BY REQUEST: Best sounding HP jacks on integrateds/receivers.
Aug 23, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #31 of 84
What model Marantz receiver is that? Part of the purpose of this thread is to identify specific models as having good-sounding HP jacks.

Incidentally, there are so many things being blown out of the water in this thread I'm reminded of that old movie, "Sink the Bismark."
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #32 of 84
NAD c352 has a warm, kinda tubey sound to it. I likeitalot.

Aug 23, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #33 of 84
I acquired all of my cans in Korea and returned back here in Manila. I had the opportunity to hook my MS2i to my Rotel RC-1070 preamp. The result I regret acquiring my HP100. The Rotel drives my MS2i with ease on the 9 o'clock. It just sounds good to me and very clean with full bodied sound.

Aug 23, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #34 of 84
I have a Pioneer Elite vsx53tx receiver great speaker unit but bad headphone out.With my Senn 600 and Grado sr80s the sound is detailed but thin and bright.Thats why I'm on the hunt for a great little SS amp.
biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2008 at 11:40 AM Post #36 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by basman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I acquired all of my cans in Korea and returned back here in Manila. I had the opportunity to hook my MS2i to my Rotel RC-1070 preamp. The result I regret acquiring my HP100. The Rotel drives my MS2i with ease on the 9 o'clock. It just sounds good to me and very clean with full bodied sound.

Just checked out a couple of reviews on the Stello HP100 as I'd never heard of it before. It's quite an ambition design--toroidal transformer, the lot--and gets great reviews, so your preference for the Rotel is significant. Of course this doesn't mean that the Rotel is "better", but rather that to some listeners under some circumstances it can seem preferable, so the two must be quite close.

Having just received the "Supplier" power supply for my Cute Beyond, I did quite a full comparison with my Marantz PM6010 (using Senn HD650). Result: I'd be hard put to claim a winner, but I think if I had to choose it'd probably be the Marantz. I'm a bit disappointed, as I was hoping to justify the $120 US I paid for the Supplier. It's a good combination, especially for $300, but less convenient than the Marantz (as I would still need a switching device) and sounds no better. Still, it does save electricity, so I'll probably be using it more often. Luckily the Marantz doesn't use input relay switching, which means it can be used as a switching device whilst turned off--even the tape monitor. There's something to remember when choosing an integrated for use with a separate HP amp, boys and girls: choose one with purely mechanical switching so you don't need to have it on to use the input selector etc. Don't say I never taught you anything.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2008 at 11:44 AM Post #37 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My vote goes to the Marantz PM7001. I recently sold it, but almost kept it just for the good headphone amp.

i'm using this one at the moment (KI version), it's pretty decent. did you have the pm7001 at the same time as the gs solo in your sig? if so, how do they compare? thanks

Aug 23, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #38 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm using this one at the moment (KI version), it's pretty decent. did you have the pm7001 at the same time as the gs solo in your sig? if so, how do they compare? thanks

Yes I did. The PM7001 is definitely a bit on the warm side and less detailed overall than the Solo. The Solo is about as perfect a headphone amp as I have heard. I thought the PM7001 worked really well with K701's, contrary to the popular belief that you need serious ampage to enjoy K701's.

Aug 23, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #39 of 84
i think that's what i'm hearing too. it sounds great with my k271s, also good with the hd650 but a bit warm. the duet i use i'd say is about the same quality,
it's a bit brighter, but seems to lack some dynamics, probably due to the software volume control.
with the pm7001 i mostly listen a bit to loud for my taste, even at only 8 o'clock during daytime. but putting the volume even lower (7) totally screws the balance.

time to do some real auditioning with the solo / black cube i found in a local store, and save some money
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 25, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #40 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What model Marantz receiver is that? Part of the purpose of this thread is to identify specific models as having good-sounding HP jacks.

Incidentally, there are so many things being blown out of the water in this thread I'm reminded of that old movie, "Sink the Bismark."
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry for the late reply: SR880mkII.

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #42 of 84
Quote:

It'd be useful if posters could say what dedicated amps they've heard or own, if any. Puts your comments in some perspective and gives you more credibility.

I heard or owned the following
VHP 1 plus PS
Audiophile
PAV2
Bada12
DAC1 through headphone out & balanced
HR2
GS1
& a few more I can't remember..

I now use a Yamaha V1800 receiver.. & it synergizes very well with my Sony SA5000.. The 3 amps I really preferred over the V1800 would be in this order: Bada12/GS1/VHP1 plus PS..
popcorn.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #44 of 84
Quote:

Why?

Bada had better timbre, bass & imaging.. Was warm, lush & sweet.
The GS1 was more neutral With better detail, seperation & air around the instruments..
The VHP 1 with PS.. Better Dynamics, bass was full & well defined..Butter smooth, with a hint of vinyl sweetness.. No digital grunge at all..

The V1800 is a bit harsh & fatiging IMO, with a hint of grain.. & too much smearing, & the air around the instruments sound deflated.. But Pur digital fixes the harshness & fatigue factor. With digital music I'd give it a 7..Movies.6-9. Gaming 6-9.

Dec 5, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #45 of 84
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunseeker888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1964 Fisher 500-c receiver. Unreal headphone out (they came with left and right reversed as shipped though)

I'm so glad I read this.

Until now I was worried something was miswired in my stock Fisher 500-C.
Why on earth would they ship them with right/left reversed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back