Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 8, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #4,171 of 5,364
What a coincidence wink wink :wink:
Yep, pretty much.

The JVC aren't terrible in comfort but not the best either. When you get a good fit with these though you REALLY get a good fit. So take that in consideration. They remind me of a nice "in-between" in terms of note presentation between the Senns and the Beyers. 

My top bet is still on the IE800s though.

Thanks TwinQY and warrenpchi (couldn't double quote on mobile). I agree those tdk's look promising. I dug up a few more options, se215 and eb950. Kinda hoping my list is complete now so I can start a little more research. I've actually ordered the xb60ex on a whim (and recommendation from hifiguy's channel) last week so they arrive tomorrow hopefully. If they are to my liking ill keep them and perhaps buy something to complement them, unless I can have everything in one package. That would be better.

May 8, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #4,172 of 5,364
I just lost a pair of Shure SE535's on a recent trip.

I loved those things to bits even though they seem to get panned a lot on Head fi.

I figure after having those things for 2.5 years, I might as well go for a pair of IEMs with a different sound. Does anyone have any recommendations for me within the same tier of IEM?

May 8, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #4,173 of 5,364
Quote:
I've actually ordered the xb60ex on a whim (and recommendation from hifiguy's channel) last week so they arrive tomorrow hopefully.

LOL, you couldn't resist that Amazon sale price could'ya? 
biggrin.gif
  Mine are actually from HiFiGuy, as he thinks they're great, and thought that I'd really like them for some of the genres that we both listen to.  He wasn't wrong. 
smile.gif

Quote:
I just lost a pair of Shure SE535's on a recent trip.  I loved those things to bits even though they seem to get panned a lot on Head fi.  I figure after having those things for 2.5 years, I might as well go for a pair of IEMs with a different sound. Does anyone have any recommendations for me within the same tier of IEM?

I haven't heard much in that tier yet, including the SE535.  But if you're looking for a quickie (and cheaper) replacement, I do have the UE700 and I enjoy them very much.  From what I understand, their signatures aren't entirely dissimilar from the SE535.

May 8, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #4,174 of 5,364
@TwinQY: Thanks a lot for your help. I Think i'll go with the HA-FX3X if i can get my hands on some originals, as there are fales all over the place. I wrote to JVC and they said they were not yet officially available here.

THX

May 8, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #4,176 of 5,364
Can someone tell me if Sennheiser IE80 is a good match for iPhone 5?

In what respect? The IE80 is very easy to drive, so your iphone should be fine in driving them. But then again, so are a 100 other IEMs.. :wink:

Whether you like the sound of the IE80 is a whole different story, so what kind of answer are you looking for?

May 8, 2013 at 4:15 PM Post #4,177 of 5,364
Quote:

biggrin.gif
  Mine are actually from HiFiGuy, as he thinks they're great, and thought that I'd really like them for some of the genres that we both listen to.  He wasn't wrong. 
smile.gif

That's good to hear! They sure look like they can hit above their price-class. Have you gotten a chance to compare to the xb90ex or the ath-cks series or any of the aforementioned iem's on my list?

May 8, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #4,178 of 5,364
Oh thank goodness other people here to help.

This hasn't happened in....well it hasn't happened for a while.

Quote:
I just lost a pair of Shure SE535's on a recent trip.

I loved those things to bits even though they seem to get panned a lot on Head fi.

I figure after having those things for 2.5 years, I might as well go for a pair of IEMs with a different sound. Does anyone have any recommendations for me within the same tier of IEM?

Just experimenting or have any particularly different sound in mind? Any sort of criteria on the user-ergonomics front? Comfort, isolation, build?

Just throwing the typical recs for the W4 and UE900 out there in this case, but we'd probably be able to find something cheaper as well.

Quote:
Can someone tell me if Sennheiser IE80 is a good match for iPhone 5?

Impedance-wise? Usually dynamics have linear impedance response, and the IE80s follow suite. 

So you won't get any sense of crazy variance from source to source. That being said the sound sig of the source would still belay itself onto the sound as a whole. But the point is that they won't suddenly sound awful just because it's out of an iPhone 5.

May 8, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #4,179 of 5,364
I am looking for a somewhat cheap IEM. I want a comfortable one for going to bed and not getting my ears hurt. I do want a lot of bass but also able to hear the vocals of some songs. Please keep it under $40. :) Thank you. 

May 8, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #4,180 of 5,364
Quote:
I am looking for a somewhat cheap IEM. I want a comfortable one for going to bed and not getting my ears hurt. I do want a lot of bass but also able to hear the vocals of some songs. Please keep it under $40. :) Thank you. 

The comfort thing depends on the size of the concha/pinna (then again, when they've been compressed by the bed it makes less of a difference). Either way it'd still be helpful if you could give an example of an IEM that did well while lying on your side, as a reference. 

The MH1C might work out sound-wise but the cable is a turn-off, and again, not sure about the ear size thing. 

May 8, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #4,181 of 5,364
Quote:
The comfort thing depends on the size of the concha/pinna (then again, when they've been compressed by the bed it makes less of a difference). Either way it'd still be helpful if you could give an example of an IEM that did well while lying on your side, as a reference. 
 The MH1C might work out sound-wise but the cable is a turn-off, and again, not sure about the ear size thing. 

Ehh, it is very difficult to differ my taste in comfort. Lets just disregard what I said, and focus on the sound. I would want an IEM with A LOT OF clarity and vocals. So i could actually hear their voice clearly. 

May 8, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #4,182 of 5,364
Quote:
Just experimenting or have any particularly different sound in mind? Any sort of criteria on the user-ergonomics front? Comfort, isolation, build?

Just throwing the typical recs for the W4 and UE900 out there in this case, but we'd probably be able to find something cheaper as well.

Thank you very much for your help!  I will look into those two.

I loved the warm sound of the SE535 and how the bass was balanced. The rolled off highs that everyone complains about didn't bug me at all and I loved the overall sound of it. After 2 years of that though, I think I might want something a little more analytic or a little more punchy.

Isolation and comfort on the Shure SE535 were great, so I think I might want something similar to that. Ergonomics wise, what I really liked was how the side of the IEM was flush with my ear, so I could lay the side of my head down on a pillow without impaling my ears like some IEMs will do. Detachable wires with easy replacements is also kind of important for me. I think I replaced the wires on my Shures 3 times in 2.5 years and my previous pair of Shure 420s died a premature death because of non-replaceable wires.

After checking out the review thread, the Sony MDR EX1000 does kind of interest me. Do you have any opinions on that vs the Shure SE535?

My price cutoff is around $500, so pretty much anything in this tier is an option for me!

May 8, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #4,183 of 5,364
Quote:
Quote:
biggrin.gif
smile.gif

That's good to hear! They sure look like they can hit above their price-class. Have you gotten a chance to compare to the xb90ex or the ath-cks series or any of the aforementioned iem's on my list?

I haven't heard the XB90EX yet... but I had a chance to as HiFiGuy about it this morning in relation to the XB60EX.

[size=x-small](7:29:22 AM) [/size]warrenpchi: Hey, the XB90EX is way better than the XB60EX isn't it?
[size=x-small](8:01:21 AM) [/size]HiFiGuy528: Yes 90 is a lot better
[size=x-small](8:01:55 AM) [/size]warrenpchi: Hmm... contemplating... :)
[size=x-small](8:05:16 AM) [/size]HiFiGuy528: Should get it
[size=x-small](8:05:31 AM) [/size]HiFiGuy528: Not a lot of money right now. Before the price goes up when they are discontinued
[size=x-small](8:05:41 AM) [/size]HiFiGuy528: I may get a second as spare
[size=x-small](8:05:49 AM) [/size]warrenpchi: That's right... discontinuation looms... damn

As for A-T, I've never really gotten into them for some reason.  There's a big hole in my collection right where A-T should be.  Strange, that.  I know one thing... I would NOT get the CKN70.  Here's why: 

And while I think the RE-400 is good, I don't think it's what you're looking for.  Probably not lively enough in the low-end for you.

I'm interested in hearing what you think of the XB60EX though.  Depending on your thoughts on that unit, it'll be a lot easier to find something you'd like. 
smile.gif

Quote:
Oh thank goodness other people here to help.

This hasn't happened in....well it hasn't happened for a while.

Yay! 
smile.gif

May 8, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #4,184 of 5,364
Quote:
Ehh, it is very difficult to differ my taste in comfort. Lets just disregard what I said, and focus on the sound. I would want an IEM with A LOT OF clarity and vocals. So i could actually hear their voice clearly. 

Perhaps the E10 then - lean of note, nice clarity overall, a bit of a V-shape but vocals are well-rendered anyways and you did want a tad bit more bass...
The GR04s would be a tad bit more mid-forward, more balance, bass is still present but not as hard hitting. Technical proficiency is quite nice overall.
Otherwise the budget might be fairly limiting as I can't really think of much else, other than perhaps the UE600s, which fits the criteria quite well but is 20-30USD overbudget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back