Cable and pre-conception, placebo at work? DBT happy
Feb 13, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #61 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This should be done at the National meet in Chicago. Cables and members will be there.

I can help set some of this up via controlled attenuators and having a computer 'keep score' on what you thought was A vs B.

I just finished getting a relay attenuator working (finally!) and it would be simple to extend its code so that you could do DBT testing with it. it could either control 2 relay banks or just set the appropriate gain each time it changes input or output selectors.

would be interesting to see if the golden ears can really pick the A's from the B's (dacs, cables, amps and so on).

getting the gains matched (relay attens can easily work down to half and even quarter db levels) and having the computer do the randomizing for you would be a nice tool to use in this pursuit.

Feb 13, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #62 of 71
On the spec for the Benchmark DAC 1 pre it states the 'maximum amplitude of AC line related hum and noise is <-126db'.

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/system...-PRE-final.pdf

Bearing this in mind can someone please give me a rational explanation why I need a $300 power chord with this piece of equipment.

BTW. I like Hi Fi and love to discuss science and advances in audio but I just can't seem to get away from crazed cablers on this science forum. For example, I recently started a thread about equalisation and someone keeps trying to bring switching cables around as an alternative to using a graphic equaliser. I'm currently having some success by ignoring them as I don't want to ruin the thread.

IMO Its like some weird reverse Oedipus complex. No offence intended to you pro cablers, I'm sure its a very worthy interest, if that's what you're into, but sorry cables just don't rock my boat.

Does anyone know a Hi Fi science forum that is pro DBT and bans discussion of low resistance electrical conductors normally manufactured from copper?

Feb 13, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #63 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by brendon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have a point. However whether DACs and Amps make a difference in sound is not a debatable topic, its a hard fact which can be backed up scientifically with frequency graphs, SNR figures etc.

I don't think that's true: Audible noise is no issue with amps and DACs. Frequency-response deviations within ±0.2 dB and THD values within 0.001 and 0.05% (even with some tube electronics) shouldn't make a difference according to established psychoacoustics. But of course I agree that there are sonic differences among these devices, they're just not easy to detect in DBTs. (BTW, there has been a blind test with a speaker reproduction against a live orchestra on stage, and the public couldn't clearly identify which was which.)

Feb 13, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #64 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark_Jump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the spec for the Benchmark DAC 1 pre it states the 'maximum amplitude of AC line related hum and noise is <-126db'.

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/system...-PRE-final.pdf

Bearing this in mind can someone please give me a rational explanation why I need a $300 power chord with this piece of equipment.

BTW. I like Hi Fi and love to discuss science and advances in audio but I just can't seem to get away from crazed cablers on this science forum. For example, I recently started a thread about equalisation and someone keeps trying to bring switching cables around as an alternative to using a graphic equaliser. I'm currently having some success by ignoring them as I don't want to ruin the thread.

IMO Its like some weird reverse Oedipus complex. No offence intended to you pro cablers, I'm sure its a very worthy interest, if that's what you're into, but sorry cables just don't rock my boat.

Does anyone know a Hi Fi science forum that is pro DBT and bans discussion of low resistance electrical conductors normally manufactured from copper?

Try HydrogenAudio

Hydrogenaudio Forums (Powered by Invision Power Board)

Feb 14, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #65 of 71
Wait a minute.

1. People fail DBT - with amps - they measure differently

2. People fail DBT - with cables - they don't measure differently

What gives?

Feb 14, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #66 of 71
On a different note I will now classify 3 types of people that are relevant to head-fi.

1. Technician - works on principles within the framework set by engineers.

2. Engineers - creates applications within the current scientific understanding

3. Scientists - Explores new frontiers of knowledge - currently unknown and limited only by imagination - often mistaken for "psychological" incoherence.

Cable sceptics align more with 1 maybe 2
Cable differentiators align more so with 3

Lets say for argument sake - They made a breakthrough yesterday. Billions poured into the latest quantum science theory over the past ten years involving the building of 300 km spehrical underground vacuum in the quest to determine cable differences have yielded absolute evidence of audible differences in audio cables. The research commsioned by - ummm, me (because I had a spare 20 billion to devote to this research) would make no real difference to anybody. The people who heard these differences will continue to hear them and the people that never could, never will - unless they decide otherwise, but we all know that amounts to placebo.

Feb 14, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #67 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark_Jump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bearing this in mind can someone please give me a rational explanation why I need a $300 power chord

you don't. power chords are usually free but your guitar instructor might charge a bit for a lesson.

here, start with these: g5, a5, d5, e5 and see if that works out for you.

wink.gif
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #68 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by SP Wild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait a minute.

1. People fail DBT - with amps - they measure differently

2. People fail DBT - with cables - they don't measure differently

What gives?

differences make even less of an audible difference than what you originally thought?

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #69 of 71
Ok - so now even though it measures differently - these measurement deviations are not audible. In other words no matter how we look at it - You are right and I am wrong.

Ok - You have now converted me. Now I can spend all my money on drugs and prostitutes instead - YAY!!!

Feb 15, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #70 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DBT and science is hugely valuable and I respect your guys pursuit of the truth, but please temper your frustration and disdain of those who do not share your passion. We have all come here seeking to share our experiences with others and to find new ways to enhance our future experiences. If you build too much animosity towards folks who love music as much as you do, the community will fall apart, and then we will have nothing.

Well said Fraggler.
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back