Cable options for Shure 535's?
Jun 27, 2011 at 12:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kevroc

New Head-Fier
Hello all, first time poster, great forum...thanks for all the great info!

I just purchased some 535's (saw a good deal and couldn't pass them up) and have been using Westone 4's for the past couple of months.  Only using them about 30 minutes a day, nothing too much, just wanted some quality audio with good isolation.

I really like the W4's, love the comfort and fit, they have a very low profile, are really lightweight and easy to manage.  Most of all though is I love the cable (I know, I know, these are all things that makes for a good earphones right? :) 

I have the 535 Clears, and man that cable is just kind of unwieldy.  It's really stiff, it's a little too long for my taste, the plastic around the connect is a little big to make a snug fit into my iphone (with case).

So my question is, does someone make a relatively affordable twisted/braided cable like the one found on the W4's for the 535's?  

I have the music cable for the 535's and I do like it as well, it's a little software and easier to manage but I don't really need the music controls inline.

Any suggestions??

Thanks for your help!!

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 10

Quote:
Hello all, first time poster, great forum...thanks for all the great info!

I just purchased some 535's (saw a good deal and couldn't pass them up) and have been using Westone 4's for the past couple of months.  Only using them about 30 minutes a day, nothing too much, just wanted some quality audio with good isolation.

I really like the W4's, love the comfort and fit, they have a very low profile, are really lightweight and easy to manage.  Most of all though is I love the cable (I know, I know, these are all things that makes for a good earphones right? :) 

I have the 535 Clears, and man that cable is just kind of unwieldy.  It's really stiff, it's a little too long for my taste, the plastic around the connect is a little big to make a snug fit into my iphone (with case).

So my question is, does someone make a relatively affordable twisted/braided cable like the one found on the W4's for the 535's?  

I have the music cable for the 535's and I do like it as well, it's a little software and easier to manage but I don't really need the music controls inline.

Any suggestions??

Thanks for your help!!

Been looking at new cables myself mainly for a back up. There is another thread here, and a few folks have just ordered some from manufactures via Ebay (not like the Westone Cables however). I Had the 535's first then got the W3's. So going back the the 535's I know what you are saying. The cable and the memory wire does break in a little, and I have gotten use to the spin and very much like it, but nothing seems to beat that Westone cable and Comfort. If I may ask, How do you like the W4's, they are the ones talking to me know.

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 10
I'm in no way qualified to offer any type of review, but I really like the W4's.  The fit, the comfort the overall sound seems to be just well balanced and smooth.  I've been comparing the two endlessly the last couple of days and I can say this, the 535's seem more raw to me.  More stuff comes through.  I have to have the W4's almost twice the volume as the 535's to equalize them.  The 535's can also seem a little loud at times.  It's almost as if there's a filter on the W4's that just tones things down a bit and smooths it out.  Again, as you can see I'm not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination, so take this with a grain of salt.  

I'd just love to find a W4 like cable for the 535's...

Jun 27, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
I'm in no way qualified to offer any type of review, but I really like the W4's.  The fit, the comfort the overall sound seems to be just well balanced and smooth.  I've been comparing the two endlessly the last couple of days and I can say this, the 535's seem more raw to me.  More stuff comes through.  I have to have the W4's almost twice the volume as the 535's to equalize them.  The 535's can also seem a little loud at times.  It's almost as if there's a filter on the W4's that just tones things down a bit and smooths it out.  Again, as you can see I'm not an audiophile by any stretch of he imagination, so take this with a grain of salt.  

I'd just love to find a W4 like cable for the 535's...

Ahh Everyones Qualified to give impressions and reviews. See I understand exactly what you are saying comparison wise. Aside from the difference of a slight Volume increase the W3's are a little smoother than the 535's but its such a different beast all together. I think that the Shure Mids make them sound loud and bright at times, but man are they beautiful. I love the way guitars and pianos sound on them. Good Luck in your search. We may be stuck with this cable for a while howerver

Jun 27, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #5 of 10
You could try the media cable for using with your iPhone. I have one on order but will be a few days till it arrives still. It looks to have a smaller connector and no memory wire over the ears.

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-CBL-M--K-Accessory-Headphones/dp/B0046HJLJO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1309219225&sr=8-2

Jun 27, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #6 of 10
Yes, that was the first thing I did was to order that cable.  I do prefer it to the regular cable as it is much softer and more pliable and it has a thinner 45 degree angled connector that plugs in better to my iphone.  The only odd thing about it is that the right ear is cable is about 1/2 inch longer, probably to accommodate the music controls I guess, but it's still a little odd.  

Jun 28, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #7 of 10
I am waiting for the cable to arrive to me still. Like the 535s. Also looking to see if I can find a similar cable for the 1964 quads. I like the volume and skip function on the cable. So far only option I have found it $200 which I think it high for a cable.

Jun 28, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 10
The black stock cable - when you purchase the bronze model of the 535 is a bit thicker and not as stiff - just a FYI (still not as you described tho =( )
I think I saw a few aftermarket shure cables on ebay but I am highly skeptical of the makers...
Maybe you could try a little DIY make your own cable --> I believe it is just two mmcx connectors, cable, heatshrink, 3.5mm plug, and Y-split

Jul 2, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #9 of 10
Double Helix Cables also makes an aftermarket cable for the 535, but you're at $200, so maybe more than you want to pay.

http://doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=39&zenid=bto708d0sjmuukj000jms15rc6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back