C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp (80 Hours from a Single Charge!) [Buyer Review]
Feb 10, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #586 of 3,421
don't rub it in, need to sell something first i think, looking at the stable here and trouble is....they are all so good.  A painful sacrificial can ceremony soon complete with some shamanic drumming tracks i have.
I don't think I will be able to make a tulpa of one, nothing has manifested so far no matter how hard or all-encompassing I work it.

Now...what about yourself ( ahem )

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:57 AM Post #587 of 3,421
So, whatcha gonna sell me lol! Only half kidding... you got lots of good stuff.. with mods already taken care of! (perfect for a lazy sob like me lol!)

I probably should just get this c&c to pull out all of the awesomeness of the ad900x's. But I am patiently waiting for pngwn to report back with his impressions of the synergy between the ad900"cs and the c&c versus e12. Patiently lol!

Feb 10, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #588 of 3,421
You're lucky there that he will be able to give you a direct impression with exactly what you have now. Perfect.

Hopefully he can tell you ( even through PM ) how those fare with all the various switches.

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #589 of 3,421
Yes, so many combinations to listen to ... OUT1 or OUT2 with some combination of gain, low frequency, and sound field versus the E12 with or without crossfeed (not really liking it), gain, bass boost. On top of which, comparisons between using an L10 LOD and the stock cables.

It's definitely pretty close, but I think I'm developing a favorite to drive the AD900X out of. More of that in my review thread in the next few days, though. 

What I will say about the BH right now since I've been listening to it for the past few hours is that I prefer OUT1 with gain and LF on most of the time. The soundfield switch was cool at first, but the novelty has kind of worn off and the change in frequency it produces doesn't appeal to me at all, though YMMV. It's not as if the AD900X needs more soundfield anyway :p The extra bass from the LF switch certainly doesn't hurt, though. It does a sort of V shaped boost, but to my ears, the slight treble boost isn't bad. The bass boost is nice, though.

Also, vocals on OUT1 have a much clearer and forward presentation than on OUT2. 

One of the possible disadvantages of OUT1 is the pretty small volume pot range due to the greater output compared to OUT2. This is particularly true in my case since I like to have gain on for a little extra oomph. The small volume pot range could be a bit dangerous considering how easy the knob is to turn, so that's something to consider; OUT2 provides a lot more space on the knob.

Feb 10, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #590 of 3,421
Quote:
And so I ordered the little BH. Couldn't resist after all the impressions (and the battery life)
happy_face1.gif

If the BH wins at anything, it wins at battery life. Like many others in this thread, I'm dumbfounded by the how long it's going without a charge. I'm still running on the initial charge it had when I opened it up! 

Feb 10, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #591 of 3,421
Quote:

If the BH wins at anything, it wins at battery life. Like many others in this thread, I'm dumbfounded by the how long it's going without a charge. I'm still running on the initial charge it had when I opened it up! 

Same here, i had it running music the hole yesterday and this morning and its still going strong! Was the "dimmed" power light when you have low battery true?

Feb 10, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #592 of 3,421
Quote:
Quote:

Same here, i had it running music the hole yesterday and this morning and its still going strong! Was the "dimmed" power light when you have low battery true?

I suspect that's true, but it doesn't look dimmed to me yet LOL I guess I'll find out when it finally dies...

Feb 10, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #593 of 3,421
In this listing taken from MisterTao there is a guide for charging and maintaining C&C BH's battery.

The section under lined is what made me curious about the light dimming or described as darkening in the description.

Charge:

Random power into the power outlet and the other end miniUSB plug into the amp 5V power jack, and can be automatically charged. Charging, P / C-color indicator light turns red, fast full when the lights dimmed or extinguished, full automatically stop charging. Air power, or been shelved indefinitely, need to charge more than 10 hours to full charge about 4-8 hours in normal use. Amp internal regulator, charge control circuit will not overcharge, over-discharge, and to ensure that the battery life. Amp can be a number of days to plug power. Batteries are nearly exhausted, P / C light to dark, to extinguish prompted the charge to try to charge ahead, to avoid battery exhaustion forget to recharge.
If the amp is not being used for a long period, should be fully charged kept in a cool, dry place, and every 3-6 months once again full of empty electrical storage may damage the battery.

Regarding E12, I have two concerns, well three if you include the battery time. Firstly, E12 puts out far to much power for my IEM's (I don't use headphones) it's total overkill. Secondly, I am concerned E12 may have a similar veil I experienced with E11 over the entire frequency range, some may notice it as 'warmth' but with E11, personally I found you actually lost some detail and clarity compared to the sources headphone out alone, that's what made me sell my E11 searching elsewhere. I like crisp, clean, smooth signature with clarity, sparkly treble ,clean non intrusive bass, not dark, warm or muddy. If members who have both E12 and BH can please describe E12's tone I would be interested how the two amps compare in that regard.

Feb 10, 2013 at 4:50 AM Post #597 of 3,421
Quote:
In this listing taken from MisterTao there is a guide for charging and maintaining C&C BH's battery.

The section under lined is what made me curious about the light dimming or described as darkening in the description.

Quote:
Charge:

Random power into the power outlet and the other end miniUSB plug into the amp 5V power jack, and can be automatically charged. Charging, P / C-color indicator light turns red, fast full when the lights dimmed or extinguished, full automatically stop charging. Air power, or been shelved indefinitely, need to charge more than 10 hours to full charge about 4-8 hours in normal use. Amp internal regulator, charge control circuit will not overcharge, over-discharge, and to ensure that the battery life. Amp can be a number of days to plug power. Batteries are nearly exhausted, P / C light to dark, to extinguish prompted the charge to try to charge ahead, to avoid battery exhaustion forget to recharge.
If the amp is not being used for a long period, should be fully charged kept in a cool, dry place, and every 3-6 months once again full of empty electrical storage may damage the battery.

Regarding E12, I have two concerns, well three if you include the battery time. Firstly, E12 puts out far to much power for my IEM's (I don't use headphones) it's total overkill. Secondly, I am concerned E12 may have a similar veil I experienced with E11 over the entire frequency range, some may notice it as 'warmth' but with E11 I found you actually lost some detail and clarity compared to the sources headphone out alone, that's what made me sell my E11 searching elsewhere. I like crisp, clean, smooth signature with clarity, sparkly treble ,clean non intrusive bass, not dark, warm or muddy. If members who have both E12 and BH can please describe E12's tone I would be interested how the two amps compare in that regard.

I got my BH on Tuesday and have been using it for the better part of every evening (6+ hours of use in addition to being left on by accident for two nights...) and the light doesn't look anything like dim or dark to me yet. 
rolleyes.gif
 I guess I might find out what that looks like soon?

Anyway, compared to the BH, the E12 loses in terms of clarity. BH with OUT2 and SF on is terrific at bringing out detail even in busy pieces like Clint Mansell's Death is the Road to Awe, which I have been using to A/B the two amps. The E12 has spectacular bass that destroys the BH's, however; texture, authority, and impact without bleeding into the midrange. The BH's bass boost in comparison to the E12's just sounds like more bass, but without the texture and layers. Not that it's bad, no; the E12's just sounds better. 

Regarding treble, I'd rate the BH higher, especially on OUT2 with SF and LF. Comparing the headphone out to the E12, though, I'm happy to report that, to my ears, at least, the E12 improves the treble and clarity; still loses to the BH, though, but only barely. The BH has more sparkle and clarity than the E12. With LF and SF on, I sometimes feel the BH has almost too much treble, but it's never uncomfortable. 

To compare the what I think about the two amps' tones, I would say that both deliver a satisfying representation of the spectrum; however, the BH is able to deliver greater clarity, slighter more expansive soundstage, and a bit more sparkle up top while the E12 has a far more textured bass response and a magical mid range that makes me fall in love with vocals. My preference for either amp just depends on what I want to hear from my music or what genre I'm listening to.

I've been tending to use the BH more for instrumental, classical, and sometimes general songs (alternative, indie, some pop) with vocals, while the E12 gets preference with bass heavy music like the whole of EDM (Drum and Bass, trance, progressive house, electro, fidget, dubstep, etc), some rock and metal, some orchestral pieces that prominently feature cellos.

Feb 10, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #598 of 3,421
Quote:

I got my BH on Tuesday and have been using it for the better part of every evening (6+ hours of use in addition to being left on by accident for two nights...) and the light doesn't look anything like dim or dark to me yet. 
rolleyes.gif
 I guess I might find out what that looks like soon?

Anyway, compared to the BH, the E12 loses in terms of clarity. BH with OUT2 and SF on is terrific at bringing out detail even in busy pieces like Clint Mansell's Death is the Road to Awe, which I have been using to A/B the two amps. The E12 has spectacular bass that destroys the BH's, however; texture, authority, and impact without bleeding into the midrange. The BH's bass boost in comparison to the E12's just sounds like more bass, but without the texture and layers. Not that it's bad, no; the E12's just sounds better. 

Regarding treble, I'd rate the BH higher, especially on OUT2 with SF and LF. Comparing the headphone out to the E12, though, I'm happy to report that, to my ears, at least, the E12 improves the treble and clarity; still loses to the BH, though, but only barely. The BH has more sparkle and clarity than the E12.

To compare the what I think about the two amps' tones, I would say that both deliver a satisfying representation of the spectrum; however, the BH is able to deliver greater clarity, slighter more expansive soundstage, and a bit more sparkle up top while the E12 has a far more textured bass response and a magical mid range that makes me fall in love with vocals. My preference for either amp just depends on what I want to hear from my music or what genre I'm listening to. I tend to use the BH more for instrumental, classical, and sometimes general songs (alternative, indie, some pop) with vocals, while the E12 gets preference with bass heavy music like the whole of EDM (Drum and Bass, trance, progressive house, electro, fidget, dubstep, etc), some rock and metal, some orchestral pieces that prominently feature cellos.

I think after reading it comes to personal preference, do you want more neutral sounding with good soundstage and CRAZY battery life, or more warm sounding with great bass but not so great soundstage or neutrality/clarity.

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #599 of 3,421
Quote:
I think after reading it comes to personal preference, do you want more neutral sounding with good soundstage and CRAZY battery life, or more warm sounding with great bass but not so great soundstage or neutrality/clarity.

It's pretty much down to personal preference, yeah. I'd love for any other members with both amps to chime in with their thoughts, though. Perhaps I should post this in Bill-P's thread as well or make my own with that  comprehensive comparison review I've been saying I'm gonna do...

In terms of the soundstage, the E12 still has a great soundstage, it's just not as expansive as the BH's. Then again, my AD900X has a big soundstage of its own, so perhaps the soundstage difference would be much more noticeable on different cans? Deciding between the two does basically come down to neutral, terrific soundstage and battery versus warm with exquisite bass, though.

Also, the previous comparisons were based on 320 kbps mp3. I've yet to exhaustively A/B the two amps with .FLAC. I expect the results to be pretty much the same, though.

Feb 10, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #600 of 3,421
Quote:

It's pretty much down to personal preference, yeah. I'd love for any other members with both amps to chime in with their thoughts, though. Perhaps I should post this in Bill-P's thread as well or make my own with that  comprehensive comparison review I've been saying I'm gonna do...

In terms of the soundstage, the E12 still has a great soundstage, it's just not as expansive as the BH's. Then again, my AD900X has a big soundstage of its own, so perhaps the soundstage difference would be much more noticeable on different cans? Deciding between the two does basically come down to neutral, terrific soundstage and battery versus warm with exquisite bass, though.

Also, the previous comparisons were based on 320 kbps mp3. I've yet to exhaustively A/B the two amps with .FLAC. I expect the results to be pretty much the same, though.

I was thinking of getting the E12 until i heard this, havent heard it tho and prob not going to, this will serve as my go to rig's amp for some time (ill probably get CLAS at some point when i get some more money and perhaps iBasso PB2 to go with it....will see)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back