Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Apr 16, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #3,812 of 5,364
Hello.  Given my post count, I'm new here, so please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong.

I've come here for suggestions for headphones to wear while running.  I don't particularly care if they're IEMs, headphones, clip ons, or whatever.  I've owned ATH-M50 headphones for about two years now, and I'm quite fond of them.  I don't expect to get the same audio quality from my workout headphones as my ATH-M50s, but I don't want the difference to be too contrasting.  I don't do anything in terms of eq or amping, but wouldn't be opposed to starting.

The most important thing to me in a pair of workout headphones is comfort.  I plan on regularly jogging for 30 to 60 minutes with these.  Additionally, it's very important to me that they don't slip out or do anything else that affects the audio.

The next most important thing is sound quality.  I listen to mostly heavy metal (progressive, power, death, thrash), but also more recently drum & bass.  Also, I'm a drummer.  I'm not sure if any of that information is useful, but as I said, I'm quite fond of my ATH-M50 headphones.

As for price range, I'd prefer to stay under $150, and cheaper is better.

I'd be happy to provide any additional information.

Thanks

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #3,813 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello.  Given my post count, I'm new here, so please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong.

I've come here for suggestions for headphones to wear while running.  I don't particularly care if they're IEMs, headphones, clip ons, or whatever.  I've owned ATH-M50 headphones for about two years now, and I'm quite fond of them.  I don't expect to get the same audio quality from my workout headphones as my ATH-M50s, but I don't want the difference to be too contrasting.  I don't do anything in terms of eq or amping, but wouldn't be opposed to starting.

The most important thing to me in a pair of workout headphones is comfort.  I plan on regularly jogging for 30 to 60 minutes with these.  Additionally, it's very important to me that they don't slip out or do anything else that affects the audio.

The next most important thing is sound quality.  I listen to mostly heavy metal (progressive, power, death, thrash), but also more recently drum & bass.  Also, I'm a drummer.  I'm not sure if any of that information is useful, but as I said, I'm quite fond of my ATH-M50 headphones.

Thanks

Well, stretch that to $160-$170 and you can get some Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10s. Often called "TF10s". Come with Comply tips, which are pretty much the most comfortable out there. There is memory wire in the 3" before the IEM, so it hooks over and stays in well. Ultimate Ears discontinued the TF10 when they were bought by Logitech, but there are still a lot out there-hence the low price. It's a V-shaped sound sig, and if I remember right the M50s are as well. SQ is alright unamped, as with most IEMs. An amp would help though. Would almost certainly beat your M50s either way.
Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet.

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #3,814 of 5,364
Quote:
Well, stretch that to $160-$170 and you can get some Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10s. Often called "TF10s". Come with Comply tips, which are pretty much the most comfortable out there. There is memory wire in the 3" before the IEM, so it hooks over and stays in well. Ultimate Ears discontinued the TF10 when they were bought by Logitech, but there are still a lot out there-hence the low price. It's a V-shaped sound sig, and if I remember right the M50s are as well. SQ is alright unamped, as with most IEMs. An amp would help though. Would almost certainly beat your M50s either way.
Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet.

Yup. V shape sig here. TF10 will fit the sig perfectly. Except the comfort. I could not get a good fit when I was demoing them.

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #3,815 of 5,364
Quote:
Yup. V shape sig here. TF10 will fit the sig perfectly. Except the comfort. I could not get a good fit when I was demoing them.

Silicone or foam tips? Cable down or up? With the cable over your ears and Comply foamies, I've always loved them. What didn't you like?

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #3,816 of 5,364
Quote:
Silicone or foam tips? Cable down or up? With the cable over your ears and Comply foamies, I've always loved them. What didn't you like?

well, it was a quick demo with the foam tips with cables over and around the ears. It simply would not stay in my ears. I had to hold on to it while I was listening to it.

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #3,818 of 5,364
Quote:

Thanks

The Ultimate Ears will sound better than my recommendation; however, the Shure SE215 are fantastic for doing sports. I used to longboard and train with them and they'd never fall out. The sound is definitely a bit more colored in the mid-basses, but it's fun and forgiving; good for working out. I've sold them a while ago, but I'd say it's a good "lifestyle" in-ear.

Now if you're looking for sparkly/crisp highs, you won't be getting much with this earphone. I thought they did very well for the price with the small amount of metal I like (Tool, Dream Theater, Black Sabbath, Disturbed, Iron Maiden, etc... don't generally listen to metal 
redface.gif
). 

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 17, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #3,819 of 5,364
Hello. I have been reading reviews on this site for a while now. However, I have never posted anything on this forum, so I am sorry if I don't make much sense.

I'm going to buy a new set of in-ear headphones very soon, but I'm not really sure which ones to purchase. I currently use a pair of etymotic er-4p more than the other headphones I own, and I love the detail and clarity that they produce. For jazz and classical, I am going to continue to use the etymotic. However, I want to purchase a new iem for listening to hip hop and electronic music. I am trying to find an iem that is warmer than the etymotic, but still very clear, detailed, and smooth. I want it to have good bass impact as well. Also, I ride the train to work each morning, so isolation is very important. I mainly use headphones from my galaxy nexus, ipad 3, and mac mini.

I was originally going to purchase a pair of shure SE 215 LTD, but I read a couple reviews saying that they can lack detail and clarity that can be found in more expensive iems. Now, I am considering westone 3, westone um3x, maybe something else someone can think of. Still considering the 215 too, if someone can confirm that they are not muddy, or less clear than the westone 3. I would have purchased the westone 3 today, but I read a review on amazon that said they sound muddy but smooth. Is that statement accurate? That kinda put me off because I am looking for a warm bass iem, but with a clear sound. Also, are the westone um3x too flat to be considered a warm, "bassy" headphone? Is there another iem, not monster, that someone can suggest that is warm, clear, and has good bass impact for electronic music? Price range is between $50.00 to $350.00. Thanks!

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #3,820 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello. I have been reading reviews on this site for a while now. However, I have never posted anything on this forum, so I am sorry if I don't make much sense.

I'm going to buy a new set of in-ear headphones very soon, but I'm not really sure which ones to purchase. I currently use a pair of etymotic er-4p more than the other headphones I own, and I love the detail and clarity that they produce. For jazz and classical, I am going to continue to use the etymotic. However, I want to purchase a new iem for listening to hip hop and electronic music. I am trying to find an iem that is warmer than the etymotic, but still very clear, detailed, and smooth. I want it to have good bass impact as well. Also, I ride the train to work each morning, so isolation is very important. I mainly use headphones from my galaxy nexus, ipad 3, and mac mini.

I was originally going to purchase a pair of shure SE 215 LTD, but I read a couple reviews saying that they can lack detail and clarity that can be found in more expensive iems. Now, I am considering westone 3, westone um3x, maybe something else someone can think of. Still considering the 215 too, if someone can confirm that they are not muddy, or less clear than the westone 3. I would have purchased the westone 3 today, but I read a review on amazon that said they sound muddy but smooth. Is that statement accurate? That kinda put me off because I am looking for a warm bass iem, but with a clear sound. Also, are the westone um3x too flat to be considered a warm, "bassy" headphone? Is there another iem, not monster, that someone can suggest that is warm, clear, and has good bass impact for electronic music? Price range is between $50.00 to $350.00. Thanks!

Get the IE80's (or IE8's for very cheap for that matter). Those will sound amazing with electronic/ hip hop music; they're definitely bass heavy. I prefer the IE80's over the W3. 

Best advice is to compare them prior to buying if it's possible.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 17, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #3,821 of 5,364
Quote:
Um.... guys.......nice to meet all of you.......

well, I've got a really good question that I wanted to ask from you all, that is which headphones do you like by comparing these?? @@

1) Parrot Zik ( heard that if you would adjust the equalizer from the app, these will sound a lot better)

2) Sony MDR-1RBT

3) Logitech UE 9000

I would be glad if anyone can share some experiences as I would like to choose one of these

Thank You For Your Cooperation Guys!!!
etysmile.gif

Not having heard the Zik, but I've been getting into the habit of going into the Sony store during my time off for a couple of quick listens. Asides from the BT thing the MDR-1R and the BT version sound almost identical when wired so will go off from impressions out of those since I didn't bother ABing the two. 

The UE9000s are about the smoothness, simple as that. Mids are warm and pleasant. The Sonys take a middle road and give smoothness but just enough clarity that it isn't overwhelming. 

It'd be more helpful if you specified sound/sig preferences, genre preferences, comfort, isolation, etc, so we'd know where to start off. Unless you just want complete comparisons. In which case, not familiar enough with either to do so comfortably.

Quote:
i meant i was looking for earbuds but i had people give me cx300ii type of earphones when i said earbuds so i thought that'd diffrentiate between buds. would you say there is a diffrence between a yuin pk2 and a cx300ii? and the seller on ebay http://myworld.ebay.com/bigbargainonline?_trksid=p2047675.l2559.

It looks a bit suspicious but feedback is good so I don't know what to think. 

Difference in sound sig (of course they'd be different as they are different paradigms as well as different earphones all together)? I'm not sure what you're trying to ask here.

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I have been a regular visitor to Head-Fi for past couple of years, mostly to see what is happening in the world of audio and I really think you guys are quite knowledgeable bunch of folks around. 

So this time I decided to join as I need help with deciding which in-ear headphones to buy. First of all, I like listening to music but I am just a student so don't have big budget to invest too much.

What I Use Currently:
My current setup was Sony MDREX50LPB (link:http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004MPQ7OM/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1) which I have been using for well over 8 months now and they still sound amazing; paired with Samsung HS3000 Bluetooth Stereo Headset (link:http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004XYI998/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1as my day includes 3hours journey in London Underground so this way there were no wires that could get tangled in someone's bag that I had to worry about. But I accidently ripped the clip off my Samsung headset and now I cant use it. There were some pros and cons with the setup.

Pros: No loose wires, reasonably good sound, 
Cons: the sony headphones suffer from some pretty bad sound leakage, hence i used to keep the volume below 20% 

Scenario:
I recently bought a Nexus 4 and for some odd reason they didn't come with any handsfree. Now I want to buy a pair of headphones with mic so I can dump the now broken Samsung bluetooth & leaky Sony MDREX50s. I am willing to compromise for wired in-ear headphones ( I tried Phillips Shibuya recently but returned them promptly as although they sounded great, they were letting too much sound in + I didn't felt comfy) so anyways, I have been looking on Amazon UK & my price range is upto 30£.  Below is a list of potential candidates, I would be glad if you can help me in deciding. 

My requirements, in short:

* In-ear headphones with mic
* must not leak terrible amount of music.
* music preferences: rock, alternate, dance, jazz
* hates: too much bass
* reliable, shouldn't fall apart within weeks

Shortlist: (in no particular order)

a. SoundMAGIC MP21
http://www.amazon.co.uk/SoundMAGIC-MP21-Earphones-Mic-iPhone/dp/B003VJKMD2/ref=pd_ybh_1

b
Sony MDREX38IPB.CE7
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDREX38IPB-CE7-Headphones-In-Line-Control/dp/B002TWDHXY/ref=pd_ybh_8

c. MEElectronics M6P
http://www.amazon.co.uk/MEElectronics-sports-earphone-inline-remote/dp/B003VTZPO8/ref=pd_ybh_9

d. Philips SHE8005/10
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-SHE8005-10-In-Ear-Headset/dp/B004NROUSE/ref=pd_ybh_11

Budget Stretcher, Bonus entry:

Sennheiser MM30i
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-MM-30i-Ear-Canal-Headset/dp/B004HD4L2E/ref=pd_ybh_22

I know its too much to ask for my budget, but just see if you can point me in the right direction. :/ 

Open to other choices? None of the choices are really that strong in terms of clarity and non-excessive bass.

The E30 does balance and clarity very well, and build, usability, and low leakage is done fairly well as well. ~35 on amazon.uk, from what I remember.

Quote:
Hi all! I've been using this site for a while now (usually the place i come to for headphone reviews etc.) so thought i'd post and ask for some advice.

i currently have a pair of Brainwavz M2s and have had them for around a year now. i bought them on recommendation from Joker's headphone comparison thread, i really like the sound signature but i'd like to upgrade soon if it's still financially possible.

i've had my eye on:
- HiSoundAudio crystal
- Phonak Audéo Perfect Bass 01
- HiFiMan RE-400 waterline (found some for a great price)

I mainly listen to electronic music (deep house, techno, progressive, trance) and prefer a warm sound (my M2s have a warm sound that i enjoy) and not too much bass (i had some CX300s before the M2s and i found the bass a bit too overbearing). Can anyone recommend any of the 3 that i mentioned? which would be the better alternative for my music tastes? 

Any help is much appreciated :)

Have not heard the Crystal but the other two are nowhere near as warm, or as satisfying electronic-wise as with the M2s. They are quite bassy already, so quite a bit of loss in quantity. RE-400s would be the warmer out of the two and ample texture/similar note presentation (in fact apart from the bass, tonality isn't totally far off), just not nearly as dark as well.

I don't really see much need for an upgrade if those are the choices, maybe the RE-400 in the end, but would look at the IE800 (TDKs not the Senns) or the FXZ100 while you're at it.

Quote:
I'm looking for earphones at a 50-100 price range , I listen to rnb, rap and hip hop mostly , I listen to music everyday for a long period of times and I need suggestions for earphones / iems thanks.and I'm used to listing to Sony and klipsch earphones so it would be nice for other brands as long as they are good and worth the money .

Genre are helpful but stating sound/sig preferences would be immensely more so. Also stating preference in terms of comfort, isolation, build, etc, would be rather helpful as well, but I'd place a rather large emphasis on sound/sig preferences..

Quote:
I'm searching to replace my decrypted Shure SCL2s that are finally going out on me after 4 years. I've narrowed it down to the SE215s and the GR07s. Are the VSonics worth the extra money?

I listen to a wide variety of music (Rap, rock [RHCP, Muse, AC/DC, RATM, Joe Satriani] metal, alternative, electronic, occasionally some classical) and I hear the VSonics do that well. I'm looking for some improved bass performance (seeing as my SCLs have none).

Any other recommendations? Or would the 07s be the choice?

Definitely more texture/detailing, pretty much an improvement overall. The SE215 is an improvement from the SCL2 bass-wise, qualitatively and quantitatively, but nowhere near as technical as with the VSonics. 

There are other options but for the most part (and to keep things simply and less confusing), keeping comparisons between the two might be more ideal.

Quote:
How does the clarity of a detail oriented Iem like the westone 4 compare to a planar magnetic headphone such as the he-400's?

Nowhere as tactile (the only IEM that gets anywhere within the boundaries of planar tactility would be MAs like the eQ-5), not to mention the W4s aren't exactly "detail" oriented in the grand scheme of things. As well, the signatures of the two are completely the antithesis of one another. Comparisons would be rather futile due to the disparity. 

Quote:
Hi Head-Fi Community,

I’m Ken, 29 years old, from Manila, Philippines. I’m new here and I’m a Headphone/Earphone newbie.

So I need your advice on my first set of decent Earphones that I will be getting ASAP.

·         1 (one) In-Earphone ($100 - $200 price max) – My main (Home & Office) will be a Headphone. This IEM will be used for travel/commute/outdoors. It's hot here and difficult to commute so I guess In-ear is cooler, lighter, and more durable for travel/outdoors.
·         1 (one) Sports In-Earphone ($100 price max) – I want to start being healthy this year J.
I listen mostly to Progressive Rock/Metal (Dream Theater, Symphony X), Guitar Instrumentals (Marco Sfogli, Andy James), Blues Rock (Led Zep, Joe Bonamassa), Melodic Hard Rock (Mr. Big, Journey), and Motion Picture/Epic Music (Hans Zimmer etc…) to name a few of my genre and taste.
Could you please recommend me what you think are the best HP/EP for my price range and preferences? I’m a serious music/audio listener but that’s what I can afford considering my location and work. Where I’m from, it’s hard to test due to the limited options/stocks; let alone buy one because the prices are inflated ridiculously – that’s why I chose to buy online but risk the repair and warranty.
I’m looking for:
1.      Audio Quality
2.      Comfort
3.      Durability
I could go for recommendations beyond my price range above, but I think if it’s too expensive, I may have to buy in “Used” condition. Do you recommend buying “Used”?
I have a friend whose business is shipping from the US to Phil so I have no problems buying online from the US since I get discounts from her.
I really appreciate your taking the time to help, and make the audiophile community a better world.
Thanks for your time and help.
Sincerely,

Ken

1) Genres are helpful but stating sound/sig preferences would be even more so. But for preliminary recs (i.e. extremely limited due to lack of information on sound preferences) the GR07 does rock justice, very dynamic, very balanced, yet very articulate. Durability is fairly nice on these.
2) For the sport IEM, would go cheap and stick to something sweat-resistant (-ish) like the M6 or otherwise.

But again, stating sound preferences would be immensely helpful in the long run.

Quote:
Hi all,

I'm not a huge audiophile all though I do appreciate good sound.  I have even built a dot MK3 amp, however; I tend to not be all that active when it comes to keeping up with the latest and greatest in audio equipment.  

*I'm not trying to provide a review for any of the products I mention.  I'm just trying to use language that will get across the type of headphone I'm looking for compared to what I have used already.

Problem: I need some help with my portable set up.

I used to have a Sansa Clip (V2, rockboxed), Headstage Arrow amp, and Etymotic ER-4P, but recently upgraded to a hisoundaudio Nova N3 player (to replace the clip in my portable set up).  I really love the improved clarity and soundstage of the N3 when compared to the clip; however, some of the music I listen seems to "feel" underpowered.  The low end (snare, drums and guitar for metal music and EDM music in general) have lost some of the impact that I loved with my Sana Clip set up.

*Note: I love my new setup.  Neko Case has never sounded better and metal does sound good though this setup, but when I'm doing something strenuous (like at the gym) I miss the "oomph" that was present in my old setup.

Failed Solution: 

I read some threads here and some reviews elsewhere and thought that Future Sonics MG7 would give my back the low end in my portable set up.  So I purchased some, but they aren't what I'm looking for.  While it is true that they add more bass, I can't find any thing else positive to say about them.  They fit terrible (I'm use to the very secure fit of my er-4p's), the bass is muddy (a kick drum sounds more like a boomy "thud" rather than a satisfying "bump"), the mids sound hallow, and the sound stage is super narrow.  

To be fair I think that my opinion would be better of these headphones if they fit better, but I can't seem to get them far enough into my ears.  Sometimes if I really try to jam them in my ear the ear tip gets kinked and then my headphone turns into an earplug.  

What I'm looking for:

I have some Denon AH-D2000's that are hooked up to my computer (I use them mostly for games and movies).  When I plug my Denon's into my new portable setup I really like how they sound.  They aren't quite as clear as my ER-4P's but the bass is more powerful and the clarity/sound stage isn't sacrificed that much.  

- I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for an IEM that sounds similar to my AH-D2000's.
- I would really appreciate a detachable cord as I have rebuilt the cable on my ER4-P's many times (DIY oxygen free, silver plated, teflon      coated cables).

* One final note:  I really enjoy how PAA-1 headphones sound that came with my hisoundauido Nova N3 player.  They aren't as clear as my Denon's, the mids sound a bit hallow and I would prefer a bit more isolation, but they sound surprisingly good.

My price point is less than $300.

D2000-like, <$300, detachable cable - while the 3.Ai might come close practicality-wise, the mid-bass bump doesn't help its case much. Treble has similar sparkle, mids aren't as drawn back as the Atrios, a slight boost in warmth though the sterility of the upper mids and tone of the treble balances it out. But again, the emphasis is on the mid-bass rather than the subbass with the Denons. There's also the W3 which boasts quite a nice stage size and rather transparent mids. Tonality is similar, but again more midbass than subbass compared to the Denons.

TBH, it'll be hard to find an exact match and there's going to be some sacrifices being made. For the most part the above two mentioned might do. 

Quote:

Thanks

M50-like (would be helpful if you could tell us what in particular you like about them), running IEMs, <$150 - The FXD80s have a colder, but still reminiscent tonality. Grab a pair of sporthooks or make your own DIY for over-ear usage, and they'd play rather well for exercise. Some have seal problems with them though I find them to not be problematic at all. Another warmer, but otherwise similarly voiced options would be the XBA-3.

Quote:

h

$50-350, warm, but clear and smooth, good bass impact, isolates - but first to address your concerns - 
1) The SE215 do lack a bit of detail in exchange for that lushness of note. 
2) W3s have a bit of warm in the lower mids, but quickly disappears, revealing quite a clear and transparent midrange. Very much a understated quality of these. The overwhelming bass deters from the natural clarity at times, and perceptually it can get dense. 
3) The UM3X has a bunch of power to it, very much a warm and powerful bass. Not extremely clear though and the tonality/presentation might not be best for electronic, although I'm not sure how you like your electronic anyways.

Other than that, my pitch would be for the BA200. A slight emphasis in bass from the ER4, very much fun and enjoyable, but also great smoothness, linearity and balance across the board. Smooth like the UM3X but seperation/presentation won't be as jarring (personal anecdote - listening to a Kode9 track known for it's rather mixed and congestion within tracks, the UM3X basically dissected them to the point where everything seemed disparate and the tracks lost a lot of it's initial effect. Sometimes they can do wonders with electronic, sometimes they manage to weird up the whole experience - again, personal anecdote so take it in stride.)

Apr 17, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #3,822 of 5,364
I'm looking for a couple of pairs of headphones...

First, for myself. I've been using the bundled buds from my Clip+, but they've developed a loose connection in one ear, so I'm looking for something to replace them.
Either buds, or portables. Not IEMs - I already have Ety's (for maximum isolation) and SoundMagic PL30 (for less isolation but more comfort). As far as sound signature - something fairly balanced, I like my PL30 & ATH-AD700.

Second, for my wife. Comfort is the top priority. She finds buds uncomfortable after a while, & won't even try IEMs. Sound signature... I don't know, strong mid-range I think? She's definitely a non-audiophile, so anything that isn't either boomy or tinny should be fine.

In both cases, I'd like to minimise cost.

Suggestions? :)

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #3,823 of 5,364
5 or 6 years ago I bought my super fi 5 pros and for all this time they have served me well.  Unfortunately, the pin holes have expanded creating a far less secure fit and the casing has also cracked! So.. on to the next one! 

I am looking for an upgrade. I have considered sticking with UE and picking up the UE 900 or trying something different and going with the Heir 3.ai or maybe even the 4.ai after reading some less then enthusiastic reviews on the little brother, particularly the "muddy sound" and less then impressive separation. 

I am open to suggestions and willing to drop up to $400. 
I do have a few must haves: 
- Removable/replaceable cords
- Dynamic and quick responsive bass (Doesn't have to be boomy)
- Something more ergonomic than the Super Fi Pros (which shouldn't be hard)
- An IEM that can work well with a wide range of music (I am a DJ and I can't stick to one type) including Hip hop, Rock, Pop, Electronic, and Jazz and the most widely played genres. 

Any suggestions for a long time reader and newby poster? 

Apr 18, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #3,824 of 5,364
Finished updating the previous multi-quote - post #3823

Quote:
5 or 6 years ago I bought my super fi 5 pros and for all this time they have served me well.  Unfortunately, the pin holes have expanded creating a far less secure fit and the casing has also cracked! So.. on to the next one! 

I am looking for an upgrade. I have considered sticking with UE and picking up the UE 900 or trying something different and going with the Heir 3.ai or maybe even the 4.ai after reading some less then enthusiastic reviews on the little brother, particularly the "muddy sound" and less then impressive separation. 

I am open to suggestions and willing to drop up to $400. 
I do have a few must haves: 
- Removable/replaceable cords
- Dynamic and quick responsive bass (Doesn't have to be boomy)
- Something more ergonomic than the Super Fi Pros (which shouldn't be hard)
- An IEM that can work well with a wide range of music (I am a DJ and I can't stick to one type) including Hip hop, Rock, Pop, Electronic, and Jazz and the most widely played genres. 

Any suggestions for a long time reader and newby poster? 

Does sound like the UE900 from description. TBH UIEMs haven't been getting replaceable cable models released so choices aren't as diverse as it might first seem. The 900s are very quick of note and tactile/punchy. Dynamics and technical performance overall is stupendous. Ergonomics are...well, you said it yourself. They are fairly linear and balanced, rather good all round except for maybe female vocals.

Quote:
I'm looking for a couple of pairs of headphones...

First, for myself. I've been using the bundled buds from my Clip+, but they've developed a loose connection in one ear, so I'm looking for something to replace them.
Either buds, or portables. Not IEMs - I already have Ety's (for maximum isolation) and SoundMagic PL30 (for less isolation but more comfort). As far as sound signature - something fairly balanced, I like my PL30 & ATH-AD700.

Second, for my wife. Comfort is the top priority. She finds buds uncomfortable after a while, & won't even try IEMs. Sound signature... I don't know, strong mid-range I think? She's definitely a non-audiophile, so anything that isn't either boomy or tinny should be fine.

In both cases, I'd like to minimise cost.

Suggestions? :)

1) Buds, balance - if the budget is lenient enough would go with a MX880 or something along the lines of that. Would have suggested the EarPods at first but then the PL30 came up so you'd probably find them to be a bit excessive in the bass.
2) Headphone, comfort, mid-range - not sure of the budget, but you could test the waters with some HD449s and see how it goes from there?

Apr 18, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #3,825 of 5,364
First a list of headphones and IEMs I have owned.

Headphones

Audio Technica A900 (loved it, my first full size headphones, using  it right now)

Denon D7000 (really really loved it, but for some reason hasn't seen much use)

Beyerdynamic DT 990 (don't like it, don't know why, everything sounds recessed)

IEMS

Shure SE215 (first $100+ audio equipment purchase, loved it, it was miles better than anything I had before)

Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 (The best in-ears I have ever listened to, I haven't listened to much, but this is my reference for everything, gave it to my brother)

Klipsch S4 (replacement for the UEs, but did not like it much, better than the Shures, but did not like it all that much)

Sony XBA 3 (found them to be a little flat, did not like them much, thought they would be like the UEs, but they weren't)

Equipment

iPod connected to a Fiio E7 for portable (looking to upgrade one of these days to a HP-P1) (Tried to like other DAPs, but just couldn't, I like the feel of iPods too much)

Shciit Bifrost to a Schiit Lyr for desktop

Type of Music I Listen To

Trance, Dubstep, DnB, Liquid DnB (50%)

Rock, Alt Rock, Indie Rock (40%)

Don't know genre, a mix of everything else (10%)

Quality of Music Files

Everything at least 320kbps

25%-30% of collection in FLAC

My Location

Toronto, Canada

List of CIEMS That Interest Me

Jerry Harvey Audio JH16 Pro

Heir Audio 8.A

Unique Melody Miracle/Merlin

Westone ES5

My Understanding

I do not like flat analytical sounds. I know everyone is usually on the quest for the most neutral sound, I do not like it. I really like "fun" sounds. And I really like my bass. Not so much that it overpowers everything else, I just like its presence. I do not like boomy or flabby bass though, it needs control. I do not like bright (which I take to mean sibilance) sounds. It hurts my ears, and does thing funny thing in the front of my head. A feeling that I do not like. As I have stated, I absolutely loved the UE TripleFi 10s, they sound amazing to me. I thought it had great bass. I understand that my exposure to all things audio is extremely low, and my understanding of these things is even lower. That is why I am asking for your help in figuring out what would be the best choice for me. I am looking for guidelines.

I would love to try out any of these customs that I have been looking at, but I do not know of any shop or place here where I can try them out. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for reading all of this.

Did I miss any CIEMs I should be looking at?

(Sorry for the double post, did not realize there was a dedicated thread for asking for help)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back