Cable Burn In with regard to Audio Directionality.
Jul 16, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #286 of 302
Huh. I always burn my HDMI cables in, bidirectionally, before even thinking of watching a movie through them.

Same with my USB cables that go into my DAC/AMP. It sounds much warmer and gets rid of the ol' dreaded sibilance issues.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #287 of 302
I burn mine in in the oven at 350

Jul 16, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #288 of 302
I burn mine in in the oven at 350
Rookie mistake, you need an industrial autoclave to burn in the cable under a vacuum for 52 hours and 17mn with an hyperbolic temperature curve(to match the logarithmic nature of human hearing). Otherwise you won’t achieve vulcanization of the silver and you’ll only freeze the quantum directionally for one or 2 years.
After that if you ever need to use your cable in the other direction, you can apply cryoencabulation but it could give a boolean nature to some of the electrons so it’s usually not advertised.

Jul 16, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #289 of 302
Rookie mistake, you need an industrial autoclave to burn in the cable under a vacuum for 52 hours and 17mn with an hyperbolic temperature curve(to match the logarithmic nature of human hearing). Otherwise you won’t achieve vulcanization of the silver and you’ll only freeze the quantum directionally for one or 2 years.
After that if you ever need to use your cable in the other direction, you can apply cryoencabulation but it could give a boolean nature to some of the electrons so it’s usually not advertised.

Why does it have to be an *industrial* autoclave? That makes no sense and, frankly, it smacks of elitism.

Here’s a portable autoclave that I think will work just fine:

https://www.flinnsci.com/autoclave-electric-portable/ap1004/

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #290 of 302
Why does it have to be an *industrial* autoclave? That makes no sense and, frankly, it smacks of elitism.

Here’s a portable autoclave that I think will work just fine:

https://www.flinnsci.com/autoclave-electric-portable/ap1004/
That one is fine for mid-fi crap, tops. For summit-fi equipment you need the industrial one. That one is good for maybe 34 dB/m. You want to be able to hear the music the way it was intended, right?

Jul 16, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #291 of 302
For summit-fi equipment you need the industrial one.
Spoken by a newbie who obviously has never heard summit-fi equipment! What you actually need is a small autoclave, with a magnesium, aircraft grade aluminium or Honduras rosewood case, that’s made by an audiophile company, has testimonials from audiophiles and costs more than an industrial one. Industrial autoclave’s don’t even have audiophile grade fuses!
:deadhorse:

G

Jul 16, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #292 of 302
That one is fine for mid-fi crap, tops. For summit-fi equipment you need the industrial one. That one is good for maybe 34 dB/m. You want to be able to hear the music the way it was intended, right?

We’ve been over this a million times folks. The Flinn portable autoclave has been measured twice over at autoclavesciencereview and measures as advertised, at 96db/meter squared (at least next time get your units of measurement correct!!) or higher at all audible frequencies with all known cables. The fact that it’s a little glitchy at 24 kHz (34 db/ meter squared) with a few nonstandard cables makes no difference whatsoever except maybe to your dog.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #293 of 302
My oven has a convection fan and can air fry, so it is ideal for burning in just about anything. I just can't figure out what to use to burn in the oven. But of course you reach a sweeter sound by means of sous vide... It just takes a couple of years.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #294 of 302
costs more than an industrial one.
This one is the most important! If this criteria is not met, all other factors are negligible. Higher monetary cost being proportional to performance was recently proven to be the fifth physical fundamental force (beside strong/weak force, gravity and electromagnetism) at the IFMIAG (Institute For Most Important Audiophile Gear).

Jul 17, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #295 of 302
My oven has a convection fan and can air fry, so it is ideal for burning in just about anything. I just can't figure out what to use to burn in the oven. But of course you reach a sweeter sound by means of sous vide... It just takes a couple of years.

The nice thing about the Flinn Scientific portable autoclave is that you can put it in a larger oven or autoclave to burn it in.

Again: https://www.flinnsci.com/autoclave-electric-portable/ap1004/

Also, say you are at the gym, and you drop your IEMs on the floor. No problem! Just pop them in your Flinn Scientific portable autoclave for a few seconds to sterilize them and you are good to go.

For those folks who want to talk about absurdly overpriced magnesium, Rosewood, or aircraft grade aluminum autoclaves (and we all know which massively over-hyped vendors you are referring to, don’t we) I suggest you take the conversation elsewhere, to the dedicated DBT-free Autoclaves & Ovens head-fi sub-forum.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #296 of 302
Spoken by a newbie who obviously has never heard summit-fi equipment! What you actually need is a small autoclave, with a magnesium, aircraft grade aluminium or Honduras rosewood case, that’s made by an audiophile company, has testimonials from audiophiles and costs more than an industrial one. Industrial autoclave’s don’t even have audiophile grade fuses!
:deadhorse:

G
Whoah whoah, is that smiley a threat of assault? Rosewood is not THAT important, is it? I am fine with a luxury case of birch, if it's waxed so much it shines. :triportsad:
We’ve been over this a million times folks. The Flinn portable autoclave has been measured twice over at autoclavesciencereview and measures as advertised, at 96db/meter squared (at least next time get your units of measurement correct!!) or higher at all audible frequencies with all known cables. The fact that it’s a little glitchy at 24 kHz (34 db/ meter squared) with a few nonstandard cables makes no difference whatsoever except maybe to your dog.
Fine. I've bought thicc audiophile grade USB cables that needs some autoclave burn in soon.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #297 of 302
For those folks who want to talk about absurdly overpriced magnesium, Rosewood, or aircraft grade aluminum autoclaves (and we all know which massively over-hyped vendors you are referring to, don’t we) I suggest you take the conversation elsewhere, to the dedicated DBT-free Autoclaves & Ovens head-fi sub-forum.
DBT-free subforum 😂🤣 always loved that addendum.

You are not allowed to use logic in these threads! If you are being caught trying to make a reasonable argument, you will be kickbanned!!1! Only accepted methods are careful listening, like REALLY careful listening.

edit: deleted the last part, because i think it was a bit too cynical

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #299 of 302
Is that even possible with the audiophile world?

G
I mean, if we keep going on like that this Sound Science subforum will soon be renamed to “Cynical Outlaws of Hate-Fi”.

As much as I despise misinformation and marketing BS, I think constant bashing is probably not going to help either.
However, we will have something to laugh at, and that could also be seen as an achievement :)

Jul 20, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #300 of 302
I try to be friendly to folks who seem to honestly not know and don't have a chip on their shoulder. I'm polite to the rest once or twice before the gloves come off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back