Cable burn in -- what are the arguments in favor, if any?
May 29, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #61 of 74
I'm just gonna chime in to say cables do not make a difference.

But I do think it's good that people talk about these things and test possibilities and such. If something makes a difference, how would it ever be discovered if people were not constantly testing things and exploring different ideas.

May 31, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #62 of 74

It's simple really. They believe they hear a difference / improvement over time. No amount of technical explanation to the contrary will convince them otherwise. It's like trying to convince a believer that there is no god. Your scientific arguments will never trump their beliefs.

I suspect that many of them do hear an improvement over time  because that is how human preferences are known by science to work.  Listening pleasure is largely based on familiarity.

The illusion is usually that the added pleasure comes from the new cables. Many times they make no reliable difference at all, but listening pleasure keeps increasing  because that is how we work.

May 31, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #63 of 74

I suspect that many of them do hear an improvement over time  because that is how human preferences are known by science to work.  Listening pleasure is largely based on familiarity.

The illusion is usually that the added pleasure comes from the new cables. Many times they make no reliable difference at all, but listening pleasure keeps increasing  because that is how we work.

They believe it gets better and so it does. Isn't that what in psychology is called autosuggestion.

May 31, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #64 of 74
  They believe it gets better and so it does. Isn't that what in psychology is called autosuggestion.

Right.

One point is that a suggestion that the music sounds better (at least to a point) just happens naturally, even in the absence of any suggestions.

May 31, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #65 of 74

Right.

One point is that a suggestion that the music sounds better (at least to a point) just happens naturally, even in the absence of any suggestions.

Autosuggestion is akin to self hypnosis, one convinces themself. Some people use this to quit smoking.

Jun 8, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #66 of 74
I would say cable burn in is real - but it's not the cables that are burning in. We're mentally accomodating to a new habitant of our hi-fi system. Sole new presence is enough to change our perception of sound. It takes time to enjoy music again with a peaceful mindset, albeit as always prone to disturbances and suspicion. But that's just the very core of audiophile way of living - based on sound perception and subjective feelings.

Jun 8, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #67 of 74
  I would say cable burn in is real - but it's not the cables that are burning in. We're mentally accomodating to a new habitant of our hi-fi system. Sole new presence is enough to change our perception of sound. It takes time to enjoy music again with a peaceful mindset, albeit as always prone to disturbances and suspicion. But that's just the very core of audiophile way of living - based on sound perception and subjective feelings.

It's not real for me.

Jun 8, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #68 of 74
I did not say it's real in every case.

P.K.Dick said "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

It's much too narrow to encompass my view of reality, because love isn't real in accordance with the above quote.

Jun 8, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #69 of 74
If cable burn in is real, then we are in a big mess of troubles. Audio is low frequency application and it is not critical.  But if cable burn in is real, that means the electrical characteristic changed somehow overtime with usage. Communication cables are specified for very specific applications; satellite, phone wire, server and even monitoring of patients in ICU. A variation as simple as impedance could cause these applications to fail.Do we go back to space to change the cable every few years? Lay down new cables every few years. This will be extremely expensive. If audio cables are the only ones that change, (even when the audio is encoded), I think the change is not due to cable burn in. If you are using wireless, does that mean the air needs to be burned in?

Jun 8, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #70 of 74
  If you are using wireless, does that mean the air needs to be burned in?

Certainly not, but perhaps an audiophile humidifier or ionizer could be used to improve the air and make the signal crisper, fuller, and more detailed.  Naturally this change would not happen immediately, but only after several weeks of continuous usage that allowed the walls, floor, and ceiling to become permeated with the improved atmospheric audio/wi-fi layers.

Jun 8, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #71 of 74
  If cable burn in is real, then we are in a big mess of troubles. Audio is low frequency application and it is not critical.  But if cable burn in is real, that means the electrical characteristic changed somehow overtime with usage. Communication cables are specified for very specific applications; satellite, phone wire, server and even monitoring of patients in ICU. A variation as simple as impedance could cause these applications to fail.Do we go back to space to change the cable every few years? Lay down new cables every few years. This will be extremely expensive. If audio cables are the only ones that change, (even when the audio is encoded), I think the change is not due to cable burn in. If you are using wireless, does that mean the air needs to be burned in?

but you're talking about all those stuff that are just electricity and electronic. you forget that sound is more than what can be measured and thus more than electricity. also audio cables aren't electrical cables. else why do they cost so much?

and of course, one of the most important fact. death and decay have been conquered, only burn-in remains. that effect of time when any and all audio stuff become better by the hour. if only my body was an audio product! "hey GF, you can't leave, I become good after 4000h of burn in, everybody knows that. I will become more natural, smoother and more pleasing. my soundstage will open up just like my chakras."

Jun 8, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #72 of 74
Jun 9, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #73 of 74

That is IME probably the best Scientific argument.

There's a book that lays this out in more detail and with more scientific support than many can stand or get, but if you follow the bouncing ball all the way through you have to give the author his due:

"This Is Your Brain On Music"  by Levitin. 

Jun 9, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #74 of 74

but you're talking about all those stuff that are just electricity and electronic. you forget that sound is more than what can be measured and thus more than electricity. also audio cables aren't electrical cables. else why do they cost so much?

Maybe the reason why they are so expensive is precisely they cannot be measured or verified. The QA process involved might be hiring someone to listen to the cable and measure the soundstage with a ruler from their head to make sure they meet the spec. Or maybe it's a rip off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back