY can be very cost effective if you have modest confidence in your soldering skills. If you don't, find a friend? or save to buy them pre-made.

Just my 2 cents,

E

Mar 8, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #22 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethebull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LoD,

Take the money you had planned to spend on cable upgrades and put it into better NOS tubes for your MkIII.

You can revisit a cable upgrade later. DIY can be very cost effective if you have modest confidence in your soldering skills. If you don't, find a friend? or save to buy them pre-made.

Just my 2 cents,

E

Will do.

Soz, I'm a bit new to this whole thing. TBFH, I didn't even know you could get a Tube Amplifier for headphones or get Cabling Upgrades until just last week when I joined Head-Fi forums
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, any recommendations on tubes & what pricing? I've been reading a bit of the MK III Tube Rolling thread and it sounds like a lot of cool stuff.

Mar 8, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Sneis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be cheaper but you will have to cut into the plastic to get to the plug leads and then find some way to seal it with epoxy or hot glue (looks really crappy), otherwise you're looking at soldering onto the senn cable which defeats the purpose altogether. At least with the Cardas it's a fresh start.

just stick a bit of shrink wrap tubing around it. That wouldn't look too bad.

Mar 9, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Will do.

Soz, I'm a bit new to this whole thing. TBFH, I didn't even know you could get a Tube Amplifier for headphones or get Cabling Upgrades until just last week when I joined Head-Fi forums
smily_headphones1.gif

By the way, any recommendations on tubes & what pricing? I've been reading a bit of the MK III Tube Rolling thread and it sounds like a lot of cool stuff.

My last post here is a big summary of many tubes you could consider:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/lit...ml#post3921393

Mar 12, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Bump.

What are the cheapest alternatives to doing it yourself? I feel as if I'm bound to mess up... I just want to know the alternatives.

Ah, it is called learning.... :)

Dangit - How to DIY cable - everything you ever wanted to know about how, including parts procurement. Basically Mogami Starquad, and Neutrik or Switchcraft plug, and a stock 650 cable for the Senn plugs.

Mar 12, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, it is called learning.... :)

The Millett Max is the surest cheap bet, and there are even kits (Glass Jar Audio) but you have to email about them - very reasonable. And, there is a monster thread where you are all but guaranteed success, no matter how much you stray. Low voltage / low risk as well.

Wander over to DIY - many threads about the alternatives available to be built.

XD we were talking about cables
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #28 of 37
Lod,

I finally get to hear my Hd600 with a Cardas 10ft cable. Color me impressed, this cable sounds much smoother than the hd650 stock cable ($15-20) and Dowin dw12 ($70).

Listening to some Lacuna Coil right now and the female vocals are PERFECT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back