Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Apr 18, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #3,826 of 5,364
Quote:

Open to other choices? None of the choices are really that strong in terms of clarity and non-excessive bass.

The E30 does balance and clarity very well, and build, usability, and low leakage is done fairly well as well. ~35 on amazon.uk, from what I remember.

Hi TwinQY,

I wanted IEMs that come with mic so I went ahead and ordered Philips SHE3595 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-SHE3595BK-00-In-Ear-Headset/dp/B007UOZFRW/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1366277452&sr=1-2&keywords=Philips+SHE3595) which are actually SHE3590/80 just with a microphone.

They did get some rave reviews about them for the price on Head-Fi, decided on them after reading Joe Bloggs review of 3580. Lets see how it goes. Fingers crossed. Thanks though for getting back, really appreciate your effort.

Apr 18, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #3,827 of 5,364
Quote:
First a list of headphones and IEMs I have owned.

Headphones

Audio Technica A900 (loved it, my first full size headphones, using  it right now)

Denon D7000 (really really loved it, but for some reason hasn't seen much use)

Beyerdynamic DT 990 (don't like it, don't know why, everything sounds recessed)

IEMS

Shure SE215 (first $100+ audio equipment purchase, loved it, it was miles better than anything I had before)

Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 (The best in-ears I have ever listened to, I haven't listened to much, but this is my reference for everything, gave it to my brother)

Klipsch S4 (replacement for the UEs, but did not like it much, better than the Shures, but did not like it all that much)

Sony XBA 3 (found them to be a little flat, did not like them much, thought they would be like the UEs, but they weren't)

Equipment

iPod connected to a Fiio E7 for portable (looking to upgrade one of these days to a HP-P1) (Tried to like other DAPs, but just couldn't, I like the feel of iPods too much)

Shciit Bifrost to a Schiit Lyr for desktop

Type of Music I Listen To

Trance, Dubstep, DnB, Liquid DnB (50%)

Rock, Alt Rock, Indie Rock (40%)

Don't know genre, a mix of everything else (10%)

Quality of Music Files

Everything at least 320kbps

25%-30% of collection in FLAC

My Location

Toronto, Canada

List of CIEMS That Interest Me

Jerry Harvey Audio JH16 Pro

Heir Audio 8.A

Unique Melody Miracle/Merlin

Westone ES5

My Understanding

I do not like flat analytical sounds. I know everyone is usually on the quest for the most neutral sound, I do not like it. I really like "fun" sounds. And I really like my bass. Not so much that it overpowers everything else, I just like its presence. I do not like boomy or flabby bass though, it needs control. I do not like bright (which I take to mean sibilance) sounds. It hurts my ears, and does thing funny thing in the front of my head. A feeling that I do not like. As I have stated, I absolutely loved the UE TripleFi 10s, they sound amazing to me. I thought it had great bass. I understand that my exposure to all things audio is extremely low, and my understanding of these things is even lower. That is why I am asking for your help in figuring out what would be the best choice for me. I am looking for guidelines.

I would love to try out any of these customs that I have been looking at, but I do not know of any shop or place here where I can try them out. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for reading all of this.

Did I miss any CIEMs I should be looking at?

(Sorry for the double post, did not realize there was a dedicated thread for asking for help)

Hi ! 

First of all, from what CIEM I've heard, none of all are bad in instrument separation and all frequencies are respected. The presentation, the place of the instrument, and the signature are the big variables, quality in separation is, fortunately, almost the same at this level. 
The bass of the JH16 is great, thick and quick, that get depth, but take not so much space like on the EarSonics EM4. It is a very fun CIEM, with plenty of details, but it lacks a little in harmony.
The JH13 is very good too, bass are more contained, and the space is lesser than with the JH16. To my mind it is a little bit more immersive. 

I have an EarSonics EM4 and many people are saying that it is near from the Heir 8.A, that I don't know. The EM4 have a very liquid presentation with very liquid treble, the bass are depth, as depth as the JH16, but more contained, less than the JH13. I totaly agree in the overall with the Average Joe's review. 

Did you read his Multi-custom IEM comparison and review ? 

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #3,828 of 5,364
Hello Head-Fi'ers! This is my 1st post here, so please be forgiving 
smily_headphones1.gif
 I'm looking for IEMs and after reading some reviews and comparisons I've selected 3: HifiMan Re-262 + Fiio E11, HifiMan Re-272 and VSonic GR07. My question is which of those would be best for me if I'm listening to Rock and using iPhone 4 as a source?

Apr 18, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #3,830 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello Head-Fi'ers! This is my 1st post here, so please be forgiving 
smily_headphones1.gif
 I'm looking for IEMs and after reading some reviews and comparisons I've selected 3: HifiMan Re-262 + Fiio E11, HifiMan Re-272 and VSonic GR07. My question is which of those would be best for me if I'm listening to Rock and using iPhone 4 as a source?

How do you like your rock to be presented? Any preference or priorities? As mentioned the GR07s are highly dynamic (no pun intended against the actual dynamic drivers) and fast, with an energetic enough sort of tonality that make things positively sing. Drums have amazing texture and impact, just enough emphasis to keep things highly technical and lively. But of course we don't all share the same preferences and you might like your rock more subdued. You might be more along the lines of a post-rock fan (i.e. me). We'll never know unless you can provide us with more info.

Apr 19, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #3,832 of 5,364
Quote:
Get the IE80's (or IE8's for very cheap for that matter). Those will sound amazing with electronic/ hip hop music; they're definitely bass heavy. I prefer the IE80's over the W3. 

Best advice is to compare them prior to buying if it's possible.

Thanks dleblan343, great recommendation. Is there a particular reason why you prefer the IE80 over the W3? This is a random question, but this is in regards to the fact that you can adjust the sound on each monitor. This is hard to describe, but I'm wondering if the turnable "thingy" inside each monitor has set notches. If I turn the device inside the hole, will it click into a fixed spot? That way I know how many "clicks" I turned it to the right or to the left. Or, does the device just smoothly turn, and there is no way to know if both sides are in the exact same position? I am OCD and I'm kinda scared that I will go crazy thinking that one side is adjusted to a different sound than the other. I'm the type of person that ties his shoes a few times because one side is tighter than the other haha. Thanks again for the response.  Oh, and GO SHARKS!

Quote:

$50-350, warm, but clear and smooth, good bass impact, isolates - but first to address your concerns - 
1) The SE215 do lack a bit of detail in exchange for that lushness of note. 
2) W3s have a bit of warm in the lower mids, but quickly disappears, revealing quite a clear and transparent midrange. Very much a understated quality of these. The overwhelming bass deters from the natural clarity at times, and perceptually it can get dense. 
3) The UM3X has a bunch of power to it, very much a warm and powerful bass. Not extremely clear though and the tonality/presentation might not be best for electronic, although I'm not sure how you like your electronic anyways.

Other than that, my pitch would be for the BA200. A slight emphasis in bass from the ER4, very much fun and enjoyable, but also great smoothness, linearity and balance across the board. Smooth like the UM3X but seperation/presentation won't be as jarring (personal anecdote - listening to a Kode9 track known for it's rather mixed and congestion within tracks, the UM3X basically dissected them to the point where everything seemed disparate and the tracks lost a lot of it's initial effect. Sometimes they can do wonders with electronic, sometimes they manage to weird up the whole experience - again, personal anecdote so take it in stride.)

Thanks TwinQY for all the information and your input. I didn't even know the BA200 existed prior to your recommendation lol. But, I'm definitely putting them in the running now. I don't know if you have listened to the UE6000, but the way you describe the W3, it almost seems like the W3 has a similar sound signature to the UE6000. Is that an accurate assessment? I own a pair of UE6000 and really love the sound. Also, how is the soundstage on the W3 compared to the BA200? Thanks again for all of the information, it was very helpful. Going to go read some reviews of the BA200 now.

Apr 19, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #3,833 of 5,364
Quote:

Thanks TwinQY for all the information and your input. I didn't even know the BA200 existed prior to your recommendation lol. But, I'm definitely putting them in the running now. I don't know if you have listened to the UE6000, but the way you describe the W3, it almost seems like the W3 has a similar sound signature to the UE6000. Is that an accurate assessment? I own a pair of UE6000 and really love the sound. Also, how is the soundstage on the W3 compared to the BA200? Thanks again for all of the information, it was very helpful. Going to go read some reviews of the BA200 now.

UE6000 similar to the W3 - not so IMO. The Westones are quite a bit more sparkly and cooler in tone (hate using cool as a qualifier but it is what it is). 

Staging - lateral size goes to the W3 as depth is better off. Though the BA200s boast a bit more width and tracks aren't as dissonant and all over the place. Both get that scene of immersiveness just in different ways.

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I'm into classic rock and I'd rather have dynamic sound. So you think GR07 should be a good choice for me?

In that case, most definitely. Can't think of any other alternative that comes close.

Apr 19, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #3,835 of 5,364
Hello guys i'm newbie in this IEM world

would like to ask some question regarding what i soudl choose for my next IEM. currently i'm using UE TF 10 and Alessandro MS1 for my portable use,
now i need recommendation for my nest IEM, and below is i want to look for :

1, IEM with good vocal, wide soundstage, good for private listening, great mid and high, and not too dry, and with great detail

2. it need to be comfort, and recently i didnt have prob regarding universal IEM i have tried

3. i'm not a bass head, need a deep and punchy bass but not too over. also i prefer IEM with good isolation

4. i'm listening to pop (40%) jazz (20%) and any other kind of music (40%)

plese recommend me some IEM, and my budget is under $350 :D
maybe stretching a little would be acceptable :D

thanks guys :D

Apr 19, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #3,836 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello guys i'm newbie in this IEM world

would like to ask some question regarding what i soudl choose for my next IEM. currently i'm using UE TF 10 and Alessandro MS1 for my portable use,
now i need recommendation for my nest IEM, and below is i want to look for :

1, IEM with good vocal, wide soundstage, good for private listening, great mid and high, and not too dry, and with great detail

2. it need to be comfort, and recently i didnt have prob regarding universal IEM i have tried

3. i'm not a bass head, need a deep and punchy bass but not too over. also i prefer IEM with good isolation

4. i'm listening to pop (40%) jazz (20%) and any other kind of music (40%)

plese recommend me some IEM, and my budget is under $350 :D
maybe stretching a little would be acceptable :D

thanks guys :D

Wide stage, good detail, comfortable, deep and punchy, isolates, good vocals, under $350 - you are literally describe the sound signature of the BA200s in their entirety. Not much else needs to be said as any qualities I might have needed to describe has already been done so by the criteria stated. Thinking of other alternatives like the W4 and TBH the TDKs would probably suit you better still. I'm only very occasionally  ecstatic about a reccomendation but in this case the criteria fits so perfectly, it's almost artistically fulfilling in a way.

Apr 19, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #3,837 of 5,364
Quote:
Wide stage, good detail, comfortable, deep and punchy, isolates, good vocals, under $350 - you are literally describe the sound signature of the BA200s in their entirety. Not much else needs to be said as any qualities I might have needed to describe has already been done so by the criteria stated. Thinking of other alternatives like the W4 and TBH the TDKs would probably suit you better still. I'm only very occasionally  ecstatic about a reccomendation but in this case the criteria fits so perfectly, it's almost artistically fulfilling in a way.

woah i have the same thinking regarding to BA 200. read the review and i'm like "yes this thing is for me"

but recently it's really so hard to find BA 200 in my country. considering the rare occasion, i need another 2 or 3 alternatives

going around this forum , what do you think about ortofon E-Q7 or ATH CK 100? i know it's out of my budget but i heard those 2 have a very good voca and great mids?

Apr 19, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #3,838 of 5,364
Quote:
woah i have the same thinking regarding to BA 200. read the review and i'm like "yes this thing is for me"

but recently it's really so hard to find BA 200 in my country. considering the rare occasion, i need another 2 or 3 alternatives

going around this forum , what do you think about ortofon E-Q7 or ATH CK 100? i know it's out of my budget but i heard those 2 have a very good voca and great mids?

I'm so stuck on you and the BA200s it's hard for me to wrap my head around anything else being an alternative :p

But to be serious, would take the eQ-5s over the older model for obvious reasons. Very tactile and beautiful mids. Only problem would have been the treble, stage width, comfort. Otherwise they do their thing and they do it quite well. CK100s are well known for being picky and transparent with everything across the chain. Mids are great but the bass punch isn't as enjoyable as say the other two.

Apr 19, 2013 at 6:14 AM Post #3,839 of 5,364
Quote:
I'm so stuck on you and the BA200s it's hard for me to wrap my head around anything else being an alternative :p

But to be serious, would take the eQ-5s over the older model for obvious reasons. Very tactile and beautiful mids. Only problem would have been the treble, stage width, comfort. Otherwise they do their thing and they do it quite well. CK100s are well known for being picky and transparent with everything across the chain. Mids are great but the bass punch isn't as enjoyable as say the other two.

ahahaha little desperate here to find BA 200 *sigh

btw i just realized you ava, and that why i mentioned i mostly listened to pop (40%) for K-Pop especially GG
tongue_smile.gif

so your recommend the E-Q5 at least for alternative?

any other brand maybe? how about sennhaiser IE8? or maybe Ety's? or maybe Sony's?

damn confused
confused.gif

Apr 19, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #3,840 of 5,364
Quote:
ahahaha little desperate here to find BA 200 *sigh

btw i just realized you ava, and that why i mentioned i mostly listened to pop (40%) for K-Pop especially GG
tongue_smile.gif

so your recommend the E-Q5 at least for alternative?

any other brand maybe? how about sennhaiser IE8? or maybe Ety's? or maybe Sony's?

damn confused
confused.gif

Would keep it simple and stick to researching a few options rather than overload your head off the bat. Despite being able to get suggestions here it's always helpful/advised that people do some in-depth research as well, before plunging in on a buy (reading the impressions/appreciation thread, etc). 

TBH I mostly listen to ballads and K-indie/oldies in terms of Korean music. But for modern stuff either the Ortos or the TDKs would be very much sufferable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back