Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 15, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #4,426 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi guys,
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on some portable headphones. At the moment I have narrowed it down to either the AKG K67 or the Sennheiser HD25-1 II. I wouldn't consider myself a basshead but I do like a decent amount of bass and I'm afraid the HD25's wont deliver this but from what I've heard the HD25's are perfect for me in every other aspect. Can anyone tell me about the bass on the HD25 vs the K67?
Thanks in advance

Hi Tom, welcome to Head-Fi!  Sorry about your wallet. 
frown.gif

Personally, I'd take the HD 25-1-II.  While I happen to be a fan of AKG in general, I must say that I wasn't very impressed with the K67's build quality.  I also prefer the HD 25-1-II's sound signature which I found less bothersome. 

Having said that, my ideal recommendation is for the Sennheiser Amperior.  Not everyone will agree with me that it sounds significantly better, but I found the overall clarity and focus to be noticeably better than the HD 25-1-II.  IMO, it is worth the price difference.

May 15, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #4,427 of 5,364
Hi everyone,

Been lurking for about a year or so. I am looking for a new pair of all-purpose IEMs that I can use for the commute and at the gym. For extended listening I have a pair of JVC HA-S500s with HM5 mods and love it. I recently was using the Sony MH1Cs as my primary IEMs but they recently broke (i.e. i put them in the washing machine :frowning2: whoops).

--Looking for something that sounds similar to the MH1Cs but preferably with more comfortable fit/cable.
--Budget is ~70 USD but I'm fairly flexible
--Tempted to buy the Zero Audio DX210s that have been getting hype in the discovery thread but am flexible here as well
--Preferably gym-wearable

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, and also thanks head-fi for opening up my eyes and ears to the world of headphones beyond apple earbuds.

May 15, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #4,428 of 5,364
Quote:
Nothing can really be concretely defined as a "step up". Again, wrought with errors of a semantic nature here. It's really iffy unless you were to solely go by tiering in terms of levels of technical proficiency. Which, again, disregards any preference in terms of signature and the likes.

That being said, I'll go for the bait and ask whether or not you want something with a similar sound signature but better in terms of technicalities, or you just want something better overall.

a similar sound signature definitely.

May 15, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #4,429 of 5,364
Hello! Thank you for the input and it gives me a lot of information!

Well, all I can say is that I'm grateful to have xba 1, it does provide all I need from what an earphone should give, by my own preference. But I think it's never the worse to have an upgrade.

What I can describe for what I want from this upgrade is that, I think, a better separation of instruments, a wider area of sound fields, more clarity and...darker bass, since I'm more into instrumental, ambient music and more preferably to chanting if it comes to vocal. Or you could simply tag all of my music and songs to tranquil, eerie, dark feeling and, you know, something in the shadow but not under the sun.

I hope you could give more information as that'll help me to make a better decision! And of course, while personal experiences are different with individuals, I'll take the opinions and measure it with my own scale then make an overall decision. I won't blame anyone for that matter, since it's my own decision to pull out my wallet and pay for it

So, please give me more information or other alternatives!

Thanks!

Sounds like you would really like the xba-30 for that matter. I found the following figure that best describes the differences between the xba models:
WD-Sony-XBA-Graphs.jpg

As these graphs give the general idea, the differences with the xba x0-series is negliable. The xba30 on paper would give you a warmer sound with better bass extension, while reviews report its instrument seperation and soundstage are great.

I personally love the eq5, but if you already like the xba-1, the xba-30 seems to be a more natural progression for what you are looking for. Try asking people in the xba30 appreciation thread and good luck!

Also, TwinQY recommends the TDK BA200 a lot for these requirements, but I have no reference unfortunately. May be worth checking out though!

May 15, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #4,430 of 5,364
Quote:

Hi Tom, welcome to Head-Fi!  Sorry about your wallet. 
frown.gif

Personally, I'd take the HD 25-1-II.  While I happen to be a fan of AKG in general, I must say that I wasn't very impressed with the K67's build quality.  I also prefer the HD 25-1-II's sound signature which I found less bothersome. 

Having said that, my ideal recommendation is for the Sennheiser Amperior.  Not everyone will agree with me that it sounds significantly better, but I found the overall clarity and focus to be noticeably better than the HD 25-1-II.  IMO, it is worth the price difference.

Thanks for the advice, although I'm afraid the Amperior is beyond my price range.
What do you thing of the bass on the HD25 vs the K67, is there a significant difference?

May 15, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #4,431 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
I still think they might be not enough bass quantitatively for your needs. Ever look at the Q40s?

Otherwise the mids might work out so you could always try and see if it works out in the end. If not, return them and you will have also learned a lesson regarding your personal preferences.

Unfortunately, the M-Audio Q40 are expensive, I can spend less than $ 70 :frowning2:

Do you know any other product that is cheaper?

Extreme, check out the Pioneer SE-MJ751.  It uses two drivers in each ear cup.  The second driver is purely for enhanced bass output.  You can also adjust the bass with the turn of a dial, so that you can get anything from a little bass, to a lot of bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bds /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am looking for a new pair of all-purpose IEMs that I can use for the commute and at the gym. For extended listening I have a pair of JVC HA-S500s with HM5 mods and love it. I recently was using the Sony MH1Cs as my primary IEMs but they recently broke (i.e. i put them in the washing machine :frowning2: whoops).

--Looking for something that sounds similar to the MH1Cs but preferably with more comfortable fit/cable.
--Budget is ~70 USD but I'm fairly flexible
--Tempted to buy the Zero Audio DX210s that have been getting hype in the discovery thread but am flexible here as well
--Preferably gym-wearable

First, I would suggest taking a look at http://www.head-fi.org/t/640788/40-iem-battle-royale-rha-ma-350-added-3-1-13.  It's a very small and localized comparison between some similar models.  I've never heard the Zero Audi DX210, however I haven't exactly had the best of luck with products from that thread, let's just leave it at that. 
smile.gif

May 15, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #4,432 of 5,364
Quote:
Thanks for the advice, although I'm afraid the Amperior is beyond my price range.

Sure. 
smile.gif
  Yeah, I had a feeling it might be.  And if I'm to be honest, with my current budget it's a bit out of mine as well.  Doesn't stop me from wanting it though. 

Quote:
What do you thing of the bass on the HD25 vs the K67, is there a significant difference?

Kinda yeah.  It depends on what you are looking for.  The HD 25-1-II has more of a mid-bass focus, whereas the K67 mas much more to offer in the way of sub-bass.  This is not to suggest that the K67 is a slouch when it comes to mid-bass, but it clearly excels over the HD 25-1-II in terms of extension at the low end.

May 15, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #4,433 of 5,364
Quote:

Extreme, check out the Pioneer SE-MJ751.  It uses two drivers in each ear cup.  The second driver is purely for enhanced bass output.  You can also adjust the bass with the turn of a dial, so that you can get anything from a little bass, to a lot of bass.

Thank you!
I had also seen the Pioneer SE-MJ751  http://www.amazon.it/Pioneer-SE-MJ751-Cuffia-Bass-Bianco/dp/B0073T2LNA/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368655616&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=pioneer+mj75 , Are the same product?

(there are about 15 or $ 20 difference)

The CAL or Jvc ha-s500 works just fine, or it takes more, for example the Sony XB500? (I find it hard to find the XB500 because they are out of production)

May 15, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #4,434 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you!
I had also seen the Pioneer SE-MJ751  http://www.amazon.it/Pioneer-SE-MJ751-Cuffia-Bass-Bianco/dp/B0073T2LNA/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368655616&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=pioneer+mj75 , Are the same product?

(there are about 15 or $ 20 difference)

You're welcome!  Yup, all MJ751 units worldwide are the same on a functional level.  The ones in the US carry the Steez brand as it's part of their urban/dance line here.

Quote:
The CAL or Jvc ha-s500 works just fine, or it takes more, for example the Sony XB500? (I find it hard to find the XB500 because they are out of production)

I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean by this?

May 15, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #4,435 of 5,364
Quote:

Sure. 
smile.gif
  Yeah, I had a feeling it might be.  And if I'm to be honest, with my current budget it's a bit out of mine as well.  Doesn't stop me from wanting it though. 

Kinda yeah.  It depends on what you are looking for.  The HD 25-1-II has more of a mid-bass focus, whereas the K67 mas much more to offer in the way of sub-bass.  This is not to suggest that the K67 is a slouch when it comes to mid-bass, but it clearly excels over the HD 25-1-II in terms of extension at the low end.

Think I am going to have to go for the HD25, it just seems superior over the k67 in most other departments.
Thanks for the help 
smile.gif

May 15, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #4,436 of 5,364
Quote:

You're welcome!  Yup, all MJ751 units worldwide are the same on a functional level.  The ones in the US carry the Steez brand as it's part of their urban/dance line here.

I'm sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean by this?

Thank you for giving me explain what that different code on the Pioneer headphones.

(I'm Italian, I do not speak good English, use google translate, and did a bit of confusion)
In the message "The CAL or Jvc ha-s500 works just fine, or it takes blackberries, for example the Sony XB500? (I find it hard to find the XB500 Because they are out of production)", I mean if for the type of sound that I seek, it is best to choose the CAL or the Jvc Ha-s500, or if I have to choose the Sony XB500 that are hard to find because I think they are out of production.

Thank you for giving me explain what That different code on the Pioneer headphones.

In the message "The CAL or Jvc ha-s500 works just fine, or it takes blackberries, for example the Sony XB500? (I find it hard to find the XB500 Because they are out of production)", I mean if for the type of sound That I seek, it is best to choose the CAL or the Jvc Ha-s500, or if I have to choose the Sony XB500 That are hard to find because i think they are out of production.

May 15, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #4,437 of 5,364
Quote:

Sure. 
smile.gif

I actually have one more question, I know the isolation is top class but do you find that they leak out much sound? I will be manly using this on the bus and around town so this is fairly important.

May 15, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #4,438 of 5,364
Quote:
Thank you for giving me explain what that different code on the Pioneer headphones.

(I'm Italian, I do not speak good English, use google translate, and did a bit of confusion)
In the message "The CAL or Jvc ha-s500 works just fine, or it takes blackberries, for example the Sony XB500? (I find it hard to find the XB500 Because they are out of production)", I mean if for the type of sound that I seek, it is best to choose the CAL or the Jvc Ha-s500, or if I have to choose the Sony XB500 that are hard to find because I think they are out of production.

I see, no worries. 
smile.gif
  If you truly want a lot of bass, then you should get the XB500.  But in my experience, I do not think it will be necessary and you will sacrifice a lot.  My XB500 have a lot of bass.  That's good.  But the mids and highs are not very good.  That's bad. 

Quote:
Quote:

I actually have one more question, I know the isolation is top class but do you find that they leak out much sound? I will be manly using this on the bus and around town so this is fairly important.

This is a little hard to say because I heard the K67 at a Head-Fi meet so I didn't get a chance to take it outside.  I mean, I guess I could have, but then Wolfetan would have run after me screaming thief!  As for the HD 25-1-II, isolation is pretty darned good, especially for a supraaural.  I have absolutely no complaints about its isolation.

May 15, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #4,439 of 5,364
W
This is a little hard to say because I heard the K67 at a Head-Fi meet so I didn't get a chance to take it outside.  I mean, I guess I could have, but then Wolfetan would have run after me screaming thief!  As for the HD 25-1-II, isolation is pretty darned good, especially for a supraaural.  I have absolutely no complaints about its isolation.
I think you may have mis read my post, I was actually asking about the sound leakage on the HD25

May 15, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #4,440 of 5,364
Quote:

I see, no worries. 
smile.gif
  If you truly want a lot of bass, then you should get the XB500.  But in my experience, I do not think it will be necessary and you will sacrifice a lot.  My XB500 have a lot of bass.  That's good.  But the mids and highs are not very good.  That's bad. 

Thank you!
So I do not consider the XB500.

Remain the JVC HA-S500 (I've heard well, they have some nice bass as I like (I think), and there are also the Creative Aurvana Live I believe, however, have less bass.

Not having the opportunity to try the headphones, it's really hard to choose! (as I said a moment ago, I was lucky enough to try the AKG K518 but I did not like)

What choice do you recommend?
(headphones that will  take, I would sound good with most mp3 players. Now I have a Creative Zen, but later I could change it with a Cowon or a Philips, you do not know, we'll see!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back