Buying new headphones - need help
Dec 4, 2010 at 8:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Motkeblah

New Head-Fier
Hey everybody,
I decided to buy new headphones (correctly using HD 201 which I bought like 6 months ago but aren't as great as I expected). Therefore, I wanna buy a new pair that will really "Shake" me.
Unfortunately I can only spend 110$ max, and I really need some help with deciding.

Mostly I hear Rock & Metal (Disturbed,In Flames, Linkin park, Breaking benjamin etc etc etc) But sometimes I also listen to RnB and pop.
I will use the headphones mostly at my home with my computer or with my Iphone 4.
I want On Ear, big headphones (like the Djs use).

From what I read there are few models that got me interested but obviously I could use more models if you got any:

Ath-50
Grado SR80i
ATH-PRO700 SV

I like beat, bass, clear sound, good quality and all these things :p
Please help me choose an upgrade! :]

Dec 4, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 9
"Shake" as is bass?

M50's are really good, especially for the price point. Clear, good extended lows, clear highs, but the mids are recessed a bit. But I think the general consensus that open cans are always better than closed cans at the same price point. Not too sure. I'm still a noob. Maybe someone else can chime in. I'm very happy with my M50's though.

Dec 4, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 9
Since you mainly listen to rock & metal, I'd recommend Grado over Audio Technica, by far. For R&B maybe the Audio Technica models, don't know as I never listen to that kind of music, but Grado are THE cans for a lot of rock/metal styles out there.

Dec 4, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #5 of 9
The Grados are generally considered better for rock and metal but they don't really have lots of bass and aren't as great for other genres.  The M50s do everything but larges orchestras quite well and their bass goes very deep as well.  The M50s are more comfy too.

Dec 4, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 9
grados are open headphones by the way. If you like bass, grado's maybe bass light for you, IMO. But, M50's have the most bass quantity out of the 3 you mentioned.

Dec 5, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #8 of 9
Grado's are certainly not without bass though. They don't have as much as M50's of DT770's, but to my ears they're not bass light as some AKG's can be.

The amount and quality of Grado's bass, positively surprised me when I bought my SR225's.

Unless you're a big basshead, bass on Grado's is fine. Again, R&B is another story, but I never listen to that. M50's are more allround, but if you listen for 80-90% to rock/metal, to be honest, I don't think M50's do rock/metal very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back