Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Dec 7, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #1,831 of 5,364
Dec 7, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #1,833 of 5,364
Quote:
after looking through there I think I'll stick to the local store I'm kind of set on the 215s but just noticed that cc has the s4i as well as the s5i on for 70
I know that the s4 has been considered by many on here overall worse than the 215 but outside of hf they have been said to be great iems.
would they be a better choice atm?

They aren't bad, used to be praised around here as well. Just mediocre against the Shures IMO. The SE215 have the fuller bass and richer mids, but the treble roll-off could be considered a deterrent.  S4 will have more treble quantity (a bit strident though).

Quote:
Dang it...I use PayPal and they don't take orders unless I have enough money in my account. Bank transfers take 3-5 business days and I don't have a credit card. Just my luck. T_T

All these coupons....guess the holidays have already come. Great, now I have to stock up on gifts 
frown.gif

Quote:
I am going to with the XT90...but how come the price is so much different between these two? They have the same exact specs, what do I do?

http://www.accessoryjack.com/jvc-ha-fxt90l2-twin-system-inner-ear-phone-gold.html?gclid=CKr6haTbiLQCFQRnOgodQx0A7A

http://www.accessoryjack.com/jvc-ha-fxt90-twin-system-inner-ear-phone-black.html

The L2 are limited editions with some gold splashed on. Differences are mainly aesthetic.

Quote:
For the quickly approaching holidays I'm looking to pick up a new set of IEMs that have an inline mic/buttons to work with my iphone 4s.
Looking at the gear section I saw that, what might be the top rated ones are some Sony's and the klipsch s4i

So I wanted to check in and get other's opinions and possible other options.
Kind of working with a budget where I'd like to spend under 50 for them -if possible but open to checking out a pair slightly more expensive if it's really worth it.
I listen to a lot of music ranging from punk/hardcore to folk and jazz and sometimes, but rarely,  use my headphones for movies.
I take really good care of my headphones and electronics in general - so I've found what may not last well for some generally lasts a while for me.

Anyway, any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

No one really pays attention to the gear rankings. That's mainly based on the number of people who have listed them on their headphone list (again, who uses that?
wink.gif
) Not an indicator of gear quality.

At that price, one of the best IEM with mic/remote would be the MH1C or the M5. Not many choices to compete with though. If you can stretch that budget a little bit, you could go for the Ety MC5 or the PFE022. Any of them would be good for your genres.

Dec 7, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #1,834 of 5,364
Hey everyone,

I've found a couple of questions like this, but can't find the responses so I'm going to post.  I'm considering purchasing a new set of IEMs.  I started looking around the web and got completely overwhelmed.

I currently own Shure e2c and Shure SE210s. I liked both of these and I'm currently using the SE210S with the black foam tips.  What I hate, is pulling up my ear and waiting for the foam to expand before getting a good seal and then someone comes in my office and asks a question, and I pull it out, answer and have to put it back in.  I know this sounds like a #FirstWorldProblem, but I find it annoying when I have to do it multiple times.  While the weird cord connector on the SE210 drives me crazy, I don't mind wearing it behind my ear.

After poking around here for a while it's clear that I'm not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination.  I listen primarily from my iphone or computer at work, while traveling and working out.  I couldn't describe the sound stage or what the response and flavor of my current SE210s are.  I imagine I'm looking for a "commercial" sound, relatively easy, warm sounds like a good adjective.  The music I listen to most is Pop, Broadway, Opera, Alternative, Rock and Classical. (so pretty much everything)

Key items for me in selecting are: good isolation, comfortable to wear for long periods, easy to insert and remove, replacable cords, apple iphone controls might be nice, and I don't intend to use an amp.

What I'd like is some help narrowing down my choices.

First, would a custom IEM really satisfy my "easy to insert and remove" desire?
I've watched the custom IEM insertion video, it looks like it's pretty easy to put them in and take them out.  Is this true?
If so, will any custom give me the isolation I'm looking for?

I'm not particularly price sensitive, but as a casual listener I can't really justify spending $1000+ on these.  But could be convinced to spend up to $500+ maybe a little more if I knew they were going to be something I loved.  But with my ears, it seems a mid-range custom could be just fine for what I'm hoping to get.

What things as a listener, not a performer, should I look for in a quality headphone?  What should I be wary of?  I'm guessing as a non-professional, I wouldn't want a reference monitor?

Are there custom shops that are easier to work with? Nicer? Good people?  I like the idea of an american shop, reshelling posiblity (if the purchase is on the high end of $$).

Thanks for the help.

Matt

Dec 7, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #1,835 of 5,364
Quote:

Quote:
Dang it...I use PayPal and they don't take orders unless I have enough money in my account. Bank transfers take 3-5 business days and I don't have a credit card. Just my luck. T_T

All these coupons....guess the holidays have already come. Great, now I have to stock up on gifts 
frown.gif

Yeah EarphoneSolutions seems to have a lot of sales nowadays. Yesterday they were advertising free shipping on $85+ orders.
I'll end up getting 2 SE215's, both of which are the clear white colour because I think it's awesome to see the internals of electronic products. I ordered one of them from Headphones.com (15% off), the other, with the iPhone controls, from EarphoneSolutions whenever my bank transfer finishes doing its thing.

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #1,836 of 5,364
Hello head fi members!

Been lurking around here the last couple of days, reading a whole lot of threads for the sole purpose of educating myself on the subject of headphones and my future purchase of a new pair. At the moment I'm in the possession of a pair of WesC headphones (I know, pathetic, right?) which I bought approximately 6 years ago when I didn't know any better. Now, I've finally realized it's about time I buy new ones so I can listen to music the way it's supposed to. 

Anyway, for the most part I listen to Electronica, Classic, Rock and Pop music. A pair of versatile (and portable!) headphones which sound good with any genre would be ideal. Isolation would be a slight priority as well. 

At the moment I'm looking at:

V moda crossfade m80
Sennheiser HD25 1 ii     

(the two frontrunners)

but also the DT1350, ATH ESW-9, B&W P5 and JVC HA-S500. There's been some great reviews and comments already on this site on the m80 and HD25's but any further comment would be great, as I'm probably picking between those two and I'm having a real tough time choosing which one to buy. I would probably be open to full size phones too, but then they'd need to be slim and neat, not like the M50's. Suggestions?

200 euros or so to spend. If there are any other phones I've forgotten to mention that are in this price bracket, feel free to recommend any!

Cheers

Firmestpiano

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #1,837 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello head fi members!

Been lurking around here the last couple of days, reading a whole lot of threads for the sole purpose of educating myself on the subject of headphones and my future purchase of a new pair. At the moment I'm in the possession of a pair of WesC headphones (I know, pathetic, right?) which I bought approximately 6 years ago when I didn't know any better. Now, I've finally realized it's about time I buy new ones so I can listen to music the way it's supposed to. 

Anyway, for the most part I listen to Electronica, Classic, Rock and Pop music. A pair of versatile (and portable!) headphones which sound good with any genre would be ideal. Isolation would be a slight priority as well. 

At the moment I'm looking at:

V moda crossfade m80
Sennheiser HD25 1 ii     

(the two frontrunners)

but also the DT1350, ATH ESW-9, B&W P5 and JVC HA-S500. There's been some great reviews and comments already on this site on the m80 and HD25's but any further comment would be great, as I'm probably picking between those two and I'm having a real tough time choosing which one to buy. I would probably be open to full size phones too, but then they'd need to be slim and neat, not like the M50's. Suggestions?

200 euros or so to spend. If there are any other phones I've forgotten to mention that are in this price bracket, feel free to recommend any!

Cheers

Firmestpiano

If isolation is a priority, keep note that the M-80s are vented. Not open or semi-open though. Sound doesn't really leak outside, but these won't isolate as much as the HD25-1 (which isolate amazingly, the clamp is hard, the pads block out almost all noise, they're akin to IEMs almost. And for Electronic and rock, I would spring for the more aggressive and tighter hitting HD25-1.

Dec 9, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #1,838 of 5,364
Quote:
If isolation is a priority, keep note that the M-80s are vented. Not open or semi-open though. Sound doesn't really leak outside, but these won't isolate as much as the HD25-1 (which isolate amazingly, the clamp is hard, the pads block out almost all noise, they're akin to IEMs almost. And for Electronic and rock, I would spring for the more aggressive and tighter hitting HD25-1.

The difference between them probably doesn't make that much of difference to me. They both seem decent isolation wise. Still it's a real hard choice because I can't compare the two, when it comes to sound quality. Haven't listened to em, nor could I with the V moda as there aren't any stores here that have them. 

Thanks for the advice!

Dec 9, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #1,839 of 5,364
I have a Phonak PFE122, I'm not sure where to go from here.

I've owned RE0's previous to this, the 112's were the only IEM I tried that I liked, at the price range. They had the same sort of consistency as the RE0's, but just better overall. So thats essentially what I want in earphones.

I listen mainly to punk, indie with emphasis on guitar and vocals. I need something that can handle the fastest punk and the softest indie, which the RE0 and 122 handled nicely. However its Christmas time and I feel like treating myself to a present. So any reccomendations? for the $250 and under range?

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #1,840 of 5,364
Oops, I just realized I posted this in the portables thread rather than the full-sized thread because I had them both open at the time.  I'm not picky whether portable or not, but I probably won't be toting them around with me.

Dec 9, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #1,841 of 5,364
Quote:
The difference between them probably doesn't make that much of difference to me. They both seem decent isolation wise. Still it's a real hard choice because I can't compare the two, when it comes to sound quality. Haven't listened to em, nor could I with the V moda as there aren't any stores here that have them. 

Thanks for the advice!

Have had them side by side. Trust me, the difference in isolation is very apparent. 

Quote:
I have a Phonak PFE122, I'm not sure where to go from here.
I've owned RE0's previous to this, the 112's were the only IEM I tried that I liked, at the price range. They had the same sort of consistency as the RE0's, but just better overall. So thats essentially what I want in earphones.
I listen mainly to punk, indie with emphasis on guitar and vocals. I need something that can handle the fastest punk and the softest indie, which the RE0 and 122 handled nicely. However its Christmas time and I feel like treating myself to a present. So any reccomendations? for the $250 and under range?

Look into the W2 (mid-centric), RE262, and maybe the GR01.

Dec 9, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #1,842 of 5,364
Hi guys, new to the forums could really use some help picking a new IEM

[size=small]Basically my budget is around $150/$160 and I am looking for a quality all-round IEM that excels in soundstage width and depth. My source will be an iphone 4 and ipod classic 80gb (currently without an amp but I would be willing to invest if necessary). I will be listening to a wide variety of music such as classical, alternative rock (a LOT of live concert recordings) & hip hop to name just three. I would like a decent amount of isolation but not as a top priority. I am particularly interested in something with an awe-inspiring soundstage (or at least as awe-inspiring as an IEM in this price range can offer) and good clarity and separation. My only previous IEMs were the audio sunrise xcape which i really enjoyed but now I want to make a significant step up in quality. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.[/size]

Dec 9, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #1,843 of 5,364
Quote:
Hi guys, new to the forums could really use some help picking a new IEM

[size=small]Basically my budget is around $150/$160 and I am looking for a quality all-round IEM that excels in soundstage width and depth. My source will be an iphone 4 and ipod classic 80gb (currently without an amp but I would be willing to invest if necessary). I will be listening to a wide variety of music such as classical, alternative rock (a LOT of live concert recordings) & hip hop to name just three. I would like a decent amount of isolation but not as a top priority. I am particularly interested in something with an awe-inspiring soundstage (or at least as awe-inspiring as an IEM in this price range can offer) and good clarity and separation. My only previous IEMs were the audio sunrise xcape which i really enjoyed but now I want to make a significant step up in quality. Any help will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.[/size]

Soundstage-wise, the EPH-100 is really good in that regard. Other good all-rounders would be the PFE122, GR07.

Dec 9, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #1,844 of 5,364
I need some IEM's for working out (the only cardio will be on an eliptical) and for use with my Vita (DJ Max Technica Tune FTW!). Here are the bands I regularly listen to:

KMFDM
Nine Inch Nails
Dream Theater
Depeche Mode
Tristania
ohGr
Skinny Puppy
Battlelore
Ayria
Tool

I am considering the Velodyne vPulse (or how about the Atrio Future Sonic 010-045 Earphone with MG7 Pro technology?) and/or the Sennheiser CX 685. Would these be good for my musical prefrences or is there something that would be more fitting for my tastes? Also I see the COD MW3 Munitio's are dirt cheap right now are they worth it for under $20?

Dec 9, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #1,845 of 5,364
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to decide between the Audio Technica CKM500 and Sony XBA-1 earphones.
Both are within my budget and I've actually already owned the CKM500s but the cable got damaged which should not have happened since I carry it around in a hard case. 

Anyway, I listen a lot to rock and what's really important to me is comfort, ease of insertion (I have the TF10s and they're quite troublesome to wear + my ears get "tired" after awhile from listening to them) and clarity.

I'd prefer them to sound warm and "fun"

Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back