Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Apr 15, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #3,796 of 5,364
Hi Guys,

I have been a regular visitor to Head-Fi for past couple of years, mostly to see what is happening in the world of audio and I really think you guys are quite knowledgeable bunch of folks around. 

So this time I decided to join as I need help with deciding which in-ear headphones to buy. First of all, I like listening to music but I am just a student so don't have big budget to invest too much.

What I Use Currently:
My current setup was Sony MDREX50LPB (link:http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004MPQ7OM/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which I have been using for well over 8 months now and they still sound amazing; paired with Samsung HS3000 Bluetooth Stereo Headset (link:http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004XYI998/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1as my day includes 3hours journey in London Underground so this way there were no wires that could get tangled in someone's bag that I had to worry about. But I accidently ripped the clip off my Samsung headset and now I cant use it. There were some pros and cons with the setup.

Pros: No loose wires, reasonably good sound, 
Cons: the sony headphones suffer from some pretty bad sound leakage, hence i used to keep the volume below 20% 

Scenario:
I recently bought a Nexus 4 and for some odd reason they didn't come with any handsfree. Now I want to buy a pair of headphones with mic so I can dump the now broken Samsung bluetooth & leaky Sony MDREX50s. I am willing to compromise for wired in-ear headphones ( I tried Phillips Shibuya recently but returned them promptly as although they sounded great, they were letting too much sound in + I didn't felt comfy) so anyways, I have been looking on Amazon UK & my price range is upto 30£.  Below is a list of potential candidates, I would be glad if you can help me in deciding. 

My requirements, in short:

* In-ear headphones with mic
* must not leak terrible amount of music.
* music preferences: rock, alternate, dance, jazz
* hates: too much bass
* reliable, shouldn't fall apart within weeks

Shortlist: (in no particular order)

a. SoundMAGIC MP21
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SoundMAGIC-MP21-Earphones-Mic-iPhone/dp/B003VJKMD2/ref=pd_ybh_1

b
Sony MDREX38IPB.CE7
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDREX38IPB-CE7-Headphones-In-Line-Control/dp/B002TWDHXY/ref=pd_ybh_8

c. MEElectronics M6P
http://www.amazon.co.uk/MEElectronics-sports-earphone-inline-remote/dp/B003VTZPO8/ref=pd_ybh_9

d. Philips SHE8005/10
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-SHE8005-10-In-Ear-Headset/dp/B004NROUSE/ref=pd_ybh_11

Budget Stretcher, Bonus entry:

Sennheiser MM30i
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-MM-30i-Ear-Canal-Headset/dp/B004HD4L2E/ref=pd_ybh_22

I know its too much to ask for my budget, but just see if you can point me in the right direction. :/ 

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #3,797 of 5,364
Hi all! I've been using this site for a while now (usually the place i come to for headphone reviews etc.) so thought i'd post and ask for some advice.

i currently have a pair of Brainwavz M2s and have had them for around a year now. i bought them on recommendation from Joker's headphone comparison thread, i really like the sound signature but i'd like to upgrade soon if it's still financially possible.

i've had my eye on:
- HiSoundAudio crystal
- Phonak Audéo Perfect Bass 01
- HiFiMan RE-400 waterline (found some for a great price)

I mainly listen to electronic music (deep house, techno, progressive, trance) and prefer a warm sound (my M2s have a warm sound that i enjoy) and not too much bass (i had some CX300s before the M2s and i found the bass a bit too overbearing). Can anyone recommend any of the 3 that i mentioned? which would be the better alternative for my music tastes? 

Any help is much appreciated :)

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #3,798 of 5,364
I'm looking for earphones at a 50-100 price range , I listen to rnb, rap and hip hop mostly , I listen to music everyday for a long period of times and I need suggestions for earphones / iems thanks.and I'm used to listing to Sony and klipsch earphones so it would be nice for other brands as long as they are good and worth the money .

Apr 15, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #3,799 of 5,364
Also looking for in ear headphones. I just bought an ibasso D6 amp/dac and am looking for something that would pair well with it.  I had this in another thread but realized it should be here so I'll delete that one.
What are you all using with ibasso amps? OR
What would you recommend?

Apr 15, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #3,800 of 5,364
Quote:
Just received my Sensaphonics 221 single sided earphone and it sounds incredible!  I know..450 dollars!?!  But I wanted to splurge since I retired and go to the gym daily and the difference between this and Scansound's single ear phone is like night and day!  I mean it really sounds great...clear (you can hear very instrument), good bass, and most important bot  h sides of the song(bass and treble)! I am happy with it just got to get used to putting it in your ear correctly.  So if you got the money go for it!!

Glad you like it kaybay1!

Curious: Do you have unilateral hearing loss, or do you just prefer a single-sided earphone at the gym? The 221 single-sided stereo is actually designed for the former...

Thanks for the kind words.

Apr 15, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #3,801 of 5,364
I'm searching to replace my decrypted Shure SCL2s that are finally going out on me after 4 years. I've narrowed it down to the SE215s and the GR07s. Are the VSonics worth the extra money?

I listen to a wide variety of music (Rap, rock [RHCP, Muse, AC/DC, RATM, Joe Satriani] metal, alternative, electronic, occasionally some classical) and I hear the VSonics do that well. I'm looking for some improved bass performance (seeing as my SCLs have none).

Any other recommendations? Or would the 07s be the choice?

Apr 15, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #3,802 of 5,364
Quote:
why don't you try to find klipsch x10i if you can find it for under $120. Normal x10 can be found for less than $100, but I don't know how much the one with the remote cost.

I have a question about different designs of IEM.  i think part of my issue with finding a replacement set is getting the right fit for good isolation.  i examined the pairs that I have had over the years and they break out into two types.  the MEElectronics M9P and the stock Samsung all have a large diameter cylinder where the filter is where as my Shure 210's and the Ety ER-4P both have very small diameters.  so the smaller ones with the foam tips I can roll it in my fingers and scrunch it down to get good insertion, which then give me a great seal and superior sound isolation.  so my question is - do all IEM come in those two designs?  if so is there a term for that small diameter so I can search for just the small ones?

Apr 15, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #3,803 of 5,364
Quote:

I have a question about different designs of IEM.  i think part of my issue with finding a replacement set is getting the right fit for good isolation.  i examined the pairs that I have had over the years and they break out into two types.  the MEElectronics M9P and the stock Samsung all have a large diameter cylinder where the filter is where as my Shure 210's and the Ety ER-4P both have very small diameters.  so the smaller ones with the foam tips I can roll it in my fingers and scrunch it down to get good insertion, which then give me a great seal and superior sound isolation.  so my question is - do all IEM come in those two designs?  if so is there a term for that small diameter so I can search for just the small ones?

Many IEMs have their unique nozzle size. There really isn't a term for it. If you prefer smaller nozzles, I can list a few.
Klipsch
Shure
Etymotic

Not:
Sony
Sennheiser

If you like the foam tips, you can look at comply foam tips. Comply tips come in various sizes that will fit most iems.

Apr 15, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #3,804 of 5,364
Quote:
Also looking for in ear headphones. I just bought an ibasso D6 amp/dac and am looking for something that would pair well with it.  I had this in another thread but realized it should be here so I'll delete that one.
What are you all using with ibasso amps? OR
What would you recommend?

tell us what sig you are looking for.

Apr 15, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #3,805 of 5,364
Quote:
I'm looking for earphones at a 50-100 price range , I listen to rnb, rap and hip hop mostly , I listen to music everyday for a long period of times and I need suggestions for earphones / iems thanks.and I'm used to listing to Sony and klipsch earphones so it would be nice for other brands as long as they are good and worth the money .

Besides klipsch or sony, look at Shure.
SE215 is good for rnb and I think bass edition SE215 should be good for rap and hip hop.
You can also look at monster iems like the monster turbines. 

Apr 15, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #3,806 of 5,364
Thanks TwinQY, when I say something different I mean IEMs with a different sound signature than the IE80s and DTT990 pros (my only other headgear, I assume they have similar sound signatures), so no V-shape (?). I'd like some IEMs that are very well detailed and do not have recessed mids.

Apr 15, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #3,808 of 5,364
These look tempting

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Ultimate-Ears-Noise-Isolating-Earphones/dp/B003YKG2XM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366084625&sr=8-1&keywords=Ultimate+Ears+500

read somewhere that the seller might be selling fake ones ....

anyone deal with this third party seller

Apr 16, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #3,809 of 5,364
[size=12pt]Hi Head-Fi Community,[/size]

[size=12pt]I’m Ken, 29 years old, from Manila, Philippines. I’m new here and I’m a Headphone/Earphone newbie.[/size]

[size=12pt]So I need your advice on my first set of decent Earphones that I will be getting ASAP.[/size]

[size=12pt]·        [/size] [size=12pt]1 (one) In-Earphone ($100 - $200 price max) – My main (Home & Office) will be a Headphone. This IEM will be used for travel/commute/outdoors. It's hot here and difficult to commute so I guess In-ear is cooler, lighter, and more durable for travel/outdoors.[/size]
[size=12pt]·        [/size] [size=12pt]1 (one) Sports In-Earphone ($100 price max) – I want to start being healthy this year [/size][size=12pt]J[/size][size=12pt].[/size]
[size=12pt]I listen mostly to Progressive Rock/Metal (Dream Theater, Symphony X), Guitar Instrumentals (Marco Sfogli, Andy James), Blues Rock (Led Zep, Joe Bonamassa), Melodic Hard Rock (Mr. Big, Journey), and Motion Picture/Epic Music (Hans Zimmer etc…) to name a few of my genre and taste.[/size]
[size=12pt]Could you please recommend me what you think are the best HP/EP for my price range and preferences? I’m a serious music/audio listener but that’s what I can afford considering my location and work. Where I’m from, it’s hard to test due to the limited options/stocks; let alone buy one because the prices are inflated ridiculously – that’s why I chose to buy online but risk the repair and warranty.[/size]
[size=12pt]I’m looking for:[/size]
[size=12pt]1.     [/size] [size=12pt]Audio Quality[/size]
[size=12pt]2.     [/size] [size=12pt]Comfort[/size]
[size=12pt]3.     [/size] [size=12pt]Durability[/size]
[size=12pt]I could go for recommendations beyond my price range above, but I think if it’s too expensive, I may have to buy in “Used” condition. Do you recommend buying “Used”?[/size]
[size=12pt]I have a friend whose business is shipping from the US to Phil so I have no problems buying online from the US since I get discounts from her.[/size]
[size=12pt]I really appreciate your taking the time to help, and make the audiophile community a better world.[/size]
[size=12pt]Thanks for your time and help.[/size]
[size=12pt]Sincerely,[/size]

[size=12pt]Ken[/size]

Apr 16, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #3,810 of 5,364
Hi all,

I'm not a huge audiophile all though I do appreciate good sound.  I have even built a dot MK3 amp, however; I tend to not be all that active when it comes to keeping up with the latest and greatest in audio equipment.  

*I'm not trying to provide a review for any of the products I mention.  I'm just trying to use language that will get across the type of headphone I'm looking for compared to what I have used already.

Problem: I need some help with my portable set up.

I used to have a Sansa Clip (V2, rockboxed), Headstage Arrow amp, and Etymotic ER-4P, but recently upgraded to a hisoundaudio Nova N3 player (to replace the clip in my portable set up).  I really love the improved clarity and soundstage of the N3 when compared to the clip; however, some of the music I listen seems to "feel" underpowered.  The low end (snare, drums and guitar for metal music and EDM music in general) have lost some of the impact that I loved with my Sana Clip set up.

*Note: I love my new setup.  Neko Case has never sounded better and metal does sound good though this setup, but when I'm doing something strenuous (like at the gym) I miss the "oomph" that was present in my old setup.

Failed Solution: 

I read some threads here and some reviews elsewhere and thought that Future Sonics MG7 would give my back the low end in my portable set up.  So I purchased some, but they aren't what I'm looking for.  While it is true that they add more bass, I can't find any thing else positive to say about them.  They fit terrible (I'm use to the very secure fit of my er-4p's), the bass is muddy (a kick drum sounds more like a boomy "thud" rather than a satisfying "bump"), the mids sound hallow, and the sound stage is super narrow.  

To be fair I think that my opinion would be better of these headphones if they fit better, but I can't seem to get them far enough into my ears.  Sometimes if I really try to jam them in my ear the ear tip gets kinked and then my headphone turns into an earplug.  

What I'm looking for:

I have some Denon AH-D2000's that are hooked up to my computer (I use them mostly for games and movies).  When I plug my Denon's into my new portable setup I really like how they sound.  They aren't quite as clear as my ER-4P's but the bass is more powerful and the clarity/sound stage isn't sacrificed that much.  

- I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an IEM that sounds similar to my AH-D2000's.
- I would really appreciate a detachable cord as I have rebuilt the cable on my ER4-P's many times (DIY oxygen free, silver plated, teflon      coated cables).

* One final note:  I really enjoy how PAA-1 headphones sound that came with my hisoundauido Nova N3 player.  They aren't as clear as my Denon's, the mids sound a bit hallow and I would prefer a bit more isolation, but they sound surprisingly good.

My price point is less than $300.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back