Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Dec 10, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #1,861 of 5,364
Sup guys,

I have a $100 budget and am looking for PORTABLE, closed headphones or IEMs

I listen to a wide range of music. I would say that EDM, indie, and classical (usually "epic" soundtracks from movies) make the top of the list.

I should probably also mention that I have owned the  pana HJE900's and like the v sound signature. Unfortunately, the cord wasn't very durable and soon gave out on me. Several cord replacements later, I have concluded that it's time for new headphones. As of recently, I've been looking at the JVC S500's and the Sony MHC1. However, comfort and durability have kept me astray as I am unwilling to make modifications to the headphones. 

Enlighten me head-fiers! What should I purchase??

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #1,862 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi, I'm looking for a bassy IEM under $100 or so. I love my TripleFi 10, but sometimes I just want to indulge myself in a ton of bass. I had the Monster Turbines for about a week before, but the treble wasn't sparkly enough for me. I usually listen to alternative rock and electronica. Any suggestions? I heard that the Sony MH1C is good-will they suit my needs well? Thanks for the help.

P.S. Good isolation is preferred.

MH1C aren't sparkly by any means. The JVCs (FXD80, FXT90) have great globs of satisfying bass and are pretty sparkly.

Quote:
Sup guys,

I have a $100 budget and am looking for PORTABLE, closed headphones or IEMs

I listen to a wide range of music. I would say that EDM, indie, and classical (usually "epic" soundtracks from movies) make the top of the list.

I should probably also mention that I have owned the  pana HJE900's and like the v sound signature. Unfortunately, the cord wasn't very durable and soon gave out on me. Several cord replacements later, I have concluded that it's time for new headphones. As of recently, I've been looking at the JVC S500's and the Sony MHC1. However, comfort and durability have kept me astray as I am unwilling to make modifications to the headphones. 

Enlighten me head-fiers! What should I purchase??

For IEMs, look above at the JVCs. Fantastic for electronic. Will have to ask Doc about the full-sized stuff.

Quote:
Back here again, I've amped up my budget to around $200CAD. Still looking for an IEM with warm mids and an accurate but not overly punchy bass (not the main emphasis though). I've got small ears, so something that its comfortable with decent isolation would be great. It'd be great if the earphones themselves as a whole were fairly small. Thanks!

Oh, so you've bumped that budget. Immediately you know I'm going to say PFE122. But now you have the GR07, W2, and RE262 in the slough as well (warm mids, accurate bass). The Phonaks are again, very small and will most likely fit your ears better.

Quote:
hifiman re272 or more neutral rockit sounds r50 or vsonic gr07

You'll have to expand on the question a bit more. Are you asking which one is more neutral, or which one should suit you the best? If it's the latter, you'll have to describe your sound preferences, genres, etc.

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #1,864 of 5,364
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of upgrading from the TF10s and was wondering if I could get anything better for ~$200?

I'm in Australia and the Sony XBA-3s are going for $150. Are they any good?

Importantly, I want something that is comfortable, easy to wear/insert and is durable.

Thanks!

Dec 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #1,866 of 5,364
Hey guys,

I'm a newbie, looking for some advice. I'm after a pair of IEMs, price range is around $100, but I'd be willing to go a bit higher for the right set. I'll be using them primarily with my iPhone 4S, so an in-line mic and three-button control is a must. I'm also looking for reasonably small form factor as I plan to use them under a skiing helmet that has strapped down padded ear covers.

My last set were Spider Realvoice, which I got after reading some good reviews on here. Unfortunately there was too much hardware outside my ear to use them with the ski helmet. In any case, one of the drivers has stopped working and its not worth sending them back to get repaired. The in-ear fit with one of the standard tips was pretty good, and I liked them for having the mic located close to my mouth rather than way down on the main cable. http://www.head-fi.org/products/spider-realvoice-vertical-in-the-ear-headphone

I'm not an audiophile by any means, but like a bit of bass and clarity around the vocal range.

I've had a look through the Head-Fi equipment pages, but found it tough to narrow down those that had in-line mics and those that didn't.

Any suggestions would be awesome. Cheers!

Dec 11, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #1,867 of 5,364
Damaged my Triple Fi 10s that i bought on the forums here almost 2 years ago. Shattered, they still work, just the volume seems to not get up anywhere near where it used to. So i started researching the Shures and the Westones and i kept changing my mind about what i should get. I think i finally settled on the Westone UM3X's but would like to here a bit of support either way. Requirements: Around the $200 AUD mark. (up to about 250 US) Use with iPod 80gb & iPhone 4s primarily Noise cancellation preferred Listen to a lot of hard rock, stoner rock, acoustic guitar. In terms of what sound signature i like i really dont know how to describe it. I like my bass low, good clarity & a full chunky sound. I really enjoyed the Triple Fi' 10s, although i had a few problems with them not liking to stay in my ears which i think must be pretty small on the inside. Other ideas ive had have been: Westone UM2 Shure 315 but thats really it... i keep going round in circles! i love high quality gear but am not that rich so i want to make the most of my 200 or so dollars. Cheers!

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #1,869 of 5,364
Quote:
AKG K518 or the CAL! For a bass portable set? I've got an M50 but the bass just doesnt tickle my fancy enough

Size-wise, the CALs are portable enough. The AKGs will be even more portable (built more towards that application as well), isolates better, and hits harder down low.

Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm a newbie, looking for some advice. I'm after a pair of IEMs, price range is around $100, but I'd be willing to go a bit higher for the right set. I'll be using them primarily with my iPhone 4S, so an in-line mic and three-button control is a must. I'm also looking for reasonably small form factor as I plan to use them under a skiing helmet that has strapped down padded ear covers.

My last set were Spider Realvoice, which I got after reading some good reviews on here. Unfortunately there was too much hardware outside my ear to use them with the ski helmet. In any case, one of the drivers has stopped working and its not worth sending them back to get repaired. The in-ear fit with one of the standard tips was pretty good, and I liked them for having the mic located close to my mouth rather than way down on the main cable. http://www.head-fi.org/products/spider-realvoice-vertical-in-the-ear-headphone

I'm not an audiophile by any means, but like a bit of bass and clarity around the vocal range.

I've had a look through the Head-Fi equipment pages, but found it tough to narrow down those that had in-line mics and those that didn't.

Hard to find a inline mic AND a three button control at that price range. There's the S4, they have quite a bit of bass, but sound is sort of middling compared to the newer offers. There's also the HF3 which has both, fits deeply so the helmet thing isn't a worry, outstandingly clear, detailed and resolving, not to mention that they isolates like crazy. However, the bass is fairly flat and not emphasized.

Another small form-factor IEM would be the PFE022, but they only have a mic, not a remote.

Quote:
Is the Sony XB400 any good?
They are on sale for $35 today. I'm think to pull my trigger.

The old XB lineup were good enough. Not sure about the newer ones, but if they're on sale, no harm in trying them out. Who knows, they might actually be amazing.

Quote:
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of upgrading from the TF10s and was wondering if I could get anything better for ~$200?

I'm in Australia and the Sony XBA-3s are going for $150. Are they any good?

Importantly, I want something that is comfortable, easy to wear/insert and is durable.

Thanks!

XBA-3s for 150 are decent. For the 99$ price at the Future Shop sale, they were even better, but more than likely they won't come close to that price again. Comfort is a strength with them, build is plastic, but the decent kind that would most likely last. Full-bodied bass and mids, sometimes stuff gets a bit diffused, but overall a good phone.

Quote:
Damaged my Triple Fi 10s that i bought on the forums here almost 2 years ago. Shattered, they still work, just the volume seems to not get up anywhere near where it used to. So i started researching the Shures and the Westones and i kept changing my mind about what i should get. I think i finally settled on the Westone UM3X's but would like to here a bit of support either way. Requirements: Around the $200 AUD mark. (up to about 250 US) Use with iPod 80gb & iPhone 4s primarily Noise cancellation preferred Listen to a lot of hard rock, stoner rock, acoustic guitar. In terms of what sound signature i like i really dont know how to describe it. I like my bass low, good clarity & a full chunky sound. I really enjoyed the Triple Fi' 10s, although i had a few problems with them not liking to stay in my ears which i think must be pretty small on the inside. Other ideas ive had have been: Westone UM2 Shure 315 but thats really it... i keep going round in circles! i love high quality gear but am not that rich so i want to make the most of my 200 or so dollars. Cheers!

Fun, chunky, sounds like the UM3X. They do good with those kinds of rock IMO, since soundstage is less of a worry, and these separate and resolve better than they present a large stage. I think you'll be good with them.

Dec 11, 2012 at 5:55 AM Post #1,870 of 5,364
Hey guys,

Seen some good reveiws of the Velodyne vPulse that seems to fit most or all your needs (not sure how good the vocal clarity is). I am considering buying a pair myself but might end up going for a more expensive Monster model (Tributes maybe... Need more input).

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #1,871 of 5,364
Hello everyone! 

After a couple years of Bose IE2's, I've decided its time for new headphones. When it comes to headphone use, I use them for either casual listening (for a couple hours) or while active, such as when I'm at the gym or running. For that reason, I'd prefer it if the headphones had a tendency to stay inside the ears, and comfortably also. I really enjoyed the IE2's for that reason, and I would buy another pair of IE2's, but people have told me I can do better for that amount of money. 

Volume control buttons would be nice, but not necessary. Same goes for mic. 

I'd also like something with a bit of bass - not so much that my head will hurt afterwards, but enough to enjoy. Don't know if this matters, but I'll be using them with a GS3, an iPod, and with a computer. My budget is around $150! 

Thank you so much!

Dec 11, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #1,872 of 5,364
Hello! 

Im seeking guidance on which headphone or inear that i should get. I have a pricerange of 0-200 dollars and i listen to everything except hiphop and rnb. My favourite artists are Frank Sinatra, Peter Gabriel and Sting. 

Im want a headphone/in-ear with very good isolation and comfort. You may also wanna know that my earcanals are very, very small and in-ears hardly fit, but if you got any recomendations please tell me! I really wanna try in-ears because i've tried so many headphones.

I don't want the m50s 

Cheers 

Dec 11, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #1,873 of 5,364
Hi,

I'm looking on head-fi for a while now, and was looking for good portable headphone / IEM.
I found some that are reccomended a few times around this forum. and also looked at the multi reviews of both IEM and portable from |Joker| 

I think these are pretty good for using in public transport by looking at reviews/impressions.
but an "expert" ( at least more expert than me :p ) opinion from you guys here, would be great.

JVC HA-S400 
AKG K 81DJ / K518
Vsonic GR02 (bass edition)

-budget is like these are priced, so around 30-50 euro's ( $40 - $65 )
    -music preference is hardstyle ( bass heavy is not a bad thing, but needs to be tight punchy i guess. mid's and highs are important too)
    -i live in holland. ( don't know if this is important for tip's)
    -i don't want too much sound leakage, ( I'm going to use it in the train to go to school)

what do you suggest. wich is the best? other portable/IEM 's you recommend.

I would really be like people's thoughts on this, and be thankful of it.

,Dieder / innox

Users who are viewing this thread

Back