Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Dec 17, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #1,891 of 5,364
My A151 has broken down and I'm trying to find a replacement and maybe something better. But I wanted to mod the A151 since it's only the wires that broke so I'm not going out to buy a new set of the same.

Sound wise, my complaints on the A151 is that the sound ends up getting muddled when exposed to songs with very fast beats. So I find myself stuffing less rock songs on my portable player. I don't mind something similar to the A151, I can live with less rock songs, but something better is much preferred.

Mostly listen to Classic, Pop, and a little RnB and Rock. female and male vocals ends up about even so no bias on voices is preferred.

Currently I'm looking at the following:
R-50
GR07
GR01

So R-50 or GR01, which one is better for my needs, and is it worth the price premium to get the GR01?

I wanted the GR07 for a change (Dynamic instead of Armature) is it worth getting over the above 2 and is the change significant?

Sorry for the weird or general questions. I've read the reviews but I'm still not convinced which one to get. I can't shake off the price advantage of the R-50, but I wanted to try dynamic so was tempted to get the GR07 and reading about the GR01 and the big discount lendmeurears is giving, I now seem to be going back and forth with GR01 and R-50. (I know paying 65 bucks more to save 50 bucks sounds stupid but here it's getting the next tier ...)

Getting one of these 3 from lendmeurears, so you can check there for the price difference.

Edit: Paragraphs

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #1,892 of 5,364

IEMs with mic for non iOS smartphone?

Looking for good sounding IEMs with mic so I can answer the phone (non iPhone!) while riding bike, skiing etc.

I`ve been reading reviews and forums for over a week and still not quite made my mind.

As for sound I prefer maximum detalization over powerful bass.

Music genres: pretty lots of metal (trash, groove, tech death and so on), metalcore, intellectual electonic, ambient, psy trance, intelligent hip-hop, post rock, jazz, funk, blues, classic and pretty much everything else except house, d'n'b and pop music.

They also should be comfortable with helmet.

At the moment I am looking at Shure SE 315 - the sound should be nice without excessive bass, they seem really ergonomic (used to have similar fischer audio - liked them a lot!) for helmet use, and I really like the ability to change the cable (in case of damage) and buy one with a mic compatible with non iOS phones.

And I am into really quality build ones.

I also considered Etymotic hf2 but I dont like deep insertion (have certain problems with my easrs at tho moment) and they might be very uncomfortable with helmet of while sleeping.

Did I miss something? Should I look at some other models, will 315 be good for my music and sound liking?

Thanks! 

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #1,893 of 5,364
For mic on non-iOS devices, I found the Jabra Clipper (or it's newer more hip cousin) to be a better option than limiting my choices to IEMs with mics. Soundwise, I don't hear much difference with my IEMs plugged to the phone or to the Clipper. so either the Clipper has a good DAC comparable to my phone or my IEMs are low quality and it's negligible.

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #1,894 of 5,364
Hey guys looking for some good fun IEMs for the gym since my MEElectronics M9 crapped out on me the other day. Mostly looking for good isolation, comfort, and somewhat bassy. Also something that is built for the long run and can be tossed without breaking would be great. Looking at the JVC FX40, JVC FX101, Brainwavz M5, Hippo VB, Soundmagic E10, Atrio MG7? Would like to stay under $100 

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #1,896 of 5,364
I was thinking about getting into IEM's rather than my large amount of over ear headphones. Anyways, I'm looking for some IEM's that are mainly for rock music. What I want is s nice full bass, it doesn't need to be overpowering just noticeable. I want forward mids, this is what I enjoy most out headphones is a foward mid range. Also I would like extended highs. My budget is around 250 dollars but it can be a little higher if worth it.

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #1,897 of 5,364
Quote:
I was thinking about getting into IEM's rather than my large amount of over ear headphones. Anyways, I'm looking for some IEM's that are mainly for rock music. What I want is s nice full bass, it doesn't need to be overpowering just noticeable. I want forward mids, this is what I enjoy most out headphones is a foward mid range. Also I would like extended highs. My budget is around 250 dollars but it can be a little higher if worth it.

For rock? How loud do you tend to listen? I ask because it's going to affect what I recommend.

Dec 18, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #1,899 of 5,364
Quote:
Really loud. Sometimes a like my music quiet but usually pretty loud. I listen to almost all my portable headphones on full blast out of my iphone.

Wow, that's pretty damn loud. You might go deaf soon.

Your best bet would be the Vsonic GR07 MKII. You can go to my profile and look at the iems I've owned and auditioned, and I've yet to hear a phone under $1,000 that does rock better. Electric guitars sound like the amplifiers are your ear drums with how lifelike they sound, and drums are ultra realistic and very speedy.

The bass is very organic, and textured to the point where some guitars almost grooaan. 

In your case, it has the bonus of never distorting...even at the volumes you listen. They're only $165 at amazon right now...http://www.amazon.com/Dynamic-Isolation-Earphones-Earbuds-multiple/dp/B005FDXZJU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355859736&sr=8-1&keywords=vsonic+gr07

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #1,900 of 5,364
Hi all, trying one more time here since both my deskbound cans and earbuds are falling apart. My original post from this spring is reproduced below, but to make it more concise I need something very portable (IEM or collapsible cans) with good enough isolation to use at high volume in a library, sufficient bass and upper-mids for symphonic metal (the percussion and guitars you expect from metal plus violin and clear, sometimes operatic, female vocals) (other genres, too, but I think that will be the most demanding, except maybe a cappella metal), and a price below $300 (including amp if an item requires one to shine). Head-Fi really helped when I got my current cans several years ago, so I'd really appreciate some input. :) eke2k6, I see you recommend one of the items on my short list for loud rock. Do you think it would also be the best option for me, considering my other requirements?
Quote:
Needs:
  1. Transportable: stationary w/ laptop, not jogging w/MP3 player. I’m considering both full cans and IEMs. There’s not much room to add to my daily gear, but cans that fold up really tightly might do. If I do get cans, I’d prefer circumaural.
  2. Isolation: both blocking external noise and preventing leakage. I should be able to use these to my comfort in a noisy room or to others’ in a library.
  3. Bass: I’m used to the sound of the Sennheiser HD595. It has a good range (I can hear it down to about 10 Hz if I turn it up enough), but sometimes I wish it had a bit more power at the bottom end, and I use smiley face EQ pretty often. I really need my bass, but not at the expense of clarity. :)
  4. Agility: I listen to reasonably complex music, such as symphonic metal. That means heavy percussion, dirty guitars, clean vocals, and bowed strings, all at the same time.
  5. Accuracy: I listen to FLACs whenever possible. Enough said.

Negotiable:
  1. Price: I don’t have an exact price range, but let’s say less than USD250.
  2. Comfort: It would be nice if I could use these to help me fall asleep when traveling, but that’s not a huge deal. I’ve managed to fall asleep with both the HD595 and stock iPod earbuds. The idea of rolling around with something pushed deep in my ear makes me a bit uncomfortable, though.

Sample Music: Ayreon, Bellefire, Celldweller, Delain, Hinder, Karpatenhund, Mesh, Neuroticfish, Nightwish, Poets of the Fall, Sabaton, Star One, Turisas, van Canto, VNV Nation, Within Temptation. See my profile for more details if you care.

I’ve put a good deal of time into going through the big comparison threads and have picked out four candidates. Do these fit with my requirements? Which would you recommend? I only really know the sound of speakers, open cans, and horrible stock earbuds, so I’m at a bit of a loss here.
  1. Klipsch Image X10
  2. Fischer Audio DBA-02 mkII
  3. VSonic GR07
  4. Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Also, in this price bracket, is an amp or DAC worth it? If so, would a FiiO E7 suffice, or is the iBasso D-Zero worth the extra money?

Dec 18, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #1,901 of 5,364
Hi all, trying one more time here since both my deskbound cans and earbuds are falling apart. My original post from this spring is reproduced below, but to make it more concise I need something very portable (IEM or collapsible cans) with good enough isolation to use at high volume in a library, sufficient bass and upper-mids for symphonic metal (the percussion and guitars you expect from metal plus violin and clear, sometimes operatic, female vocals) (other genres, too, but I think that will be the most demanding, except maybe a cappella metal), and a price below $300 (including amp if an item requires one to shine). Head-Fi really helped when I got my current cans several years ago, so I'd really appreciate some input. :) eke2k6, I see you recommend one of the items on my short list for loud rock. Do you think it would also be the best option for me, considering my other requirements?

Yep, my recommendation applies to you too. 

As for DACs, I got the Fiio E10 mainly to circumvent the noisy jack on my laptop. I got a nice little SQ boost too.

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #1,903 of 5,364
Hello.

Ever sine I bought m th HD 558's my cheap sony earbuds just don't do it for me anymore. So now i'm looking for a new pair of IEM's to contrast th HD 558's.
My budget is aroun 60 to 80$ range though I can go to 100$ if I have to.

I'll be usein these for handheld gaming and mucic from an android that i'll be getting soon so thse are more for traveling while my HD 558's are for home use.
For genres I listen to rock, metal, alternate, techno, and orchestra like two steps from hell.

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #1,904 of 5,364
Looking for a pair of semi-cheap IEMs for music around town/work. I have a pair of V-Moda LP2s but I do not want to wear them around town, I dont work in the best part of the city and Im worried about them being stolen.

I mainly listen to dubstep, with some metal and country, plus a little bit of calmer piano type music mixed it. I do like bass, not so much that it overpowers the mids and screws up the highs, but enough that I will feel it, like my LP2s.

I would really like in-line controls to be used with my iPod. I was pointed towards Shure Se215s but the control line is an extra $50. I also looked into the GR06s but they do not have controls at all. 

Mainly I just dont want to spend more than $100, I need to save my money for a new computer. I may be willing to stretch as much as $150 but only if it is highly recommended above something else in my price range.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Nevermind, I just bought a pair of Klipsch Image X10s off Amazon in impulse because of their 75% off price over the MSRP. Any comments on how satisfied I will be?

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #1,905 of 5,364
Ok I'm looking for something good specifically for progressive metal/hard rock, mainly Tool, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Blind Guardian, and Soundgarden (yes i know bg is an outlier). Also Metallica, Led Zeppelin, August Burns Red, and In Flames (excluding everything after Clayman) also work their way in there. I would like something that encompasses all of these but mainly the ones from the first group. I'm willing to pay up to around $400 and I realy have no basis for comparison.

I have done some research and at the moment I feel like the best option I've found l may be W4s but I'm not sure. I'm making a purchase soon so I would realy like a response as soon as possible. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back