Cable direction makes a difference. Why?
Aug 1, 2007 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

pageman99

500+ Head-Fier
Just hooked up some new (to me) Kimber Heroes in my system the other day. I was disappointed in the sound. A bit fuzzy and no soundstage to speak of.

I checked the cables and there was no directional arrows, but I figured I had nothing to lose and I flipped them around.

Voila! Instant clarity, excellent instrument placement, yadda, yadda.

Now my background is in Physics and I see no reason at all for this. The RCA jacks appeared to be the same on either end, cable is cable from either direction.

I flipped them around a couple times just to be sure. The difference in sound quality was obvious.

Why?????

Aug 1, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 61
that is interesting. i have read a few times that the direction of the cables, even if arrows are present, mean nothing and that the cable will sort itself out in time if used the same way. of course, i generally follow the direction of the arrows/wording anyway.

Aug 1, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #3 of 61
Yeah, if you posted, I wouldn't reply and simply think you're nuts!

Makes no sense to me. I'll probably do a dbt when my buddy comes over next week for a listen to the new amp and source. But I trust myself, been doing this too long.

Hope somebody can help.

Aug 1, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #5 of 61
I profess no knowledge nor expertise, but I believe (keyword here), that it may be primarily due to the dielectric properties. Though some cables are directionless, my guess is that some cables have a geometry that takes advantage of the dielectric properties itself (don't ask me why! I'm speculating
confused.gif
). As such, since I'm fairly sure it's just a collection of dipoles rearranging themselves, the dielectric would have a tendancy to "bias" itself in a direction after some use, and maybe, depending on the geometry, wave propagation, and field interactions etc, only work properly in one direction anyways.

EDIT: Sorta like how some electrolytic capacitors are polar? Maybe?

Aug 1, 2007 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by pageman99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I checked the cables and there was no directional arrows

the wording on the cable serves the same purpose as the arrows, so

Hero KimberKable = ----->

OR

CD Player >> Hero KimberKable >> Amp

Aug 1, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #7 of 61
If they're new to you, am I to assume that they were used by another individual prior to your purchase?

It has always been my understanding that the arrows on a cable were just a suggestion. Basically, since a cable theoretically constructs a kind of pathway for easiest flow of electrons, it helped to always have them flowing in the same direction. A brand new cable sounds the same both ways, but one with hundreds of hours of use sounds different depending on the direction it's plugged in. The arrows are just reminders of which way you used it the last time.

If that is the case, it seems like you figured out which direction the previous owner used it. I always figured it was snake oil, but there's no arguiing with audible differences. No harm in some dbt, either, so long as we don't discuss it on these forums.

Aug 1, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 61
Hmm... yes, they were used.

And the comments on alignment after usage makes perfect sense. Whether this is correct, I'm not sure, but I suspect you may be right.

vcoheda, I didn't know that about the labels. I'll check when I get a chance.

Anyone else?

Aug 1, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #9 of 61
It could be that gravity makes the signal go downhill. Or perhaps electricity is attracted to the sun. (This means your cables should go one direction during the day, and the other way at night.)

These are all great theories and they have some sort of magical logic, but rather than thinking of an explanation, you should be trying to figure out whether a signal can really be transmitted more accurately through braided metal one direction as opposed to another. I don't think you are going to find any evidence that it does.

See ya
Steve

Aug 1, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #10 of 61
Bigshot, we all know that you only listen to music at night because the weight of light affects the transmission of sound waves between the transducer and your ear. That's dedication.

Aug 1, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #11 of 61
BigShot, I'm just as skeptical as you, nonetheless, I hear what I hear.

I can shoot down any theory quite easily, but that doesn't mean we'll learn anything that way.

And I want to learn why I'm hearing what I'm hearing. I simply don't know, and I'm rarely at a loss.

More contributions?

Aug 1, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #12 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by pageman99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now my background is in Physics and I see no reason at all for this. The RCA jacks appeared to be the same on either end, cable is cable from either direction.

Geez, a seemingly intelligent person with a scientific background makes an observation and asks for some thoughts. That really merits a sarcastic response, to wit:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It could be that gravity makes the signal go downhill. Or perhaps electricity is attracted to the sun. (This means your cables should go one direction during the day, and the other way at night.)

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Aug 1, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #14 of 61
Hey, if ya wanna take one for the team, you oughta reverse em and run them in for awhile to see if your perception of them changes. Then reverse them again to see if the artifacts reappear. That would be one (albeit non-ideal and somewhat sloppy) way of testing the directionality-through-use hypothesis.

Unless of course the directionality is irreversible. But then you might know.

Aug 1, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #15 of 61
Another thing I was thinking of (this was kind of mentioned) ... let's break this down to something simple (this is what I do ... ): is there anything asymmetrical about the cable? braiding, perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back