Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 14, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #4,396 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
gelocks, have you tried the RE-400 yet?

Do you know if it's at least a bit similar to the list I posted? Based on the reviews I think it COULD sound like the modded T50RPs (Mad Dogs or Paradox...). If that's the case, I would try them out.

Yeah, that's actually the reason why I asked.  I love Mad Dogs, and in many ways the RE-400 kinda does what they do.  I'd say it's reminiscent of something halfway between a MD w/Dog Pads and an MD w/Alpha Pads.

May 14, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #4,397 of 5,364
Quote:

Yeah, that's actually the reason why I asked.  I love Mad Dogs, and in many ways the RE-400 kinda does what they do.  I'd say it's reminiscent of something halfway between a MD w/Dog Pads and an MD w/Alpha Pads.

I actually have these on my Amazon cart since a few days ago! LOL I was also looking into:

Rock-It Sounds R-50
JVC HA-FXD80
VSonic GR07 MK2 Pro

But I don't know if any of them sound similar to my full-sized faves so... I guess I'll just go with the HiFiMan and see what's up...

Thanks warrenpchi!

May 14, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #4,398 of 5,364
Hi Guys

I've had a pair of Hippo VB for a long time now and still highly regard them for their bass thump, which I always have the bassiest plate set.

I do however want to try the next level of IEM, hoping I can retain the bass of my Hippo VB but enhance clarity across the spectrum?

Can you guys help?

Budget: Approx £200
DAP: Sansa Clip+
Source: 320 bitrate MP3
Genre: Techno / house

I've read a little on the Sennheiser IE80 on this site but cannot find a direct comparison with the Hippo VB. Likewise, Monster Turbines and I think Atrios? All appear to be worthy - but I await everyones input.

I'm cautious of spending £200 and being disappointed when comparing to my beloved Hippo....so theres always the option of keeping them and not 'upgrading'
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #4,399 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
IndieHippo said:

Hello forum!
Im thinking of getting a new UIEM in the range of $400-500. I mainly listen to indie songs and occasionally rock and high bass songs.
I look for detail,isolation,instrument separation and most importantly how neutral it is.
I have been looking all over the internet and have narrowed my choices to:
  1. Westone 4R
  2. Westone UM3x
  3. Ue900
  4. SE535
  5. Heir 4.Ai

If there's anything else i should try out please let me know :D. Thank you so much in advance for the advice :).

Out of the lot, immediately the W4R or the UM3X can be singled out as being not particularly "neutral". Both are lush and forward in the mids, the W4s have an especially prominent bump in the midbass. The smaller nozzles on the Westones also lead to less isolation in general, at least when compared to the other choices. Separation is amazingly prominent within the role of the UM3X's presentation, and it is linear-ish for the most part though, so would still keep that in the running - the W4s - less so unless you're willing to add some extra resistance with an impedance adapter - brings the treble up for a tad bit more balance. 

The SE535s are a tad mid forward and rather linear, at least in the bass. But the lack of treble and basically a lack of attack during leading note transients give it a lesser sense of dynamics and technicalities - i.e. the separation and other technical qualities aren't as apparent off the bat.

No comment on the 4.Ai as the length of auditioning time was less than ideal, also I didn't care much for it as the UE900s were just next to it and it was much more attention-grabbing.

The UE900s - detailing is very evident (natural detailing and microdetail is around the same for the 5, but the 900s push out a bit more due to the clearer presentation - which also aids in separation and other technical aspects). Isolation is slightly better than the rest (apart from maybe the Shures) for me due to the nozzle size, although your results might differ. VERY linear, a slight dip in the upper mids, subbass has a slight bump (it smooths out and is basically flat to these ears - much like the HE-400 experience) and the treble has a tad bit of sparkle but remains smooth as well. Although the note presentation emphasizes clarity without being edgy or abrasive. Subjectively I also like these better for the genres you listed, but that would also vary from person to person.

I think you can guess by now which one I'm voting for 
wink.gif

I'm also looking for new IEMs in this price range. I have been looking at the W4R, UE900s, and SE535s, but I am open to suggestions. My wife recently permanently "borrowed" my SE215's, so it gave me an excuse to upgrade my portable headphones. I listen to almost every genre, but more commonly my listening will focus on country, pop, rock, alternative, and acoustic renditions. I am looking for isolation, instrument separation and definition, and I would like to hear the bass and not be disappointed, but not overwhelmed at the same time. Would you also recommend the UE900s in this case? Or something else?

May 14, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #4,400 of 5,364
Quote:
The cord on my old sennheiser PMX 200s broke and my attempt at repair resulted in unbearable sound quality.  This is what I'm ideally looking for in new headphones:

- Ideal for exercise and outside work.  The less I have to worry about them, the better.
- Behind-the-neck design.  I'm skeptical of in-ear types because my experience with those is that they always get yanked out--especially when I'm working (I'm out of the office now, so I'm talking outside, manual labor), but I'm open to "work-arounds" for this issue (not so sure that a simple clip will solve the problem).
- Closed-construction
- Wired and No batteries
- Some way to block out disruption caused by the wind

I'm only looking for decent sound, so I'm not interested in anything ultra pricey (I'd like to keep it below $100).  And I'm not sure if this info is helpful, but I mostly just listen to audiobooks and deep house.

asdfffdsa, for the kind of extreme isolation and durability you seem to want, I would highly advise increasing the budget a little bit.  I would also advise that you get a full-sized, circumaural (around-the-ear) model at all?  I ask because the more portable you go (except for IEMs) the more you're going to lose in isolation and durability.

Assuming you are willing to go with a full-sized circumaural - and remaining relatively close to your price range - I would advise you to get a V-Moda Crossfade LP.  It's got rock-solid build and durability, and more than enough bass for your deep house enjoyment.  It'll run you just over $100 ($107 on Amazon at this moment).  It's not exactly the most balanced sounding pair of headphones as it's rather bass heavy, but given the other requirements, I'm afraid we don't have too many choices here.

If you're willing to look into IEMs, I'd suggest the Dunu DN-19 Tai Chi.  Likewise, it has great build and super tough cabling.  It also comes with some of the best ear hook attachments I've ever used (top notch in both comfort and security).  It has a far more balanced signature than the Crossfade LP above, and is also tunable so you can adjust how much bass you want.  I believe it's currently floating around the $130 mark on Amazon right now.

Between the two, I would easily take the Dunu DN-19 Tai Chi hands down.  I know you're skeptical of IEMs, but honestly those ear hooks make a world of difference.

Quote:
Hello all!
I'm looking at getting a custom IEM for primarily classical, jazz, folk, and alternative. I prefere a neutral signature, but don't mind a warmer sound-signature if it doesn't compromise detail. My budget is in the $600 range and I can't afford to step up to the $900ish area. I'm currently looking at the 1964 Ear's V-6 and the UM Mage. I would love a recommendation between them or something else in the same price range. I'll be driving the CIEM's from a Hifiman 601.
Many thanks for any help and advice.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm afraid I've never used a CIEM, but I'm in the same boat as you as I am also considering getting one.  Might I suggest you take a look at http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/totl-madness-24-top-line-custom-ear-monitors-reviewed?  It was pretty helpful to me in choosing the one I want.

Quote:
Help choosing the right fullsize and IEM for me
the source will be either govibe magnum or the ak100
I am searching for the fullsize and iem equivalent of the DT1350 (this thing paired really well with the ak100 for some odd reason)
budget price is well how about we start 450 bucks on each ? Budget is pretty flexible

I don't think I want anything neutral or flat , as I generally hate the sound of the headphone described as so previously
so any help?

Hmm, that's tough.

Let's start with the one I more sure of... the IEM.  I would say that the UE700 is what you're looking for.  I can't say that it's exactly the same as the DT1350, but I think it's close enough of a match that you won't find it jarring when shifting from one to the other.  It's under $200 right now, so bonus.

As for the full-size, that's much harder for me to say.  I wanna say maybe *maybe* either the T50p or T70p.  But seriously, don't hold me to either of those as I heard them under less than ideal conditions at a trade show. 

May 14, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #4,401 of 5,364
Quote:

Yeah the UE900 are too expensive for my intended use.

I'm willing to sacrifice some in the audio quality region. The main thing that I'm looking for is good isolation, good comfort for my (right) ear and build quality. The key requirement is that it has to be able to fit my right-ear, otherwise I can erase that option.

You mentioned that the Ety's are going to be a cinch and that I should better be safe than sorry. I quite didn't get this part, could you please be more elaborate in terms of comfort?. Sound wise, I've already looked on those in which fields I'll have to sacrifice. Most important thing for my choice for an IEM is comfort for my ear-type.

Could you please also list some recommendations on IEM's that have a small housing? I'd very much appreciate it.

I don't remember if I've mentioned it before, but the UE700 has a VERY SMALL housing.  I would suggest taking a look at that.  And in case you're curious, the sound signature is a little on the bright side.

Quote:
I'm looking to buy a new set of in-ear headphones after my last purchase of the XE200 pro which just now broke (and I also hated the J-cord) and the other pair from Xears TM4 which broke very early on.

I've been looking at 3 in particular and wonder if I can get anyone's advice on them or other possibilities in the $50 range:

VSonic VC02
Astrotec AM-800
Astrotec AM-900.

Sorry, no idea. 
redface.gif
  If you fill me in on the sound signature you want, I might be able to help, but I haven't heard any of the ones you mentioned above.

Quote:
Type of music / songs I listened :
Fully instrumental, chanting, environmental, ambient
Genre of music / songs :
Post-Rock, soft, tranquil, eerie, nature, a tiny bit of rock and pop
Sample of music :
Stella by Kashiwa Daisuke
Kioku from Yosuga no Sora anime OST
Hope of Dawn from .hack//G.U. OST

Personally, I did a little "research" and I have Xba 40 in mind. So...is it alright to upgrade to that version with all of the information I provided or there's other alternatives which could be considered within the same price range?

Thanks!

Likewise, I've not much of an idea here as I've never heard the XBA-1 or XBA-40. 
redface.gif
  However, from what I am familiar with, I'd suggest the Grado GR8.  Very detailed, pretty smooth, and surprisingly it has just enough bass that you won't think it anemic.  I think the price range should be similar to the XBA-40 if not cheaper.

Quote:
I've had a pair of Hippo VB for a long time now and still highly regard them for their bass thump, which I always have the bassiest plate set.

I do however want to try the next level of IEM, hoping I can retain the bass of my Hippo VB but enhance clarity across the spectrum?

I'm cautious of spending £200 and being disappointed when comparing to my beloved Hippo....so theres always the option of keeping them and not 'upgrading'
smily_headphones1.gif

As I've never heard the Hippo VB, I'm afraid I'm completely useless here.  Sorry. 
frown.gif

Quote:
I'm also looking for new IEMs in this price range. I have been looking at the W4R, UE900s, and SE535s, but I am open to suggestions. My wife recently permanently "borrowed" my SE215's, so it gave me an excuse to upgrade my portable headphones. I listen to almost every genre, but more commonly my listening will focus on country, pop, rock, alternative, and acoustic renditions. I am looking for isolation, instrument separation and definition, and I would like to hear the bass and not be disappointed, but not overwhelmed at the same time. Would you also recommend the UE900s in this case? Or something else?

Hey joseph, TwinQY is on a well-deserved vacation.  While I haven't heard any of the IEMs above, my understanding is that TwinQY repeatedly suggests the UE900 as he believes it to be an excellent all-rounder.  I also believe that he'd praise it's detail and separation.  Beyond that, I'm not much help.  Maybe PM him if it's urgent and you're in a rush?

May 14, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #4,402 of 5,364
Hi, this is my first post here, and after lurking around for some time, would like to seek some opinions :D well I listen to a wide range of music, rock, metal, kpop, ballads; etc. I am also interested in doing some monitoring/mixing/dj-ing. So I did some researched and discovered these iems, um3x, um2 & the earsonics sm3v2. What would be a good recommendation? I do not use an amp currently btw, but may consider getting one XD I tried searching around but find nothing much on the earsonics's comparisons with the westones :/ if there are other recommendations, I am all for ears! (bad pun) My budget is ard 600 SGD. Or should I look at headphones with this budget? Many thanks! (I like the fit of the westones & shures shells, but open to other types too)

May 14, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #4,403 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey everyone, I made an account just to post this, I'm sorry if I sound inexperienced, but i'm really a noob to all of this. In the past I have owned the meelec m9s the meelec r1s, and I currently have the meelec m6s. I use the m6s for working out and wanted to buy 2 other pairs for better sound quality. I'm thinking of one pair for home use (Audio Technica ATH-m50s) and another pair for portable use on the go or on the bus, etc. The m6s are great but I think I can get better sound quality. Since i'm planning on getting the m50s, my budget is about $50 street price, so like 100 retail. I was thinking of the meelectronics a151 as I heard they have armature, but i'm not sure because I heard that they lack in bass. By the way I listen to mostly techno music, but also enjoy all other types of music. So I don't know if I should go with the a151s because they only have a single armature driver, or if I should go with some other ones. I would really like earbud because i need them to be portable, and somewhat durable, although I never plan to run with them. Please send me recommendations as I have practically 0 experience with these types of headphones. I am open to any headphones, and if it's really worth it, I could save up more money and go with some up to 75 street price. So should I get the a151s, even though they don't have that much bass, or should I go with some nice bassy headphones, if so, what headphones would yall recommend that have some nice bass? Thanks in advance.

Would it be correct to assume the M50s as being a reference point, at least in terms of bass quantity? Would it also be correct to assume you would want a similar bass presentation, in terms of note thickness, placement, etc? Or would you just be referring to "good bass" in general. And would there be any other criteria regarding the rest of the sound spectrum - do you want decent mids, what sort of overall signature, any preferences in terms of soundstaging or presentation?

But in this case you definitely needn't restrict yourself to one brand if it's not justified. 

Quote:
I also made this account to ask for opinion same as the user above me but my problem is should I get Meelectronics A151, Sony XBA1 or Feels Pro 900. Currently somebody is offering them for almost the same price. I listen to pop songs and occasionally dabble in dupstep, do not use amp. 

All help is appreciated, Thanks

Again, while genres are helpful, it'd also be helpful if you specified your preferences as I mentioned in the reply to the quote above yours.

Quote:
Yeah the UE900 are too expencive for my intended use.

I'm willing to sacrifice some in the audio quality region. The main thing that I'm looking for is good isolation, good comfort for my (right) ear and build quality. The key requirement is that it has to be able to fit my right-ear, otherwise I can erase that option.

You mentioned that the Ety's are going to be a cinch and that I should better be safe than sorry. I quite didn't get this part, could you please be more eleborate in terms of comfor?. Sound wise, I've already looked on those in which fields I'll have to sacrifice. Most important thing for my choice for an IEM is comfort for my ear-type.

Could you please also list some recommendations on IEM's that have a small housing? I'd very much appreciate it.

I'm definitely referring to practicality aspects when saying that they would be a "cinch". The shape and the ergonomics (straight body, never having to touch the concha or otherwise), not to mention the durability and isolation (as I did mention prior) just makes sense in your case. 

Small housing - depends on how you would define that. Not to mention, something can have a small housing but can ultimately still irritate the problem area in this case. Still, the PFE012 would be one to look at in the end. Relatively flat body, small, similar sig to the Etys. Though it is shallow insertion so you won't get immense amounts of isolation. The A161P and the GR01s are fairly straight, small, and unobtrusive with regards to that problem area.

Quote:
My budget ~ 250-270$

headphones

Place of Buying: online , can buy product from other country websites like amazon

Music preference: pop rock,rock, r&b, hip hop, dance, electro (sometimes) ,
i dont have much knowledge about music genre

i prefer artists like: david guetta, maroon 5 , usher,Justin timberlake,  enrique, pitbull, chris brown, bruno mars, rihanna

This will my first major purchase in music instruements

for source i will be buying a new DAP or PMP (BUDGET FOR PMP/ DAP: havent decided but around 350$ i guess)

i  am open to using Amp

i dont have trained years :p

i like bass but bass should not overshadow / overpower vocals or other sounds, bass should be present and punchy but it should not be fatiguing ,i am not a bass head

i am not a pro so  please use noob language while explaining to me

Non-overpowering but present bass, punchy, non-fatiguing. 

Would you have any criteria in terms of fit? You also haven't mentioned whether or not you're looking for on-ear or over-ear (if it matters) headphones. But you did specify headphones so I'll assume that IEMs (earphones, in-ear monitors) are out of the equation.

Quote:
Thanks for the help. Couldn't find that heretics thread, but I'll look more later.  I feel bad taking up this thread lol!  But there's so much to learn.

So regarding that FR chart.  I see that there's some gain in the lower frequencies and it's a bit lower from 1kHz to ~8kHz.  Is this where that "sibilance" comes into play or is it lower from 1 kHz to 5kHz?  I'm not even sure if it's what you'd call sibilance.  It's just those really piercing highs that bug my head. The spike @ ~9kHz seems like it'd make the sound very bright?

Also:  Is there a better thread to be asking this stuff.  I feel like I'm REALLLLYYYY off topic.

1kHz-4 would be the mid-midrange (if you could call it such), but the usual area where most of the energy is contained would be the upper mids - 4-7kHz. 7-8kHz is the sibliance area - any emphasis around there would accentuate the "ssh" sounds, and generally causes fatiguing. There are also ear resonances around that area but won't get into that.

If it isn't accentuating the "sssh" sound it's probably only a treble peak. 9kHz is iffy but generally perceived as lower treble.

Quote:
Based on what you said, I would have to go with the V-Moda M-100.  My second and third choices would involve you getting a good deal so as to meet your budget... and they would be the Sennheiser Momentum and Sennheiser Amperior, respectively.  Also, TwinQY should be in here any moment now to tell you all about the UE6000 (which I have not heard, but is reputed to be very good for your needs).  

It's (the UEs that is) rather balanced and warmed over (in a good way). More along the lines of the Momentum but more bite and less darkness within the presentation.

Quote:
Hi folks, 
my desktop setup is Bifrost -> Lyr -> HE500 
I like this setup for most applications but sometimes I need isolation. I was wondering if there are any high impedance low sensitivity IEMs around for me to use with the Lyr. 

I own Westone4 and Shure SE535, but they are both too sensitive and there is a lot of noise floor when attached to Lyr. 

please let me know

As mentioned by Warren., add some resistance with an impedance adapter or otherwise. The W4 Appreciation thread goes into enough detail in regards to this. 

With 120Ohm loaded I can usually run the W4 off my bedside speaker taps (a great deal more powerful and noisy than the Lyr) no problem. Absolutely pitch black background.

Quote:
The cord on my old sennheiser PMX 200s broke and my attempt at repair resulted in unbearable sound quality.  This is what I'm ideally looking for in new headphones:

- Ideal for exercise and outside work.  The less I have to worry about them, the better.
- Behind-the-neck design.  I'm skeptical of in-ear types because my experience with those is that they always get yanked out--especially when I'm working (I'm out of the office now, so I'm talking outside, manual labor), but I'm open to "work-arounds" for this issue (not so sure that a simple clip will solve the problem).
- Closed-construction
- Wired and No batteries
- Some way to block out disruption caused by the wind

I'm only looking for decent sound, so I'm not interested in anything ultra pricey (I'd like to keep it below $100).  And I'm not sure if this info is helpful, but I mostly just listen to audiobooks and
deep house.

Usually people don't go for this, which is quite odd, but IEMs are really supposed to be worn behind the neck and over the ears - they see it done on stage and yet no one follows suit. I can tell you that when I used to perform, and someone worn their monitors straight down....oh boy. It's also fairly practical for everyday usage - more of a habitual thing for me nowadays. Also, don't forget to pull up the cable cinch to the back of your neck. Usually when you have a deep enough seal there'd be little chances of them actually getting pulled out without quite a bit of effort. Not to mention they destroy most non-in-ears in terms of isolation by a fair bit.

Now that I've (hopefully) sold you on IEMs (it's fine if we haven't though) - will have to mention that, while genres are helpful, it'd probably be easier for us to specify something if you go into a bit more detail regarding sound preferences, signature preferences, any particular set of characteristics you would take priority in hearing while listening to said genres. It isn't really that hard to find decent sound so why not to go the extra mile.

Quote:
I'm looking to buy a new set of in-ear headphones after my last purchase of the XE200 pro which just now broke (and I also hated the J-cord) and the other pair from Xears TM4 which broke very early on.

I've been looking at 3 in particular and wonder if I can get anyone's advice on them or other possibilities in the $50 range:

VSonic VC02
Astrotec AM-800
Astrotec AM-900.

Not having heard the Astrotec, but anything you might want to specify in terms of fit or sound? Preferences in terms of signature, or any particular characteristics you might take priority in hearing while listening to music, would be immensely helpful for us as it does help narrow alternatives down much easier.

Quote:
Hello everyone! I'm pretty new to this field and hold little to none experiences or knowledge.

Well, for now, I'm using a 1 to 2 years old xba 1 and wish to have an upgrade over it since it's cord is barely connected (thanks to my playful cat, but it still manage to provide full sound experience for few months and still doing fine.) and overally my ears started to become more and more picky. I love xba 1, but I think it's time for it to have a rest.

Here is some information that I could provide. I ain't sure which of them are useful or not but, I'll just try.

Music player :
Android phone (Sony Xperia Miro) with ttpod music player apps
Type of music / songs I listened :
Fully instrumental, chanting, environmental, ambient
Genre of music / songs :
Post-Rock, soft, tranquil, eerie, nature, a tiny bit of rock and pop
Sample of music :
Stella by Kashiwa Daisuke
Kioku from Yosuga no Sora anime OST
Hope of Dawn from .hack//G.U. OST

Personally, I did a little "research" and I have Xba 40 in mind. So...is it alright to upgrade to that version with all of the information I provided or there's other alternatives which could be considered within the same price range?

Thanks!

As mentioned from the reply for the quote above yours, while genres are helpful, ultimately we value different presentations of said genres - 
Preferences in terms of signature, or any particular characteristics you might take priority in hearing while listening to music, would be immensely helpful for us as it does help narrow alternatives down much easier

Quote:
Well, there's the S400 (haven't heard it BTW) that can ship immediately and save you a few bucks.  Of course, there's always the K81DJ/K518LE option from before (just remember that it's not for large heads).  Any last minute suggestions TwinQY?

I got nothing - if it ain't the LEs or the Q460 (both of which I love and think are pretty much perfect for his usage), maybe the Downtowns. Otherwise...

Quote:
Hi Guys

Can you guys help?

Budget: Approx £200
DAP: Sansa Clip+
Source: 320 bitrate MP3
Genre: Techno / house

I've read a little on the Sennheiser IE80 on this site but cannot find a direct comparison with the Hippo VB. Likewise, Monster Turbines and I think Atrios? All appear to be worthy - but I await everyones input.

smily_headphones1.gif

Still gotta stick with my original reply on the original thread - 

The IE80s can get similarly bassy to the VBs - although I wasn't actually aware of people going on up to the max bass plates, kudos - but the presentation is more like the Hippos in that there's more of a focus on body and warmth, so clarity isn't exactly emphasized further. They are more proficient so in the long run you are going to get a tad bit more clarity. Though I would look more towards the Atrios if you do want an extra push in terms of perceived clarity, out of the lot.

Quote:

Quote:
Hey joseph, TwinQY is on a well-deserved vacation.  While I haven't heard any of the IEMs above, my understanding is that TwinQY repeatedly suggests the UE900 as he believes it to be an excellent all-rounder.  I also believe that he'd praise it's detail and separation.  Beyond that, I'm not much help.  Maybe PM him if it's urgent and you're in a rush?

Yes I was, sorry about that. Definitely if those are being prioritized the UE900s would win out due to the more clear-cut presentation - if only notes weren't so rounded and slow(er) on the latter two I'd recommend them more, as this question comes up quite often and a lot of the criteria gets to be very similar in the end. Bass isn't that emphasized relatively, in fact it's downright linear when the pinhole fills. 

Hi, this is my first post here, and after lurking around for some time, would like to seek some opinions :D well I listen to a wide range of music, rock, metal, kpop, ballads; etc. I am also interested in doing some monitoring/mixing/dj-ing. So I did some researched and discovered these iems, um3x, um2 & the earsonics sm3v2. What would be a good recommendation? I do not use an amp currently btw, but may consider getting one XD I tried searching around but find nothing much on the earsonics's comparisons with the westones :/ if there are other recommendations, I am all for ears! (bad pun) My budget is ard 600 SGD. Or should I look at headphones with this budget? Many thanks! (I like the fit of the westones & shures shells, but open to other types too)

As mentioned from several of the reply for the quote above yours, while genres are helpful, ultimately we value different presentations of said genres - 
Preferences in terms of signature, or any particular characteristics you might take priority in hearing while listening to music, would be immensely helpful for us as it does help narrow alternatives down much easier

You also needn't restrict yourself to the old-guard choices of Westone and Earsonic just because they've been targetting/pigeonholed into the role of "monitoring". It really depends on what you prioritize while doing said mixes. Usually I EQ anything I monitor with like crazy so it depends on what you need these to do.

May 15, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #4,404 of 5,364
Likewise, I've not much of an idea here as I've never heard the XBA-1 or XBA-40.  :xf_eek:   However, from what I am familiar with, I'd suggest the Grado GR8.  Very detailed, pretty smooth, and surprisingly it has just enough bass that you won't think it anemic.  I think the price range should be similar to the XBA-40 if not cheaper.

The ortofon eq5 and gr8/gr10 are very similar as they share the same driver, the difference mostly being price, fit and minor tuning differences. If you are considering the gr8 and don't have particularly small ears I reckon you'd be better off with the eq5.

Having said that, they are very different from the xba-40. The eq5/gr8 is more or less balanced, though slightly warm in the mids, whereas the xba-40 is pretty v-shaped, which means high levels of bass and treble. The xba-40 is also rather picky on source, though the eq5 may also hiss when paired with a low quality amp. The xba-1, in contrast, rolls off on sub bass and treble, so would be rather different.

Are you looking for the same kind of sound, but 'better', or for something different, and of course 'better', compared the xba-1?

Edit: forgot to add that the xba-30 would be a more natural upgrade to the xba-1. Also less source dependent and as an added bonus cheaper than the options listed above as well!

May 15, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #4,405 of 5,364
Quote:

Hmm, that's tough.

Let's start with the one I more sure of... the IEM.  I would say that the UE700 is what you're looking for.  I can't say that it's exactly the same as the DT1350, but I think it's close enough of a match that you won't find it jarring when shifting from one to the other.  It's under $200 right now, so bonus.

As for the full-size, that's much harder for me to say.  I wanna say maybe *maybe* either the T50p or T70p.  But seriously, don't hold me to either of those as I heard them under less than ideal conditions at a trade show. 

thanks warren , what do you say about the comparison of triple fi 10 and the ue700? are they different? or are they similliar enough to be compared to each other? assume that I can get a correct fit with the TF10

once again thanks

May 15, 2013 at 2:23 AM Post #4,406 of 5,364
I am confused on buying an iem for budget of less than $400,

Criteria:
Sub-bass is my main concern,
lows should rumble , when the track calls for it. Something like a tad more than mh1c
lower mids - No bass bloat or bleed over other spectrum. 
MIds - should be crystal clear in vocals, and sparkly.
Highs - Sibilant free, treble shouldn't roll off and go to the highest extension and sparkle out.

Sub-bass of more than mh1c,
vocals of vsonic gr07,with timbre
treble of head-direct re0.
Very wide and spacious soundstage, With 3D feel to it. Very good instrument separation .

I mainly listen to stereo effects rather than songs, 
More of classic songs, from mozart, beethoven, Chris Isaak...

5.1 ch surround sound in an iem, would be awesome.

May 15, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #4,407 of 5,364

Criteria:
lows should rumble , when the track calls for it. Something like a tad more than mh1c
Highs - Sibilant free, treble shouldn't roll off and go to the highest extension and sparkle out.

Very wide and spacious soundstage, With 3D feel to it. Very good instrument separation .

What you're essentially describing is the perfect IEM.. no clue, but interested to hear the suggestions as it is pretty much what I would want for < 400 USD.. :wink:

May 15, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #4,408 of 5,364
Finished previous set of replies (in case people saw I left it empty and assumed I didn't answer) - post #4405

Quote:

Criteria:

Sadly, while the UE900s fit everything FR-wise, separation-wise, budget-wise, and especially the part where clear vocals, sparkle and extension was mentioned, it likely will not replicate the visceral rumble (the subbass is emphasized like the MH1C), nor the spacious staging.

The EX1000/7550 fit more along the lines of that particular presentation, on paper it could go either way, the UE or the Sonys, but since timbre, spaciousness is mentioned, I'd be more inclined towards the Sonys.  ESPECIALLY the soundstaging - it very much fits the description. Only problem is that it is sibilant. Of course EQ does wonders, especially if you have the know-how along with a good parametric EQ. The 7550s in particular are slightly less peaky and emphasized so they'd be an easier candidate to fix up. But in terms of the other criteria it'd fit almost all of them to a T. 

May 15, 2013 at 4:47 AM Post #4,409 of 5,364
Hey Guys,

Can someone advise me on what a good step up from meelectronics m9's would be? I really do like, and am happy with the m9's but just want to know what the next step up would be, a few candidates if possible would be great!

May 15, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #4,410 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey Guys,

Can someone advise me on what a good step up from meelectronics m9's would be? I really do like, and am happy with the m9's but just want to know what the next step up would be, a few candidates if possible would be great!

Nothing can really be concretely defined as a "step up". Again, wrought with errors of a semantic nature here. It's really iffy unless you were to solely go by tiering in terms of levels of technical proficiency. Which, again, disregards any preference in terms of signature and the likes.

That being said, I'll go for the bait and ask whether or not you want something with a similar sound signature but better in terms of technicalities, or you just want something better overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back