Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Feb 16, 2012 at 6:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5,364
Since we have a thread like this in the full-size forum, I've decided to start one in the portable forum as well.  The below is based on what olor1n posted in his thread.

If you're new to Head-Fi and are seeking advice, hopefully this thread will assist you in making an informed decision.

Head-Fiers are generally happy to help and can draw on a wealth of experience to shed light on a question. All you need to do is give us some context, so please outline some parameters like budget, music preferences, open or closed design, amped or unamped etc. Help us, to help you!

If this thread serves its intended purpose (and I encourage all members to help in this by referring people here), it should inform future members who'll no doubt formulate the same questions. So ask away.

Oh, and welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet.

Note that this thread is for portable and in-ear headphones (buds, IEMs). Don't forget there is a forum for full-sized headphones with a similar thread.

Also, please read the last few pages before posting. Searching the site at large can yield strange results but try searching THIS THREAD with relevant terms like genre and price. It's likely an answer posted to a similar question may set you on the right path.

Some useful links:

REVIEW: 20 Headphones Compared

[review/comparison] Beyerdynamic DT1350, T50p, Sennheiser HD25-1-ii, HD25-13-ii, Pioneer...

Closed Cans Shootout: M-50, ESW-9, T50P, HD25-1, Beats Studio, SRH-840, SRH-750DJ, K181DJ, and DJ1Pro. | Headfonia

Shootout: 63 Portable Headphones Reviewed

Multi-IEM Review - 131 IEMS compared

Multi-Custom-IEM review

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #2 of 5,364
Okey let me be the first one to ask for suggestions. 

i currently have the se210 and i like them but the cable is almost broken so need a new iem. 
i have a iPhone as a source and i listen to all kind of music. 

i am thinking to buy the se215 or the se315, but will it be a step backwards if i buy the se215 because it has a dynamic driver? 

And please only suggest other iem if they have a detachable cable.
And my budget wil be about €170 

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #4 of 5,364

Quote:
I haven't heard the options you mention, but wanted to say that dynamic drivers aren't always worse than armatures. Dynamics can bring extra energy and excitement. What did you like and not like about the 210s?

sorry but i can't tell you what i like about them, because i dont know it :S 
at least i couldn't describe it like most of you guys can to it.

i have some cheaper iem (cx300, m6 and klipsch s2) and after the shure i like the s2. One thing that i can tell is that it would be nice if the se210 would have little more bass but not too much.

And btw i know there are better options that the se315 like most of you will say the gr07 but its not a option for me. first of all i cant buy it in a local store and second it dont has a detachable cable. 

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #5 of 5,364
I don't know how much a detachable cable helps reliability... I've broken my etymotics 4 times.  3 times the driver units themselves broke (my fault on two occasions), and the fourth time wouldn't even have happened if the cable WEREN'T detachable--because it is the connection to the cable joint itself that apparently broke after one too many detachment...

I say if you're happy with the sound out of your SE210 and has had a good run with them before they started breaking down, getting another pair is a viable option.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 16, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 5,364

Quote:

i have some cheaper iem (cx300, m6 and klipsch s2) and after the shure i like the s2. One thing that i can tell is that it would be nice if the se210 would have little more bass but not too much.

And btw i know there are better options that the se315 like most of you will say the gr07 but its not a option for me. first of all i cant buy it in a local store and second it dont has a detachable cable. 

No worries about your ability to explain the sound, PakoBoy. The fact that you like a bit more bass is helpful. Is there anything else you particularly enjoy about the Shure and the s2? Don't worry about trying to use the right words or terms, just describe what you like and don't like using your own words. Is there anything else you can tell us about why you like the Shures better than the s2 then those even more than the others you have?

Also, don't worry about the fact that there might be "better" options out there. Its all about getting the best you can get for your tastes and your budget. The moment you focus on anything outside of that you'll get frustrated and stop enjoying the music, and in the end it should be all about you just enjoying your music.

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #7 of 5,364

Quote:
Okey let me be the first one to ask for suggestions. 

i currently have the se210 and i like them but the cable is almost broken so need a new iem. 
i have a iPhone as a source and i listen to all kind of music. 

i am thinking to buy the se215 or the se315, but will it be a step backwards if i buy the se215 because it has a dynamic driver? 

And please only suggest other iem if they have a detachable cable.
And my budget wil be about €170 

Quote:

Any particular reason you need a detachable cable? As a previous poster mentioned it shouldn't be that big a factor in durability. So a few questions: 1) What kind of music do you listen to, and what parts of it do you enjoy the most? That might help us figure out your preferred sound. 2) What can you buy locally? It's a little hard to guess where you live and what IEMs are available to you... 
wink.gif
 3) Do you really need that detachable cable?
If you're set on that cable, maybe some Westones will do the trick, if you're willing to try a new sound signature, or you could just stick to Shures. If you're willing to try IEMs with built-in cables, you could start with the GR07s and the FXT90s, and go from there.

Feb 17, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #8 of 5,364
This thread has been due for a long time. Can't believe it wasn't made sooner 
ph34r.gif

I'm looking for a set of portable cans or in ears that'll compliment J-pop/k-pop. Most of the songs comprise of synthesised music but have good strong vocals as well. I want to be able to feel the bass when the tracks call for it but I don't want it to veil the vocals or everything else. I have the soundmagic E10's and ksc75's and I feel they don't perform well. Can you guys throw some names at me so I can get an some sort of idea. Thanks. Price should be under £80, maybe £100 max.

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #9 of 5,364

Quote:
No worries about your ability to explain the sound, PakoBoy. The fact that you like a bit more bass is helpful. Is there anything else you particularly enjoy about the Shure and the s2? Don't worry about trying to use the right words or terms, just describe what you like and don't like using your own words. Is there anything else you can tell us about why you like the Shures better than the s2 then those even more than the others you have?

Also, don't worry about the fact that there might be "better" options out there. Its all about getting the best you can get for your tastes and your budget. The moment you focus on anything outside of that you'll get frustrated and stop enjoying the music, and in the end it should be all about you just enjoying your music.

The voice of the singers is better in with the shure se210 and the sound is relaxing. I can listen to the shure for a long time but the others get irritating after a while (not the fit but the sound). 

i am actually doubting between the se315 and se215 so i was hoping that someone could help me with that and if there are much better option i am willing to consider that but €170 is a lot of money for me and i don't wat to take the risk to buy something that i wouldn't like 

Quote:

Any particular reason you need a detachable cable? As a previous poster mentioned it shouldn't be that big a factor in durability. So a few questions: 1) What kind of music do you listen to, and what parts of it do you enjoy the most? That might help us figure out your preferred sound. 2) What can you buy locally? It's a little hard to guess where you live and what IEMs are available to you... 
wink.gif
 3) Do you really need that detachable cable?
If you're set on that cable, maybe some Westones will do the trick, if you're willing to try a new sound signature, or you could just stick to Shures. If you're willing to try IEMs with built-in cables, you could start with the GR07s and the FXT90s, and go from there.

with all my iems till now the cable broke so i love the idea of a detachable cable, i know there are other problems with a detachable cable but if i buy a normale iem and the cable will break then will regret that i didn't buy one with a detachable cable. And the locale store thing is just an extra that i prever.

the music that i listen is all kinds of indian music from classic to hip hip and englisch R&B.

Feb 17, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #10 of 5,364

Quote:
This thread has been due for a long time. Can't believe it wasn't made sooner 
ph34r.gif

I'm looking for a set of portable cans or in ears that'll compliment J-pop/k-pop. Most of the songs comprise of synthesised music but have good strong vocals as well. I want to be able to feel the bass when the tracks call for it but I don't want it to veil the vocals or everything else. I have the soundmagic E10's and ksc75's and I feel they don't perform well. Can you guys throw some names at me so I can get an some sort of idea. Thanks. Price should be under £80, maybe £100 max.

Fisher Audio Eterna maybe?

Quote:

The voice of the singers is better in with the shure se210 and the sound is relaxing. I can listen to the shure for a long time but the others get irritating after a while (not the fit but the sound). 

i am actually doubting between the se315 and se215 so i was hoping that someone could help me with that and if there are much better option i am willing to consider that but €170 is a lot of money for me and i don't wat to take the risk to buy something that i wouldn't like 

with all my iems till now the cable broke so i love the idea of a detachable cable, i know there are other problems with a detachable cable but if i buy a normale iem and the cable will break then will regret that i didn't buy one with a detachable cable. And the locale store thing is just an extra that i prever.

the music that i listen is all kinds of indian music from classic to hip hip and englisch R&B.

Well, if you like the sound of the Shures, I think you should just upgrade to the SE315s, since they fit all of your requirements, and you can get them locally. There's not a ton of IEMs with detachable cables at your price range, and it seems like you like the Shure house sound.

Feb 17, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #11 of 5,364
Looking to buy my first good portable headphones

I've narrowed it down to the Beyerdynamic dt1350 or the V-MODA M-80
OR what I could do is get the Beyers now and wait for the M-100?

I want portability, good sound (I don't have a preferred sound sig, still trying things out) and style which I've heard lots of good things for both.
I know there's a price difference but I can get the Beyers locally whereas I'll have get the M-80s shipped which to me is too much hassle.
What do you guys think?

Thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #12 of 5,364

Quote:
Looking to buy my first good portable headphones

I've narrowed it down to the Beyerdynamic dt1350 or the V-MODA M-80
OR what I could do is get the Beyers now and wait for the M-100?

I want portability, good sound (I don't have a preferred sound sig, still trying things out) and style which I've heard lots of good things for both.
I know there's a price difference but I can get the Beyers locally whereas I'll have get the M-80s shipped which to me is too much hassle.
What do you guys think?

Thanks 
smily_headphones1.gif

Well maybe you don't consciously have a preferred signature yet, but what kind of music do you listen to, and what do you enjoy most about it?
Sound signature out of the way, the V-Modas might be a tad more comfortable, and have iPhone controls, but might also attenuate less noise than the DT1350s. Personally I think the M80s look better, but they're both nice. Also, getting the DT1350s and then the M100s might be a good way to test out multiple signatures. 

Feb 17, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #13 of 5,364

Quote:
Fisher Audio Eterna maybe?

Well, if you like the sound of the Shures, I think you should just upgrade to the SE315s, since they fit all of your requirements, and you can get them locally. There's not a ton of IEMs with detachable cables at your price range, and it seems like you like the Shure house sound.

I tend to agree. If you enjoy the sound style, it's a good idea to go for the direct upgrade. It can be more exciting sometimes to try something new, but it can also backfire horribly when you get an earphone/headphone with a sound signature that you find completely unlistenable.

I haven't heard the 315s so I can't comment directly, but I'm sure there are reviews and other users who can help.

Feb 17, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #14 of 5,364
Hey guys!

I have little to no headphone experience... This will be my first time buying a pair that's more than $30 because I'm sick of my crap headphones dying after 6-8 months. After doing a bunch of research, I eventually almost settled on a Sennheiser PX200-ii pair for $70. As I was getting some last-minute opinions on that, though, I was presented with another option. SOmeone offered to sell me a pair of Monster Turbines (not pro) for $60, plus shipping. Brand new and with 1yr10mo left on the warranty (he got them replaced after his old pair but got a set of big headphones so didn't use IEMs anymore)

So that looks like a really good deal, but I've heard that the durability of the Monsters is terrible.

I want my headphones to last. I need to be able to use them while doing yardwork and while jogging and while working out in the gym. I don't unduly abuse headphones, but I don't store them in glass cases either.

Is there any info that anyone can weigh in with?

P.S. so I was looking through some headphone deals today... and I saw a pair of Sennheiser cx495 IEM's for sale for only $30. I tried to do some research, but there are no reviews, hell, these headphones don't even seem to exist except on Newegg where they're being sold. Any info on that?

CONTEXT: I listen to a little bit of everything... I like bass for when I'm working out/running and I have rock or techno playing. In my leisure time I listen to jazz and classical. Spatterings of other, random music genres pull up the rear of my music collection. I'm a little eclectic, but don't have tons of money for headphones that can do everything. I do need the bass for the working out, though.

Feb 17, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #15 of 5,364

Quote:
Hey guys!

I have little to no headphone experience... This will be my first time buying a pair that's more than $30 because I'm sick of my crap headphones dying after 6-8 months. After doing a bunch of research, I eventually almost settled on a Sennheiser PX200-ii pair for $70. As I was getting some last-minute opinions on that, though, I was presented with another option. SOmeone offered to sell me a pair of Monster Turbines (not pro) for $60, plus shipping. Brand new and with 1yr10mo left on the warranty (he got them replaced after his old pair but got a set of big headphones so didn't use IEMs anymore)

So that looks like a really good deal, but I've heard that the durability of the Monsters is terrible.

I want my headphones to last. I need to be able to use them while doing yardwork and while jogging and while working out in the gym. I don't unduly abuse headphones, but I don't store them in glass cases either.

Is there any info that anyone can weigh in with?

P.S. so I was looking through some headphone deals today... and I saw a pair of Sennheiser cx495 IEM's for sale for only $30. I tried to do some research, but there are no reviews, hell, these headphones don't even seem to exist except on Newegg where they're being sold. Any info on that?

CONTEXT: I listen to a little bit of everything... I like bass for when I'm working out/running and I have rock or techno playing. In my leisure time I listen to jazz and classical. Spatterings of other, random music genres pull up the rear of my music collection. I'm a little eclectic, but don't have tons of money for headphones that can do everything. I do need the bass for the working out, though.

Is your budget roughly $60-70 or would you go a bit higher? Not that you need to go higher, but just getting an understanding.

Also, where are you located (country that is)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back