Cable direction makes a difference. Why?
Aug 3, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #46 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by pageman99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lots of thoughtful answers. Thanks.

Anybody out there get overwhelmed by curiosity, yet? Pulled those wires apart?

Remember physicists ain't engineers. We just need to know the theory. You who are experimenters can prove or disprove.

Not me. Oh no. I'm just going to listen to the music and bask in the warm glow of knowing I'm not nuts. Never mind, that's the single malt...

pageman, sounds like i know just the trick then, another gedanken experiment if you will.

consider a spherical cable .........

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #47 of 61
Quote:

pageman, sounds like i know just the trick then, another gedanken experiment if you will.

consider a spherical cable .........

Hah, brilliant!
biggrin.gif

But considering what you said before (about the dipole moments) - it seems like to actually make a wire they simply draw the material through holes to reduce the cross-section. Though for the life of me can't imagine what happens to the crystal structure of the solid, but maybe that has something to do with it? (Only regarding the possible "wire grain" that you were told about earlier)

Aug 3, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #48 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by circularlogic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hah, brilliant!
biggrin.gif

But considering what you said before (about the dipole moments) - it seems like to actually make a wire they simply draw the material through holes to reduce the cross-section. Though for the life of me can't imagine what happens to the crystal structure of the solid, but maybe that has something to do with it? (Only regarding the possible "wire grain" that you were told about earlier)

It's not even quite related, but one question I had that *might* be pertinent is that I wonder how even the heating process is. Heating large qtys of stuff tends to be very ... heterogeneous. Just trying to think of what could possibly give inherent directionality.

Aug 3, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #49 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by circularlogic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hah, brilliant!
biggrin.gif

nope, it seems that square cores are the way to go now.

Aug 3, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #50 of 61
Hmm I've always wondered what the arrows meant on some of the cables I have.... so do the arrows point to the source or the amp?

Aug 3, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #51 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gnus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm I've always wondered what the arrows meant on some of the cables I have.... so do the arrows point to the source or the amp?

the arrows are intended to indicate the direction of the signal path . . . .
from Source --> to Amp

Aug 3, 2007 at 8:53 PM Post #52 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from Source --> to Amp

Exactly!

By the way, lovely picture of your kitty!

Aug 3, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #53 of 61
Quote:

from Source --> to Amp

from VDH webpage.
As from May 1999 all our screened twin core, quadruple core and triaxial (i.e. balanced) interconnects that are ready-made with RCA type connectors for unbalanced/asymmetric signal transport are equipped with ground-end marking stickers.
This to provide additional indication regarding the side of the cable at which the shield is connected to the RCA connector’s shell (= ground). With these cables our standard rule that the shield’s grounded end is at the left side of the cable when holding the cable such that its type printing can be read is maintained.
With these cables already one of the internal conductors functions as signal return, connecting between signal source and receiver ground (see the illustration at the bottom of this page). In connecting the shield to ground only at one side of the cable and lifting it at the other side it functions as a true screen: It does not carry any audio signal; It screens the inner conductors and drains away unwanted noise to one location. This location (marked by the ground-end sticker) generally is chosen to be the signal source’s ground (*), however in a few cases better shielding performance can be obtained by reversing the cable, thus grounding the shield at the signal receiving side.
Please note that reversing the cable here has nothing to do with the sometimes used term “cable directionality”; In van den Hul cables this effect is absent.
Burn in effects and directionality found with some audio cables also partly can be pointed towards polluted contacts; For optimal contact care we therefore recommend our The SOLUTION contact fluid.

*: Here, tying the shield at the source end rather than at the receive end has the potential advantage of a reduction in the coupling of ambient electromagnetic high frequency noise into the audio signal due to possible "line to shield" capacitive unbalances...

groundend2.gif

Some has used the D102mkIII?

Aug 3, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #54 of 61
Cardas FAQ's

Cable Directionality
Q.) I just purchased a 1 meter pair of Neutral Reference interconnects. The instructions say to align the arrows away from the source. I don't see arrow markings on the jacket of this interconnect! Please explain. -Les

A.) The break in guide you have was produced before George designed the Reference line of cables. These cables are non directional, so it doesn't matter which way they are connected. Even though there is no audible difference, I usually recommend that customers hook up the cables so that the signal flows the same direction as the printing. - Brian

Aug 3, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #55 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly!

By the way, lovely picture of your kitty!

Thanks! That was me in a previous life
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #56 of 61
Quote:

Thanks! That was me in a previous life
biggrin.gif

Then you were much nicer in your previous life. Not only that, I've 5 of your relatives living with me now.

Aug 7, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #57 of 61
in 25 years of messing with cables, buying and building my own .....unless as stated they are pseudo balanced...I've heard no directionality. Worse still I've yet to be convinced cryogenics make any difference ...but that may just be me.

interesting someone quoted from vdh.....

I've had the misfortune to listen recently to there first and first ultimate cables ....the ones with carbon fibre in them..... both these cables in different systems added an echo on the trailing edges of vocals [though I suspect on all the notes played......] in both cases we swapped the ic for a simple silver twisted pair ....and hay presto the echo vanished ???? but with no loss of resolution. just thought I'd mention that if anyone was thinking of going down that route ...

Aug 7, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #58 of 61
I recently got the Stereovox Firebird speaker cable and noticed the cables markings were non-directional(wording at one end ran opposite to the other end). I contacted the designer who said that even after using it doesn't matter if you switch direction.

Aug 7, 2007 at 12:21 PM Post #59 of 61
Yeah, directionality makes no sense to me either. But I hear it. And not particularly subtle either. Who knows...

I amazes me that some folks don't hear differences in cables. To me that's like denying water is wet. Yet I don't question those folks, I just figure their equipment isn't resolving enough, or their ears aren't trained enough.

Note, I said trained enough. I think a lot of folks don't have the experience or the desire to listen to the sound, as opposed to the music, in a critical way.

Or they simply never noticed. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. On the other hand, maybe, I'm simply nuts. :xf_cool:

Aug 7, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #60 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccontreras /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cardas FAQ's

Cable Directionality
Q.) I just purchased a 1 meter pair of Neutral Reference interconnects. The instructions say to align the arrows away from the source. I don't see arrow markings on the jacket of this interconnect! Please explain. -Les

A.) The break in guide you have was produced before George designed the Reference line of cables. These cables are non directional, so it doesn't matter which way they are connected. Even though there is no audible difference, I usually recommend that customers hook up the cables so that the signal flows the same direction as the printing. - Brian

Now that makes no sense at all.

It's AC!!!! The signal doesn't flow in one direction!

GGGAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!! (sound of sejarzo gagging on snake oil...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back