Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Apr 14, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #3,781 of 5,364
Hello all, I am looking to upgrading my current portable heaphones, the AKG K81 DJ.  I don't know much about portables, but I think I've narrowed my choices to either the V-Moda M80 or the Sennheiser Amperior.  I'm looking for something with a large sound stage, decent isolation, and strong durability.  I'm a bit of a bass head, I love warm/forward mids, and I cannot stand harsh treble.  Which of these would fit the bill?  I'm open to any other suggestions as well, thanks!

Apr 14, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #3,782 of 5,364
Quote:
Just straight to the point.

I have a budget around $100. Listen to all sorts kind of music, but mostly EDM. Not really a bass-head though. What I look in my IEM is clarity mainly.
Comfort is major point and build quality / durability needs to be above average as I am not a very careful user. I broke the cables of both Klipsch S4 and Shure SE215. :D

Right now I'm torn between TDK IE800 and WiFiMan RE400.

What do you guys reckon between those two? I can get them both for around ~$115.

Comfort - would go out to the IE800s, the HiFiMANs have a fairly wide nozzle and the shells don't hug your ears/feel as secure even though both are straight-barrel designs.
Build - Cable and strain relief would go to the TDKs, obviously the ceramic shells feel more sturdy and heavy-duty though. I have a very minor, very unnoticeable cosmetic dent that wasn't there when I first borrowed them and it's only been 2-3 weeks. 
Clarity - easily goes to the RE-400s. Presentation is simply more about rounded notes and warmth, though never excessive.
I'm making the RE-400s sound pretty bad but tbh they'd probably be your best choice between the two out of the criteria.

Quote:
Can someone recommend me a set of IEM's?

I was set on a few which then got bad reviews when i came to this site.

Currently looking at the id America spark's but don't mind spending up to $60-$70.

Are there any better ones you can recommend. I want a remote to at least be able to skip tracks on my ipod. I listen to all types of music so no preference on bass/mids/highs just a good sounding set.

Mic/remote, ~60-70, the UE600 and the X10 if you can find them on sale (they do have them fairly often) are fairly nice at that price.

Quote:
@ TwinQY

Thanks for the response :)
I reside in India (Mumbai) Can you please give me d link where can I order Monoprice 8320?
Which is the cheapest good IEM which u can recommend?

I went through some reviews, and noticed that Meelectronics M6 was d cheapest budget IEM. Flipkart is selling it for 1450.. sadly it is discontinued and could not find it on any other website which ships to India. (eBay selling it for 2500+) can I trust eBay seller and is it worth 2500? I am ready to spend. assuming a little flexible budget..

Also,
I have shortlisted these 2.

Sony XB30EX (1699)
Sennheiser CX 180 (1690)

I would be really thankful for answering my queries :)

For your sound sig criteria would still go for the 8320. The other two are just very excessive and very budget/not impressive. The M6 for 2500 is a rip, IMO. That's equivalent to almost 50 bucks here. Might be worth it for the build but even then it's pushing it.

The 8320 - Monoprice themselves have it on their main site - http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082303&p_id=8320&seq=1&format=2. International shipping, the works.

Quote:

Thank you TwinQY for the kind reply.
No, I don't look at the specs of course, I know they are meaningless in regards of how a headphone sounds. What I was trying to say is that I know beyers and how they sounds. DT231Pro is good entry-level headphone and I like how it performs with my mobile phone, but it's not portable. Since DTX501p seems to be a step ahead and I never get disappointed by the balanced sound of beyerdynamic HPs, I believe that I could be pleased by the DTX501p as well, at least according to my impression. BTW I don't know the AKG. I read good things about the K450 especially the part about the powerful bass but someone complained that because of the excessive bass boost the mids are disappointing. I would really like to test them both before buy one of them. I asked to my usual dealer if I can come to the shop for a direct comparison but he should order the AKG first and BTW he told me that they don't deal beyers anymore.
The reason about angled jack resides in the fact that my mobile phone has the jack in on the side, so with a straight HP jack would make the phone uncomfortable in my pocket.

For me, yes, it is the typical Beyer sig. And the mids are a bit clear (though still a bit of grain though nothing too dehabilitating). It's exactly the fact that it retains the Beyer sig (the new one that is, with the very wonky and messed up treble) that I can't recommend it on good conscience. 

Quote:
Hello folks, I'm in dire need of help!

My headphones cables always set out on kamikazi missions: they'll wrap themselves around doorknobs, pantry handles, armrests, my knee as I'm biking. They will often self-eject as I'm performing death-defying stunts on my rollerblades. Though they always make it through the day, it's wearing on them, slowly but surely, until they are no longer able to route sound adequately to my eardrums. One of the two always fails me after a few months of abuse. That's when I start to play around with them: I'll twist, pull, shift the position of my Galaxy Nexus in my pocket, play with the sleeves wrapped around my ear until my right to listen to music undisturbed is once again respected. 

I bought Shure's e215s during the summer last year, and I'm currently a few clicks away from ordering a third set of replacement cables. I am afraid of taking my Porta Pros outside with me as I know what fate awaits them... and the last time I sent them back to get them repaired (hurray lifetime warranty!), it took forever. I actually bought my e215s thinking that my PPs had been lost in the mail. In fact, aside from losing my headphones, all pairs I buy seem to be cursed with the inevitable one-ear syndrome. 

I have a dream: That there's a cable out there for me; Resilient, tenacious, flexible, unwavering, loyal.

I dream of army-grade headphone plugs. 

Is wireless the answer?

Help a brother out.

Thanks in advance.

(formalities: I listen to hip-hop, electro, jazz. Price point sub-250$ if possible)

Genres are helpful but of course stating sound/sig preferences would be even more so.

Of course all of that is rather insignificant in regards to your hunt for proper cabling. But the SE215 cables breaking 3 times (and they are already so thick and sturdy) is rather ridiculous. At some point cables themselves become the limiting factor due to your usage and lifestyle. So really just a confirmatory comment, but yes, keep the Shures, then wireless bluetooth dongle. http://www.amazon.com/JayBird-uSport-Bluetooth-Adapter-Devices/dp/B002PU9U0E/ref=pd_sim_cps_3

Quote:
Hi guys, I'm looking for advice once more and so far you have never let me down! 

I'm seeking a pair of IEMs for use in the gym. I have searched extensively and read the various threads but none of them give many suggestions of IEMs which have clips that go around the ear or neckbands and for me this is a must as I have tried various headphones without and they all end up falling out.

I'm based in the UK but looking to spend the equivalent of $100

In terms of what I'm looking for sound wise, I'm looking for something fun and musical, as opposed to clinical. If any of you have heard the AKG K 81s then this is the sort of sound signature I'm looking for, or that of the Monster Audio turbines as opposed to say the AKG K550 (I keep meaning to add a review to the comparison thread about the K 81s and the K 550s but after having had them for a while now I still haven;t got round to it!). So yeah, something angled towards the "dark" side and easy to listen to.

I'm not overly fussed about them being too noise isolating as I'll be in a gym so its not a huge issue, conversely they dont need to block out 100% of noise but 70% upwards would be ideal. Also, I would like noise leak to be kept to a minimum just as it really bugs me when other people have headphones which leak. 

Look forward to hearing your recommendations!

Thanks

Sam

Dark, musical, laid-back, <$100, low leakage, over-the-ear style (though you could just go with the V-Moda Sporthooks - http://v-moda.com/sport-earhooks/ - or even just make your own with some shrink wrap) - sounds a lot like the GR06 or the SE215. Isolation is average on the former and better than average on the latter. The Shures are pretty bass-heavy but strikes a good balance, very lush mids and smoothed sound. GR06s simply don't have the bass kick but the rest of the sig is pretty adherent to your criteria.

Quote:
Hello! I am a bit saddened to say that I have lost my HF5s. I quite liked the sound from them, but I'm curious to see what IEMs you guys would suggest. (Roughly the same price range as the HF5s, but I could stretch quite a bit this time... to about $2-300 if needed.)

Thanks in advance!

ER4P :p
If you liked the sound this is a natural progression. Also much better build, as expected. Since you can stretch the budget....
Also the R-50 and GR01 to look at.

But even so, the ER4 aren't exactly identical in terms of sig (though too close for comfort), so any opinions on where the sound sig can deviate, etc would be helpful. Also other criteria in terms of build, comfort, etc.

Quote:
<=$150 IEM for a basshead please?

Preference in terms of build, comfort, isolation, genres, etc?

Nevertheless, the FXZ100, CKS90, FXD80, MTPG, Atrios, are worth a look into. 
Quote:
I can increase my budget to around £60, for that price would the Koss Pro DJ100 (£50) or the Sony MDR-V6 be good options? (also considered the koss pro dj200 as they have the detachable cable)
I shall be playing the music through my computer and through a Sony NWZ-A845 when commuting.
Also if i was to narrow down my music types to the one i definitely listen to the most, it would have to be Instrumental and Acoustic, sorry i don't know what exactly sound preferences to talk about as i don't quite know what exactly to look for with the highs, mods and lows (if thats what you mean?)

Yes, that's what I had meant. It'll be hard to narrow down a choice when you can't specify on the type of sound you like. Simply "good" sound would not be a quantifier. Asides from that the V6 have slightly better timbre accuracy from memory so they'd do a bit better with instrumental/acoustic (purely preference though). 

Quote:
Hi all,

I purchased some IE80s back in January which I loved but sadly did not fit my ears at all. Even after trying all the provided tips plus ones I made myself with foam ear plugs and buying some tips online, I couldn't get a comfortable seal so I sent them back :frowning2:

I am now looking for a pair of IEMs in the similar price range but which have good comfort and perhaps a different sound to the IE80s (in honesty I wasn't that impressed with the signature of the IE80s)

Any ideas? Thanks!

Any specific kind of "different" sound you might be yearning for? Analytical, smooth, balanced, what have you? Tons of options out there that would do better with fit, but just wanting something "different" won't narrow much down. 

Quote:
I currently have MEElectronics CW31, but they are just about as bad is the iBuds that you got with the iPods. My budget is a soft $60 but IF there is enough value in it, $100 max.

Requires:

Somewhere between fun and analytical sounding
Not genre-picky (classical, black metal, hip-hop, folk, country, whatever)
Bass isn't a must but it's presence should be there at least
ok with either up or down positions

Does this IEM exist for under $100?

EDIT: I was recommended either the GR06 for the cheaper budget or the RE-400 for the budget stretcher. Wanted a second-opinion from here

Bass presence is there with the GR06 but still rather rolled-off and soft. Does sound like the RE-400 I have here, from the sound of the criteria.

Quote:
It looks like my MEE A151s have died, so I'm in the market for some new IEMs.

Budget: <$50
Use: Gym and work
Source: Nexus 4

I'd like something with good isolation and decent durability. I'm taking a very serious look at the Vsonic GR02 Bass Edition, but I'd prefer to buy something from a local store, as I would like to have these soon, if possible. I also don't want to have to RMA something to Singapore/China.

Anything you might be looking at sound-wise? Sig preference and all that. The GR02s will have more sparkle and more forwardness overall against the A151. Isolation is good with the VSonics as always, cable is a godsend but the strain relief on the shells and the shells themselves might feel a bit lacking against the MEElectronics.

Quote:
New to IEMs and want a <$40 IEM with nice bass and a good balance between everything else. Any advice?

Preference in terms of genre, comfort, isolation, build?

Anyways, good balance, under 40, it's a bit iffy on the pricing but definitely look at the GR04.

Quote:
Hello peeps, I really would like to get the v-moda m-80 because i really like it's design and I would like it to be my on the go head phone. I know it has issues with isolation but it really is not a big deal with me, since I would just listen to it when I have a some free time like lunch breaks, and when I'm killing time in malls and coffee shops.

I'm more curious how it sounds and feels, but of course I have realized it's really hard to take people's reviews objectively since we have our own perceptions, physical designs and in addition I still doubt my confidence in really describing the sound.

Still, I really am curious and have an expectation with m-80. My only point of refernce though is brainwavz HM3 and I hope someone with the experience with the two cans or a familiarity with the sound signature can answer my questions. I really am satisfied with my HM3 and I have grown to really become cozy with it's sound despite it's short comings.

1) Does the M-80 have the same sound sig with the HM3 as in forward mids, a much better bass and the same or even a little much better treble with the HM3?

2) If I can withstand the HM3's discomforts like the pressure in my ears then I can also at least have the same or much improved comfort level with the M-80?

3) Can the M-80 be used as a good headphone for silent practice with bass guitar?

Thanks

1) Treble is subdued and smooth but not to the extent of the HM3. Mids are forward-ish, but a better way to put them would be mid-centric. Bass is soft in note and balanced overall. Not really better transient wise but detailing is a notch above.
2) The M80s have close to no pressure at all in comparison. So I would not be worried.
3) Again, leakage inwards makes it tough for monitoring and the likes. Also not really any specific quality that would make something more suited to this sound wise other than not being enormously coloured. So in that regard, there's really no reason why they wouldn't work sound-wise.

Quote:
Looking for a pair of $200 and below in ear headphone or iem that does not need an amp for my music device. My source are my ipod and I listen mainly rock, metal and acoustic and some other genre. Is it good idea if I should buy Shure se215. I don't want to use amp ok.

Genres are helpful but sound/sig preferences would be even more so. Also preference in terms of comfort, isolation, build, etc, helps narrow things down. 

Nevertheless rock is nice with the Shures for some people, not going to generalize. Another to look at would be the GR07, but again, would be easier/more accurate to rec something if you could state the above preferences.

Quote:
I'm looking for a good quality portable headphone. I have been using CIEM (ACS T1) but I'm having some physical difficulties with my ears at the moment preventing in ear use. I'm currently using AKG K490 NC  which are not bad but I'd like something of a rather higher quality. Source is IBasso DX100 and I listen on the London Underground trains so noise isolation is very important to me. I'm also looking for something that is not too large or folds down well.

As a starting point I'm interested in Beyerdynamic T50P , Sennheiser HD25-13-ii or better...

Thanks

Extremely biased against the T50P, so will not comment (why not the DT1350 though?). Also not certain on your sound/sig preferences, etc, but for practicality purposes the Senns would do very well.

Quote:
Hi guys

I'm after some advice on an IEM with mic and remote controls. My source is an iPhone 4S and iPad.

As for what kind of sound do I like, I absolutely love my Ultimate Ears UE-6000's, which I bought after reading the reviews and threads here at Headfi.

I'm after
  1. good sound isolation
  2. good mic and call quality
  3. robust design, I had some Shure IEM a few years ago, which were expensive and didn't last that long.
  4. Music: Florence and the machine, Muse, classical, allsorts really.
  5. budget up to roughly $140 (I'm buying from the uk, but can source from US easily enough)

So far on my shortlist is:

1. Shure SE215-K Earphones and CBL-M-+K Music Phone Cable with Remote + Mic for iPhone, iPod and iPad at $149
  2. SoundMAGIC E10M In-Ear Headset for iPhone, iPad, iPod (Black/Gunmetal) at £45
  3. Buds J4M Rugged Metal In-Ear Earbuds Style Headphones with Mic and Travel Case (Obsidian Black) at $40 or so
  4. Klipsch Image S4i Rugged - BLUE All Weather In-Ear Headphones at $99

I've only selected these based on the reviews from amazon and the fact that they have a mic.

I've looked through the headfi thread reviewing 278 IEM earphones, but it was hard to see which IEM's had mics and controls on them.

Thanks for reading and looking forward to hearing what you guys recommend.

thanks
Azza

Mic/remote, isolates, good build, <$140 - to be honest the four above are rather disparate against the criteria, especially if you wanted something that sounded like the UE6000s. Would look at the A161P for starters. Yes they have a mic.

Quote:
Sorry for creating a thread.Posting now in the appropriate section.

Requirement:

I had an SM E30 which I lost.So I am in need of a new IEM which will be my daily driver.I listen mostly to pop,trance and I would use these during my daily office travel.

My preferences:

I have narrowed down to XBA-3 and Shure SE215 as these are easily available in my town.

Confusion:

I have read that XBA-3 sound unnatural due to the fact that these are BA's.They emphasize more on instrument seperation ,Have a wider soundstage and are a bit sibilant.

While SE215's being dynamic sound very warm and isolate very well but have narrow soundstage and average instrument seperation.

I do not prefer the Y-type cord design in XBA -3 and fear the issue in cable connectors of SE215 as I would not be able to audition both of  them.

I am inclined to the SE215 assuming that the single dynamic driver would satisfy my requirements but still believe I would compromise something as I will not go for another IEM, probably for the next 1.5 to 2 years.
So I need your inputs before drawing to a conclusion.

The soundstage isn't very unnatural and the separation does take some time to get used to. The sibilance is but a mere factor in terms of the reason why they can be perceived as unnatural - improper timbre. Sometimes they get nasal, sometimes they don't. They're very fickle in that regard.

Would look into something else like the GR07 or the BA200 as a compromise between either. Budget?

Quote:
Looking for a nice pair of portable phones to take to school and for general listening. 

Budget - $200 sorda flexible I would prefer to stay under though. 

Source - External sound card and android phone

Requirements for Isolation - No preference really

Preferred Type of Headphone - full-sized. idk about open or closed. I would prefer either a removable cord or a straight cord. Taking a 6 foot curly cord to school isn't really practical. Also I wear fairly thick rimmed glasses 50% of the time so I would prefer some comfy pads. I'm not completely against IEM's, but I have just never owned a pair that sounded as good as the full-sized phones I've owned.

Preferred tonal balance - I like bass, but I wouldn't call myself a basshead. So I'm leaning more towards a balanced range.

Past headphones - I'm not really an audiophile so I cant really add much more detail, but I enjoyed my sony mdr-7506's up until the left channel **** out. That's why I'm getting a new pair. 

Preferred Music - house, dnb, post-rock, instrumental hip-hop, minimal electronic, various other things

Maduk ft Veela - Ghost
God is an Astronaut - All is Violent, All is Bright
Mr. Scruff - So Long
deadmau5 - Strobe
Bonobo - Noctuary
Shag - Song of Healing

I will probably be playing games with them, but I don't really care about hearing footsteps and **** like that. I have a pair of logitech G35's if I need that. 

Balance, full-sized (or IEM), <$200, removable or straight cable - on the full-sized front would look at the K550 (if you don't mind a bit of upper-mid emphasis) or the UE6000. 
IEM-wise - would look at the GR01, especially for those genres. Very sweet and airy, good surreal presentation.

Quote:
So I posted a while ago...I'm coming from a Klipsch S4 and a UE Triple.Fi 10 I picked up from Amazon's gold box deal a few years back. I'm moving on from the Triple.Fis because I'm tired of them not being comfortable. 

I tried some V-Moda M-80s, and I liked the sound, but I didn't find them to be that comfortable, so I returned them and got my money back.

I am now on some Etymotic HF5s, which I really like...maybe not as much bass as my last two pairs, but to ears they sound excellent, and I was able to pick them up for $100. My question is whether or not the ER4 series is worth the money for the upgrade, or whether I would be better off to spend some money and get custom tips through Ety. The fit is nice, but I imagine it would be excellent if I had custom tips.

Or do I scrap the Etys and keep looking?

Thoughts? 

Sig is near identical with some discrepancies on the ER4s but they don't really get that much better technically that it would warrant being called an "upgrade"

But something smooth and balanced like the M80 in IEM for and around the price (assuming 100-200 from the choices) would be the BA200/IE800. 

Quote:
Hello all, I am looking to upgrading my current portable heaphones, the AKG K81 DJ.  I don't know much about portables, but I think I've narrowed my choices to either the V-Moda M80 or the Sennheiser Amperior.  I'm looking for something with a large sound stage, decent isolation, and strong durability.  I'm a bit of a bass head, I love warm/forward mids, and I cannot stand harsh treble.  Which of these would fit the bill?  I'm open to any other suggestions as well, thanks!

Isolation - M-80s are vented, Amperiors easily win (going to use HD25-1 as baseline here as I'm more familar with them and the difference isn't that great to consider them as different phones)
Staging - both are rather small and narrow but the M-80s would be less a victim of this.
Bass/mids - seems to lean towards how the M-80s sound. The Senns are aggressive and can be peaky/sparkly treble-wise.

Apr 14, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #3,783 of 5,364

They're both very very durable, the M-80 are smaller and have an easily removable cable but Amperior's cable is replaceable too (if it didn't change from the HD25-1)... The latter isolate better but also sound more closed in, the M-80's sound stage isn't super large either tho.

Apr 14, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #3,784 of 5,364
im looking for an in ear headphone (NOT EAR CANAL) i listen to ''real'' progressive house mostly with the occasional (progressive)trance and deep house, comfort > all else (theres no way an in ear can be uncomfortable tho unless its ear canal :S) and it should be an upgrade over my sennheiser cx300ii and my budget is $100-$150
EDIT: seems like YUIN is highly praised here and im thinking of pk1, pk2 or ok2 im curious tho there is this seller from hong kong on ebay and is that trustable? amazon doesnt ship to turkey

Apr 14, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #3,785 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi guys

I'm after some advice on an IEM with mic and remote controls. My source is an iPhone 4S and iPad.

As for what kind of sound do I like, I absolutely love my Ultimate Ears UE-6000's, which I bought after reading the reviews and threads here at Headfi.

I'm after
  1. good sound isolation
  2. good mic and call quality
  3. robust design, I had some Shure IEM a few years ago, which were expensive and didn't last that long.
  4. Music: Florence and the machine, Muse, classical, allsorts really.
  5. budget up to roughly $140 (I'm buying from the uk, but can source from US easily enough)

So far on my shortlist is:

1. Shure SE215-K Earphones and CBL-M-+K Music Phone Cable with Remote + Mic for iPhone, iPod and iPad at $149
  2. SoundMAGIC E10M In-Ear Headset for iPhone, iPad, iPod (Black/Gunmetal) at £45
  3. Buds J4M Rugged Metal In-Ear Earbuds Style Headphones with Mic and Travel Case (Obsidian Black) at $40 or so
  4. Klipsch Image S4i Rugged - BLUE All Weather In-Ear Headphones at $99

I've only selected these based on the reviews from amazon and the fact that they have a mic.

I've looked through the headfi thread reviewing 278 IEM earphones, but it was hard to see which IEM's had mics and controls on them.

Thanks for reading and looking forward to hearing what you guys recommend.

thanks
Azza

I'm not an expert, but just to reinforce some of the other comments... I've just gone from the S4 to the E10 (non-microphone versions) and the E10 is vastly superior I'd say in pretty much all dimensions. I'd throw out the S4i and decide between the others.

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #3,786 of 5,364
Ive been using sennheiser cx270 for a while and have been impressed with the sub bass. Unfortunately, the headphone jack has suffered damage to where one side will cut out in certain positions. It makes it hard to work out with them because cord vibrations will interrupt the sound. My research suggests this is a common issue to the model, so Im hesitant to get another one, and other people on the forums have said there are supposedly better models out there for the money. Can you guys recommend a pair of either in ear monitors or wraparound headphones that will stay put during workouts and will match or exceed the bass response of the cx270? I am primarily listening to drum and bass, trance, electro, and dubstep, looking to keep it under $50. Thanks for your help!

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #3,787 of 5,364
Hi everyone, I've just joined the forums today, I'm looking for advice on my next purchase of IEMs.

I'll start off with my musical tastes. I'm really into progressive rock and metal (Steve Vai, Dream Theater, Joe Satriani, Rush). I'm also a guitar player, and I'm obsessed with my tone (other guitar players here will understand me :p). I consider myself to be a bit of an audiophile. I sometimes find it difficult to enjoy my music when it doesn't sound exactly right through my phones.

What I'm looking for is a set of IEMs that are very well balanced, crisp and clear. I love being able to hear every note, every symbol hit, clearly and distinctly.  I want the mids to be present but not getting in the way of everything else.

My price range preferably below or around 40$.

My current earbuds are JLab J3s, which are pretty good, but recently I've found that they are too focused on treble and medium/high mids, lack a bit in bass, and the phones have lost some of their clarity.  I also have some J5s, which I'm using at this very moment. After switching mid-song from the J3s, I found that the J5s were quite the opposite. They have very powerful bass, slightly overpowering at times, the high mids are a tad weak, and the treble starts to crackle a bit sometimes.

Some other little things I like/don't like about phones in general:
-I'd prefer a longer cord over a shorter one. Nothing worse than the buds being pulled out of your ear because the cable's too short.
-I'm not hugely bothered by microphonics in the cable, as long as they're not too bad.
-My J3s have a nylon (i think) coated cable and are relatively tangle free, which I love.
-My durability expectations for any set of IEMs in this price range is 6-8 months. I bring them with me to school every day, as well as whenever I'm in the car and I'm not driving, so they're gonna get used quite a lot. I do take good care of them though, I'm careful not to yank the cable or bend it too much at the jack. As long as the cable has good insulation (probably not the right word, but whatever) at pressure points such as the jack, it'll be fine for me. The last thing I want is to end up with another pair like those Skullcandy Ink'd buds I used to get that had gotten cheaper and cheaper in build quality to  the point where I went through 2 pairs in a month.
-I want good noise isolation, I don't like being disturbed when enjoying my music :p

After browsing Amazon and reading reviews and comparisons, I'm trying to decide between S4s and CX300Bs. Hopefully everything I wrote will give you a good idea of what sounds good to me, and be aware that I'm open to other suggestions if you think there's something better for me than the S4s or the CX300Bs.

Apr 14, 2013 at 6:42 PM Post #3,788 of 5,364
Finished the previous replies here - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here/3780#post_9353062

Quote:
im looking for an in ear headphone (NOT EAR CANAL) i listen to ''real'' progressive house mostly with the occasional (progressive)trance and deep house, comfort > all else (theres no way an in ear can be uncomfortable tho unless its ear canal :S) and it should be an upgrade over my sennheiser cx300ii and my budget is $100-$150
EDIT: seems like YUIN is highly praised here and im thinking of pk1, pk2 or ok2 im curious tho there is this seller from hong kong on ebay and is that trustable? amazon doesnt ship to turkey

Assuming ear canal refers to IEMs, it's been stated more than a couple of times on this thread that the earbud market is very sparse and generally ignored (mostly likely due to technical limitations - i.e. they will never achieve a proper acoustic seal and still sound good for portable usage). If you like warm and gooey mids the Yuins would be decent, build is rather bad though. Link to the ebay seller?

Quote:
Ive been using sennheiser cx270 for a while and have been impressed with the sub bass. Unfortunately, the headphone jack has suffered damage to where one side will cut out in certain positions. It makes it hard to work out with them because cord vibrations will interrupt the sound. My research suggests this is a common issue to the model, so Im hesitant to get another one, and other people on the forums have said there are supposedly better models out there for the money. Can you guys recommend a pair of either in ear monitors or wraparound headphones that will stay put during workouts and will match or exceed the bass response of the cx270? I am primarily listening to drum and bass, trance, electro, and dubstep, looking to keep it under $50. Thanks for your help!

Bass-heavy, under 50 - though these have more balance, quantity is similar (just that the other frequencies aren't as pulled back) the M2s or the GR02 would have the mid-bass impact and texture. Something a bit more dark and aggressive would be the GR99. More emphasis on the subbass.

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #3,789 of 5,364
I'm looking for something similar to the RE-262 that isn't the PFE122; since Phonak is planning to cease production of earphones, not sure how warranty would fare under that. I've had trouble with the pair of RE-262 I previously bought and it's been sent back for repairs but it's been a while already and there hasn't been any updates. It's not as readily available for purchase in Canada, so chances are, I'm not going to be looking into those again. Any suggestions for some IEMs that have highly similar sound signatures to the RE-262?

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #3,790 of 5,364
Hey!
Im planning on buying a pair of headphones really soon but i just cant decide which ones to get. I keep leaning towards the ue triplefi 10s but then i hear things like the build quality is crap and they got a lot worse once logitech bought UE. so then i looked at the westone 2 and they seem pretty awesome but then i hear they seem cold and dead from the lack of bass and the UEs sound a lot better. I used to have a pair of klipsk s4s and prior to that i had the etymotic hf5 and i didnt like them because the highs were ear piercing and they just wernt comfortable. I use the se425 right now but there not mine, and i dont mind the balance of them maybe a hint more bass would be good. i listen to a lot of different stuff as well as use headphones as IEM live but i also do studio work and would like the pair to be able to be used as a another reverence source so i dont want to much boost in any one place. im trying to stay in the 180 ish range. another thing that scares me about the UEs is that people say it either fits or it doesnt... 

thanks 

Apr 15, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #3,791 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey!
Im planning on buying a pair of headphones really soon but i just cant decide which ones to get. I keep leaning towards the ue triplefi 10s but then i hear things like the build quality is crap and they got a lot worse once logitech bought UE. so then i looked at the westone 2 and they seem pretty awesome but then i hear they seem cold and dead from the lack of bass and the UEs sound a lot better. I used to have a pair of klipsk s4s and prior to that i had the etymotic hf5 and i didnt like them because the highs were ear piercing and they just wernt comfortable. I use the se425 right now but there not mine, and i dont mind the balance of them maybe a hint more bass would be good. i listen to a lot of different stuff as well as use headphones as IEM live but i also do studio work and would like the pair to be able to be used as a another reverence source so i dont want to much boost in any one place. im trying to stay in the 180 ish range. another thing that scares me about the UEs is that people say it either fits or it doesnt... 

thanks 

1) The W2s have obvious mid-bass emphasis above neutrality. The notes might be rounded and delicate but there's no getting around the fact that they have a slight bass boost. I have no idea whoever said these were cold had been taking at the time. Either that or they need to reevaluate their definition of what constitutes a cold sound. 
2) Something a bit bassier than the SE425 while still retaining balance at that price would be the GR07.

Apr 15, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #3,792 of 5,364
Hey I'm trying to find new IEMs for around $150 and am looking at the R-50 and the Gr07.  I currently have the Klipsch s4 so you can compare off that.  Thanks whoever can help. Suggest at will.

Apr 15, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #3,793 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi everyone, I've just joined the forums today, I'm looking for advice on my next purchase of IEMs.

I'll start off with my musical tastes. I'm really into progressive rock and metal (Steve Vai, Dream Theater, Joe Satriani, Rush). I'm also a guitar player, and I'm obsessed with my tone (other guitar players here will understand me :p). I consider myself to be a bit of an audiophile. I sometimes find it difficult to enjoy my music when it doesn't sound exactly right through my phones.

What I'm looking for is a set of IEMs that are very well balanced, crisp and clear. I love being able to hear every note, every symbol hit, clearly and distinctly.  I want the mids to be present but not getting in the way of everything else.

My price range preferably below or around 40$.

My current earbuds are JLab J3s, which are pretty good, but recently I've found that they are too focused on treble and medium/high mids, lack a bit in bass, and the phones have lost some of their clarity.  I also have some J5s, which I'm using at this very moment. After switching mid-song from the J3s, I found that the J5s were quite the opposite. They have very powerful bass, slightly overpowering at times, the high mids are a tad weak, and the treble starts to crackle a bit sometimes.

Some other little things I like/don't like about phones in general:
-I'd prefer a longer cord over a shorter one. Nothing worse than the buds being pulled out of your ear because the cable's too short.
-I'm not hugely bothered by microphonics in the cable, as long as they're not too bad.
-My J3s have a nylon (i think) coated cable and are relatively tangle free, which I love.
-My durability expectations for any set of IEMs in this price range is 6-8 months. I bring them with me to school every day, as well as whenever I'm in the car and I'm not driving, so they're gonna get used quite a lot. I do take good care of them though, I'm careful not to yank the cable or bend it too much at the jack. As long as the cable has good insulation (probably not the right word, but whatever) at pressure points such as the jack, it'll be fine for me. The last thing I want is to end up with another pair like those Skullcandy Ink'd buds I used to get that had gotten cheaper and cheaper in build quality to  the point where I went through 2 pairs in a month.
-I want good noise isolation, I don't like being disturbed when enjoying my music :p

After browsing Amazon and reading reviews and comparisons, I'm trying to decide between S4s and CX300Bs. Hopefully everything I wrote will give you a good idea of what sounds good to me, and be aware that I'm open to other suggestions if you think there's something better for me than the S4s or the CX300Bs.

I'm new to the forums too, but your post caught my eye because a) I'm a guitar player (and drummer) and b) I listen to a lot of the same music as you do.

I had the S4, but based on recommendations in this thread, bought the SoundMAGIC E10 and I love it. The other option for a similar price range is the Sony MH1C. The S4 has decent isolation, but after trying the E10, I could immediately spot the shortcomings of the S4. The bass is too overpowering and there's a lot of bleed I think. The first thing I listened to was Dream Theater, and it sounds head and shoulders better on the E10. The bass is powerful and punchy and the sound is much more balanced overall. I did notice a little more hiss though when they are plugged in and no music is playing.

The build quality seems better on the E10 than S4 but I haven't had them long enough to know of lifespan issues. I don't see why any IEMs should last you less than 6-8 months - in fact I'm sure the warranty should cover a year as standard (but I'm from the UK so may work differently).

Supposedly the flat cable and high positioning of controls are the most annoying thing about the MH1C, but everyone seems to love it for the price so I'd look at that too. There's definitely better options than the S4 - I'd stay away. In fact, they sound somewhat similar to the J5 from your description.

I used to have the old CX300 way back before the S4 and they sucked in terms of isolation, comfort, build quality for me.

Apr 15, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #3,794 of 5,364
Um.... guys.......nice to meet all of you.......

well, I've got a really good question that I wanted to ask from you all, that is which headphones do you like by comparing these?? @@

1) Parrot Zik ( heard that if you would adjust the equalizer from the app, these will sound a lot better)

2) Sony MDR-1RBT

3) Logitech UE 9000

I would be glad if anyone can share some experiences as I would like to choose one of these

Thank You For Your Cooperation Guys!!!
etysmile.gif

Apr 15, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #3,795 of 5,364
Quote:
Finished the previous replies here - http://www.head-fi.org/t/596233/buying-portable-or-in-ear-headphones-seeking-guidance-dont-start-a-new-thread-ask-for-advice-here/3780#post_9353062

Assuming ear canal refers to IEMs, it's been stated more than a couple of times on this thread that the earbud market is very sparse and generally ignored (mostly likely due to technical limitations - i.e. they will never achieve a proper acoustic seal and still sound good for portable usage). If you like warm and gooey mids the Yuins would be decent, build is rather bad though. Link to the ebay seller?

Bass-heavy, under 50 - though these have more balance, quantity is similar (just that the other frequencies aren't as pulled back) the M2s or the GR02 would have the mid-bass impact and texture. Something a bit more dark and aggressive would be the GR99. More emphasis on the subbass.

i meant i was looking for earbuds but i had people give me cx300ii type of earphones when i said earbuds so i thought that'd diffrentiate between buds. would you say there is a diffrence between a yuin pk2 and a cx300ii? and the seller on ebay http://myworld.ebay.com/bigbargainonline?_trksid=p2047675.l2559.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back