Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 9, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #4,203 of 5,364
Quote:
Yes to both! Somewhere between 0-150$

Okay, first I want to say that I have NOT heard it... but kjk1281 has repeatedly made it clear to me in no uncertain terms that the Sennheiser CX985 is a fantastically good piece of kit.  He has a review on it here:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/633218/review-sennheiser-cx-985.  It sounds like it *might* do for you, with the possible caveat that it might not be bassy enough for you.  In any case, you might want to check that review to see if it sounds like it suits you.

Quote:
Double post, my bad.

We've all been there mate. 
biggrin.gif
  Occupational hazard.

May 9, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #4,206 of 5,364
Quote:
XB90EX is really good with orchestral music. I guess that is the difference between the models :D

Yeah, very possible.  Better clarity and more refinement with the XB90EX... sounds similar to how they structured the XB500/XB700/XB1000 back when those were around.

Quote:
Thanks for the link, I'll look in to those more!

Totally welcome of course!

Quote:

What is your opinion on the Vsonic gr07 bass edition?

Never heard it. 
frown.gif
  Though I do hear good things about it all over the place.  Based on that, it might also be a good option I think.

May 9, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #4,207 of 5,364
Quote:

Wait, that doesn't sound right. 
confused.gif
  They should be decent at that.  What tips are you using?  I had thought that the foam-cored tips would be best for me, but after messing about with different tips for days I found the non-foam tips better for sub-bass.

There is a pair of IEMs that truly excels at sub-bass... but I've recently learned that they are no longer on the market, so I guess that's out of the question.

Yeah, that sounds about right.  The strong mid-bass focus (and that premature roll off of the highs I was talking about) tends to be better suited towards electronic music and recent pop music.  It's missing that sense of air that gives us that nth bit of realism.

Just switched to the regular silicone tips, slightly better. I guess I've just been spoiled by the dt770's bass.
Not a fan of the way the 5-10khz region is boosted to create the false impression of detail. I listened to a song I know very well and there is a whisper that is supposed to sound far in the background. These put the whisper front and center.
I'm just gonna let it play pink/white noise now to see if the treble smoothes out. It certainly took the dt770 a while (~150 hours) before the treble sounded right to me. I guess I just have to give my ears time to adjust. I'll come back later after comparing to my friends gr02, bass heavy.

May 9, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #4,208 of 5,364
I am in need of some advice on some in ears that are under $100 and have a good mic and controls for android phones, in particular the Note 2.  I listen to all genres, need a good all-rounder.

Thanks!

May 9, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #4,210 of 5,364
Quote:
I'm looking for a little advice on which IEMs to buy. I have a budget of about $100-150, and mostly listen to trance and progressive house. 
I have a pair of ATH-M50s which i love, but need something more portable. 
Any advice would be appreciated - thanks!! 

Assuming you'd want something similarly sounding to the M50s tonally (though I could be wrong, please do correct me if I am), definitely look out for the FXD80s, slight V-shape, very lean and quick of note, with tons of kick. Timbre is slightly similar to the M50s. Love them for EDM and trance but that would vary from person to person.

Quote:
i brought the sony mdr-xb400 a week ago and was suprised by the bass they offer but now i have started noticing that the bass has reduced and even has started distorting at full volume on my ipod touch playing bass heavy songs with the bass boost EQ....i am really worried for these cans....how do i burn them for the best bass...i am bass lover and want the to perform at their best...plzz reply as fast as u guyz can

thanxx in advance 
biggrin.gif

Can't really advocate for burn-in, nor turning something up at FULL VOLUME - that's simply insane and unsafe. I would highly urge you to turn that down, for the sake of your own health. It might seem fleeting at first, but really, recklessness gets to you later in life - and really, you don't need it that loud (especially as it's already introduced clipping).

But I do think the Digizoid ZO2 was made for this purpose - definitely not a need to crank stuff up that high.

Quote:
Hello All, I'm new to these forums, and I have to say I'm really enjoying everything.

A few days ago, my Klipsch Image S4i's broke. I was pretty happy with them, but I could use a bit more punchy bass. I don't know I one could call me a bass "monster", but I love it when it feels like my head is being kicked around a bit. However, I also like having articulate mid's and highs as well. While not totally necessary, volume control buttons would be welcome. I listen primarily to rock/metal, but also some electronic and other instrument-heavy music. I also play drums, so noise isolation is a must.

What are a few good options I could buy? I'm from the US.

The X10s might work out - nicer and smoother bass, mids, volume control, deep insertion, the treble isn't as strident but it also isn't as forward. Rather laid-back although technicalites are somewhat retained. There's also the UE700 which is pretty much all about punch, clarity, and a tactile sound. No remote although the bassier/punchier-still UE600vi does.

Quote:
I am in need of some advice on some in ears that are under $100 and have a good mic and controls for android phones, in particular the Note 2.  I listen to all genres, need a good all-rounder.

Thanks!

It's iffy because of the android thing. The HF2 might work out but there's not a lot with control function as well. The A161Ps are mic-capable (with the TRRS adapter from MEElectronic) but they simply have an one-button remote - nice for momentarily pausing but no full on volume or track skipping. They also sound a bit more rounded out and warmer, something easy to get into while remaining very balanced.

May 10, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #4,211 of 5,364
What advantage does a custom IEM have over a universal one except for the fit and colour customisation?

I'm considering Shure's earphones as my first "real" earphone.

I tried my brother's SE215 which I bought for him and they sounded surprisingly good for the $75 I paid; nice lush midrange, decent instrument separation, non-fatiguing highs, good bass extension.

May 10, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #4,212 of 5,364
Quote:
What advantage does a custom IEM have over a universal one except for the fit and colour customisation?

That's a pretty big deal actually...  better fit also results in increased comfort (usually) and supreme isolation (scary, watch for traffic). 
smile.gif

May 10, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #4,214 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
That's a pretty big deal actually...  better fit also results in increased comfort (usually) and supreme isolation (scary, watch for traffic). 
smile.gif

LOL yeah, especially if you do what I did and wear them under a motorcycle helmet.

HOW ARE YOU STILL ALIVE?! 
eek.gif

May 10, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #4,215 of 5,364
Hi,

My iPhone earphones broke the other day so are looking to get some new earphones, I wanted something with a bit of colour and came across BassBuds, I was having a look on their website and it says they are compatible with an iPhone which is great, they have reviews from celebs and others but I'm not sure about the quality?

Have any of you guys had experience with this brand? Just wondering whether they are worth the price.

http://www.bassbuds.co.uk

This is the pair I was looking at 
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back