Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Mar 28, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #3,511 of 5,364
Quote:
these are my main choices as they are the main available iem's here in my country. ill check the A161P out if it's available here. i have a 100$ budget, and the W1 made it in, if you should have some suggestions that will fit in that price range, please tell me, ill do my best to check it out and the availability of it here. also are those marshall minor pitch black worth checking out?

here's a pricelist if this'll help

http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613403

The Brainwavz, Soundmagic, and TDKs listed are all rather good. If the budget can be stretched by a bit, the BA200 would probably be the best out of the lot in terms of sheer performance. Otherwise if you want to play it safe would just look at the E30 I mentioned earlier.

Found most of the Marshall Minors to be quite poor in sound. 

Quote:
Urm...just wondering have you tried the fitear 334's, would they fit my preferences? Or would you still recommend the Miracles over it?

Yes, had them for a month, and now borrowing them for another week or so. Vocals are lush, smooth, and emphasized enough while being just transparent enough (so would satisfy one major criteria). Not a lot of treble air/emphasis as you might have liked with the UE900. And the notes tend to go for a slower decay rate, very weighty, still extremely proficient but might not be to your preferences this time. They do amazing for J-Pop but not in the airy/light way that you would prefer.

And can't recommend a Miracle with any authority whatsoever. Absolutely no experience other than a couple of demos. So that would be a disservice as such.

Quote:
Hello all, new member here and created an account because I need help choosing which IEM to go with.  Currently I am using Sennheiser CX300(old ones) and they are finally falling apart on me, but also decided that it was time to upgrade them anyways.  I searched around Amazon at "name brand" and couldn't really find what I was looking for and want to spend my money wisely.  After using the CX300 for a few years, I believe I know what I want out of my next IEMs.  I don't want an over powering bass, just enough to get a good punch, clarity is important, I know the CX300 suck for clarity, sounds all muddled.  I want one that has good range for all kinds of music, from classical to hip/hop, price range I could see around $50+/-

I have read the reviews for the Brainwavz/ViSang M1/M2/M3/M4/M5 and many others, but I just cannot decide.  I am not an audiophile and really do not know what to look for.

Punch, clarity, all-rounder - would go to the M1 or the M3 from the choices. I rather dislike the M3 personally so will refrain from commenting there. Open to other alternatives? The E10 or perhaps the GR99 might be good to look at if you're open to those as well.

Quote:
I'd like to have a good headphones, since I use to walk so much and I like to listen music, and I want to listen it with a good quality,

I'd like to find a good headphones, which are comfortable because I'd wear these while walking. I also would like to spend less than 120$ and if it's possible I'd like that these were a good looking headphones.

I use to listen rock, pop, rap and techno (mostly rock and techno)

Thank you.

PS: I saw a review of DN HP700 Pro DJ, I got surprised for the quality-price relation of these but I think these wouldnt be so comfortable to walk with these. If I'm wrong I would be glad to be corrected.

Again, as mentioned within the original thread stating sound preferences would be helpful.

Quote:
I'm looking to buy a new pair of IEM after losing my Rockit R-50. I've been seeing good reviews on this forum of the new Sony XBA-30 and was wondering if it's better than the R-50 or are they totally different. I'm debating whether to buy the R-50 again, I did enjoy it a lot, it was the most expensive pair of IEM I've ever bought, most definitely the best one. Would the XBA-30 be an upgrade? What kind of music would sound good with it? I listen to a wide variety of music, including pop, all kind of rock, not metal though, classical, techno, dubstep, etc. So, I'm looking for a pair of IEM that would be able to play pretty much anything I throw at it, with R-50 or beyond sound quality of course. My budget is $100-$200. BTW since these are gonna be portable so I really rather not have to use an amp to make them sound good. Thanks.

Would you be looking for something with a similar signature as with the R-50s? As the XBA-3/30 are a significant departure from those. Rather drastic in fact. But still quite good all-round. Much more warmth, body. Perhaps not as fast but that's not to say the Sony's can't keep up with the pace.

Are you solely limited to the Sonys alone? As the A161P or the GR01 in this case could do rather well.

Quote:
Great, thank you so much. I have read through a few tutorials and learned a lot, and then I looked at 20 or 30 reviews on Rinchoi's site and realized that just because my q-jays are slightly quieter in the left ear, it's not worth it to replace them because from what I have seen it would take a few hundred dollars at least to match their sound.

I think the best idea would be to salvage them using an amp or player that can amplify one channel, my old mp3 player could and it fixed the problem for me. I'm just hoping that it's just volume and not quality of sound being affected. I would guess the left is 10% quieter than the right. I know that I wore them a few times when the filter had fallen out and I have no idea if anything got inside them... Is there any possible way to clean the inside? It seems very risky to me. Thanks again.

That would be unconventional but if it floats your boat....still not quite as ideal. Why not just pan the volume to whatever channel is lacking (unless by amplify you do mean through software means, in which case I would just be redundant :p).

Oh, the filters had fallen out. I think they still stock those. Otherwise might want to try asking on the FS forums for a request for spare filters that might fit. Usually they include a earwax scrapper in the accessories, but as long as you aren't going deep enough to touch the drivers or anything (i.e. staying within the nozzle) you should be fine.

Quote:
any headphones sound similar to the jvc explosives?

A 100% match would of course be impossible but if budget is not a concern, the CKS99 has a more balanced, but still similar and dynamic presentation. But it really depends on the budget.
Quote:
Hi,

I've owned a couple of pairs of etymotics and a couple of pairs of shures. my last pair were a set of SE530's. To be honest, they were not the most comfortable and the build quality was not great, but I was happy with the sound. The paint peeled and more annoyingly the rubber cable tubing detached themselves. They ended up being stolen and I bought a pair of sennheiser "isolating" earphones in the airport. They don't isolate ****. 

So now I'm in the market again, but I am a bit of a loss as I am not rushing back to the Shures.... My primary use is noise isolation for travelling and I use them for running as well. I listen mostly to 70's rock and indie rock with more electro when running.

I also use custom moulded silicone earplugs when sleeping, travelling or motorcycling. When I looked into getting the se530's fitted to a mold, the profile had them sticking out my ears. I would still prefer custom moulded, but the profile must not protrude from my ear in order to be comfortable with a motorcycle helmet. And the moulding service needs to be available in Australia.

Comfort, isolation, profile and of course natural sound replication, no amp required (iphone, ipod, computer, etc.)

Any tips?

Any particular budget or sound preference (know you liked the Shures but what in particular? Anything that you might have wanted to change?). That would give a helpful start.

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! Saw a pair of murder-red K518LEs at the local discount store for $50 today, so picked them up on a whim and am happy with initial listen, though I hope they'll break in a little... how do they compare to the K618s?

Anyway, now that immediate need for subway sanity is sated, I can save up a little longer to pick up a better set by summer's end, and the LP2s are in the running. Any opinion of how they compare to the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro? Those were my savings goal, and they, the LP2s, and the M80s run about $199 CAD from local retailers...

I picked one up as well, strange...are you in Vancouver? The signature remains similar, a bit more bass, but otherwise the 618s are more refined.

The COPs would be smoother, warmer, and much thicker. Not as exaggerated as the LP2 but also not quite as dynamic either. For sheer usability would indeed pick the COPs in this case.

Mar 28, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #3,513 of 5,364
So... I'm a bit lost on what to buy to get the biggest improvement in sound. I've been looking at The National by ALO a lot lately and have almost bought it a few times, but I keep wondering if it wouldn't be a better idea to upgrade my headphones first.

I have:
- iPod Classic
- Chris_Himself/Ted custom copper LOD
- FiiO E11
- Audio Technica ATH-M35 (full sized headphones)
- Rock It Sounds R-50 (IEM)

I think on-ear headphones would probably be the most ideal, but I'm happy with the size of my ATH-M35 for on the go. I've been looking at the Beyer Dynamic AT1350 and Sennheiser HD 25-1 II. I consider the sound of the ATH-M35 to be almost identical to the ATH-M50 (I own both). I used to think that I wanted the flattest sound possible, but now I think I'm more interested in a warmer, more tube-like sound. I listen to almost exclusively jazz, and I've been getting into classical. I also listen to deadmau5 occasionally, but I'm not really interested in lots of bass. I almost never use my R-50, extremely narrow soundstage, don't fit the best, and the highs are piercing whenever someone plays a high note on a trumpet. The headphones will need to have fairly good noise isolation because I'll be using them at school and leak as little sound as possible.

So I guess my biggest question is amp or headphones? And if headphones, would anyone recommend other models for $300.00 (ideally $250.00) or less?

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #3,514 of 5,364
Hey, guys. I'm new to the site (at least, as a registered user) and I was looking for advice on which headphones to buy next. As far as I can tell, this is the place to ask, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm looking for a new pair of headphones, but I don't have a lot of money to spend. Currently, I have a pair of Philips SHE9000/28 In-Ear Headphones which have served me well, but they certainly don't sound the best and they've seen some serious abuse. I was looking to upgrade to more midrange headphones, but there's a plethora of options. Amazon reviews have proved entirely useless, but I've found some very helpful advice on this site. Currently, I'm looking at the Brainwavz M5 (or M4, if they're better), the MEElectronics A151-BK, the VSONIC VC02, the Astrotec Am-90, or the MAXIMO iM-590 Enhanced Definition. Now, that's a lot of options, and there are quite a few differences between these headphones. I like the supposed accuracy of the VSONIC or Astrotec, but I don't know if I would prefer that to the bassier Brainwavz. I would prefer a durable pair of headphones, considering my track record, and lots of accessories would be nice, but sound is definitely the most important factor. My music collection is incredibly varied, as I listen to everything from death metal, movies scores, classic rock, old school RnB, to grunge, electronica, progressive rock, and basically anything else under the sun.

Any suggestions? I'm looking to stay under the $100 range, if at all possible. Again, if this is the wrong place to ask, I apologize. If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd be eternally grateful. Thanks, guys.

Ironstag.

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #3,515 of 5,364
looking for something that is super comfortable with a slightly bass heavy sound under 75. looking at beyerdynamic dt501,and CAL. a remote would be nice as would a removable or one sided cable, folding would also be nice. preferably on ear

Mar 28, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #3,516 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi,

I've owned a couple of pairs of etymotics and a couple of pairs of shures. my last pair were a set of SE530's. To be honest, they were not the most comfortable and the build quality was not great, but I was happy with the sound. The paint peeled and more annoyingly the rubber cable tubing detached themselves. They ended up being stolen and I bought a pair of sennheiser "isolating" earphones in the airport. They don't isolate ****. 

So now I'm in the market again, but I am a bit of a loss as I am not rushing back to the Shures.... My primary use is noise isolation for travelling and I use them for running as well. I listen mostly to 70's rock and indie rock with more electro when running.

I also use custom moulded silicone earplugs when sleeping, travelling or motorcycling. When I looked into getting the se530's fitted to a mold, the profile had them sticking out my ears. I would still prefer custom moulded, but the profile must not protrude from my ear in order to be comfortable with a motorcycle helmet. And the moulding service needs to be available in Australia.

Comfort, isolation, profile and of course natural sound replication, no amp required (iphone, ipod, computer, etc.)

Any tips?

SE535, Shure's new flagship, has way better build quality, same or better isolation, and better comfort. It also has custom mold that doesn't stick out much. The sound is almost identical to SE530 too.

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #3,517 of 5,364
Hello! I'm relatively new to this area and I need suggestions.

Currently, I own a Sennheiser CX 200 and PX 100-II, and I need an in-ear model that's close to the sound signatures of either of them. Also, if possible, would you recommend the CX 215/CX 300-II over the CX 200? I love the sound sig of the PX 100s, and I want a smaller version of it, for commuting/on-the-go use. Oh, and something to use while jogging, if it isn't too much to ask.

I'd say I won't spend beyond $60 for canalphones. As for in ears, maybe somewhere along $40.

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:28 AM Post #3,518 of 5,364
Quote:
So... I'm a bit lost on what to buy to get the biggest improvement in sound. I've been looking at The National by ALO a lot lately and have almost bought it a few times, but I keep wondering if it wouldn't be a better idea to upgrade my headphones first.

I have:
- iPod Classic
- Chris_Himself/Ted custom copper LOD
- FiiO E11
- Audio Technica ATH-M35 (full sized headphones)
- Rock It Sounds R-50 (IEM)

I think on-ear headphones would probably be the most ideal, but I'm happy with the size of my ATH-M35 for on the go. I've been looking at the Beyer Dynamic AT1350 and Sennheiser HD 25-1 II. I consider the sound of the ATH-M35 to be almost identical to the ATH-M50 (I own both). I used to think that I wanted the flattest sound possible, but now I think I'm more interested in a warmer, more tube-like sound. I listen to almost exclusively jazz, and I've been getting into classical. I also listen to deadmau5 occasionally, but I'm not really interested in lots of bass. I almost never use my R-50, extremely narrow soundstage, don't fit the best, and the highs are piercing whenever someone plays a high note on a trumpet. The headphones will need to have fairly good noise isolation because I'll be using them at school and leak as little sound as possible.

So I guess my biggest question is amp or headphones? And if headphones, would anyone recommend other models for $300.00 (ideally $250.00) or less?

The Rockit Sounds R-50 is already very good. I personally like IEMs much more than headphones and for $250 I would recommend Fischer DBA-02 MK2. It sounds marginally better than the R-50 however is leagues better in build quality. Not many IEMs are better than the R-50 in term of SQ under $250. I would probably go for a good amp and DAC.

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #3,519 of 5,364
Quote:
The Rockit Sounds R-50 is already very good. I personally like IEMs much more than headphones and for $250 I would recommend Fischer DBA-02 MK2. It sounds marginally better than the R-50 however is leagues better in build quality. Not many IEMs are better than the R-50 in term of SQ under $250. I would probably go for a good amp and DAC.

Thanks for the response, but I'm looking for over ear or on ear headphones.

Mar 29, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #3,521 of 5,364
I already mentioned all except the Momentum in my first post to this thread, but thanks. My whole post is kind of in the wrong category, it just fits best under this one. I'm wondering if my current headphones (I see them as in the same category as most $200-$250 headphones) are worth upgrading first, or if I should go ahead and purchase The National for it's supposedly nice sound signature.

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:03 AM Post #3,523 of 5,364
Quote:

Yes, had them for a month, and now borrowing them for another week or so. Vocals are lush, smooth, and emphasized enough while being just transparent enough (so would satisfy one major criteria). Not a lot of treble air/emphasis as you might have liked with the UE900. And the notes tend to go for a slower decay rate, very weighty, still extremely proficient but might not be to your preferences this time. They do amazing for J-Pop but not in the airy/light way that you would prefer.

And can't recommend a Miracle with any authority whatsoever. Absolutely no experience other than a couple of demos. So that would be a disservice as such.

Thanks TwinQY :)

@Mimouille :Thanks for the comparison.

Mar 29, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #3,524 of 5,364
Hi all :),

Recently my Head-Direct Re0's broke down and I'm looking for what to get as a replacement. I really liked my Re0's except for the fact that I always had the feeling that it lacked real bass for the type of music that I listen to (mostly house/electronic music, but I also to listen pop music). Now I thought the Shure SE215's might be a good option. Do you guys think I would like these more than my RE0's considering the type of music I listen to? Would you recommend them? And which other headphones would you advise me in the price range till +-100euros? 

Mar 29, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #3,525 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi all :),

Recently my Head-Direct Re0's broke down and I'm looking for what to get as a replacement. I really liked my Re0's except for the fact that I always had the feeling that it lacked real bass for the type of music that I listen to (mostly house/electronic music, but I also to listen pop music). Now I thought the Shure SE215's might be a good option. Do you guys think I would like these more than my RE0's considering the type of music I listen to? Would you recommend them? And which other headphones would you advise me in the price range till +-100euros? 

You should try Head-Direct (HiFiMan)'s own RE-400 -- I listened to it recently and I'm pretty sure it has more bass than RE0. Sounds damn good too for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back