Buying portable or in-ear headphones? Seeking guidance? DON'T START A NEW THREAD. Ask for advice HERE!
Dec 6, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #1,801 of 5,364
EVENING CHAPS, NOOB HERE!
So, would you say the v moda m80 or sennheiser HD25-1 ii is good for pop/rock/jpop/jrock with techno sounds? Higher emphasis on vocals, instrumentals/treble, the techno sounds with a bit off bass but warm at the same time?
Sorry for the total noobery, answer greatly appreciated.

The HD25-1 is a better sounding HP IMO. They both are suitable for pop and rock. The real question it prolly going to be use. The Vmoda is more comfortable for long use. The HD25 has a pretty strong clamping force. The M80 also is designed to work with idevices and such and is stylish. The HD25 doesn't have those features but is gong to give better bass impact, extension and overall sound has an edge over the M80. They are both very nice sounding headphones IMO.

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #1,802 of 5,364
Need a great IEM for EDM (Trance/Eurodance). Will be using it in conjunction with my iPhone5 (no amp) for my commute to work.

Budget is ~$125

Thanks

Dec 6, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #1,805 of 5,364
Dec 6, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #1,807 of 5,364

So, would you say the v moda m80 or sennheiser HD25-1 ii is good for pop/rock/jpop/jrock with techno sounds? Higher emphasis on vocals, instrumentals/treble, the techno sounds with a bit off bass but warm at the same time?

The HD-25-1 might be a bit sharp in the treble for JPop, JRock. Vocals on the M-80s are smoother, warmer, generally better for pop. The HD-25-1 are slightly more aggressive and more fun for rock though. Any examples of the J-pop/J-rock that you're going for? Supercell, Perfume, Visual-Kei stuff, Pillows, m-flo, Tokyo Jihen? 

Quote:
Good in-ears for £100-£150?
Last year I bought a pair of Denon earphones, they were in ear and cost £140 from HMV. I loved them earphones until the cable snapped while I was asleep (god knows how that happened) and I returned them to HMV, they said they had no more Denon earphones so they had to give me some earphones of the same price, I thought that was fair enough until I realised these earphones were Dre Beats Tour earphones. Having no other choice I tried out the earphones and i've just had my 3rd pair stop working on me (the right side has stopped working).

I use earphones only to walk around with, to and from college etc, and the Denons were fine for that, but the huge cable of the Beats made it the biggest pain ever. The cable would tug against my clothes constantly, which pulled the earphones out slightly, and its hard enough to get a good fit out of these earphones in the first place.

After my 3rd pair had stopped working, instead of taking these back i'm just going to bite the bullet and realise that these earphones will haunt me forever until I get some new ones, does anyone know any good in ear monitors for around £100-£150 that are good?

I'd very much like some with a light cable, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks :).

The cables on the Tours are flat and unruly. So pretty much most other IEMs at that price would have better cables. Any idea on sound preferences/musical genres? 

Quote:
Hi I;m looking for advice on some IEM's. I'm a guitarist who is building a wired IEM to monitor my vocals and guitar. I need something fairly flat in the midrange to lower treble and no sibilance, the bass is not important. I will have some shelving bass and treble eq available on the board. I've been through some of the review pages and now have a big headache :wink: Price is $ 60 to $150 Any help would be grand...

HF5s are good for monitoring. Flat sound throughout the spectrum, maybe a slight tinge of treble emphasis. GR07, SE215, might be worth looking into as well, but probably won't be as flat as the Etys.

Quote:
@twinQY I looked into the reviews on various sites on the Phiaton PS 210 BTNC and they definitely seem like the way to go. Basically, my priority was Wireless headphones with the best sound quality, Bluetooth or Kleer. I looked into the Sennheiser MX W1 and some Sleek-Audio ones, which have Kleer technology, but I guess since they're kinda old now its tough to find them anywhere online. However, if you were to recommend an IEM and a bluetooth adapter, which ones would you recommend specifically?

At that price, you could get stuff like the GR01, GR07, ER4P, MTPC, W2, most of the mid-level IEMs are available at your price. Sound will generally be better than a dedicated bluetooth headset, since most of the money's going to SQ and build. Any of those would do well for your genres, just depends on the sound signature that you want.

Quote:
Need a great IEM for EDM (Trance/Eurodance). Will be using it in conjunction with my iPhone5 (no amp) for my commute to work.

Budget is ~$125

Thanks

FXT90 or the FXD80. Both JVCs sound stupendous with techno. No amp needed. If you can find the XBA-3 on sale again, go for that. Nice, full-bodied sound, great performer.

Dec 6, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #1,809 of 5,364
Quote:

The HD-25-1 might be a bit sharp in the treble for JPop, JRock. Vocals on the M-80s are smoother, warmer, generally better for pop. The HD-25-1 are slightly more aggressive and more fun for rock though. Any examples of the J-pop/J-rock that you're going for? Supercell, Perfume, Visual-Kei stuff, Pillows, m-flo, Tokyo Jihen? 

Quote:
Good in-ears for £100-£150?
Last year I bought a pair of Denon earphones, they were in ear and cost £140 from HMV. I loved them earphones until the cable snapped while I was asleep (god knows how that happened) and I returned them to HMV, they said they had no more Denon earphones so they had to give me some earphones of the same price, I thought that was fair enough until I realised these earphones were Dre Beats Tour earphones. Having no other choice I tried out the earphones and i've just had my 3rd pair stop working on me (the right side has stopped working).

I use earphones only to walk around with, to and from college etc, and the Denons were fine for that, but the huge cable of the Beats made it the biggest pain ever. The cable would tug against my clothes constantly, which pulled the earphones out slightly, and its hard enough to get a good fit out of these earphones in the first place.

After my 3rd pair had stopped working, instead of taking these back i'm just going to bite the bullet and realise that these earphones will haunt me forever until I get some new ones, does anyone know any good in ear monitors for around £100-£150 that are good?

I'd very much like some with a light cable, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks :).

The cables on the Tours are flat and unruly. So pretty much most other IEMs at that price would have better cables. Any idea on sound preferences/musical genres? 

Quote:
Hi I;m looking for advice on some IEM's. I'm a guitarist who is building a wired IEM to monitor my vocals and guitar. I need something fairly flat in the midrange to lower treble and no sibilance, the bass is not important. I will have some shelving bass and treble eq available on the board. I've been through some of the review pages and now have a big headache :wink: Price is $ 60 to $150 Any help would be grand...

HF5s are good for monitoring. Flat sound throughout the spectrum, maybe a slight tinge of treble emphasis. GR07, SE215, might be worth looking into as well, but probably won't be as flat as the Etys.

Quote:
@twinQY I looked into the reviews on various sites on the Phiaton PS 210 BTNC and they definitely seem like the way to go. Basically, my priority was Wireless headphones with the best sound quality, Bluetooth or Kleer. I looked into the Sennheiser MX W1 and some Sleek-Audio ones, which have Kleer technology, but I guess since they're kinda old now its tough to find them anywhere online. However, if you were to recommend an IEM and a bluetooth adapter, which ones would you recommend specifically?

At that price, you could get stuff like the GR01, GR07, ER4P, MTPC, W2, most of the mid-level IEMs are available at your price. Sound will generally be better than a dedicated bluetooth headset, since most of the money's going to SQ and build. Any of those would do well for your genres, just depends on the sound signature that you want.

Quote:

Budget is ~$125

Thanks

FXT90 or the FXD80. Both JVCs sound stupendous with techno. No amp needed. If you can find the XBA-3 on sale again, go for that. Nice, full-bodied sound, great performer.

Yes I agree with the underlined portion. For rock I would pick the HD-25-i-ii over the M-80, but for vocal-based stuff, the M-80 is a much better choice as the HD-25-i-ii tends to have quite a bit of sibilance (same goes for the Amperior) from my experiences.

Dec 6, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #1,811 of 5,364
Quote:
i have decided to buy the monster turbine pro gold.....£230 any comments on that?need bass and clear sound.

Ugh, gotta tell you, the UK price for these look terrible. The ones on the US amazon look much better, and they ship to the UK as well http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Turbine-Audiophile-Speaker-ControlTalk/dp/B002NTPLXM/ref=pd_sim_e_4, even when you factor in shipping, they'll turn out to be less pricey probably.

Plenty of bass with these. These have a very mixed, gooey, and warm sound though, so clarity is not their strong suit. More antithetic to their sound sig really, which is a bombastic, fun, bassy sound.

Dec 6, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #1,813 of 5,364
Quote:
I dont wana buy from amazon or ebay coz i dont wana risk buying fake ones xP wat about the shure se315....£194?and also are the sennheiser ie80 better than both of them?

Don't think anyone's reported fake MTPGs on amazons yet. It isn't really much of a worry to most people. Although they do exist, the 149 ones are sold straight from amazon, so even less of a risk. 

SE315s are just flat, boring and unassuming IMO. Haven't heard the IE80, but as it seems to be an improved IE8, which from memory doesn't sound as blended as the MTPG, might be worth looking into.

Dec 6, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #1,814 of 5,364
Don't think anyone's reported fake MTPGs on amazons yet. It isn't really much of a worry to most people. Although they do exist, the 149 ones are sold straight from amazon, so even less of a risk. 

SE315s are just flat, boring and unassuming IMO. Haven't heard the IE80, but as it seems to be an improved IE8, which from memory doesn't sound as blended as the MTPG, might be worth looking into.
i dont understand den y is amazon selling them for so cheap??

Dec 6, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #1,815 of 5,364

Users who are viewing this thread

Back