Cable burn in -- what are the arguments in favor, if any?
May 27, 2015 at 7:09 AM Post #31 of 74
This thread quickly turned to useless junk by those seeking entertainment.

May 27, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #32 of 74
it's all about not being fine with ignorance. people talk about burn in because once they experienced a change in sound. ok, first and foremost was that change a change, or an improvement? we all know too well that most pro burn in people will talk about the sound "opening" and all kinds of nonsense. that's just stupid and I can't think of 1 physical property that could lead to getting such a result.

now let's pretend that there was really a change, which I wouldn't dream of being 1% of all the people reporting a change(placebo+new toy effect+memory fails+ changing volume levels all the time= I know what I heard... not). so for the actual changes in sound, was it cable burn in? was is that a strand of a wire got lose from a bad soldering? did it then came in contact with another pole? was it that the cable was bent or crushed so much that it actually changed the overall electrical properties by changing the diameter of the cable by a huge margin?
was it that the cable is of dubious quality/material and some oxidization ended up changing some stuff about skin effect or whatever on a cable?

once we have put down all the possible reasons, if we did our job well enough, there shouldn't really be any more left. and a wire is something simple enough to pretend like we do know its physic properties very very well. so all we have to do then is find out which is the more relevant/probable/likely to have occurred.
I won't pretend that I ruled out all options, but out of all those I could think about right now, not 1 would translate into the signal getting better. so for me, the idea of burn in for cables should be called "aging" or "getting beat up" or something more fitting to the fact that a cable is a cable, and has no reasons to become better for the signal as time passes. it's not an engine it's a damn cable!

May 27, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #33 of 74
The subject of the thread was a simple question. "Cable burn in -- what are the arguments in favor, if any."

Please note the "if any."

The appropriate and equally simple answer should have been "No one has put forth any plausible argument in favor of cable burn in." Period. Full stop.

Would have saved a lot of trouble.

se

May 27, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #37 of 74
right, that was the last one. many years ago. Trillions of dollars in research and walks for the cure and nothing....they can't even get a cure, let alone root out the cause of anything. There's plenty of info to suggest a placebo sugar pill does better than modern pharmacutics. The point is progress is not as linear or as one directional as some think, and the latest and greatest scientific knowledge does not necessarily represent something of value. Think of the great pyramids. The older ones are far superior and the ones after are shrunken malformed, technically and aesthetically inferior. You'd think they would have gotten better at building them over time rather than worse. Where was the latest and greatest towards the end of that era? ob\viously tech and civilization goes up and down like a sine wav not like a straight line upwards and some way say many aspects of modern culture are on the wane. And so just because today, no one can document or explain other properties of a cable that may account for burn in does not negate the possibility.

May 27, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #38 of 74

And so just because today, no one can document or explain other properties of a cable that may account for burn in does not negate the possibility.

Can I assume that you are suggesting that some audible difference can be accounted for between a new cable and that same cable after having been used in an audio system for a specific amount of time?  If there is an audible difference, even if it could not be measured for some odd reason, do you believe that this difference could be identified by listening?  If you believe that it can be identified by listening, what might possibly dictate that an ABX test would not be practical in determining if a difference was actually being heard?

May 27, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #39 of 74
I haven't even gotten that far. There is so much resistance to even opening up the possibility that step one has not even been achieved with some of these people. Before you can prove anything, you need to come to a place where you can honestly consider it being a possibility othwerise you are biased against it and this is introducing scientific error....That is where i'm at with this discussion and am not even suggesting it's yay or nay with regards to actuality. The minds around here are so closed and certain i feel it's valuable to spend some time just trying to open up possibilities and wonder and that is what i'm trying to do with posts.....frankly  I doubt it's real either, but the resistance is so strong against it, it makes me wonder why and so that actually tells me there might be something to it. i.e. the lady doth protest too much, freuds reaction formation, projection etc....see where i'm at?

May 27, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #40 of 74
Along that reasoning, perhaps we should consider hiring Santa to deliver mail and to replace the US Postal Service?  I have not gotten as far as whether Santa exists, but I just wanted to open up the possibility that he could deliver our mail more efficiently.  I'm just throwing it out there, and I have no dog in this fight.  Personally, I'm doubting Santa is real, but if anyone opposes this plan outright, it would give me pause to consider that there might actually be something to this idea.

May 27, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #42 of 74
  right, that was the last one. many years ago. Trillions of dollars in research and walks for the cure and nothing....they can't even get a cure, let alone root out the cause of anything. There's plenty of info to suggest a placebo sugar pill does better than modern pharmacutics. The point is progress is not as linear or as one directional as some think, and the latest and greatest scientific knowledge does not necessarily represent something of value. Think of the great pyramids. The older ones are far superior and the ones after are shrunken malformed, technically and aesthetically inferior. You'd think they would have gotten better at building them over time rather than worse. Where was the latest and greatest towards the end of that era? ob\viously tech and civilization goes up and down like a sine wav not like a straight line upwards and some way say many aspects of modern culture are on the wane. And so just because today, no one can document or explain other properties of a cable that may account for burn in does not negate the possibility.

Are you actually trying to equate the myth of the burn in of a cable to a cure for cancer? I've never heard of such a rediculous thing. I feel like using stronger words to describe this notion of yours but am restraining myself. 
rolleyes.gif

May 27, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #43 of 74
why do you think certain posters drive you to such emotional contempt? If you thumb through a psychology 101 text at the library there are some possible explanations that may or may not apply.....I'm suggesting science is not always the greatest thing or ultimate reference because it can be corrupted over time by certain cultural movements. And that in such a zeitgeist it may be possible for such a group to overlook the possibility that they are not in the golden era they think they are in and that the past may have had higher points in some or all aspects. This relates to burn in because you fellas, as a group are totally set against it and claim science would have found a explanation for if if real. I'm suggesting science can't find much solution or explanaton for many other things and so logically this opens up th epossibility that even though current science cannot account for something does not mean a phenomenon doesn't exist, and then I would extend the possibility further, to incorporate the prior point, and suggest that past civilizations may have been able to. i.e.. alchemy etc... thanks for the back n forth. this is gentlemenly and while I suspect you feel it's a waste of time, I thank you for indulging me and not hurling insults..

May 27, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #44 of 74
  why do you think certain posters drive you to such emotional contempt? If you thumb through a psychology 101 text at the library there are some possible explanations that may or may not apply.....I'm suggesting science is not always the greatest thing or ultimate reference because it can be corrupted over time by certain cultural movements. And that in such a zeitgeist it may be possible for such a group to overlook the possibility that they are not in the golden era they think they are in and that the past may have had higher points in some or all aspects. This relates to burn in because you fellas, as a group are totally set against it and claim science would have found a explanation for if if real. I'm suggesting science can't find much solution or explanaton for many other things and so logically this opens up th epossibility that even though current science cannot account for something does not mean a phenomenon doesn't exist, and then I would extend the possibility further, to incorporate the prior point, and suggest that past civilizations may have been able to. i.e.. alchemy etc... thanks for the back n forth. this is gentlemenly and while I suspect you feel it's a waste of time, I thank you for indulging me and not hurling insults..

We're discussing simple stuff like cables, not quantum mechanics, string theory or dark matter. You're just being a wiseguy seeking attention in this forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back