bying forum
Aug 29, 2004 at 12:56 PM Post #2 of 16
Buying 2nd hand gear can actually be a very wise decision. I've done it a few times myself, and bought my current amp and phones for a huge discount off of the price I would have paid new. The biggest advantage is that invariably, at some point you will buy something you don't like, but you can sell it with very small (if any) loss. Just make sure you buy from someone who has good, reliable feedback, either here or elsewhere. Just look at the sheer number of transactions in the FS/FT forums and you will see people buy, sell, and trade gear here all the time. Head-Fi is a very safe place to deal relative to just about anywhere else on the net, just make sure you buy from a reliable buyer. Hope this helps!

Oh, and this really belongs in the members lounge.

Aug 29, 2004 at 1:01 PM Post #3 of 16
I agree, i've only bought one pair of headphones new and those would be my hd-600's. Wait actually also my shures. But all the others I bought used. And even my amp. U dont lose as much if you decide u dont like it and want to sell. Make sure u buy from someone who has good freedback. Good luck

Aug 29, 2004 at 1:17 PM Post #4 of 16
Probably you'll learn during your quest for the optimal headphone rig that you can't simply rely on recommendations of other members.
The journey is fun itself.
Buying used means that you'll be able to gain experience (including disappointments) without burning a hole into your wallet.

Aug 29, 2004 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ambro
i'm just wondering if it is wise to buy 2hand headphones?
Any of you guys had experiences with this?

thanx

Most of my headphones have been bought used. And that's a lot of headphones. My Sennheiser dynamic headphones were bought new, as were my Etymotics and Grado PS-1. Everything else is from the used market, including the R10. As long as you are buying from a seller who conscientiously describes any known flaws with the headphone, the used market can save you a lot of money.

Aug 29, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 16
I've only every bought used phones and amps. No problems. I've saved a good chunk of cash this way.

Aug 29, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 16
It can be a great way to save some money and burn-in time. All the members I've dealt with in the past were very pleasant to deal with. Out of my current system, my HD600s and Gilmore V2-se were purchased used on the forums, and they both arrived quickly from the sellers in top-notch condition - no way you could distinguish them from brand new (except they probably sounded better than new because of burn-in
wink.gif
).

Just be sure to ask the seller if the equipment was used in a smoking environment, if the smell bothers you - sometimes smokers don't realize that this can be an issue worth noting. It's more important with headphones, as they take longer to air out.

Aug 29, 2004 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 16
All of the headphones that I have bough have been used. As for my amps, it is almost half and half new versus used. I wanted particular options in my Singlepower so it was bought new, as was my SR-71, and my SuperDual.

So now I am looking for a set of Grado PS-1s used....

Aug 29, 2004 at 6:35 PM Post #10 of 16
thanx guys for the reply's
i was thinking about buying the senns 580
but this afternoon i was surfing a bit and i found a site in france where i could buy the 600 for about 250 dollar (was 239€)new. On headroom the price is 350 dollars! is this a bargain or are the prices on headroom not up to date?

Aug 29, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #12 of 16
If you ask headroom for a price quote, they'll give you a better number than what's listed. They have to display those prices for the hd600/650 for legal reasons, I think.

Aug 29, 2004 at 8:17 PM Post #13 of 16
I buy most consumer items, electronics, automobiless, "toys", etc. used. This is a great route to go to stretch your $$ further, and you can avoid big losses if you sell an item later since you often get as much (and sometimes more) than what you paid for it (minus shipping, generally).

You have to shop wisely, be smart about who you are buying from, do a little research to make sure you're getting what you think you're getting (current model/latest version, etc.), but overall it's a great way to try out stuff you are interested in for significantly less $$.

BTW, my wife is even more aggressive about saving--it seems she refuses to accept that the list price for anything is firm and I regularly watch her negotiating the sales price on everything from vacuum cleaners to cookware to clothing to medical bills. It really pays off in the end to realize that price is what is agreed upon by a buyer and a seller, not simply what a buyer asks for something.

Have fun.

Aug 29, 2004 at 8:46 PM Post #15 of 16
you could find a good quality used 600 for less than 200 USD on the forums here. I saw one a few days ago for 160.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back