C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp (80 Hours from a Single Charge!) [Buyer Review]
Feb 10, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #616 of 3,421
Although 2-3X the price, could the Headstage Arrow be the best of both worlds?

Yes it is!! I have both and although I do love my BH and it really shines with certain headphones and types of music, the Headstage is just better in all aspects. But it is 3x the price. I have a full comparison in the thread already.

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #617 of 3,421
Quote:
Quote:
Although 2-3X the price, could the Headstage Arrow be the best of both worlds?

Yes it is!! I have both and although I do love my BH and it really shines with certain headphones and types of music, the Headstage is just better in all aspects. But it is 3x the price. I have a full comparison in the thread already.

Interesting. I've been too invested in the sub $150 range for portable amps...... Maybe I won't get an E12, and save my pennies for the Headstage Arrow.... Well I guess I'll do some research first :wink: Thanks for the mention guys. 

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #619 of 3,421
Quote:

Interesting. I've been too invested in the sub $150 range for portable amps...... Maybe I won't get an E12, and save my pennies for the Headstage Arrow.... Well I guess I'll do some research first :wink: Thanks for the mention guys. 

If you are using anything but an Apple device, you should also look into the Leckerton UHA-6S MK II. It is said by many to be the best portable amp in the sub 500$ range. It included a built in DAC that is very good imo.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #620 of 3,421
Quote:
If you are using anything but an Apple device, you should also look into the Leckerton UHA-6S MK II. It is said by many to be the best portable amp in the sub 500$ range. It included a built in DAC that is very good imo.

Thanks. The question for me, and only me of course, is whether or not it would be worth an extra $150 over over the C&C or E12. May the research begin!

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #621 of 3,421
Quote:

I read the Leckerton sounds great, but may be underpowered for some, especially for the price.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #622 of 3,421
Quote:
Quote:

iPod Touch G3 user here, but thanks for that advice too.  However, I've been lusting over the GoDAP X but it's way more money than I'd like to put towards something like that. I've given myself a dollar value for my point of diminishing returns at ~$300, unless I happen to stumble across all sorts of money then I'm going summit-fi 
size]

So for all intents and purposes, the BH is something of a gem for being $100. If I'm to 'upgrade' my portable amp to something more expensive, I'm looking at something that will perform at the same price-performance ratio as the BH. I like to get the most out of my money, and on paper, the Headstage Arrow seems to be it. The only amp/DAC that seem to fit the bill, and budget, so far is the Practical Devices XM5. That thing is beast. 

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #623 of 3,421
Why not try the C&C XO2? :wink: I'm sure many of us here are wondering how it sounds, especially considering the performance ratio on a 2.5 year old BH. :wink:

Only a few clicks away + one crying wallet and you can answer many questions for us.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261013516950?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Seriously though, if XO2 puts out similar performance ratio I may try one eventually. It's venturing into my upmost limits I'd personally spend though.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #624 of 3,421
Quote:
Quote:
I think it's all up to preference. I want the E12 for my M-100s, but I think they're most complimented with the BH, but for different reasons. Honestly wish I oculd have the best of both worlds, but I don't think double amping them would be a goo idea, or portable at all. 
I agree that the BH would be best with clausterphobic headphones, but it also makes headphones with a huge soundstage even more infinite - which is very nice. And same with that added soul. Also the fact that both the M-100s and BH are details monsters, it's a great combo imo. 

The portability of such a setup with depend on the user, of course. I initially put them together like that to easily A/B them, but I might just keep it like this. It is rather hefty, though. Bill-P already tried double amping the two together and I pretty agree with his thoughts, they're both better off by themselves. Pushing the E12 through the BH made the mids a congested and the bass of the E12 is just better on its own.

pffft. That's a beast of a rig. 

And thanks for clarifying the double amping situation. I can't say I like the size of the E12. It's still portable, but it's rather big in comparison. Having a thin iPod Touch strapped to it wouldn't be so bad, and might be a better ergonomic shape than with the BH, but weight is also a factor. I also like the flask-like bevelling on the BH quite a lot. 

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #625 of 3,421
Quote:
So for all intents and purposes, the BH is something of a gem for being $100. If I'm to 'upgrade' my portable amp to something more expensive, I'm looking at something that will perform at the same price-performance ratio as the BH. I like to get the most out of my money, and on paper, the Headstage Arrow seems to be it. The only amp/DAC that seem to fit the bill, and budget, so far is the Practical Devices XM5. That thing is beast. 

I'd be all over the C&C if it didn't sound like the E12 (version 1) might be the best option for my headphones (ad900x).

Looking at that XM5 though, I can see that we are not in Kansas any more - there seems to be a few options in the $200-$300 range - so a lot more research would have to be done!

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #626 of 3,421
Quote:
I read the Leckerton sounds great, but may be underpowered for some, especially for the price.

It is true, it won't match the power of say the E12, but it has more than enough power if you are a IEM only user. Any IEM will be sufficiently powered without any problems. If you are a hybrid earphone/headphone user and listen to both from this amp then you right, you should look into to other options.

Others should also look at the new JDSLabs C5, From the early specs and informations, it may give the mid-tier amps a run for their money (i.e C421, Arrow 4g, UHA, Neco V3, etc.)

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #628 of 3,421
Quote:
Why not try the C&C XO2?
wink.gif
I'm sure many of us here are wondering how it sounds, especially considering the performance ratio on a 2.5 year old BH.
wink.gif

Only a few clicks away + one crying wallet and you can answer many questions for us.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261013516950?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Seriously though, if XO2 puts out similar performance ratio I may try one eventually. It's venturing into my upmost limits I'd personally spend though.

Ugh the XO2....how did I forget about that...You're totally right about the price perfomance for it. C&C has something special with the BH, I can't see them taking backwards steps with the XO2.....

this place is turning me into an addict, NEEDING to try everything within my spending limits...... It's only a matter of time (and money) really

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #629 of 3,421
Ugh the XO2....how did I forget about that...You're totally right about the price perfomance for it. C&C has something special with the BH, I can't see them taking backwards steps with the XO2.....

this place is turning me into an addict, NEEDING to try everything within my spending limits...... It's only a matter of time (and money) really

Early in the birthing of this thread a member turned up who owns X02. he seems to enjoy it very much so.

Starts here basically. 1000mW +1000 mW - Headphone Adapter Impedance: 8-600Ω

http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review/30#post_9022953

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:09 AM Post #630 of 3,421
I think it's all up to preference. I want the E12 for my M-100s, but I think they're most complimented with the BH, but for different reasons. Honestly wish I oculd have the best of both worlds, but I don't think double amping them would be a goo idea, or portable at all. 
I agree that the BH would be best with clausterphobic headphones, but it also makes headphones with a huge soundstage even more infinite - which is very nice. And same with that added soul. Also the fact that both the M-100s and BH are details monsters, it's a great combo imo. 

The portability of such a setup with depend on the user, of course. I initially put them together like that to easily A/B them, but I might just keep it like this. It is rather hefty, though. Bill-P already tried double amping the two together and I pretty agree with his thoughts, they're both better off by themselves. Pushing the E12 through the BH made the mids a congested and the bass of the E12 is just better on its own.

pffft. That's a beast of a rig. 

And thanks for clarifying the double amping situation. I can't say I like the size of the E12. It's still portable, but it's rather big in comparison. Having a thin iPod Touch strapped to it wouldn't be so bad, and might be a better ergonomic shape than with the BH, but weight is also a factor. I also like the flask-like bevelling on the BH quite a lot. 

I tried venturing out with the E12 and it's just too big and bulky. The BH, being so smal, fits really nicely behind an iPod and more than suits my portable needs. Probably just gonna keep the E12 at home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back