Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Jun 5, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #5,341 of 5,364
UE900 is fairly analytical with some warmth. They also have good sound stage, making it suitable for jpop and classical. They have good comfort and isolation along with great build quality. If you want more analytical kind of sound, look at heir 4.ai. They use TWFK, which are known to be clear and analytical.
I think cMoy would pair well(from reviews on their sound sig) and I can't comment on iPod classic because I don't have one.
SE215LTD has enhanced bass. It has more bass and more extended bass. K and CL is just a color difference. K is black and CL is clear.
If you like S4, you like lots of bass. VModa M100(lacks isolation), SE215LTD(you need more bass than normal SE215), M80(lacks isolation), and Momentum is my suggestion.

The M100 lacks isolation? I have heard reports of excellent isolation to above average and now its lacking? So which one do I believe?

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #5,342 of 5,364
I have the M100 and absolutely love them. :D My favorite headphones by a mile. However the isolation is not great for closed headphones because they have grills on the outside, wich helps with creating awesome sound stage but has some leakage in sound. I have had them on an airplane recently and my friend beside me could not hear me when I have my volume at my normal listening level (60%), if I turn it to 100% the entire row can hear me! haha. 

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #5,343 of 5,364
Feb 6, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #5,349 of 5,364
Question
What are the pros and cons of custom v. universal in ear monitors for musicians?
Answer

IEMs come in two flavors, custom fit (e.g., Da Vinci X custom) and universal/generic ear bud-style (e.g., Da Vinci X universal). Most performers start by trying lower-priced universals (i.e. $200) prior to committing to more expensive custom-fitted models (i.e. $800).

One benefit to custom-fit IEMs is comfort, because they are molded to the individual musician's ear from an impression made of the ear. Fit and comfort are extremely important with IEMs, since between performing, rehearsals, and MP3 listening, users may be wearing them for several hours a day, for most days of the week. With custom models, good fit is a primarily the result of a good, deep ear impression. For professionals, it's important to work with a reputable manufacturer(Clear Tune Monitors) who will rework the fit should it not be perfect the first time.

With universal IEMs, fit and comfort are primarily related to tip material (foam, rubber, plastic) and size. Find what feels most comfortable, yet still provides a tight seal, for your patient. This is important for both isolation from stage volume and bass response.

Speaking of isolation, custom IEMs typically provide more isolation from outside noises than universals, up to 25 dB SPL. This is generally the result of the custom fitting and better acoustic seal.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #5,350 of 5,364
Hi

I am looking for recommendations for upgrading my earphones and DAP. I currently have the ie80 and Sony NWZ-A15. My budget is $1000 each for the earphones and DAP, although if significantly better I can go up to $1500 for one. I was searching the web and forums and too many options and conflicting views, so thought better to post here directly.
Currently eyeing Hiby R6 Pro or Astell&Kern Norma. And IE800 or SE846 as options.

Apr 6, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #5,351 of 5,364
My parents had a good heart, but washed my clothes that had my Westone w40's in my pocket when I visited. I'm looking for something comparable but wireless. I don't plan to run with them, I have other headphones meant specifically for that.

RIP w40s.

Apr 24, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #5,353 of 5,364
Looking for a pair of in-ears. My main headphone ever since 2011 has been the good old ATH-M50 which everyone certainly knows about. It's just always appealed to me the most even when compared to more high end headphones i've tried and I guess i'd like to get something that could be considered similar to the ATH-M50 sound wise in an In-ear headphone. Clear, bright, not too harsh, not too bassy, colourful and bright but well balanced, preferably on the warmer side, not too clinical, strident or dry sounding.
I listen to a lot of rock music, folk music, music with natural instrumentation and production for the most part (Fleet foxes, Neil Young, Kinks, Nick Drake, Neutral milk hotel, Bob Dylan, The Beatles, R.E.M., Radiohead, Slint) to name a few. I'd also be using them to play video games and maybe watch films sometimes, mostly for music.
I was interested in the Shure SE215's at first, they seemed very popular and well recieved but I don't think I'd like the bizarre way of wearing them and the noise cancellation doesn't appeal to me, obviously most in-ear headphones have decent isolation at the very least because they're creating a full seal right in your ear canal but I don't want something that's going to completely shut out the world around me, just decent isolation and minimal sound leakage.
Something very comfortable, durable, easy to drive with an iPod touch, budget is around $400-500 but would prefer to spend less.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #5,355 of 5,364
hey guys

need some help, got lost in the sea of iems..
so..budget is max 200$
looking for an IEM, since I listen mostly to rock, metal I need something thats good with strings, vocals etc.
not cold, analytical sounding I prefer a hint of warmth, good midrange (maybe some fowardness?), tight punchy lower end, non fatiguing treble.
easy to drive

help, help

thanks, Jack

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back