Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
May 4, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #4,141 of 5,364
Quote:
At 150 GBP you may want to consider the Ortofon eQ-5 or the TDK BA200. Since TwinQY has heard both, he is in a better position to judge. Less isolation on the eq5 than on the se215, though still decent, and may therefore not be the best fit.

Quote:
Non-fatiguing, balance, <150 - the PFE012s might have a little more crispness than you might be used to with the Shures, not fatiguing to these ears but depends from person to person. Not to mention they are relatively shallow-insertion and can't isolate much. I'd still put my bet in for the IE800s, add in the BA200 if you can handle a little less bass in exchange for smoothness and non-fatiguing treble up the wazoo. Also isolates quite nicely.

Quote:

if you want to go for the BA 200 check it here. much better price than amazon UK. ships to UK checked it
wink.gif

http://www.amazon.de/TDK-Balanced-Armature-InEar-Kopfh%C3%B6rer-Hochleistungstreiber/dp/B005OEN3EM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1367665101&sr=8-2&keywords=tdk+BA+200

Very tempted by these now. I'm very happy to have a more balanced sound signature than the SE215's, and prefer sharper more responsive bass than looser high volume bass.

That link works out as £86 for the BA200's, that's only marginally more than the SE215's!

May 5, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #4,142 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello, yesterday I went to an electronics store to see some headphones, there was nothing interesting.
I am looking for a pair of headphones closed (so as not to disturb the people around me in the place that I listen to the music),  deep bass and extended (give the feeling of almost hear them in the stomach, and leave some vibration with the mid pleasant and not annoying.
(By reading the various reviews online, I narrowed my search to CAL, which compared to Sony XB500 (which have very good bass but less soundstage CAL) and compared to the Jvc ha-s500 (same as for the Sony XB500), I think CAL are the right ones.)

What do you think?

I still think they might be not enough bass quantitatively for your needs. Ever look at the Q40s?

Otherwise the mids might work out so you could always try and see if it works out in the end. If not, return them and you will have also learned a lesson regarding your personal preferences.

Quote:
Any recommendations for a very durable in-ear headset with good noise isolation?  I live and work out in a large and noisy city.  My Etymotic hf3 headset is great, but I'm on my 3rd set in 2 years.  They're just not durable enough for me.  I don't wind up the cable around my phone, but occasionally it gets tugged or slightly pinched at the base.  I've only had my latest set for 3 months and the cable is already shorting.  I use these with an iPhone.

I'd love to find a solution with the following characteristics:
  1. Extremely durable: I use them during vigorous workouts and sometimes the wires will get pinched a little or tugged.
  2. Great noise isolation: I can listen to my Etys on the subway without destroying my eardrums; this is not possible with the Apple-supplied earbuds.  My ears are fine with Ety's deep insertion design (I use the large triple-flanged tips).
  3. Pause button: I need to be able to quickly pause my music or podcasts when approaching traffic, when loud vehicles come by, and when I need to interact with people around me.  Taking my iPhone out of my pocket, unlocking it, going to the player app, and hitting the pause button there is much too slow.
  4. Decent sound quality:  I mostly listen to podcasts, so spoken voice is the most important to me.  I'm okay with the weak bass of the Etys.  I'm willing to sacrifice some sound quality to get the other characteristics.
  5. Budget: I'm willing to spend up to a few hundred dollars to get something that'll last for a few years rather than a few months.

Desirable bonus features:
  1. Apple- or Android-compatible volume control buttons
  2. Microphone
  3. Low-key
  4. Good bass

The best solution I see so far is to get a Senheiser CX 480 (they appear very durable) and attach my Etys to its volume control block (granting the Ety noise isolation and sound quality).  I'd loosely wind up the Ety cable and secure it with twist-ties to take up the extra slack. 

Does anyone have any better suggestions or experience mixing the CX480 with other IEMs?

In terms of the sound sig, the A161p immediately come to mind, rather mid-forward and pleasant. Problem is though, they only have an microphone and no pause/play/rewind function (although I guess the mic button sort of counts as a pause/play button - at least that's how I define mic/remote as being, not account for full playback functionality). Insertion depth is average, no vents, so isolation is fairly good. The shells are fairly robust but the cables can be a hit or miss. At this point I'm just throwing out more choices for the heck of it but the PFE122 also has a mic - worst part is that they have really shallow insertion.

Anyways, just giving you an idea of the market. There's also the X10, with a full-on remote, mid-bass and mid forward, very warm. Definitely suits vocals. The nozzle is around the same in terms of "brittleness" when compared against the HF3 so if that's a bother...Insertion depth is fairly deep but much more comfortable due to the tips. Cable is ever so slightly thicker but depending on how you handle them it might not make much of a difference.

Since you've mentioned being able to stretch up to a few hundred dollars, have you ever considered cheap-ish customs like the Cosmic Ears (haven't heard so can't talk about sound)? The reports are generally good despite being budget-inclined, you can try and get a mic-functional cable as well. Isolation is well...they are customs so a perfect seal is guaranteed. But they still won't go as deep and isolate as much as the Etys though.

Quote:
Hey everyone,

I recently bought a decked out Dell XPS 12 to do my online Masters classes while I'm on the road and I'm looking for a pair of portable headphones with an inline microphone since the laptop only has one port. I have a pair of AD700's for my desktop and Koss 75's for on the go, so I'm not concerned about sound quality as much as functionality for this single purpose. Only looking to spend $20-30. I saw some by Alpatronix, Sony, even the Apple Earpods, but I didn't know which would be best.

Sound preferences? I know SQ is not really being factored but there's still too many choices at this price so it'd be more helpful on both parts to state some sort of preference/criteria. Anything in terms of comfort/fit would be helpful if it were mentioned.

Quote:
Quote:
Bassy, full, - out of the 4, would probably go for the Senns or the 1X1. Although neither are ideal.

what do you mean by "not ideal"? And is there a reason why you would take one of those two?
I was also considering to buy the Skullcandy Ink‘d 2.0 @29$, as i had the first Edition and was quite pleased with the sound, but they were a bit tiering and the microphonics were quite annoying at times. Plus I doubt they can be considered good value for 29$...

thanks so far!

None of the choices are really that well regarded even at the price - with the exceptions of the JVCs for purely basshead reasons. The above two, at the very least, would fit the sound signature profile.

Quote:
I am in the market to replace my current IEMs (Shure E2c) and while they did an admirable job I feel as though they do not perform to my desired standards anymore.  I will forgo brand considerations at the moment as I would rather be a blank slate for recommendations.

My budget is roughly $250-300 with perhaps some flexibility for a jump in performance.  I prefer around the ear vs straight down but that isn't a deal breaker.  I want reasonable sound isolation (assume I couldn't hear people talking at normal levels at about 5-7 feet at a reasonable sound volume).  I tend to listen to chill type music most frequently (Tycho, Pendulum, Bombay Dub Orchestra, Nightmares On Wax to name a few) but i do occasionally listen to things like Adele, The Heavy, Dusty Brown so needless to say most of my music is not overly bass heavy (but I do want bass recognition).

Qualities I am after are clarity and distinction being the mostly highly desired, I felt as though my previous IEM's were slightly muddly and lacked separation.  Crisp accurate bass, again my previous IEM's felt distorted in the bass section (not that there is a lot but I don't want it to roll on and off).  I do not enjoy harsh highs, things too bright tend to be unpleasant for me.  Midrange and instrumentals are important for me, I want something that accurately reproduces what the artist intended.  I also do not want any distance (if that is understandable) in the music, sometimes it sounds as though I am not right there but rather it is some distance away from me.  

I am of the mind set to purchase something that will last and be of reasonable quality the first time so I do not have to replace them again soon.  I tend to use foamies over silicon if that makes any difference.  I also want reasonable shielding (doubt it is the correct word) on the cables so I do not get noise from movement (with cheaper headphones I can hear the cable as it moves).

Thanks

$250-300. over-ear, isolates, clarity, bass having presence but accurate and crisp, non-fatiguing and smooth highs, non-diffuse soundstage, good build, lacks microphonics - first off, I do want to thank you immensely for stating your criteria in such a detailed and thoughtful manner. A good portion of people around here don't really take the time to do so and I must applaud you for this!

Anyways, the eQ-5s are straight-barrel but then again, they kind of aren't. Most do wear them over the ears though. Cable isn't that microphonic once you have a cable cinch, over-ear-wearing style, have them on the back of the neck. Great, tight, tactile bass and deliciously clean mids. Very much mid-centric with the added benefit of having a crisp bass presentation. Treble can be a bit rolled off but otherwise rather smooth and does retain presence. Also the BA200 for a strictly over-ear wear, also nice mids and separation, soundstage is rather wide but focused in the grand scheme of things. Treble is again, smooth like a baby's bottom, but with more (arguable more linear as well) presence.

Then again there are the W2s which also fit the form and ergonomics profile, stage is smaller that the other two but normal in the grand scheme of things, definitely focused, punchy tight bass with again, forward and smooth mids. The note presentation is a bit more delicate and a bit more rounded/euphonic though never sounding slow. Treble is a bit laid-back, not W4 laid back, a bit of a nicer placement than that.

May 5, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #4,143 of 5,364
Hey guys. I need some help. I am deicing whether to get a Sony MDR EX-510SL or a JVC 
 ​
FXT-90 or a Etymotic Reasearch HF5?????? okay lets see..... hmmm I dont really need sound isolation, I want clarity and not overwhelming bass..
Detailed,Accurate,Range

May 5, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #4,144 of 5,364
I am using sony's mh1c and soundmagic's e10. They both sound good, but mh1c's seal is a problem for me, I do not get a proper seal, I ve tried all types of eartips for it, disappointed or may be its cos of the vent. I really love the sound signature and quality of mh1c, but would want a seal as good as e10. 

My budget is less than $100,

Should be same or more in sub bass region than mh1c.
Should be a tad crispier in vocals, and highs should not roll off, something slightly better than mh1c would be fine.
Good Timbre, would be an awesome plus.
Seal is the most important part now, I don't want to yawn everytime when I insert an iem, thats what I do with inserting mh1c.
e10's  seal is good, its vent is big and fine. I need more ventilation for my ears .

Any suggestions ? 
Or simply is there a really close alternative to mh1c under $100 ?

May 5, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #4,146 of 5,364
Guys kindly advice an IEM within 100-150 bucks. Need BASS, deep and punchy bass, which is not only limited to ears. But not muddy or bloated, and with clear and detalied sound stage. Isolation is also a big factor. Anyone has any views on Sony XB90EX? Had some recommendations like JVC FXZ100, but it's too costly for me :frowning2:
I will only stick with brands like, Sony, Sennheiser, JVC, Klipsch etc, nothing else.

PS: I had a Shure SE215 and I didn't like it, if that helps in anything.

Thanks in advance.

May 5, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #4,147 of 5,364
Quote:
what do you mean by "not ideal"? And is there a reason why you would take one of those two?
I was also considering to buy the Skullcandy Ink‘d 2.0 @29$, as i had the first Edition and was quite pleased with the sound, but they were a bit tiering and the microphonics were quite annoying at times. Plus I doubt they can be considered good value for 29$...

thanks so far!

I just realized, that there are the JVC HA-FX101 (36$) as well, and some people say they are better than the JVC HA-FX1X1
And i could also get the Creative EP-630 (17$) which are supposedly the exact same (rebrand) as the Sennheiser CX-300.

So I can take those into consideration too.

May 6, 2013 at 12:51 AM Post #4,148 of 5,364
Finished previous reply - post #4144

Quote:
Guys kindly advice an IEM within 100-150 bucks. Need BASS, deep and punchy bass, which is not only limited to ears. But not muddy or bloated, and with clear and detalied sound stage. Isolation is also a big factor. Anyone has any views on Sony XB90EX? Had some recommendations like JVC FXZ100, but it's too costly for me :frowning2:
I will only stick with brands like, Sony, Sennheiser, JVC, Klipsch etc, nothing else.

PS: I had a Shure SE215 and I didn't like it, if that helps in anything.

Thanks in advance.

Why the brand bias? Not to denigrate on your personal choices, so forgive me if I offend, but brand bias only limits oneself. There's a reason other brands can be well-received around here, and it's likely not because of poor build or sound. Unless it's a matter of brand availability then I would totally understand. Although the FXZ100 are Japanese-imports only so that seems a bit unlikely.

Quote:

Bose IE2 vs Monster Livestrong vs SoundMAGIC E10 vs Sennheiser CX400 II vs Beats by Dre Tour? ? 

Eh?

We can't do much with those choices alone. You haven't stated any sound preferences or signature preferences to help us discern what you might like, nor any criteria regarding build, comfort/fit, isolation, or even budget in case you were open to alternatives. I would also assume availability as usually when people list these kinds of choices it's due to some market limitation/accessibility. 

Quote:
I am using sony's mh1c and soundmagic's e10. They both sound good, but mh1c's seal is a problem for me, I do not get a proper seal, I ve tried all types of eartips for it, disappointed or may be its cos of the vent. I really love the sound signature and quality of mh1c, but would want a seal as good as e10. 

My budget is less than $100,

Should be same or more in sub bass region than mh1c.
Should be a tad crispier in vocals, and highs should not roll off, something slightly better than mh1c would be fine.
Good Timbre, would be an awesome plus.
Seal is the most important part now, I don't want to yawn everytime when I insert an iem, thats what I do with inserting mh1c.
e10's  seal is good, its vent is big and fine. I need more ventilation for my ears .

Any suggestions ? 
Or simply is there a really close alternative to mh1c under $100 ?

MH1C-like, a bit crisper, more extension, timbre, good seal - Does sound like the IE800s (the TDKs not the Sennheisers in case you were shell-shocked about the price), but even then it is ever so slightly above budget. But they do fit most, if not all of your criteria, fairly well. Insertion is average, not sure why you couldn't get a fit with the Sonys, perhaps it's because of the un-ergonomic cable, but most seem to do fine with the IE800s. 

Otherwise, can't thing of much else in terms of that sort of tonality, presentation (spacious, full, etc) other than the TDKs. So sorry about that :frowning2:

Quote:
Hey guys. I need some help. I am deicing whether to get a Sony MDR EX-510SL or a JVC 
 ​
FXT-90 or a Etymotic Reasearch HF5?????? okay lets see..... hmmm I dont really need sound isolation, I want clarity and not overwhelming bass..
Detailed,Accurate,Range

Definitely the HF5 then. No questions. Not even a need to expand.

Well the FXT-90s are rather bass and lower-mids full and can be a bit V-shaped as well. The Sonys are just slow.

May 6, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #4,149 of 5,364
Recently I've been thinking about upgrading to a set of customs, and I'd like some recommendations as to what would suit my tastes.

My budget is in the $200-600 range, although I am willing to go higher if the sound is right. I primarily listen to classical music, with a focus on violin pieces, although my library runs the entire classical gamut, from full-blown symphonies to solo performances, with a large amount of piano/woodwind/brass concertos as well.

Currently, I own a pair of HF5s and a pair of B2s, both of which I enjoy a lot. I just came back from a trip to Japan, where I was able to audit a large amount of higher-end IEMs: most notably, I was very impressed with the soundstage of the IE8, something that I felt was always slightly lacking in the other two (the HF5 especially). I think my ideal sound signature would be a TWFK sound with the detail of an Ety and the soundstaging of the IE8: I'm looking for CIEMs that have good clarity, detail, and separation, with a broad soundstage. Ideally the sound should be neutral/balanced, although I am fine with some brighter highs/slightly boosted lows.

After doing some research, it seems that my primary choice should be the Cosmic Ears BA4. The sound signature sounds exactly like what I'm looking for, although I'm not entirely sure about the width of the soundstage (could someone comment further on this?). The only concern I have with this CIEM is the lack of reviews and the fact that Cosmic Ears is based in Sweden: as I am currently living in the States, I'm not sure how international shipment would work out (are there heavy customs duties to pay? how long is a typical shipping time?). The price is also a very tempting factor, as this is the only one within my ideal price range.

Other CIEMs that also seem to fit my criteria include the UERM, the JH13s, and the Alclair Reference. I'm also open to other suggestions as well. Thanks.

May 6, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #4,150 of 5,364
At first sorry for my bad English.

In the range of 250$, what is the best all-rounder portable headphone? I've listened to the HD25, the M-80, the DT-1350 and the M50. Personally I like the M-80 the most because they suit with my genre, which are pop (mostly), instrumental and some dance/electro or whatever it's, but in my country they're sold out so.. Right now i'm confusing between the M-100 and the Momentum. From what i've heard, the M-100 is better for energy music and it may suit me better than the Momentum (i'm an bass head) but the their mid is kinda laid back and recessed, which is not good for soft music. I own the IE80 and to be honest i don't really like them because their mid it's too laid back despite the awesome bass. The Momentum might be a good choice but i worry about the bass quantity is not enough for pump up the mood and PRaT?.

Hope you guy can help me

May 6, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #4,151 of 5,364
Quote:

We can't do much with those choices alone. You haven't stated any sound preferences or signature preferences to help us discern what you might like, nor any criteria regarding build, comfort/fit, isolation, or even budget in case you were open to alternatives. I would also assume availability as usually when people list these kinds of choices it's due to some market limitation/accessibility. 

I like a warm bassy sound and there aren't really limitaitons it's just I found those online for abelow £50, I know they usually retail for more (Bose IE2 vs Monster Livestrong vs SoundMAGIC E10 vs Sennheiser CX400 II vs Beats by Dre Tour)

But if there are alternatives in this price range it'd be good too

May 6, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #4,152 of 5,364
Ok. I need some guidance. I'm using an iPod Classic or my new HTC One as my source. My music is ripped at 320mp3. I listen to most things but lean slightly to jazz, blues, classical.

I have a Sony PHA-1 USB DAC/AMP, which works a treat.

I'm looking at in ear headphones. My two options are jvc ha-fxz200 or Sony Xba-40.
http://www.jvc.com.hk/promo/fxz/en/tech.html
http://www.sony.com.sg/product/xba-40

Which one or suggest something else. Budget £200.

May 6, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #4,153 of 5,364
Why the brand bias? Not to denigrate on your personal choices, so forgive me if I offend, but brand bias only limits oneself. There's a reason other brands can be well-received around here, and it's likely not because of poor build or sound. Unless it's a matter of brand availability then I would totally understand. Although the FXZ100 are Japanese-imports only so that seems a bit unlikely.

Not brand bias, brand preference. I have never been happy with the brands I don't like, thus I mentioned that I'd stick with those brands.
If there is none available, then it's okay.
Asking once more, how is Sony XB90EX? Will it be a worthy upgrade from MH1C?

Saurav.

May 6, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #4,154 of 5,364
Hi All,

I'm looking at getting a new set of in-ear headphones because I unfortunately broke my old pair. I was using JVC HA-FX67 and was quite happy with them. I'm not a huge audiophile but appreciate a good quality unit. *Durability is quite important to me*. I tend to go through headphones quite quickly, so my budget is limited to the $20-$30 range. I'm in Canada, meaning Amazon.com is out of the question for such a low price range (high shipping price), so I'm looking to buy an easily found, local product.

I listen to a wide variety of music from electronic, to rock, to rap. I will mostly use the headphones during workouts (3-4x a week) or travelling (2-3 times a year). Good cable management (not very tangly) is a plus.

I have narrowed my search down to 3 units:

JVC Xtreme Xplosive HA-FR201 (apparently the same as the FX101 but with inline controls): $20
- Drawback: Headphone cable seems quite thin and fragile.

Puma Keg Headphones PMAD3032 : $24
- Can't find much information online about these. I like the look but more importantly, the cable seems thick and is the flat, not round type, which I understand is more tangle resistant. Big plus is the 2 year warranty.

Sony Noise-Cancelling MDRNC13 : $30
- Can't find much information about these either. I've never had noise cancelling headphones and am wondering if they're worth it. One of the dissuading points is that they require a AAA battery, which might weigh down the cord and make them uncomfortable.

I was also interested in the JVC HA-FX40, but they're out of my price range at $50 locally.

I've read a lot of good things about the FR201(FX101) here, but can't find info about the other two. Any advice is appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back