Bye head-fi
Sep 13, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #16 of 30
Because ignorance is bliss. :D Before you are aware of what is possible. iBuds are the best thing you've ever heard! haha.

My girlfriend is very much so of this belief. My car stereo which before head-fi sounded awesome (which now to my ears sounds barely tolerable). My girlfriend still loves! And in a few way (mainly wallet) I wish now I could go back also. haha

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #18 of 30
The secret is to hang around the music and miscellaneous forums only.
All the amp and headphone threads are like grenades. Fun to pull the pin on, but deadly, and can blow up in your face. :p

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #19 of 30
Hmm, I agree with your comments, BotByte and kiteki. I think the slippery slope starts once we find that music can be reproduced truer through quality equipment. So now when listening to music, there becomes a new focus; the equipment itself. The initial intention was an honest one, but Head-Fi seems to cultivate an emphasis on the 2nd aspect of music that most people normally pay no attention to. If that point gets lost, music becomes merely a schematic to be technically monitored through these devices. It doesn't make sense, but then it does. When was the last time your headphones or source disappeared? When I recall myself listening to consumer-grade headphones and sources in the past, to me, at that time, there was no equipment. There was only music. This is not the case for me anymore, but all our degrees will vary.

With that said, I think TheWuss has our cure right there^
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #21 of 30
In the words of the immortal Russ Salzberg: 

Farewell, so-long, sayonara. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #22 of 30
Haha, a bit of a bad advice (but not so much), aim for something a little too expensive for yourself, considering your previous buys, I'd say a Dynalo amp (say the HA-006+ @$300) and a pair of HD650/Denon D2000/ATH D1000, or whatever headphone suits you tastes.

Anything that would make you conclude that you have some reference level gear and that only a substantial investment would bring enough improvement, because the next investment would either the LCD-2, or the HD800, or at least something in the same price range.

Sep 15, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #23 of 30
Hey, I don't think I'm ever going to go that high. I'm really not an audiophile, not a 100% sound quality guy.

My next goal would be for a Grado woody but I'm giving myself half a year for this goal, we'll see if I change my mind by then. 

I'm really into the Grado's wood looks and woodying my Grados would make them feel personal, even if they're just slip-on

cups.

Quote:
Haha, a bit of a bad advice (but not so much), aim for something a little too expensive for yourself, considering your previous buys, I'd say a Dynalo amp (say the HA-006+ @$300) and a pair of HD650/Denon D2000/ATH D1000, or whatever headphone suits you tastes.

Anything that would make you conclude that you have some reference level gear and that only a substantial investment would bring enough improvement, because the next investment would either the LCD-2, or the HD800, or at least something in the same price range.

D-3 day

Sep 16, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:
How to stop spending money on audio equipment?

My advice to you is that you should try to be content with what you currently have.

Yeah, I know, I seem dumb saying that. "TRY to be content"? But really, give it a shot. This addiction is too much for our wallets to handle.

I actually bought a can a week ago, and the next day after buying it I wanted to upgrade. I wanted more of such & such out of the phones, and I knew that with hi-fi music & the continual release of new headphones, that the cycle wouldn't end. I'd be paying exponentially more for what many would consider trivial in differences.

Why should I be paying so much money for upgrades? If it's all for the music, then I'd go back to pre-Head-fi days where I'd simply be appreciative of what music I was hearing, and not now where I'm so nitpicky with what's being played. I mean, after we began lurking these forums, we begin to think, "Oh these phones are better than mine!" & then we get into a "better is better" mentality. But is better really better? It feels like capitalism is working our ears & wallets. Better is not better for our psychological selves. We'll never find happiness if we never take the time to appreciate what we have.

Read this thread made by Currawong: http://www.head-fi.org/t/546165/is-constant-tweaking-worth-it-or-are-we-forgetting-to-just-enjoy-the-music

So really, my "advice" extends from "being content with what you have" to "appreciate what you have". Because (to be cliche), it's all about the music.

I wish you luck on your journey away from Head-Fi. Why the countdown, though?

This feels like I'm writing a report on eastern philosophy.
blink.gif

Sep 16, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #25 of 30
I used this place to stay away from the other forums i was addicted to............and now i'm here all the time, i just replaced crack with heroin.............take me with you koolkat!!

Sep 16, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #26 of 30
I'm just a high school student, so money comes little and far between, much is saved, for future squandering on living costs of uni-life in years soon to come, and that that isn't, is invested in things I will enjoy, because thats what it is, sanity money, to purchase things to keep me calm, and draw my mind away from life for a bit.
I do this in 2 ways, with music, and with badminton.
badminton is a sport I can play well, so I can just forget everything, and push myself to do better than before, but without having to worry about the result  (make sense?)
this does have a price, rackets, shuttles, shoes, strings, grips etc, but thats not that bad.
the bad aspect comes into music, both listening and playing (guitar)
guitars, amps etc don't come cheap.
nor do Cds, they cost alot, more than I should really be spending.

But at the end of the day, I only get one life, theres no point hoarding money, its there to use, things that keep me sane/relaxed are very important, I enjoy them, so its justified.
But I do have to constantly take a step back and think about the consumer nation we're all a part of.
this is not something I'm going to fight as such, I'm not here to change the world, I just want to enjoy it.
but it makes sense, to as the Op is doing, find what they really want, and then ignore everything until you get that. then sit happy.
buy things that will stand the test of time, don't buy into fads, and avoid consumerism.

Thats my view, only thing stopping me dropping a bomb on my wallet and purchasing obscenely expensive gear.

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #27 of 30
I've left before... at least 3 different times.

You'll look back at this thread in a few years and LAUGH.

Sep 17, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #29 of 30
Huh? How does that work? Did he ask to get banned? lol

Sep 17, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #30 of 30
We do not publicly discuss bans here. Further, we will not discuss the reasons someone was banned. They are a private matter between Head-Fi's Staff and the individual.

Please refer to the TOS and Moderation FAQ in the Wiki for more information.

You are also welcome to PM me or other Staff if you have questions. No we will not tell you in PM what happened to a specific member.

This thread has run its course, so I am closing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back