C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp (80 Hours from a Single Charge!) [Buyer Review]
Feb 10, 2013 at 5:39 AM Post #601 of 3,421
Thanks for that pngwn. :smile:

Certainly appears E12 has the low end down pat atm with the current model, (well that's the feeling I'm getting) I just curious if lifting the boost in their next batch will have a positive or negative reaction. I think a few months ago E12 may of interested me, though BH's strong areas you mentioned such as clarity and soundstage are my main focus these days, those are two things Bill-P also mentioned. I also read a post from Bill-P in his thread saying BH has better detailing levels, I will try to demo E12 in the near future, however I am very content atm with size performance, and battery life of BH. it was very interesting reading your opinion on the two. I would probably post that in Bill-P's thread too

Regarding BH's battery, I really don't know how long it will go for I have taken the amp to 50 hours before charging, usually once a month I let my devices run flat to condition the battery so I'll check out this light dimming mystery.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #603 of 3,421
By The way guys, do you BH owners use output 1 or 2? i prefer number 2, it seems to be more detailed and to my ear has slightly better bass punch to my HD598's. OUT1 has maybe little bit emphasis on mid's, but the HD598's mids are truly exceptionally good so it doesnt effect these cans much.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #604 of 3,421
I like output 2, gain on, LF on.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #605 of 3,421
First, thanks to pngwn for adding his impressions to my thread. It'll add more perspective for readers.

Quote:
...though BH's strong areas you mentioned such as clarity and soundstage are my main focus these days, those are two things Bill-P also mentioned. I also read a post from Bill-P in his thread saying BH has better detailing levels...

And yeah, I'll confirm this again. BH has noticeably better clarity, detail presentation, and a more expansive (better width) soundstage than E12.

Also E12 is far too loud (powerful) for sensitive IEMs to be of any help.

I think E12 is better suited to mid and high-end headphones that need a lot of amping power. I'm thinking DT880 250 Ohm and 600 Ohm level there. Typically, those headphones have a lot of treble, and they already have an expansive soundstage to begin with, but they need a boost in bass and midrange.

But for dynamic IEMs that need a lift in clarity, BH is the far better alternative to E12, and also the far better sounding. IEMs are typically more in need of a soundstage lift than headphones, too.

My most used weapon of choice is a mid-fi headphone, so I'm more inclined to use E12. But that's just my personal preference. I think BH and E12 represent two extremes of the spectrum, and they both complement my audio gears in different ways, rather than competing with each other.

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #606 of 3,421
Quote:

I got my BH on Tuesday and have been using it for the better part of every evening (6+ hours of use in addition to being left on by accident for two nights...) and the light doesn't look anything like dim or dark to me yet. 
rolleyes.gif
 I guess I might find out what that looks like soon?

Anyway, compared to the BH, the E12 loses in terms of clarity. BH with OUT2 and SF on is terrific at bringing out detail even in busy pieces like Clint Mansell's Death is the Road to Awe, which I have been using to A/B the two amps. The E12 has spectacular bass that destroys the BH's, however; texture, authority, and impact without bleeding into the midrange. The BH's bass boost in comparison to the E12's just sounds like more bass, but without the texture and layers. Not that it's bad, no; the E12's just sounds better. 

Regarding treble, I'd rate the BH higher, especially on OUT2 with SF and LF. Comparing the headphone out to the E12, though, I'm happy to report that, to my ears, at least, the E12 improves the treble and clarity; still loses to the BH, though, but only barely. The BH has more sparkle and clarity than the E12. With LF and SF on, I sometimes feel the BH has almost too much treble, but it's never uncomfortable. 

To compare the what I think about the two amps' tones, I would say that both deliver a satisfying representation of the spectrum; however, the BH is able to deliver greater clarity, slighter more expansive soundstage, and a bit more sparkle up top while the E12 has a far more textured bass response and a magical mid range that makes me fall in love with vocals. My preference for either amp just depends on what I want to hear from my music or what genre I'm listening to.

I've been tending to use the BH more for instrumental, classical, and sometimes general songs (alternative, indie, some pop) with vocals, while the E12 gets preference with bass heavy music like the whole of EDM (Drum and Bass, trance, progressive house, electro, fidget, dubstep, etc), some rock and metal, some orchestral pieces that prominently feature cellos.

I think this a bit of an unfair comparison. First of all, you can't use LF and SF switches on the BH to compare to the E12, because the E12 doesn't have those features. The BH's "Bass Boost" is also not just an actual bass boost, it also boosts the highs.. so when comparing the E12's bass boost, the difference in treble should be irrelevant. I've had both amps for a little over three days now, and I can tell you that I do agree, the BH sounds clearer, but not by much. Soundstage wise, unless you are using the "SF" switch, the BH soundstage is not bigger or wider, but just more emphasized. That's what the option does, and does it in a "unique" fashion. I agree that if you are looking for the sparkling highs the BH will serve you better. I agree that if you were to choose between these two amps, you have to consider what you are mainly going to be listening to, and whether or not you want a warm-ish sound sig or a more analytical one.

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #607 of 3,421
From what I am reading here, it sounds like the E12 and BH are really comparable in quality but pair well with different headphones.  For my M-100s and headphones that have less extended highs, the BH might be the way to go.  For brighter headphones with lighter bass, the E12 would match nicely with those.  Does that sound like a fair assessment to those who have heard both with a variety of headphones?

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:04 PM Post #608 of 3,421
Quote:

My most used weapon of choice is a mid-fi headphone, so I'm more inclined to use E12. But that's just my personal preference. I think BH and E12 represent two extremes of the spectrum, and they both complement my audio gears in different ways, rather than competing with each other.

Precisely why I need both....... Oh head-fi the things you do to my wallet..... -_-'

And thanks pngwn for your impressions, between you and Bill-P, you've solidified my need for the E12 based soley on the bass texturing a mid range. I'm a bass head so it's necessary. My M-100s have nice textured bass already so I can only imagine what the E12 can do to them, and the laidback mids could use some help.

That said though, the M-100s detail and soundstage are impressive and the BH compliment it nicely The BH makes my M-100s REALLY fun, but the mid range suffers far too much with the LF switch on, and that's something I feel I'm missing of a negative for my combo, and the E12 would fix that. Keep in mind it not a damning feature of the BH, but having a V shaped switch with already laid back midrange on the headphones - doesn't really -help- the mids at all, unless on Out1, as earlier stated, but not by a lot. 

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #609 of 3,421
Quote:
From what I am reading here, it sounds like the E12 and BH are really comparable in quality but pair well with different headphones.  For my M-100s and headphones that have less extended highs, the BH might be the way to go.  For brighter headphones with lighter bass, the E12 would match nicely with those.  Does that sound like a fair assessment to those who have heard both with a variety of headphones?

Hm... not quite. I think BH is better suited for claustrophobic (read: small or non-existent soundstage) headphones, and those that have thick and congested sound signature (Out 2 will help thinning things out).

E12 doesn't pair well with just brighter or lighter headphones. It also adds weight and midrange magic to headphones that already have plenty of that. Basically, it adds weight and soul to the music.

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #610 of 3,421
Thanks pgnwn! I think I now know which amp I am leaning towards to pair win my ad900x's!

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #611 of 3,421
Quote:
Quote:

Hm... not quite. I think BH is better suited for claustrophobic (read: small or non-existent soundstage) headphones, and those that have thick and congested sound signature (Out 2 will help thinning things out).

E12 doesn't pair well with just brighter or lighter headphones. It also adds weight and midrange magic to headphones that already have plenty of that. Basically, it adds weight and soul to the music.

I think it's all up to preference. I want the E12 for my M-100s, but I think they're most complimented with the BH, but for different reasons. Honestly wish I oculd have the best of both worlds, but I don't think double amping them would be a goo idea, or portable at all. 
I agree that the BH would be best with clausterphobic headphones, but it also makes headphones with a huge soundstage even more infinite - which is very nice. And same with that added soul. Also the fact that both the M-100s and BH are details monsters, it's a great combo imo. 

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #614 of 3,421
Quote:
I think it's all up to preference. I want the E12 for my M-100s, but I think they're most complimented with the BH, but for different reasons. Honestly wish I oculd have the best of both worlds, but I don't think double amping them would be a goo idea, or portable at all. 
I agree that the BH would be best with clausterphobic headphones, but it also makes headphones with a huge soundstage even more infinite - which is very nice. And same with that added soul. Also the fact that both the M-100s and BH are details monsters, it's a great combo imo. 

The portability of such a setup with depend on the user, of course. I initially put them together like that to easily A/B them, but I might just keep it like this. It is rather hefty, though. Bill-P already tried double amping the two together and I pretty agree with his thoughts, they're both better off by themselves. Pushing the E12 through the BH made the mids a congested and the bass of the E12 is just better on its own.

Feb 10, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #615 of 3,421
Quote:

Although 2-3X the price, could the Headstage Arrow be the best of both worlds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back