Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Dec 6, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #1,816 of 5,364
The HD-25-1 might be a bit sharp in the treble for JPop, JRock. Vocals on the M-80s are smoother, warmer, generally better for pop. The HD-25-1 are slightly more aggressive and more fun for rock though. Any examples of the J-pop/J-rock that you're going for? Supercell, Perfume, Visual-Kei stuff, Pillows, m-flo, Tokyo Jihen? 

The cables on the Tours are flat and unruly. So pretty much most other IEMs at that price would have better cables. Any idea on sound preferences/musical genres? 

HF5s are good for monitoring. Flat sound throughout the spectrum, maybe a slight tinge of treble emphasis. GR07, SE215, might be worth looking into as well, but probably won't be as flat as the Etys.

At that price, you could get stuff like the GR01, GR07, ER4P, MTPC, W2, most of the mid-level IEMs are available at your price. Sound will generally be better than a dedicated bluetooth headset, since most of the money's going to SQ and build. Any of those would do well for your genres, just depends on the sound signature that you want.

FXT90 or the FXD80. Both JVCs sound stupendous with techno. No amp needed. If you can find the XBA-3 on sale again, go for that. Nice, full-bodied sound, great performer.

Stuff like supercell, egoist, gumi, deca 27 for j pop and for j rock I guess something like flashback by akiakane to anime songs like the mirai nikki opening. J pop and j rock are 2 genres I've only recently discovered and fallen in love with, so I've still got a lot of stuff to explore, particularly in j rock
Any other headphones you could recommend that might be suited for both? Thank yee for the reply!

Some examples
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=ZAZzLZbwRTE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DZAZzLZbwRTE&gl=GB
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3UckVggsdA8
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XlmWw-_BAXo
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KMcfbSodTec
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-4O8YI9-nNk

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #1,817 of 5,364
Well, the music I listen to has a mix of just beats and vocals. I want something that balances both really well. I was looking at the T-Peos H100 but I read it sucks for vocals. any other suggestions?

As for examples anything played on "A State of Trance"

and this sort of music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGJda-pXeXM

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #1,818 of 5,364
Hello,

Im looking for in ear headphones.  As far as what i have so far, i have the ATH-M50s and the Senheiser HD280s.  I love both of these headsets.  The HD280s have a better overall sound and the M50s for the extra bass and just a damn good sound.  But they are quite large.  I need an every day pair that sound great, i can use while running or working out, and i can pretty much carry with me at all times and stick in my pants pocket when im not using them.

My price range is Under $200 ideally.
 So far what has caught my eye are:

Klipsch Image X10 - i was leaning towards these which i see for around $100 but i noticed on the company website they are discontinued.
thinksound ts02+mic - these sound pretty solid.

I am open to suggestion.  So, any help i can get would be much appreciated.  I mostly listen to hip hop and love Bass, though i like to hear the full range of sound. 
Thanks.

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #1,819 of 5,364
Quote:
Hello,

Im looking for in ear headphones.  As far as what i have so far, i have the ATH-M50s and the Senheiser HD280s.  I love both of these headsets.  The HD280s have a better overall sound and the M50s for the extra bass and just a damn good sound.  But they are quite large.  I need an every day pair that sound great, i can use while running or working out, and i can pretty much carry with me at all times and stick in my pants pocket when im not using them.

My price range is Under $200 ideally.
 So far what has caught my eye are:

Klipsch Image X10 - i was leaning towards these which i see for around $100 but i noticed on the company website they are discontinued.
thinksound ts02+mic - these sound pretty solid.

I am open to suggestion.  So, any help i can get would be much appreciated.  I mostly listen to hip hop and love Bass, though i like to hear the full range of sound. 
Thanks.

If you want a bit more bass, the MTPG are 140 on amazon right now. If you want a more balanced sound though, there's the PFE122, GR07, GR01, that are immensely good all-round. Can't go wrong with any of them.

Quote:
Stuff like supercell, egoist, gumi, deca 27 for j pop and for j rock I guess something like flashback by akiakane to anime songs like the mirai nikki opening. J pop and j rock are 2 genres I've only recently discovered and fallen in love with, so I've still got a lot of stuff to explore, particularly in j rock
Any other headphones you could recommend that might be suited for both? Thank yee for the reply!
Some examples
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=ZAZzLZbwRTE&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DZAZzLZbwRTE&gl=GB
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3UckVggsdA8
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XlmWw-_BAXo
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KMcfbSodTec
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-4O8YI9-nNk

Yeah, probably the M-80s will be your ticket. Good balance of slightly emphasized bass and smooth warm vocals. I'd also look at the A900X (amazing vocals for JPop).

Quote:
Well, the music I listen to has a mix of just beats and vocals. I want something that balances both really well. I was looking at the T-Peos H100 but I read it sucks for vocals. any other suggestions?

As for examples anything played on "A State of Trance"

and this sort of music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGJda-pXeXM

When I get the H-100, I'll try and confirm that 
tongue.gif
. The JVC options still stand as amazing for trance, EDM, techno. 

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #1,820 of 5,364
If you want a bit more bass, the MTPG are 140 on amazon right now. If you want a more balanced sound though, there's the PFE122, GR07, GR01, that are immensely good all-round. Can't go wrong with any of them.

Yeah, probably the M-80s will be your ticket. Good balance of slightly emphasized bass and smooth warm vocals. I'd also look at the A900X (amazing vocals for JPop).

When I get the H-100, I'll try and confirm that :p . The JVC options still stand as amazing for trance, EDM, techno. 

All the JVCs on amazon and eBay say Japanese import and I'm worried about getting a fake headset. No one in the states has them.

Dec 7, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #1,821 of 5,364
Quote:
All the JVCs on amazon and eBay say Japanese import and I'm worried about getting a fake headset. No one in the states has them.

Well, of course, they are Japan-only after. The design on these are most likely way too obscure to even think about faking though. I got my pair from Aoyama through amazon, pretty sure they weren't fake when I had them. I've heard many a good cases with Aoyama. Shouldn't worry too much on that. The FXT90 are available in the US and Canada though.

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #1,822 of 5,364
Hey, not sure if this is the right place to post this first time poster, on and off reader over the last year or so.

I'm looking to replace my buds (left bud quit after 3 years) right now I’m looking at the:

Beyer dynamic mmx/dtx 101 ie @ 99
Shure se215 @ 99
Audio technica ath anc23 @ 65

I’m curious if anyone has any exp with all three of these to give a good opinion on whether or not the lower price still leaves the anc23s competitive

At my local store (Canada computers) these are the best in my budget that I can find

Ofc open to other suggestions but would prefer to buy in person and cc seems to offer the best prices atm(what id like to spend at most 100 or so before tax)

i listen to a variety of genres and i prefer something a little more bass heavy

Once again apologies if this has been asked in the past and/or if I’m in the wrong place to be asking.
Thanks in advance

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #1,823 of 5,364
Quote:
Hey, not sure if this is the right place to post this first time poster, on and off reader over the last year or so.

I'm looking to replace my buds (left bud quit after 3 years) right now I’m looking at the:

Beyer dynamic mmx/dtx 101 ie @ 99
Shure se215 @ 99
Audio technica ath anc23 @ 65

I’m curious if anyone has any exp with all three of these to give a good opinion on whether or not the lower price still leaves the anc23s competitive

At my local store (Canada computers) these are the best in my budget that I can find

Ofc open to other suggestions but would prefer to buy in person and cc seems to offer the best prices atm(what id like to spend at most 100 or so before tax)

i listen to a variety of genres and i prefer something a little more bass heavy

Once again apologies if this has been asked in the past and/or if I’m in the wrong place to be asking.
Thanks in advance

No, you're in the right place. 
tongue.gif

The ATs aren't very impressive sounding, assuming that WAS the NC IEM model that I tried out (honestly can't remember all these model numbers). The SE215 will be a good all-rounder, as well as having a slight bass bump that "funs" up the sound. There's also headfone shop and Bay Bloor Audio near you, they might have even more of a selection of stuff to demo. Headphone Bar in Vancouver has a bunch of IEMs, and the shipping costs are dirt cheap.

Dec 7, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #1,824 of 5,364
Quote:
No, you're in the right place. 
tongue.gif

The ATs aren't very impressive sounding, assuming that WAS the NC IEM model that I tried out (honestly can't remember all these model numbers). The SE215 will be a good all-rounder, as well as having a slight bass bump that "funs" up the sound. There's also headfone shop and Bay Bloor Audio near you, they might have even more of a selection of stuff to demo. Headphone Bar in Vancouver has a bunch of IEMs, and the shipping costs are dirt cheap.

The impression i've gotten from BBA is that they have lack of variety for iems but specifically in terms of shure and bd they dont carry the latter(if going by their site is accurate)

as for headphone bar they seem to have good variety but are slanted heavily to more expensive products. assuming you've bought from them in the past what kind of shipping times would i be expecting?

Dec 7, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #1,825 of 5,364
Quote:
The impression i've gotten from BBA is that they have lack of variety for iems but specifically in terms of shure and bd they dont carry the latter(if going by their site is accurate)

as for headphone bar they seem to have great variety, assuming you've bought from them in the past what kind of shipping times would i be expecting?

Well, I'm right in Vancouver, so I just pick stuff up in store 
tongue.gif
. I think they quote anywhere from ~3 days to around a week for shipping on their website. 

Most of their expensive stuff are all situated in one small corner of the store. The majority of stuff there is entry-level to mid-fi stuff. Especially their IEMs.

Dec 7, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #1,826 of 5,364
It's Amazon. They undercut like crazy. Not to mention that this is a sales price. Sale prices don't necessarily constitute the item in question being fake. The normal rate for these are usually around 170USD anyways. http://camelcamelcamel.com/Monster-Turbine-Audiophile-Speaker-ControlTalk/product/B002NTPLXM?active=summary&cpf[]=amazon&cpf[]=new
little reearch and found that i dont need to worry if m buying a product which is sold and dispached from amazon.I found out the ie80's for £212 and m tempted to buy them.

Dec 7, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #1,827 of 5,364
I know this is like comparing Apples and Oranges but I currently don't know what either Apples or Oranges taste like.

I am trying to get a feel for how the sound differs between Comparibly priced closed cans and IEMS.I don't care about the practical differences like isolation and comfort at this moment just their sonic qualities.

I am aware that they obviously have different strengths and weaknesses, what are these?
Also accepting their strengths are different would the overall soundquality be comparable or would one type be better for the same price?

Just for your info - I am looking to buy in the £100 - 150 price range and items on my radar are : HD25-1 II, ATH M50, GR07, Westone UM2/2, Cosmic Ears (if I can wait)

I listen to - Jazz, Prog Rock, Acoustic (singer/instrumental), Classical/Film

Dec 7, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #1,828 of 5,364
Well, I'm right in Vancouver, so I just pick stuff up in store :p . I think they quote anywhere from ~3 days to around a week for shipping on their website. 

Most of their expensive stuff are all situated in one small corner of the store. The majority of stuff there is entry-level to mid-fi stuff. Especially their IEMs.

after looking through there I think I'll stick to the local store I'm kind of set on the 215s but just noticed that cc has the s4i as well as the s5i on for 70

I know that the s4 has been considered by many on here overall worse than the 215 but outside of hf they have been said to be great iems.

would they be a better choice atm?

Dec 7, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #1,829 of 5,364
Hi,

I'm wondering which one of these will be more suitable for me the AT CK100 or CK100PRO?

Music Preferences -  Jpop, Jrock/metal, Female vocals, acoustic, Kpop.

Sound Preferences - Clarity, airy/transparent, mids, wide soundstage-has a live feel, as if you're listening to a live concert, smooth treble-is not harsh/sibilant.

Source - Will be pairing it with Sony Walkman Z. But I also have a Cowon J3.

Thanks
smile.gif

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #1,830 of 5,364
For the quickly approaching holidays I'm looking to pick up a new set of IEMs that have an inline mic/buttons to work with my iphone 4s.
Looking at the gear section I saw that, what might be the top rated ones are some Sony's and the klipsch s4i

So I wanted to check in and get other's opinions and possible other options.
Kind of working with a budget where I'd like to spend under 50 for them -if possible but open to checking out a pair slightly more expensive if it's really worth it.
I listen to a lot of music ranging from punk/hardcore to folk and jazz and sometimes, but rarely,  use my headphones for movies.
I take really good care of my headphones and electronics in general - so I've found what may not last well for some generally lasts a while for me.

Anyway, any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back