Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 29, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #3,526 of 5,364
Quote:
You should try Head-Direct (HiFiMan)'s own RE-400 -- I listened to it recently and I'm pretty sure it has more bass than RE0. Sounds damn good too for the price.

I don't really like the look of the new RE-400's and I wasn't really impressed by the durability of my Re0's so I'd rather try out a new brand. But thanks for the advice anyway :).

I see that you own the Shure SE215's too. How would you rate these in comparison to the ones from Head-direct?

Mar 29, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #3,527 of 5,364
Quote:
I don't really like the look of the new RE-400's and I wasn't really impressed by the durability of my Re0's so I'd rather try out a new brand. But thanks for the advice anyway :).

I see that you own the Shure SE215's too. How would you rate these in comparison to the ones from Head-direct?

I like Shure iems a lot, but RE0 are supposed to be more towards neutral, and the 215 are not that.

Mar 29, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #3,529 of 5,364
Quote:
Then how would you describe the Shure ones if you don't view them as being 'neutral'?

I had them a long time ago, and it was the older brother, the 210, which were different. I know the 535 better, and both had forward mids. I suppose the 215 retain some of this, and review seem to confirm it.

Mar 29, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #3,530 of 5,364
Quote:
I had them a long time ago, and it was the older brother, the 210, which were different. I know the 535 better, and both had forward mids. I suppose the 215 retain some of this, and review seem to confirm it.

Thanks for the info! I don't really need them to sound as neutral as my Re0's did, in fact I often thought that the RE0's sounded too neutral for my taste. So I think I might get these soon :).

Mar 29, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #3,532 of 5,364
Hi everyone

New to this forum and this hobby. Looking to purchase my first ba driver earphone, the SE315 as I managed to find a good deal on them. I want to ask how they compare with my Q701 which I love, in terms of clarity, detail, soundstage, etc.

Thanks,

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #3,533 of 5,364
Hello,

I'm looking for a replacement for my Sennheiser MX550 - new earbuds or comfortable IEM, for about 50~70$.

As a source I use Cowon C2 and I listen to MP3 files (usually 192kbit or better)
I like classic rock music (Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin...) and long walks on the beach :)

I did a search and I have found only requests for bass boosted sets. I don't like too much bass.
I'm looking for balanced and well built (durable) earphones. I like deep, wide-stage sound.
I know that the best way to buy gear is to listen to it myself, but in this price range I think that the general opinion will be enough

I HATE the volume button on the MX550, so I prefer a set without one of these (or with a button that doesn't break after 3 months).

Mar 29, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #3,534 of 5,364
TwinQY how would you describe the sound signature of the R-50 vs. the XBA-30, and others that you mentioned? I'm not just limited to Sony so anything in that price range would be fine with me. I'm looking for something that performs well all around. The R-50 was very analytical/flat, nice flatness, but doesn't have much warmth. I looking for something that's equal in analytical and flatness, warmth is necessary too but it doesn't have to equal to those two. 

Mar 29, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #3,535 of 5,364
Hey guys..I'm a newbie at headphones..But, I know the brands of audiophile headphones .Anyways I'm trying to find a pair of over-the-ear headphones that are around the price range of $10-$40..Some features that I would like included is some noise cancellation..Hopefully, you can recommend me the best out of those headphones below and recommend some other headphones with the stated price range.

Some headphones I have in mind are:

Sennheiser HD 202 II
AKG K403
Audio Technica ATH-SJ33
Audio Technica ATH-T200
Audio Technica ATH-T300
Audio Technica ATH-M30
Audio Technica ATH-M20
Superlux HD 681
Koss DJ100

Genres:
EDM (Tiesto, Zedd, Avicii)
Pop (Bruno Mars, Justin Timberlake, Rihanna, Usher, Hedley, modern pop,etc)
Softcore Rap (Drake)

Thanks.

Mar 29, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #3,536 of 5,364
I managed to get a pair of Sony DRZ-X701IP for around $30 when they were on sale at Staples - you might look to see if your local Staples still has a pair in back - but enough people have gotten them at that discount you might be able to locate a pair in your stated price range - they originally sold for $149 - but like I said, you may find them much, much cheaper. Joker has a review of them somewhere here and he rates them exceptionally high. I have a pair and they are really good cans.... the X700 is the same set, just without the iPhone controls.

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #3,538 of 5,364
Quote:
looking for something that is super comfortable with a slightly bass heavy sound under 75. looking at beyerdynamic dt501,and CAL. a remote would be nice as would a removable or one sided cable, folding would also be nice. preferably on ear

If you can stretch to $100 the UE4000 from Logitech/Ultimate Ears may fit the bill.  On ear, very comfortable, one sided detachable cable with remote for iDevices, and a sound signature that favors the lows & mids.

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #3,539 of 5,364
Hi.
I've been into IEMs for some years now. My first IEM was the Sennheiser CX100, which was soon upgraded to a SoundMagic PL50.
After the PL50 clogged with ear wax, I replaced it with the E30, which was a disappointment.
I much preferred the sound signature of the BA-based PL50, although it might also have been due to the better fit I got with that pair. The isolation of all 3 was mediocre, with the E30 being the worst.

My current budget is around $150 (including shipping to Israel). What I'm looking for is a balanced and detailed sound signature, superb isolation and no microphonics when worn over the ear.
The baseline (and the set I will choose if nothing else comes to mind) is the Etymotic HF5. I expect reasonable durability from the IEM, but it doesn't have to last more than about 2 years. It will probably be clogged by wax again by then.
Other options which come to mind are (in no particular order):
Klipsch X10
VSonic VC1000
MEElectronics A161P
Rockit Sounds R50

The IEM will be driven by an iPod classic's line out (with a small fio amp).
I listen mainly to metal music, but the sound signature doesn't have to be V shaped.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #3,540 of 5,364
Hello, I'm new to Head-Fi. I am looking to buy a new set of headphones, and I was hoping to get some advice from people who have experience. I want a pair of headphones for daily use. I listen to music on my ipod touch 4th gen and Nokia Lumia 822. Two pairs of headphones that caught my eye were the Beats Pro and V-Moda M100. I listen to primarily hiphop/rap and Linkin Park type music. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If you respond, please tell me which headphone you personally would suggest. Thanks! Also, what do you guys think of Beats Mixr?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back